17 West 19th St.
New York, NY 10011Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.zio-nyc.com/
- Phone: 2123521700x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:30pm, Monday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:30pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:30am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Massimiliano Convertini
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please Contact Roberto Manfe at 212-352-1700
A word from Zio
Zio Ristorante, offers dishes influenced by flavors of the Mediterranean as well as seasonality. Lunch includes paninis and grilled pizza specialties, from a traditional Caprese, to a Crudo topped with prosciutto, stracchino cheese and arugula. Chef Max always uses the freshest ingredients and builds his menu around the seasons. Homemade pappardelle with lamb ragu & a glass of red wine will nicely round out the meal. A selection of meat and fish entrees will remain as choices as well. The dinner menu is organized by antipasti, soups/fresh salads, pizzas, pastas, as well as a tantalizing selection of meat and fish dishes. Signature dishes to start include the Riso al Salto, a crunchy saffron risotto cake, bone marrow, and gremolata sauce, to the Polipo e Panelle, a grilled octopus, with chickpea cake and chicory. The majority of our pastas are fresh made on premise. Please visit our web site for more...Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Zio reviews from OpenTable diners
71 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (41)good for groups (35)fit for foodies (33)special occasion (27)romantic (22)vibrant bar scene (20)hot spot (14)notable wine list (12)great for lunch (12)great for brunch (10)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (6)Show More
- NYfoodieVIPDined on 8/14/2014Our first time here.. Vibrant bar scene... Friendly host(s) Beautiful interior and really good cuisine.. Also...excellent service...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pastryaddictDined on 8/10/2014Went there for the first time during restaurant week. Great service and delicious meal! A friend and I took our time catching up and we weren't rushed at all.Special Features:
- Nice setting but the food is okaymasterfunkDined on 8/8/2014Zio has a great atmosphere. The lighting was nice and romantic. The service was fantastic, they seated us right away even though our last guest was a bit late. It was restaurant week, but the restaurant wasn't too crowded, which is fine. The food was OKAY. We each had an appetizer, a main course, and dessert. It was small portions and was just okay, nothing I would want to try again. I hated the dessert! Each of us took a bite and it was hard to keep it down. It was gelatin or pudding based, tasted like some weird herb, and the texture was too weird for my taste. If I didn't have to pay $60 for my meal, I would say it wasn't too bad but it definitely was not worth the price.Special Features:
- Great MealOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/7/2014Went on a date with my wife. The Barbabeitole and Agnello were excellent. The agnello was perfectly medium rare, and seasoned just enough...Special Features:
- Great DiningrlsobeDined on 8/6/2014This is our second time dining at Zios and we were not disappointed. We all tried something different and the food was excellent. None of us are drinkers so we cannot speak to their wine list. What I do like is that you can get unlimited water with gas at no charge. The staff is knowledgeable about the food and very nice and friendly. As I said before I highly recommend it and will be going back.Special Features:
- Definitely worth revisitingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/31/2014This was one of the best restaurant week menus I've experienced. Everything was excellent! I will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticLawrence38VIPDined on 7/30/2014One of my faves.... Don't pass this one up, a true gem. Chops are great, pasta is tasty and fresh.......appetizers are wonderful. Great wine list...many affordable Chiantis. Service is top notch, what a find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for gluten free..LizaDined on 7/30/2014This was a great choice for restaurant week as one of the guests is "gluten free" which can be hard to find.. but here wasn't an issue and the food was amazing!!!! And the Ambience was great too!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We will definitely return!MaryDined on 7/25/2014I selected this restaurant simply by narrowing down Italian spots from Opentable restaurant week choices. And I am glad I found it. All 3 of us enjoyed the whole experience. The food was delicious and the service was top notch. We all ordered from the regular menu because there were too many good choices. Overall a very pleasant find, we will return!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Eve Catching up w FriendsLoriBDined on 7/24/2014My husband and I met friends we don't get to see very often and we chose Zio for many reasons. In addition to a spacious table, amazing food courses, and excellent wine selection, we also lingered for over 3 hours with no rush from staff. We were also treated to the "house fennel limoncello" after our meal which sealed the perfection. A great summer memory for the four of us- thanks Zio!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely DinnerExcellentVIPDined on 7/17/2014We recently celebrated my daughter's 21st birthday at Zio. We were a large group and were seated at a beautiful, spacious table in the main dining room. The hosts and waiters were attentive to every detail, from helping select lovely Italian wines at reasonable prices, to offering great suggestions on the menu. We enjoyed a leisurely dinner, with a selection of shared appetizers, individual main courses and shared desserts. We began with a Prosecco toast, moved onto dinner accompanied by delicious Vernaccia wine, and ended with a sparkling "Happy Birthday" dessert plate. The entrees, from fish to pastas, were excellent and the desserts incredible, especially the tiramisu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not very impressivezridharDined on 7/17/2014The food was average, the presentation quite nice, the setting quite nice, The food left nothing to be remembered.
- Zio's was fabulousrlsobeDined on 7/9/2014This restaurant was highly recommended by one of my neighbors a while ago. I wanted a new place to take out of town friends. The restaurant was everything he said it would be. The staff was friendly and helpful, the food was delicious and my friend who always orders mai tais as a cocktail said that the bartender knew what he was doing. I drank straight vodka so it's hard to mess that up. They have great great bread and breadsticks as well as the most delicious olive oil with roasted tomatoes. I could have made a meal of the bread and olive oil. We all thoroughly enjoyed our meal and would go back again.Special Features:
- Very good Italian FareAndrewVIPDined on 7/3/2014Very good Italian fare. Good for big groups. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful placeSuprinaVIPDined on 7/3/2014Enthusiastic service and an accommodating talented chef! Dinner was a sublime experience! Particularly the Salmon with Cauliflower! Oh and be sure to try the roasted ricotta! That is a must not miss!
- Perfect Birthday DinnernycdashDined on 7/2/2014Have only been here a few times for happy hour which has always been enjoyable. I decided to celebrate my birthday dinner at Zio and it was all just perfect. I came early and they seated me right away even though I was still waiting for my friends which is already a great plus for me. The ambience was perfect, the food was delicious, the noise level was just right and my friends and I were able to enjoy our dinner together. We got a lovely bottle of wine and to make my birthday feel more special, they brought the dessert with a Happy Birthday written on it and special candles. But I would like to emphasize most the wonderful service and the attentiveness of the staff and especially the manager Francesco. I highly recommend Zio!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great World Cup dinner!BillRDined on 6/16/2014I celebrated Father's Day last Monday night with my family with dinner at Zio and was surprised to find that the World Cup game between the United States and Ghana was on TV that evening. The bar area was filled with soccer fans and there were several private events in various parts of the restaurant, hence the reason for the higher than usual noise level. Despite all of the excitement, the management (Darren) could not have been more accommodating. The service was terrific and the food really outstanding. We ordered a variety of meals, but I told Darren that my lamb chops were the best I've ever had in NYC and I've had lamb chops at most if the best known New York steak houses. A job well done - we'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid Italian Exprience in FlatironGatorNeilDined on 6/15/2014This was my second time at Zio. Both times with fairly large parties (this time 7). I find the decor of the restaurant outstanding, very soothing and relaxing. The food is top notch, especially the home made pastas and the grilled pizza. Service is always top notch and very attentive. It is a bit on the pricy side however, but it is the city, so to be expected. I would recommend Zio for a nice dinner out.Special Features:
- Mother's Day and Father's DayLoriBDined on 6/15/2014We were lucky enough to celebrate both of these days here with our families with brunch. The tables are big, the food exquisite and service perfect! There was also easy on street parking on Sunday for everyone who drove from out of town. The access and space is easily laid out for my elderly grandmother with elegant bathrooms on the main dining floor. We can't wait to return!Special Features:
- A Culinary DelightKenboDined on 6/13/2014Took my wife for dinner here and wow. My wife had the Grilled Alaskan Salmon and the cauliflower & tomatoes were as delicious as the perfectly cooked fish. I had the Bruschetta special and it was without a doubt the best fish I have ever experienced - and although not usually a veggie guy - the grilled broccoli was incredible. The atmosphere was quiet and fine as we went early but the table they gave us was one of those that were too close to other tables and the service was good but not special. I highly recommend this place as a neighborhood gem as the food is well worth the trip! It is one of my favorites now thanks to their incredible chef.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is PhenomenalBigFanVIPDined on 6/7/2014Food is great (Risotto with mushrooms/another with figs and prosciuto/BREADED soft-shell crabs too breaded/outstanding lamb and osso buco rag us. Caring service. Top management GMs) that night, very uncaring. But, GO! Really super place.Special Features:
- Great meal!LindsayDined on 6/6/2014Great service, food, and overall experience for my party of 5. Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brought Clients for dinnerLaurenVIPDined on 6/5/2014We started with the baked ricotta, scallops and capresè, all amazing, especially the ricotta and scallops. We had the tuna tartare also but nothing too special about that. Then a few people wanted pasta but not as their meals so the waiter had the chef split a few orders of the gnudi up into individual portions, also very good. For entrées people ordered lamb chops (delicious), short rib ravioli, chicken dish and another pasta. Everyone was pleased and the service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vegan Request No problemroroDined on 6/3/2014They have an Organic Italian Farro mushroom Risotto on the menu, it has Mascarpone cheese in it - I asked if it could be made without cheese and Vegan... no problem and it was Outstanding! I ate the entire entrée which is unusual for me, my friends also had delicious meals as well. I will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliable All The Time!lizaDined on 5/11/2014Celebrated Mother's day here and the service was always impeccable. Food was good though the last time we were here, the salmon and lamb chops were bettter. The chilean sea bass special was terrific. Desserts were amazing. And the vibe was always great. This is my third time here and I will definitely be back!Special Features:
- A WinnerRockyVIPDined on 5/10/2014This is a first class dining experience, from the excellent pastas, to the gracious service. They give you a warm welcome which sets the tone for a most pleasant meal.Special Features:
- AwesomeEBdiningDined on 5/5/2014Every visit is better than the last. Thanks to management and staff at Zio's for a memorable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Truly delicious!AmyBVIPDined on 5/2/2014We had a wonderful dinner, great service and the ambiance is very nice as well. The waiter checked on us often and even the manager of the restaurant stopped by. We both had grilled fish, which was cooked to perfection! I would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 256 reviews are from the Zio reviews archive.
- Lovely place for a dateJulesDined on 4/26/2014I've been to this restaurant three or four times now and each time I've been impressed by the food, service, and general ambiance. Great cocktails and wine list. Excellent Italian food. I highly recommend a visit.Special Features:
- Best Italian/Mediterranean in NYC!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/25/2014From the service to the quality of the food, Zio exceeds expectations in every way. The homemade pastas are out of this world, the fish is fresh and always prepared perfectly, and make sure you save room for dessert. I can't wait to try meatball mondays!! I can't recommend Zio highly enough to friends, family and foodies alike.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- deliciosa!lynnVIPDined on 4/19/2014This restaurant was given an official approval from the Italian Consulate and I can see why! It is authentic Italian food with a good wine list and wonderful menu selections! I highly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Italian!KidteacherVIPDined on 4/18/2014We had a perfect evening at Zio! The atmosphere is lovely and the food is outstanding. I had the lamb chops and they were cooked perfectly. The dinners are a bit pricey but worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKWS13VIPDined on 4/16/2014Had a casual business lunch here and was somewhat disappointed. The restaurant was fairly empty and so there was no excuse for the lax service. Friendly, but not attentive at all. The food was ok. I had been here for dinner on another occasion and had a similar experience.
- Excellent overall experienceHJB13Dined on 4/12/2014My boyfriend and I dined on 4/12. It was not too noisy despite there being several diners in groups; we were still able to have an intimate conversation. Service was outstanding, with the waitstaff being he perfect balance of attentive and unobtrusive. We had the lamb carpaccio, short rib ravioli, lamb with sweet potato tortino, and the torts do cioccolato. Everything was delicious and perfectly done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd time not a charmPrimadonnaDined on 4/9/2014Went just a month ago and it was great. Went back this week for a birthday dinner and was disappointed. Short rib ravioli filling had the taste and texture of pate. Filet mignon was cooked perfectly but very tough. All that chewing wasn't worth it. Don't know if I'll go back.
- Excellent food, service, ambiance!SuzieDined on 4/5/2014We were a party of five, headed to Broadway for a show after dinner. The service was wonderful, the staff very helpful and friendly, and the hand made pasta was to die for. This was our second time here and we will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing new spring menuNYCGalVIPDined on 3/31/2014Zio has a new menu and it is every little bit as enticing as the previous, and more! My friends and I were very pleasantly surprised by the change! Think, for instance, of those captivating scallops with a puree combining fava beans and chickory ... Still dreaming of it! And service is always careful and attentive, present when you need it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- our nightMarkeDined on 3/29/2014Service was spotty. There was no one in the restaurant on a rainy Saturday night yet we were ignored for a long stretch of time during our experience. Food was under spiced or unbalanced in it flavorings. The wine in the lamb shank over powered the flavor of the meat though the meat was perfect at just falling off the bone. The red snapper is a lovely fish but was completely over powered by the clam broth, the fish could have been any type there was no flavor left.Special Features:
- AwesomeEBdiningDined on 3/26/2014I have been a fan of Zio's from the first time a friend took me there for dinner. I return every chance I get and have brought other friends, clients, and colleagues to dine there since. Always consistent and never a bad meal. The chef is creative and the entire management and staff are client-focused and friendly. Can't wait for my next opportunity to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All great!!JohnCDined on 3/21/2014Food , service, mgt., atmosphere and value. Can't wait to returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.