Zocalo Back Bay
35 Stanhope Street
Boston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Zocalo Back Bay
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.zocalobackbay.com/
- Phone: (617) 456-7849
- Hours of Operation:
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Executive Chef: Jaime Castillo
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch
- Cross Street: between Berkeley Street and Clarendon Street at the corner of Cahners Place
- Public Transit: Orange Line to Back Bay Station
Green Line to Copley Station or Arlington Station
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Street Parking & Parking Garage at 100 Clarendon Street, Boston, MA. Nightly Rate: 5 pm- 7 am $10, Daily Rate: 2 hours or less $18
A word from Zocalo Back Bay
Contemporary Mexican cuisine based on traditional culinary recipes. The outstanding food, impeccable service & vibrant decor offers an unforgettable experience for all.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Zocalo Back Bay reviews from OpenTable diners
85 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (39)good for groups (37)great for outdoor dining (32)fit for foodies (25)hot spot (18)vibrant bar scene (17)great for lunch (13)romantic (11)great for brunch (11)special occasion (7)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (5)Show More
- Taco NightOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/17/2014We happened to be there for "Taco Night" - $2/$3 Tacos which were delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Optiondcl23VIPDined on 11/15/2014We started with the grilled fish tacos, which were a little disappointing. The menu indicates they have a chipotle mayo and cilantro pesto, but they were very mild - I wanted a little more heat from the chipotle. There also seemed to be a third sauce - like a dark mole. The three sauces together on a small taco was much too much and I could barely taste the fish. The radish provided a nice texture. The complimentary chips and salsa were good - a smoky salsa with a nice combination subtle heat and sweetness. For an entree, I really enjoyed the grilled shrimp marinated in chimichurri sauce. The shrimp may have been a tad overcooked, but were well seasoned and a sufficient portion (8). The guacamole paired well with the rice, and the black beans were wonderfully seasoned. Mexican staples of rice and beans - when done right - can really elevate a dish, and Zocalo nailed these. A reasonably priced option for this part of Boston.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not bad, but go elsewhere.KRRKVIPDined on 10/27/2014I enjoyed the food. I hate writing bad reviews so I'll just leave it at this: I was very disappointed by nearly everything and it was clear the restaurant doesn't know what they're doing and doesn't really care to fix it. Don't be fooled by the location.
- Was a nice dinnerStarDined on 10/26/2014This was a nice Mexican restaurant. The food was decent and the service was alright. The tables for two people though are way too close together. We were on top of a date table and it was uncomfortable for both parties.Special Features:
- noisy but funLindagsDined on 10/26/2014Not a place for quiet conversation. Extremely noisy. But the Mimosa brunch is a gteat deal!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mimosa BrunchYumEDined on 10/19/2014This is a great spot for an inexpensive brunch with a group. The pitchers of Mimosas are fun, the food is flavorful, fresh, and very nicely presented, and the service was quick and efficient. My only complaint was the noise level-- it was way too loud. The breakfast burrito was fantastic!Special Features:
- Excellent brunchkarlsDined on 10/18/2014The brunch scene was comparable to those found in big east coast brunch cities like NYC and DC. $10 carafes of mimosas and reasonably priced, tasty food is definitely something I will be coming back to Zocalo for. Can't recommend enough!Special Features:
- Great guacamole!outandaboutDined on 10/11/2014Food is good, guacamole outstanding and great location! Make a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tryall3Dined on 10/9/2014I think that the food was alright. It didn't taste very authentic, rather an Americanized version of Mexican food but not bad. The service was very good. A bit too loud for romantic dinners, so if you are thinking of taking your partner there just be aware that it might be hard to hear. The place had a nice ambient though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great for pre-show dinnerNotSoFitFoodieDined on 10/4/2014We went here at 6pm before an 8pm show at the Lyric Stage Company. The food was delicious and the drinks were superb. It is definitely a bit pricey for mexican and margaritas, but it was good. Our server, Caesar, was great. Overall I would definitely recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FunJohnnyGDined on 10/4/2014We got there on the early side (530ish) on Saturday eve and it was fairly empty. Was with another couple, had a couple drinks and enjoyed the chips and awesome salsa prior to ordering. The place started to really fill up after 6:00 and then the vibe started. Food is excellent traditional Mexican fare. They've got some nice boutique tequila drinks. We all had something different to eat and drink, and we all left happy. Will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hip, not mexicanINPRbostonDined on 10/4/2014Great inhouse made chips. Thats it. The guacamole has too much lime(lime keeps it green preventing avocado to turn brown a few drops should be enough). Salsas are sweet!! Whatever they serve, definitely not Mexican food. Nice decor, too loud hiphop music.
- Delicioussolomona152Dined on 9/30/2014The food was some of the best I've had in Boston. The menu had the steadfast favorites (like enchiladas and tacos) and some surprising twists (roasted corn-- which sounds simple but seriously blew my mind). I definitely recommend getting any sort of sample plate just because it's all so good, you'll want to try it all! Could use a little extra spice-- but better to add spice afterwards than get something inedible. We went late on a Tuesday evening and it was still really busy though so I'd recommend making a reservation. VERY lively atmosphere despite being a small space.Special Features:
- Great foodsouthiefoodieDined on 9/30/2014This was a great find, thanks Gilt City! The entrees were "normal" food with a mexican flare, not just tacos and nachos. I was impressed. The margaritas were also very strong. Did not care for the environment. Just one big room with a lot of tables, you kinda feel like you're on top of the people next to you. There was a nice little outdoor seating area as well. I would recommend this place for dinner with friends.Special Features:
- Good findKelnot1030Dined on 9/25/2014We were visiting Boston and was in need of dinner. We found this gem and was thrilled. The food and margaritas were amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Mexican FoodFloridaTriciaDined on 9/22/2014Having lived in Texas most of my life and eating Mexican food every week, this place ranks with the best. The corn appetizer stole the meal. Fajitas were also very good. Highly recommended!!Special Features:
- Amazing Mexican!MadzDined on 9/20/2014We went here for my husbands birthday and it was great - good drinks, exceptional food, great service. The chiles rellenos are out of this world. Try the guacamole as well.Special Features:
- Bottomless Brunch in BostonME87FoodieDined on 9/14/2014Almost. Being from NYC and a brunch enthusiast I was determined to find a great brunch option in Boston, and we found it. The restaurant is no longer doing bottomless, but they have a deal thats almost the same thing. I also enjoyed all the pitcher options with the flavorsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pretty good, guac not worth itlilly4Dined on 9/11/2014I loved my entree, (small dish steak quesadilla was more than enough for one) however the guacamole was underwhelming, especially for $11.50 a bowl. The complimentary chips and salsa were also very good! Service could have been quicker, it wasn't too busy a night but maybe there weren't a lot of servers working on a weeknight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/10/2014Pre theater drinks and apps. Not impressed with the margarita, the too sweet salsa, the tiny apps, or the service...I really wanted to love this place as I have gone to their other restaurants and liked them and we are doing a subscription at the lyric theater. We were the first ones there and then it got busy. Server was totally inattentive and had to be tacked down for the check.
- Kman25Dined on 8/31/2014V quick service by friendly wait staff. Food was average. Some people take that as a negative. - it's not meant to be - just pretty box standard Mexican food - nothing amazing about it but not bad either.Special Features:
- Great guacamole - okay food.FoodieBosDined on 8/30/2014Had the pork carnitas and it was 6 small cubes of pork on guacamole. It came with rice that was dry and beans that taisted as if they came out of a can. It was very disappointing for $22. My friend had the chicken enchaladas with mole sauce and it was dry. Rather a disappointing experience given all the good reviews. I am not eager to come back.Special Features:
- Great, fun Mexican placeBonceDined on 8/28/2014I really enjoyed my meal here - better than many other Mexican meals I've had in Boston. It was quite a noisy restaurant but not too much to the detriment of our conversation. Friendly staff and quick service. I'd happily go again.Special Features:
- Very good Mexican'sBohioKidDined on 8/27/2014Nice place, very good food and great service. Terrific Guacamole.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice gemIliaDined on 8/25/2014The family wanted to try a different atmosphere, we chose a table outside the servers were very accomidating. Notice there was no ice in our waters, apps were delicious, and filling (amazing guacamole & sampler)my husband and I ended splitting our meals which was told to the server but she did not have the meal split for us which was ok if she would have brought us an extra side plate so that we could share the meal. Small details go a long way. Thank you for a really nice meal. We can see us going back for a second try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okay...EpicureanVIPDined on 8/15/2014Food was pretty good, but the service wasn't. We kept having to try and get our waitor's attention, just to get water. He was not very attentive.Special Features:
- Great place!KSpoChicagoDined on 8/8/2014There's nothing traditional about this Mexican restaurant - from the food and drinks to the service and atmosphere. I was only in Boston one night and I'm so happy I found this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KmacjpDined on 8/2/2014This is my go-to spot for dinner and drinks before seeing shows at The Lyric Stage, which is right across the street. The food is very fresh and service is professional and quick, but not rushed. For pre-show dining, I would recommend making a reservation, just to be on the safe side, because it can get crowded. It's a little loud in there, but it's a fun, festive kind of loud. The clientele is usually a nice mix of couples, dates, groups of friends and families.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Loud, Loud and crowded!TeaterDined on 8/2/2014We were looking for a weekend lunch/brunch spot for our multi_age group! We liked the friendliness of the staff, the colorful interior space and everything we sampled from the brunch menu was good. This place was so loud it was hard to think and near impossible to talk. It seems that they serve bottomless pitchers of drinks at brunch, which is why it is that loud. Good for some , but not for us.Special Features:
- Very Good MexicanTorontoVIPDined on 7/30/2014Very good neighborhood restaurant. Consistent Mexican food, friendly staff provides good service. Some outdoor seating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My first visitOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/25/2014I really enjoyed Zocalo -- the service was fast and friendly, and the food was good! Also, the sparkling sangria is delicious and made with the right proportions. I will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 267 reviews are from the Zocalo Back Bay reviews archive.
- Great Mexican in Back BayMeghanDined on 7/22/2014Ambiance was fun, trendy and the service was excellent. Food was even better -- your typical Mexican staples like guac and enchiladas with the option to go bold with some fun dishes like the chipotle chicken. (Highly recommended!) Good cocktails too and it wasn't too busy right after work -- great happy hour spot as well!Special Features:
- Excellent food and fun!!Luv2zocaloDined on 7/19/2014We just love zocalo! The food is amazing and the staff are incredible, especially Antonio, he makes us feel so special every time. We have been going to zocalo for about a year now, we have recommended it to all our friends and not one person has been disappointed. It is our favorite place to have a special night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but bad serviceLaurDined on 6/28/2014Our food was great. However, it took forever for food and drinks to arrive. Our waiter also: forgot to bring us chips for our guacamole and forgot to bring a spoon with the soup that one person ordered. He also didn't check in with our table, so when we wanted more drinks (or chips. Or a spoon.) we had to spend a long time trying to flag him down.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good placeBackBayRobDined on 6/25/2014Food, especially the salad, was excellent. The place was really hopping on a hot summer Wednesday night.Special Features:
- SunshineDined on 6/22/2014We had a large reservation at 7:30 but ended up going an hour early to watch the soccer game. They were happy to get our table together early for us! Very accommodating!Special Features:
- NoisyanonymousDined on 6/21/2014It was so noisy that even after we moved tables I could not hear the person sitting next to me.
- Mixed BagmeeatingDined on 6/15/2014We made a reservation through Open Table, and at first the maitre de tried to seat us at a bar table in the middle of the room, with high chairs. I found this unacceptable. I know they were busy (it was father's day), but still. Then, a table opened up near the front of the room, close to being outside, and they were going to give it to someone else who hadn't had a reservation. BECAUSE I WAS ASSERTIVE I got that table, and not for any other reason. Enchiladas with mole sauce tasted like milk chocolate. Cuban sandwich was great. Mixed mixed bag -- not sure it's worth another visit.Special Features:
- A Short LifeJeroboamVIPDined on 6/15/2014Father's Day Brunch. No bloody Maria's as the manager forgot to order tomato juice. Eggs in huevos overcooked and hard. Had to go looking for our other drinks. Guacamole was very good but needed salt. Nobody cared and nobody was in charge.
- foodluverVIPDined on 6/13/2014I thought this place would be a standard taco joint, but it's better and more creative than that. The sangria is always tasty and refresshing. I chose to get a few small plates and share with friends. Everything we ate was fresh and scrumptious. We didn't have dessert so I can't comment on that part of the menu. My biggest complaint was that the space is a little crowded and it's gets full quickly. The food is worth it though. Will come back again.Special Features: