Zocalo Back Bay
35 Stanhope Street
Boston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Zocalo Back Bay
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.zocalobackbay.com/
- Phone: 6174567849
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Thursday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Brunch: Saturday-Sunday 11am-3pm; Dinner: Sunday - Tuesday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm, Wednesday - Saturday: 3:00pm - 11:30pm,
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Executive Chef: Jaime Castillo
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch
- Cross Street: between Berkeley Street and Clarendon Street at the corner of Cahners Place
- Public Transit: Orange Line to Back Bay Station
Green Line to Copley Station or Arlington Station
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Street Parking & Parking Garage at 100 Clarendon Street, Boston, MA. Nightly Rate: 5 pm- 7 am $10, Daily Rate: 2 hours or less $18
A word from Zocalo Back Bay
Contemporary Mexican cuisine based on traditional culinary recipes. The outstanding food, impeccable service & vibrant decor offers an unforgettable experience for all.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Zocalo Back Bay reviews from OpenTable diners
101 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (43)good for groups (37)neighborhood gem (36)fit for foodies (26)great for lunch (20)hot spot (19)vibrant bar scene (18)great for brunch (15)special occasion (14)romantic (10)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (4)notable wine list (2)Show More
- Great guacamole - okay food.FoodieBosDined on 8/30/2014Had the pork carnitas and it was 6 small cubes of pork on guacamole. It came with rice that was dry and beans that taisted as if they came out of a can. It was very disappointing for $22. My friend had the chicken enchaladas with mole sauce and it was dry. Rather a disappointing experience given all the good reviews. I am not eager to come back.Special Features:
- Nice gemIliaDined on 8/25/2014The family wanted to try a different atmosphere, we chose a table outside the servers were very accomidating. Notice there was no ice in our waters, apps were delicious, and filling (amazing guacamole & sampler)my husband and I ended splitting our meals which was told to the server but she did not have the meal split for us which was ok if she would have brought us an extra side plate so that we could share the meal. Small details go a long way. Thank you for a really nice meal. We can see us going back for a second try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okay...EpicureanVIPDined on 8/15/2014Food was pretty good, but the service wasn't. We kept having to try and get our waitor's attention, just to get water. He was not very attentive.Special Features:
- Great place!KSpoChicagoDined on 8/8/2014There's nothing traditional about this Mexican restaurant - from the food and drinks to the service and atmosphere. I was only in Boston one night and I'm so happy I found this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KmacjpDined on 8/2/2014This is my go-to spot for dinner and drinks before seeing shows at The Lyric Stage, which is right across the street. The food is very fresh and service is professional and quick, but not rushed. For pre-show dining, I would recommend making a reservation, just to be on the safe side, because it can get crowded. It's a little loud in there, but it's a fun, festive kind of loud. The clientele is usually a nice mix of couples, dates, groups of friends and families.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Loud, Loud and crowded!TeaterDined on 8/2/2014We were looking for a weekend lunch/brunch spot for our multi_age group! We liked the friendliness of the staff, the colorful interior space and everything we sampled from the brunch menu was good. This place was so loud it was hard to think and near impossible to talk. It seems that they serve bottomless pitchers of drinks at brunch, which is why it is that loud. Good for some , but not for us.Special Features:
- Very Good MexicanTorontoDined on 7/30/2014Very good neighborhood restaurant. Consistent Mexican food, friendly staff provides good service. Some outdoor seating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My first visitOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/25/2014I really enjoyed Zocalo -- the service was fast and friendly, and the food was good! Also, the sparkling sangria is delicious and made with the right proportions. I will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Mexican in Back BayMeghanDined on 7/22/2014Ambiance was fun, trendy and the service was excellent. Food was even better -- your typical Mexican staples like guac and enchiladas with the option to go bold with some fun dishes like the chipotle chicken. (Highly recommended!) Good cocktails too and it wasn't too busy right after work -- great happy hour spot as well!Special Features:
- Excellent food and fun!!Luv2zocaloDined on 7/19/2014We just love zocalo! The food is amazing and the staff are incredible, especially Antonio, he makes us feel so special every time. We have been going to zocalo for about a year now, we have recommended it to all our friends and not one person has been disappointed. It is our favorite place to have a special night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but bad serviceLaurDined on 6/28/2014Our food was great. However, it took forever for food and drinks to arrive. Our waiter also: forgot to bring us chips for our guacamole and forgot to bring a spoon with the soup that one person ordered. He also didn't check in with our table, so when we wanted more drinks (or chips. Or a spoon.) we had to spend a long time trying to flag him down.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good placeBackBayRobDined on 6/25/2014Food, especially the salad, was excellent. The place was really hopping on a hot summer Wednesday night.Special Features:
- SunshineDined on 6/22/2014We had a large reservation at 7:30 but ended up going an hour early to watch the soccer game. They were happy to get our table together early for us! Very accommodating!Special Features:
- NoisyanonymousDined on 6/21/2014It was so noisy that even after we moved tables I could not hear the person sitting next to me.
- Mixed BagmeeatingDined on 6/15/2014We made a reservation through Open Table, and at first the maitre de tried to seat us at a bar table in the middle of the room, with high chairs. I found this unacceptable. I know they were busy (it was father's day), but still. Then, a table opened up near the front of the room, close to being outside, and they were going to give it to someone else who hadn't had a reservation. BECAUSE I WAS ASSERTIVE I got that table, and not for any other reason. Enchiladas with mole sauce tasted like milk chocolate. Cuban sandwich was great. Mixed mixed bag -- not sure it's worth another visit.Special Features:
- A Short LifeJeroboamVIPDined on 6/15/2014Father's Day Brunch. No bloody Maria's as the manager forgot to order tomato juice. Eggs in huevos overcooked and hard. Had to go looking for our other drinks. Guacamole was very good but needed salt. Nobody cared and nobody was in charge.
- foodluverVIPDined on 6/13/2014I thought this place would be a standard taco joint, but it's better and more creative than that. The sangria is always tasty and refresshing. I chose to get a few small plates and share with friends. Everything we ate was fresh and scrumptious. We didn't have dessert so I can't comment on that part of the menu. My biggest complaint was that the space is a little crowded and it's gets full quickly. The food is worth it though. Will come back again.Special Features:
- Great! (As always)NickDined on 6/11/2014Four of us for dinner. Cocktails spot-on - although I would say my second mojito was better than my first, crisper and more bubbly without losing potency. Minor disappointment in the avocado sticks, batter fried on a plate with sauce. A little on the bland side for me, but my wife loved them and we all agreed they were unique. House guac nails it every time. Chips and amazing frickin' salsa should be sold by bags and gallons! The seafood stew was a rich and kicky Southwest variation on an Italian favorite. That stuffed pork chop was a surprise to see on the Mexican menu, and got raves. Vegetable quesadilla, with the silky mashed red bliss and cheese as a base, is wife's favorite anywhere. Our server, Alyssa, is always awesome - ask for her!Special Features:
- TastyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/11/2014Great pre-show spot when attending Lyric Stage. Guacamole was fantastic, made right in front of us. I had salad with chicken and the house margharita. We were seated right away and had a very good experience. Definitely will go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too loud for conversationBoston94VIPDined on 6/6/2014I like the food here and am a repeat customer, but would be hesitant to return after the very loud experience on Friday night. My friend and I couldn't hear each other unless we were shouting; it definitely impacted our dining experience. If you want to actually talk with your dinner companion, go elsewhere.
- I wanted to like the restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/31/2014Arrived 30 minutes early, but they wouldn't seat us until our reservation time, despite the fact that there were numerous empty tables that were still empty 2 hours later. Service was VERY slow. The food looked good, but was bland and totally lacking in flavor. I would not return to this restaurant. The free salsa was good and the drinks were also good.
- Great food, drinks and deserts!!Tommy1219Dined on 5/31/2014The food was great! The white sangria ... Delicious! And the desert I had, think it was something like cake con lechwe... To Die For!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun TimesbrunchbonanzaDined on 5/31/2014Went to brunch with a colleague and partook in the two hour mimosa brunch. Great drinks, great service! We enjoyed our time there so much that we ended up staying longer than two hours, trying different drinks. It was a beautiful day and Zocala has outdoor seating so we were able to enjoy the weather. We will definitely be going back!Special Features:
- Good EatsbmilDined on 5/26/2014My favorite Mexican joint in Boston. Great chips, salsa, and tacos.Special Features:
- Great experiencefoodieDined on 5/24/2014Great experience with the 2 hour mimosa brunch. Wonderful staff, great food, and delicious drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazingkristin12345Dined on 5/18/2014Nothing better than a breakfast burrito and bottomless mimosas. Seriously amazing. Perfect sunday funday.Special Features:
- Delicious take on Mexican cuisineFlarghDined on 5/16/2014No simple taco shop here. Zocalo has an imaginative and delicious menu with old standbys and new cuisine. They also have a robust gluten free menu for those who are concerned. They make guacamole for you on the spot and it's delicious. Their bar is well stocked with tequilas and they have a great cocktail list.Special Features:
- Tasty and ClassyMowilzzDined on 5/15/2014This restaurant is delicious! It's a little expensive so make sure to go for their lunch menu, which is considerably less expensive ;) Went for my best friend's 21st Birthday and the drink selections were impeccable. The salads were HUGE, guac was fresh and delish (although pretty expensive, it was handmade fresh on the spot). When you first look at your your plate you might think, "I want more food," but it's actually SUPER filling. The ingredients are fresh, yummy, and hit the spot perfectly. They even provided a complimentary mini dessert for her birthday with a cute candle! Would definitely recommend for my next event!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful outdoor diningOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/11/2014great guacamole- margaritas-outside on a perfect night- what could be better?Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/5/2014Excellent food. I had the mariscada and it was delicious. The guacamole was outstanding and my companions all enjoyed their entrees. Of course, since it was Cinco de Mayo, the noise was almost overwhelming but the maitre'd sat us by a door so we could hear one another. Very accomodating.Special Features:
- The following 245 reviews are from the Zocalo Back Bay reviews archive.
- brunch at zocaloFoodieTexaninBostonDined on 5/4/2014I had such a fun time with my group at this restaurant! The food was amazing...the mimosas were practically bottomless...and the music was engaging! I love discovering new places in Boston and I'm glad that I found this one! Will definitely return!Special Features:
- Delayed but well cared for!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/3/2014We were disappointed that our table wasn't ready when we arrived but it was nice that the manager acknowledged the delay and took care of us. Great night and always great food!Special Features:
- Okay food, bad service, bad barDkpool142Dined on 5/3/2014We were seated after about a ten minute wait which was fine because it was a busy Saturday night. Once we were seated it became a checklist of terrible service: 15 minute wait for a waiter, bar had no knowledge of standard cocktails, slow water refills. The most annoying was it was clear they were not ready to start serving us any apps, table chips, or water until about half an hour when more people were seated around us. So we literally waited 30 minutes at our table and had nothing in that time frame. We usually will leave or grab the manager but the waiter apologized each time and we were resigned that switching restaurants on a sat night would be crowded everywhere. When we did eat dishes were mostly good. Will not return.
- Awesome Brunch Spot!rachcapDined on 4/27/2014I went here with 3 other people for the bubbly brunch and it was definitely worth it. Only 3 of us went off of the bubbly menu, and we got through 3 carafes of champagne drinks. The chicken enchiladas with the ranchero sauce were delicious! It came with great home fries and black beans as well. Ask for a side of habanero sauce for the potatoes! We also started with their guacamole which was creamy and flavorful, but not over garlic-y. Everyone else loved their dishes- a torta, french toast, and the breakfast burrito. Their salsa that they bring to the table is SO GOOD and really different than other restaurants. I will definitely go back!Special Features:
- Good Mexican Food in Boston!seekingvegetariansDined on 4/27/2014We had a fun Sunday Brunch at Zocalo. It's hidden away so use your GPS. Make reservations first! It's one big loud room though, hard to have conversation. The food was great. The Bloody Mary didn't pack any punch but very spicy. Nice wait staff, efficient. Interesting, eclectic decor. We'd go again but hope for a quieter time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good timeChristinaDDined on 4/26/2014Had a good time, food was good. I am a vegetarian so I appreciated the entrees that were marked vegetarian friendly. Server was sweet, he just didn't pay enough attention. Took awhile for drinks and to order. Had to get his attention a few times to fill waters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/25/2014The drinks were great. Got Midori margaritas. Made awesome! Our wait staff was very friendly. The food was also Great. I've been there before and it's so tasty. Got the queso fundido with chorizo. Scrumptious!! Got insalata Mexicana salad with grilled chicken. Was cooked nicely. Really fresh and great dressing. Can't wait to go back. Just wish it wasn't so loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lo21Dined on 4/20/2014This was a great brunch spot! I would definitely recommend the Mimosa Brunch - great food and awesome flavors of mimosas for such a great price!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/16/2014Best Mexican food in Boston. Friendly and efficient service. On the noisy side.Special Features:
- Loved it!Diningout14VIPDined on 4/13/2014I was so impressed with this restaurant from the moment I walked through the door and was greeted by the bubbly warm hostess. We had a nice cozy table and the waitor Eugene was very attentive. He seemed to sincerely care about us and his job. The food was delicious in every way!Special Features: