187 10th Street NE
Atlanta, GA 30309Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.richardsandoval.com/zocalo
- Phone: 4042497576x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday : 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Executive Chef: Lucero Martinez-Obregon
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch
- Entertainment: We have the answer to your late-night cravings.
Whether you"re in the mood for a little more dancing or some late night snacks, Noche Zocalo will have you covered. Stay tuned for more details.
A word from Zocalo
Zocalo is Midtown Atlanta’s Mexican kitchen and cantina serving authentic upscale Mexican comfort food, margaritas and handcrafted cocktails. Under the leadership of executive chef Lucero Martinez-Obregon, Zocalo is part of the award-winning group Richard Sandoval Restaurants and serves lunch, brunch and dinner daily.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Zocalo reviews from OpenTable diners
6 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance3Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (3)great for lunch (2)neighborhood gem (2)good for groups (2)vibrant bar scene (1)late-night find (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Excellent Mole SauceBBQerVIPDined on 8/2/2014Zocalo has been known to be one of the better traditional Mexican places in Atlanta. If you go, look beyond the typical tacos and enchiladas to try their meat dishes. While more expensive, their Chicken Mole dish is excellent, a bit larger than most dishes, and worth a few dollars more. Their mole sauce is wonderful, complex, but not overpowering to the chicken. It's also served with deliciously creamy milk-rice on the side, which I have never seen served at a Latin restaurant in Atlanta. Despite the excellent food, the service this day was very lacking. We were one of only about 3-4 tables at the time, yet our drinks ran low on 3 separate occasions. We had to yell for the server, who put down her phone, and refilled us.Special Features:
- So disappointingTGirlDined on 7/11/2014We had a terrific meal here six months ago and couldn't wait to share that dish with out of town friends. Service was very slow as there were not enough waitstaff once things got busy. We ordered our highly anticipated dish. When it (finally) came out, it was nothing like the dish we had ordered six months before though it was described the same way on the menu. Upon inquiry, the waiter said the restaurant ownership had changed hands and he had never seen the dish done the way we described as he'd only been there a month and a half. It was an embarrassing outing as our friends have high expectations as we are foodies.
- AuthenticPBchVisitorDined on 6/7/2014Authentic Mexican/Latin cuisine...not TexMex. Great margaritas. Rustic deck-style atmosphere. Always worth itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 16 reviews are from the Zocalo reviews archive.
- Missing ManagementOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/24/2014The waiter dropped a full bowl of salsa sauce in my back. Accidents happen, that's OK. Had to take off my shirt so the waiter could rush it to the kitchen to try to wash out the red stain from a light-colored shirt. Sadly, the manager was AWOL, except to bring me a tee shirt to put on. At no point did he appear to say "we'll take care of the shirt," or "I'm so sorry." He left the waiter alone to deal with it and be on the hook for cleaning the shirt on his own. In a serious restaurant management would have stepped up to the plate, PLUS, dinner would have been comp'ed. But we never even got so much as an offer for a free dessert, much less comp the dinner, as we walked out carrying a soaking wet shirt. Very, very bad form.
- ExpensiveMattDined on 5/16/2014I thought the food was OK. Food presentation was good but very expensive. Special appetizer, $12 for 6 chips with a teaspoon of Guacamole.Special Features:
- Bustling bar with just OK serviceateamfoodieDined on 5/5/2014It was the worst idea to try Zocalo on Cinco de Mayo b/c the service left much to be desired. Food was tasty but the cleanliness factor was questionable. After someone in our party noticed no soap in the bathroom the night went downhill. They didn't order food. Only reason we stayed is we had ordered a pitcher of margaritas and others wanted to eat since we waited so long to sit in the first place. Also the server never brought items that we ordered but still placed on bill. He was very nice but seemed overwhelmed and inexperienced. I'd give it another shot but others in my party have sworn off Zocalo.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great staff...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/5/2014Made reservations at Zocalo on Cinco de Mayo, probably the busiest day of the year for a Mexican restaurant. They accepted the reservations and did a fabulous job with our table service. Food quality/taste was moderate and there was a big error with serving non-vegetarian beans to two vegetarians at the table. This put a serious damper on the meal but drinks were great and our waiter was fabulous. I would recommend this spot for a fun, outdoor bar experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bland foodatldinesalotVIPDined on 4/23/2014Food was presented beautifully, looked like it was going to be amazing...but it had no flavor whatsoever. The meat tasted like the queso which tasted like the guacamole, etc. Both people in my party had the same experience so it wasn't just my tastebuds. Salsa was watery too.
- Better than before, work neededERodVIPDined on 4/12/2014Food quality and presentation is great, the table-side guac is Yumy and the chips fresh. Service painfully slow often needing to remind your waiter what you are waiting for having to find her by getting up as she was not around for a long time. Drinks take even longer than food. simple dinner (guac and a main course) took over 2 hrs. When i got there for my reservation they said it would be while as other people showed up and were waiting before me, had to push why you make a reservation in the first place and got a table some 10-15 min after my scheudled time. I hope they fix the logistics before people get fed up and stop going, the food is good and the prices are fair, the refresh they did to the place is niceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome patioOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/12/2014Great patio! Fun place to hang out on a nice day! Queso was great and so were the tacos. The salsa could be better. The tropical margarita had a little too much sugar flavor mix and not enough tequila.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Strong drinks, terrible foodSAMafDined on 4/11/2014I've been here a couple of times and each time I keep hoping the food quality would improve...each time I'm disappointed. Their tomato based salsas are basically ketchup and they seem to be afraid of spices of any kind. The drinks are wicked strong, however $40 for a pitcher of margaritas is ridiculous .Special Features:
- Great place to eat!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/1/2014- Free valet parking - Great mexican food (good selection, taste, etc.) - Easy to find location - Indoor/Outdoor eating area (kinda cold for winter) I would definitely go back!Special Features:
- Could have been goodignoredDined on 2/22/2014The food was good. I love the salsa and we tried the chipotle queso dip which was great. However, the service was very poor. We constantly had to ask for water or margaritas. We also had to ask to order and then had to wait about 10 minutes after asking. It then was a long time between asking for the check and being able to pay for the meal.
- As good as everKateBDined on 1/26/2014This is the first time I've been back to Zocalo after updating their menu and it is as fantastic as ever. They also updated the decor and it's really nice. I actually went twice in one week and was happy with each visit. The menu is a fun take on traditional Mexican and Tex-Mex dishes. Don't miss out on the guacamole. It is fantastic! I also highly recommend the Baja fish tacos. Great flavor. But the best item is the tres leches cake. It is the best I've ever tasting, even beating Tierra when it was around. Still a great place for margaritas and tequila as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Mexican mixed bag18in32Dined on 1/26/2014When Zocalo is working, it works well. They have distinctive menu options and sometimes subtle flavors -- a nice break from standard Mexican fare. But this time much was left to be desired. The tables are much too crowded; the staff were continually bumping into our chairs as we ate. Furthermore, the decor is cold and hard, absolutely the wrong feel for Sunday brunch in January, when we were there most recently. It works better in summer. The menu items were also uneven. The breakfast tacos were bland and lifeless, but the poached eggs and fried sandwich were good. In sum, this meal would not have prompted me to return... which is a shame, because I like what Zocalo adds to Atlanta's Mexican options.
- Overpriced and rude management!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/31/2013Manager yelled at me when I had an issue, rather than solving called it my fault, will never visit again!
- Saturday nite in AtlantaElizabethDined on 10/26/2013Service here is to be commended. Our waitress had to deliver the sad news that there was no quacamole. Shrimp fajitas were good, as was chile relleno. The Chipotle queso was ok. Menu is somewhat limited, without many seafood choices. There is a very short wine list. One red, one white.
- Another good meal at Zocalo.MandBVIPDined on 9/29/2013Another good meal at Zocalo. Good margaritas and food to macthI would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good tacos, mole, andMandBVIPDined on 9/7/2013Very good tacos, mole, and other Mexican standards. Not sure why we waited so long to return to Zocalo but we will be back very soon. Great margaritas!I would recommend this to a friend.