Zocalo Mexican Cuisine & Tequileria
620 W. 48th St.
Kansas City, MO 64112Neighborhood:
Plaza / Brookside
Contemporary MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Zocalo Mexican Cuisine & Tequileria
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.zocalokc.com/
- Phone: 8167565555
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm.
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 3:00pm - 12:00am, Friday - Saturday: 3:00pm - 1:00am, Sunday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm.
Weekend Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Mexican
- Executive Chef: Luke Pickett
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Acoustic shows every Tuesday starting at 7, DJ's playing your favorites every Thursday and Saturday starting at 10pm.
- Special Events: Live entertainment every Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday
Join us every Tuesday for Tuesday's at the Tequilaria, all day drink and food specials!
A word from Zocalo Mexican Cuisine & Tequileria
Zocalo Mexican Cuisine and Tequileria offers a fresh, contemporary approach to traditional Mexican Cuisine. Begin with a blend of sweet and spice with our Crab Ceviche or bacon-wrapped jalapeno poppers; enjoy our fresh Pan-Seared Sea Bass or Barbacoa Tacos with slowly braised, tender Short Rib delivered with impeccable, personalized service in a warm, comfortable environment. With an extensive tequila and mezcal list featuring over 60 tequilas and mezcals made with 100% agave, you can sip them neat, enjoy them among one of the many tequila flights available or simply in one of our hand-crafted, signature Margaritas. Come and indulge in an affordable, unique and unforgettable experience at Zocalo on Kansas City's Historic Country Club Plaza.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Zocalo Mexican Cuisine & Tequileria - Best Restaurants in Plaza / Brookside ›
Zocalo Mexican Cuisine & Tequileria reviews from OpenTable diners
52 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (23)fit for foodies (22)vibrant bar scene (20)hot spot (18)neighborhood gem (15)good for groups (14)late-night find (10)special occasion (10)great for lunch (8)romantic (7)great for brunch (5)scenic view (5)notable wine list (3)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Highly recommended !!!luvfoodieVIPDined on 10/11/2014First time visit to Zocalo ... I look forward to return. Nice menu ... many new items which I consider distnctively different than most Mexican restaurants in area. Service was attentive (but not bothersome) even on a busy-busy Saturday night. The pitchers of Margaritas was a great value (buzz-buzz). Highly recommended !!!Special Features:
- DisappointingempksDined on 10/9/2014After making a reservation for dinner at this restaurant mainly because of the location and the promise of a local craft beer on the bar menu, we were disappointed with both the food and the fact that the beer that we were anticipating was no longer available. Our server was excellent in both presentation and knowledge, but just adjacent to our table was group of off duty restaurant workers who were determined to let everyone in the restaurant hear how much fun they were having. All things considered I would never dine here again taking in to account the number of quality restaurant in this area.Special Features:
- Great drinksRuskerDined on 9/20/2014Imaginative and tasty mixed drink combinations. Plus the service was incredibly fast and reliable. The empanadas were fantastic!Special Features:
- What a great Plaza gem!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/13/2014Had not been here for a while as we live in south JoCo, but so glad we came back! There are some new menu items since our last visit (including some delicious mole enchiladas) and our server was very attentitive, but not overly so, which is appreciated. The real find on this visit was the wine list; we weren't in the mood for cocktails, so were pleasantly surprised by a very thoughtful - and reasonably priced - wine selection. Will definitely be back this fall!Special Features:
- It was okkarafromkcDined on 9/13/2014We were greeted by a very friendly host. However, I made reservations for 7 people, which they called earlier in the day and confirmed, yet when we arrived they only had a table for 6. Fortunately our 7th guest didn't make it so we were alright. I guess we would have had to find another restaurant (on a Sat one the Plaza) had we shown up with our 7th guest which would have been very frustrating considering we had a confirmed reservation. The service was great; our waitress really went out of her way and was fun and friendly. The food was just ok. The cheese dip was great, the tomatillo salsa, great! But all six of our entree's were just bland, especially for the price. The raspberry margarita was great.
- Just okLuv2eatoutDined on 9/11/2014Food was decent ...came out just barely warm looked like it sat under warmer for awhile. I had the traditional trio of enchiladas they were tasty but I would rate them just above average. Service was good but a little slow. We had large party of 8 so maybe that was part of problem (even though they were not busy at all). Not sure if I will go back.Special Features:
- Sunday dinnerChefArturoDined on 8/24/2014Their prime time seems to be Friday & Saturday. The second team was there for our Sunday dinner and although it was OK it was definitely a step below our previous Friday evening visit.
- Good Food, Good DrinksOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/15/2014Met some friends for Friday night drinks and dinner. Great service, great food, great drinks. Will def come back.Special Features:
- Always great food and ambience!RujoeDined on 8/14/2014I would go to this restaurant any time for brunch lunch or dinner the menu is excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reminds me of CaboJimNDined on 8/9/2014Authentic Mexican food. High quality drinks. Excellent service. Can opt for bar area or very quiet dining area.Special Features:
- Disappointed since last visitlovetoeatDined on 8/2/2014They no longer do Tuna Nachos but I should of looked at menu. I ordered a pitcher of White Sangria and when we asked the server why it tasted weird we were told it was made with Tequila in it. The scallops where pretty good flavor but over cooked and rubbery. My sea bass was aweful. Was worried it was bad so I didn't eat it. Waitress never came back after food was dropped for me to say anything. I think it might have been a manager that came by and filled our glassse. She also never told us therr were specials but did tell table next to us after we had already ordered. I wasn't in the mood to talk to a manager. We finally jusy got our bill and left. $100 for sub par experience of two is not worth it.
- Great Bar and OK FoodBH89Dined on 8/2/2014The bar is great, and if you are looking for a drink and something to munch on, their apps are good. They also have excellent drinks, with a good late night crowd. However, for an actual meal, there are plenty of other places on Plaza, or in Westport or Brookside that I prefer. The entrees the last couple times I have been have been warm at best, and way too salty.Special Features:
- Just OK...WantedagoodmealDined on 8/2/2014We were excited to try Zocalo for our anniversary. When we walked in we were impressed with the ambience...but that is about as good as it got. Being pregnant I was excited to get a "virgin" margarita only to find that they do not have a blender.... In a Mexican restaurant. We ordered two of the more pricier things on the menu, lobster tacos and sea bass and were VERY disappointed. Both meals were bland and tasteless. The rice tasted like boxed plain white rice and the lobster had zero flavor. I would save half of your money and go to a real Mexican joint off of Southwest Boulevard. I've never wrote a review before but it was that not worth it!Special Features:
- trishthedishVIPDined on 7/30/2014The food, service and atmosphere were outstanding. Me and five of my sisters enjoyed the Happy Hour specials in the bar area including Sangria, Margaritas, and the variety of fish/steak/chicken tacos, gaucomole, chips & salsa. Everything was delicious, and we had a great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BERGRVIPDined on 7/30/2014Dinner for four prior to the Justin Timberlake concert. Margaritas were fabulous. The queso fundido was the best I've ever had. Nachos can't be beaten! Looking forward to returning.Special Features:
- Great spotdatenightdinerVIPDined on 7/30/2014Fantastic Happy hour! Sincere wait staff, great tequila options, and an energetic environmentSpecial Features:
- warp speed serviceChefArturoDined on 7/26/2014The food & service was very good. Our waitress was very attentive & friendly. We will absolutely eat there again. However they brought the food out so fast we could not enjoy one course before the next course was put in front of us. We were in & out of the restaurant in 45 minutes. Sounds like a fast food establishment. The next time we go, now that we are experienced, we will tell the waitress to slow down the food preparation.
- Inventive Mexican and Great Wine!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/19/2014One of my favorite go-to spots when I want something different than ordinary Mexican. Had a great time on the back patio, and on this visit I realized that you have a surprisingly good wine list, we enjoyed having some different selections than what we see in most other restaurants.Special Features:
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/18/2014Awesome as always. We enjoy dining here because the food is consistently good and different from other Mexican restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ZocaloluvgoodfoodDined on 7/15/2014We went on Tuesday evening, which was 1/2 price taco night. Perfect, because the tacos were excellent! At our table we had fish, lobster and carnitas tacos. Lobster was filling, carnitas flavorful and the fish were light. I requested the fish be grilled since I am gluten sensitive. I also requested they be served on corn tortillas. Highly recommend if you are looking for a light dinner but my husband would've left a bit hungry. Maybe the battered would be more filling. Salsa Trio for an appetizer. We chose the mild, med (roasted tomatillo), and hot and were pleased with all except the roasted tomatillo. Hot is excellent if you are looking for a spicy salsa. We don't recommend the Mexican City Sampler. We'll go again!Special Features:
- Nothing to write home about.JMMHVIPDined on 7/13/2014We took a friend for her birthday for brunch. I called ahead to be sure we could get food without pepper. We were given a lunch menu, no brunch menu. It took over 1/2 hr to get wine mostly due to the server not listening or looking at what we said & pointed to. It was over an hour for food. She was nice, but slow & did not listen to the orders. After 1/2 hr she said I could not get an item due to pepper. The item was not even what I ordered. My daughter ordered food with no seasoning and was given a salty and peppery plate of food. While the manager is very nice and tried, I think the servers ineptitude botched all communication with the kitchen. The food for our guest was fine and I finally had a good meal. Too much work to eat there.
- Overall great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/12/2014When my date and i got to Zocalo we were seated immediately. I noticed there were several families surrounding us which made it a little more noisy than i would have preferred. However the food was great, the margarita was delicious and i would recommend Zocalo to anyone looking for a classier Mexican restaurant.Special Features:
- TomUdaManDined on 7/12/2014The food was ok but our group of 8 was crammed into a small booth. The dining room was hot and cramped and our table woobled, it's hard to eat on a table moving up and down! I won't go back.
- The following 330 reviews are from the Zocalo Mexican Cuisine & Tequileria reviews archive.
- Once AgainSouthPawVIPDined on 6/16/2014We hit up happy hour at the last minute. Great food and great service as usual. The bar was packed for the world cup so it was a little more rambunctious than usual! Still a winner though!Special Features:
- Happy Hour DinnerTimDVIPDined on 6/16/2014We went for happy hour dinner and had wonderful full-sized appetizers for our dinner. Delicious! Such a wonderful gem to the Plaza area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A-1 BrunchFood4thoughtDined on 6/15/2014As first timer's here, our late Father's Day brunch was absolutely perfect! Our waiter, Kyle , was very attentive and very personable. He had great suggestions on both food and drink. We ordered the huevos rancheros, which was very different from any other place, and was excellent; the flat iron steak melted in your mouth and the accompanying sauce was oh so good. Our other entree was a lobster-crab omelet, equally delicious, with big pieces of meat in it. For drinks we had peach margaritas and Mexican mules, a variation of Moscow mules but with more kick! Definitely would have them both again , although there were many other delicious sounding drinks that we 'd love to try. Zocalo's gets an A+ rating in our book!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beware of the WaiterHillerinoVIPDined on 6/9/2014My friend and I went there for dinner and the waiter was prompt to get our drinks but what ensued thereafter was ridiculous. He came by our table asking for our order every 5-7 minutes and when we said we would let him know as we were talking he paced back and forth past our table. It was clear we had to order so after about 20 minutes we did. The food was great but the waiter kept coming back every 5-7 minutes interrupting our conversation. He kept the drinks refilled, but once he head we didn't want dessert, he promptly brought the check and began pacing so he could be paid and no more refills. He wanted us in and he wanted us out. The restaurant wasn't crowded. I doubt seriously that I will return where I am not wanted.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food & CocktailsthecakechickDined on 6/7/2014This was my 2nd trip to Zocalo. I didn't give it 5 stars because even though we had a reservation thru open table and had confirmed over the phone they seemed confused when we arrived. Our table wasn't ready for our party of 8 and at the time they were not busy. They scrambled for a few minutes then took us back to a 4-top for some reason then sent us back to the waiting area. Eventually we pulled a few tables together ourselves. Mind you this all happened in a about a 10 minute span of time but something to be mindful of if you wanted to bring a big party in together. After that our waitress was great and very attentive overall the food was wonderful and they had a great craft cocktail list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazingdeafpyrotigerDined on 6/6/2014This restaurant literally made me think of Gordon Ramsay and kitchen nightmares and how a restaurant would be after his magic touch. Note the noise level is minimal for us coz we cannot hear so I could not assess that. Though it is a very cozy atmosphere in the middle of restaurant row of kcmo. Loved it here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a winner!SouthPawVIPDined on 6/2/2014We really like Zocalo! It is great for happy hour and late night happy hour. Food is excellent and services in the bar at least is usually spot on! We'll definitely be back!Special Features:
- Amazing dinner experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/30/2014Went Zocalo for dinner with a friend in town from STL. From the time we sat down to the time we left, 3 hours later, we had amazing time. Our server, Claire, was phenomenal and gave us great recommendations on drinks and food. My friend had never tried Fish tacos before and with some persuasion from me and Claire, we got him to try it. He was hooked. The food was cooked to perfection and the pitchers of margaritas were amazing. Could not have asked for a better dinner, and the fact that Zocalo is local makes it even better. Love supporting local restaurants since the food is typically local and the service is typically better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great experiencekcmadcowDined on 5/24/2014My husband flew in at 7 and I needed a nice place to take him at the last minute. I really wanted seafood but found Zocalo on open table and thought Mexican would be fine. They had a couple of seafood options that we ordered and were blown away by how great the food was. I would recommend to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OkayTreasaandJeremyCruzDined on 5/16/2014It was okay but will not be going back... The food selection was horrible the food wasn't anything fantastic.Special Features:
- Excellent Food, Service, AtmospherePlazaDinersDined on 5/10/2014The food was excellent! Starting from the 5 choices of salsas and 3 different types of queso dips to amazing unique twists on otherwise traditional entree options, Zocalo's food was outstanding. We also enjoyed the vibrant atmosphere. While they have a great outdoor patio seating option, even those diners that choose to stay indoors are able to enjoy the outdoor breezes with both sides of the restaurant opening up during ideal weather days. While we initially hesitated to dine at Zocalo because of some of the negative reviews regarding the service, my wife and I had a very different experience. We thought the service was excellent and very attentive.Special Features:
- DexcracerVIPDined on 5/5/2014I really enjoy your place typically. Our waitress this time was very poor however. She was crabby and inattentive. Forgot the entire second round of drinks for over thirty minutes for my date and her friend. Then when she finally brought them and we told her it was too late she still charged us for them...at least we got a table outside and the weather was nice. And the fish tacos were quite good.Special Features:
- LoveStarrDined on 5/5/2014Second time here & it was great! It finally warmed up so the patio options were great! Love the guacamole & salsaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Open-Outdoor Atmosphere GreatBBDCDined on 5/3/2014- Having both sides of the restaurant open, on such a magnificent day was incredible. - Mixed drinks were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed the back patioGwenDined on 4/20/2014I enjoyed sitting on the back patio sipping coffee and watching the Plaza world go by. My mushroom fritatta was delicious and the fried potatos with peppers were just right with regard to crispness.Special Features:
- Not a great experienceenjoynewplacesDined on 4/12/2014The service was not good, definitely not the "Plaza" feel from most other restaurants down there. We were sat at our table and witnessed many servers standing at the till as opposed to visiting our table. The food was okay. We will not be back as the service was poor and the food was not that great. I would not recommend.
- MexicanOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/12/2014My only issue is a personal one the dish I had was the Mexico city sampler everything was covered in a lot of sauces and hard to tell what was whatSpecial Features: