227 Second Ave, SE
Cedar Rapids, IA 52401Neighborhood:
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.zinsrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (319) 363-9467
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday Brunch: 10:00am - 2:00pm; Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Nate Jiroutek
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Zins Catering brings the Zins experience to you! Although we specialize in small plates, we adapt our skills to your specific requirements. If you desire, we are fully licensed to serve a full array of alcoholic beverages in typical Zins fashion. Allow us to provide an event as dressed-up or dressed-down as you need. We can deliver whatever amount of service you wish, from full, formal service to drop-off/pick-up or anything in between. Our professional “Hospitalitarians” are ready to plan and deliver the perfect event!
- Private Party Facilities: Zins has two distinctive private areas. Consider the Chef’s Table, with its private view into the kitchen for parties up to 14. The Ruffalo Room is perfect for groups up to 24 and is even designed to accommodate projection requirements. If you wish, we can even provide personalized menus of both food and beverage for you and your guests. We love helping make you look good!
- Private Party Contact: Mr. Chris Miller 319-363-9467
A word from Zins Restaurant
Zins design is warm, welcoming, sophisticated. Stylishly located downtown in the historic Ely Building, we bring you quality and creative food, different yet familiar, via the small-plates concept. Select from our menus: Nibble, Begin, Reminisce, Experience and Indulge. Share if you wish, but you’ll have fun with the many tastes available (or consider the “Big Plate” item). Equally important is our commitment to beverages. Our state-of-the-art wine dispensing equipment allows us to offer twenty wines-by-the-glass. Our bottled-wine list is value-laden. Our beer list is compact but clever. Our mixologists enjoy crafting your drink, creative or classic, every bit as much as our culinary staff enjoys preparing your food. Through it all winds a culture of professional hospitality. Hired for attitude as well as aptitude, the Zins team takes pleasure from your pleasure. Training to crisp service standards enables us to focus on your individual needs. Have fun with us at Zins!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Zins Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Cedar Rapids ›
Zins Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
66 reviews since August 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (50)fit for foodies (43)romantic (38)notable wine list (32)good for groups (23)neighborhood gem (22)great for brunch (13)great for lunch (12)hot spot (12)late-night find (3)scenic view (3)vibrant bar scene (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Love this place!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/23/2014I've been here a few times before, and every single time I am always pleased with my experience. The food is fantastic and the service is good!Special Features:
- Clever food alone is not enough for good dining.ICdinerDined on 11/21/2014All four in our party were quite disappointed in our first visit here. Service was agonizingly slow to the point of where we had to inform the staff that things had to move along much quicker due to a fast-approaching 7:30 performance we were going to down the street (we arrived around 5:45). The food portions were comically small, the food quality was marginal (oil dripping off calamari & pooling onto the dish), and the flavors very disappointing. We were offered a complimentary ganache as an appetizer that was absolutely aweful. The prosciutto flatbread was found by the ladies was described as "underwhelming". Previously mentioned calamari was overloaded with salt. The mac & cheese had no flavor at all. We had all been looking forward to trying Zins but unfortunately found it unsatisfactory.Special Features:
- Quality Excellent, Service lackingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014The food and ambiance at Zins is wonderful, but the service has gone downhill the last year or so. We keep coming back with hopes that the service of the first few years will be back. I'm sad to say that has happened in our last four visits.Special Features:
- Lovely dinneragentredDined on 11/8/2014We have eaten there before and have always loved it. We celebrated our one-week wedding anniversary and had a great time.Special Features:
- Great Special Occasion SpotfoodloverDined on 11/8/2014Zins is a great place to go for that special occasion in the Cedar Rapids downtown area. It is in a great location on the corner of 2nd Ave and 3rd Street S.E., and has a wonderful and relaxing upscale ambiance. The valet service is nice and prevents you from having to waste time driving around looking for a place to park. The service was wonderful, meals were served promptly, and they had a very nice wine and drink list, with fun choices on the course-by-course dinner menu.Special Features:
- A great downtown restaurantElyArtistDined on 10/30/2014Zin's is consistently a great place to eat in downtown Cedar Rapids. The food is a cut above the ordinary, and adventurous enough for "foodies." We hope Zin's is around a long time!Special Features:
- Foodluvr1OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/30/2014The service was outstanding. The food was very good but portions were small for an out-of-towner traveling for a special night out and a "destination dinner".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to go back!LinnaDined on 10/29/2014The atmosphere was intimate, the menu and food was amazing, and the cost for the evening was very reasonable for a an especially enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, food & environment!BeylorDined on 10/28/2014The food was extremely delicious, I just wish the "serving size" was bigger. I ordered the experience and it was the same size as the nibble. But it was so good!! The service was great! I highly recommend Zins!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- joneslab1288Dined on 10/25/2014Never have had a bad experience at Zins. Top notch, very well ran and always accommodating.Special Features:
- Romantic venueTheGoodLife28Dined on 10/18/2014The food and service are excellent. A wide selection of wines is available by the glass and by the bottle. Our favorite dining spot in Cedar Rapids.Special Features:
- Six of one, a half a dozen of usRoyals62Dined on 10/16/2014We were a group of six colleagues for lunch. As we called ahead for a reservation, they were nice enough to put us in their semi-private room in the back -- with a view of the kitchen through a glass window. The food was good and the service was reasonably fast, though they server brought the wrong dish to one of our party: a steak sandwich instead of the steak salad she order. (Seeing that it was the lunch hour and we had limited time, my colleague chose to just eat the sandwich rather than waiting for them to correct the error.) All-in-in all, though, it was an enjoyable dining experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was great, service was not.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014All food was fantastic - plated beautifully and tasted wonderful. Service was slow and our server didn't really seem to be paying attention most of the time. She would ask us how things were going without noticing that the next course wasn't on the table. We had to ask repeatedly for refills, milk for coffee and tea which became a little frustrating. I think they were telling customers that they were busy, but not all tables seemed to be filled. I'm guessing they were short staffed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experience!KittiesunnysideDined on 10/2/2014This restaurant is excellent! The small plate dining style is fun and different than a normal dining experience. I had the seared scallops, black pepper seared duck and the chocolate bread pudding. Everything tasted perfect and was not overly expensive. Zins is the perfect place for a romantic night out or for a group of friends to try something new.Special Features:
- Outstanding for Business DinnerTheVirginianVIPDined on 9/25/2014My colleague and I were visiting Cedar Rapids on business and Zins was recommended by the hotel we were staying at. The ambiance was perfect for a business meal, the food outstanding, the bartender more than competent, and the service impeccable. I highly recommend Zins and will be back again on my next trip to Cedar Rapids.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Fav Restaurant in CRTonyBDined on 9/24/2014This has been my favorite restaurant in Cedar Rapids ever since it opened. Best service in town, bar none. Food has always been top notch. Great wine and beer selection too.Special Features:
- Favorite date-night spotOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/21/2014I take my wife here whenever I'm looking for a special night out! The food is always spectacular, the wait staff friendly, and the atmosphere can be nice, quiet, and intimate even with the open layout. The management takes great pride in the place: he comes out to every table to make sure things are going well, takes a hand in cleanup of tables and even the sidewalks outside, and will strike up a conversation with you if you like. We recently went for brunch and it was just as good as the dinner! This place never disappoints!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Miller66rarelyimpressedDined on 9/20/2014What a great place! This is not a chain restaurant and we loved that. The portions were perfect and the variety was wonderful. It would have been nice to see a few more paired items or descriptions that are a little less intimidating to those not use to this type of menu. The waiter was not real familiar with the menu either - just offered what was "most popular". However, he was very attentive and quick with the needs of the table. Over all.......wonderful!!Special Features:
- Cedar Rapids' Best?wdmjcsDined on 9/17/2014I cannot say I have dined elsewhere in CR but I probably don't need to, now. Zin's was a wonderful find! I loved the dark,elegant ambiance which encourages quiet conversation. A small plates experience is my favorite as I can try a few different specialites. Rather than describe my dishes,which may be gone by the time you read this, I can say the portions were appropriate and presentations were very appealing. I am always impressed when a server knows to serve the ladies first, from the left and for each presentation...call me old fashioned,but there it is. A minor snafu: a dessert was noted as dry and an apology was proffered. And at $4 it was minor issue, BUT an unfinished dessert for $4 should be removed from the $200 tab.Special Features:
- DutchDined on 9/13/2014Zin's is one of our favorite restaurants. This was our third visit and we will be back. The service and ambiance is excellent. We took our daughter and husband here for their anniversary, and the manager comped our drinks and desserts. This was above and beyond what was expected, and will bring us back. The food was excellent too. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pleasant dining experienceP2LenDined on 9/13/2014Chose this restaurant based on web reviews. Ambiance and decor are really special, definitely a notch above most Iowa eateries. Our server was courteous and attentive. It was nice to order a variety of small plates. I and my companion had the mushroom bisque, bruschetta salad, scallops, calamari, burger, flank steak, Mahi mahi, grilled duck. All very good, in just right -sized portions. Steak was a little overdone on the outside but still tasty. Again, the strong point of this restaurant is the eclectic variety you can sample at one sitting. Overall very good, would return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No. 1 in Cedar RapidsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/5/2014Always make it a point to have dinner at Zins' while attending a Hawkeye game in Iowa City. Lee and his staff do an outstanding job, with fine dining by son Chris in a very pleasant atmosphere. Very creative menu with great flavor and taste. The only place for fine dining at an affordable cost. We look forward to our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch optionsKelbel313Dined on 9/5/2014I was disappointed that on the menu it states that vegetarian options are available upon request. During the lunch hour they told me that was not so and that the chef's did not have the ability to do so.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional service, perfect for GFRoundRobynDined on 9/2/2014Love Zins! Great variety, lots of gluten free choices (sans dessert). We had an excellent server, very attentive, walks you through best order for plates. Items are small, but wonderful for those who want a true experience. Really the best way to enjoy good company and a good meal! Went here with an old friend, changed our plans so we could stay longer. Not busy until around 6pm - I wouldn't bring kids here for dinner. They serve some larger plates now so I may come back with the husband, who used to complain thAt everything was sized for miniature people. Hope this place is there for a long time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sunday BrunchTonyBDined on 8/31/2014Zins is my favorite restaurant in Cedar Rapids. They have always had great food and superior service owing to their direct connection to the Kirkwood Culinary School. Sunday Brunch is outstanding and a very good value, too. I also like their special wine/beer pairing dinners where they partner with a specific brewer or vintner for the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceCRIABKIDined on 8/27/2014The big plate chicken was some of the best chicken we've ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is a favorite...CallyDined on 8/24/2014We always have great food and good service. We took friends because of the music and they loved it too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticCelebrating20Dined on 8/23/2014Food was exceptional. It was nice and quiet. Service was fantastic. If we are ever in Cedar Rapids again, we will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent restaurantYC822Dined on 8/22/2014Excellent food, excellent service, excellent environmentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal--McCormickDined on 8/22/2014We had to wait for another person to join us and she was nearly an hour late. The staff were very diligent the whole time we waited and then provided great service throughout the meal. We had great food and drinks, and an enjoyable night.Special Features:
- Excellent at usualJimODined on 8/21/2014It was a quiet evening at Zins and our group of 7 was seated in a semi-private area we had used before. We had guests from Europe and they appreciated the evening. Nina and her assistant allowed us to go at our own pace and kept an eye on us in case a need arose. This is typical of good European restaurants and we once again appreciated by all.. No rushing and a 1:1 discussion when needed to clarify or explain some detail. It made our "job" easier in that the staff took the lead and did a great job. All the plates were clean at the end of the meal - always a good sign!Special Features:
- beautifulclosecallDined on 8/19/2014This place was so perfect I almost proposed to my boyfriend there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Lunchba130Dined on 8/14/2014I took my sister to Zin's for a special occasion. The interiors are classic, waitress was exceptional, and the food was awesome. The best thing is we had 2 sandwiches, waters, and as a special treat pineapple upside down cake and it was $21.00!! What a deal for a beautiful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodMcCormickDined on 8/7/2014Really enjoyed the food through all courses. The server was most helpful.Special Features:
- Great!JeffWDined on 8/2/2014Food was really good. Service was friendly, but a little slow. Prices seemed a little high for the portion sizes. I would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Singular serviceLifetimedinerDined on 8/1/2014Everything about the Zins dining experience is first quality, but the standout criteria is: this is the ONLY restaurant in Iowa City/Cedar Rapids where the servers are trained well enough to deliver dinners WITHOUT conducting a food auction beside the table. Even if another server brings the plates, he/she will know who ordered what. See for yourself the next time you dine out. "Now who has the cheese plate? The soup?" And the food is fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food & Wine Very Good Service SlowLTICDined on 8/1/2014The food and wine were excellent. However, when we first arrived and were seated we were given the wine list and menu. Our waitperson then vanished. After ten minutes, we asked another waitperson if he could find her and she returned after a few more minutes. Service was better after that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 818 reviews are from the Zins Restaurant reviews archive.
- pre concertconcwDined on 7/30/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our experience at Zins. We found the staff welcoming and attentive. We look forward to our next visit.Special Features:
- REALLY.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/27/2014We have eaten in London, Paris, Cannes, Alaska, Chicago!!!! you get the picture, this experience was pretty unbelievable, poor waiter was running (literally) around madly, after 10 minutes got to our table, thanked us for coming, did not enquire if we would like a beverage, we chose our entrees, left hungry and not impressed with the quality or quantity served, waiter apologized at least 5 times for delays, asked if we would like a complimentary dessert we said we would, Oh Well! so much for that, he returned with two tokens for future use as they could not get these to us in the five minutes we had left in our time frame, going to the theatre. We arrived at Zins at 12-50pm and left at 2-15pm, you could not plan anything worse if you tried.
- col54umDined on 7/26/2014We tried several different items and everyone was satisfied with their choices. Food was fresh and well prepared. The chocolate bread pudding was wonderful.Special Features: