964 Chapel Street
New Haven, CT 06510Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.zincfood.com/
- Phone: 2036240507
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday 12:00pm - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday, 5:00pm -10:00pm. Closed All Day Sunday
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Global, International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Denise Appel
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Zinc holds monthly wine tastings and wine dinners.
A word from Zinc
Across from the historic New Haven Green, ZINC offers an innovative farm-to-table menu that celebrates the surrounding community. Sustainable food has been the focus of ZINC since opening its doors twelve years ago. They have since remained a fixture in the downtown landscape as a dining experience fit for the most enthusiastic of foodies. Co-Owners Donna Curran and Chef Denise Appel combine more than 20 years of experience to create a restaurant that reflects their passion for great local food and quality service. ZINC has evolved into one of the city’s most popular gathering spots for both local foodies and visiting ones.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Zinc reviews from OpenTable diners
149 reviews since May 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (105)special occasion (91)romantic (67)neighborhood gem (61)notable wine list (44)good for groups (39)hot spot (37)great for lunch (33)vibrant bar scene (19)late-night find (11)great for brunch (5)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (3)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Zinc - very goodGuestDined on 8/23/2014Friendly helpful waitstaff. Menu was a bit limiting but the food was very good. Try one of the cheese trays as they were wonderful. I'd come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful FoodShrinkDined on 8/23/2014We were back at Zinc for the second time and once again had a wonderful meal. This time we started with the cheese selection and were quite pleased. Both the hanger steak and tuna we ordered were cooked to perfection. The chef managed an interesting and tasty mix of flavorings and sides for each dish. We shared the corn pudding for dessert and were pleased once again.Our waiter was professional and attentive. I wouldn't mind if it was a bit quieter though. For the second time we had a great meal and plan to return again and again.Special Features:
- superb foodDocRadarDined on 8/21/2014Sensitive service, priced about right, one of the best lunches of the decade. For me anyway.Special Features:
- Always hits the markDCdinerDined on 8/20/2014We run to New Haven quite a bit and a trip to Zinc is generally part of that travel. The menu, wine list and service are all first rate and we enjoy having somewhere to unwind or celebrate with our student.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/15/2014had really nothing on menu I thought i wanted to eat. Thought the oily fried spinach was a disgrace. The small wraps you could not eat either. The desserts were another not for me. Ended up asking for a plain peach. A really awful experience. Never ever do i want to go back. Have worked at Yale for years and goog food in NH is hard to come by but this was the absolute worst.
- ImaginativeCrossopVIPDined on 8/12/2014Interesting small plates that can be combined to make an vibrant meal. The menu always includes at least one very creative vegetarian selection. Service is helpful and informedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- reliably deliciouswineismyfoodgroupDined on 8/11/2014over the years the food, service and atmosphere at Zinc has consistently been excellent. I think it is truly a gem for New Haven's restaurant scene and I look forward to it being in our fun city for years to come!.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/8/2014The food tries too hard, covering the natural flavors with too many sauces.
- Great Food & ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/6/2014The food, service and ambiance was terrific and the evening with old friends went as nicely as expected.Special Features:
- EatEatEatDined on 8/1/2014Went for special occasion and didn't realize my husband had been there before. He was lukewarm about it when he realized we were going there. But from the duck nachos through the peanut butter chocolate cake dessert, the food was awesome and original. A nice surprise!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enduring QualityMackDined on 8/1/2014Zinc is unbending in its high standards of food, wine and service. Yet it retains an easy, friendly manner towards its customers, both newcomers and trusted friends.It combines that rare quality of providing a relaxed environment in which to lunch or dine with five star quality food. Everything gives true air of a well managed, thoughtful restaurant without a tincture of stuffiness or self-importance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious and serenemangiacomidaDined on 7/30/2014The cocktails were to die for and our hanger steak was cooked to perfection. A must for a romantic night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MsPieVIPDined on 7/30/2014We have been enjoying Zinc since they opened and our last meal there was enjoyed by all. It is by far the most delicious food around. My one and only request is that they would improve their wine by the glass offerings.Special Features:
- Farm to Table With PizzazzTravelGirlCT06405Dined on 7/28/2014Great atmosphere, and even better food. If you like "farm to table", but also like some "pizzazz", you will love Zinc. The dishes are perfectly proportioned, and the menu is limited (in a good way), but with a lot of great choices. I had a beautiful black cod and mussel dish that had a surprisingly spicy Thai inspired sauce - just the right balance with the delicate, amazingly fresh fish. The salads were excellent as well - not over-dressed, and the addition of lightly toasted pumpkin seeds and a thinly sliced, nutty local cheese were perfect. Service, and wine selections were also top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Zinc was terrific in all respects.OpenTableDinerDined on 7/25/2014We booked Zinc once again for our anniversary and it was outstanding as usual. The food was innovative and delicious and the service was first rate. All of the staff were very attentive and accommodating, prompt and available when needed but otherwise in the background so that we could have an intimate dining experience. Zinc is clearly a place for foodies and those interested in delicious local food of very high quality.Special Features:
- Dinner with a viewNinsaysDined on 7/25/2014We were lucky to get one of three tables with a sidewalk view on a lovely summer evening in New Haven. Everything here is perfect for us---great cocktails, farm to table selections, including greens from Stone Garden Farms with whom we also enjoy weekly farm shares, vegan options and friendly but not intrusive service. A New Haven gem.Special Features:
- BrilliantPoppyVIPDined on 7/25/2014The Market Menu was so delicious we had to return the next night to, yet again, savor it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great overall experience.Paul007Dined on 7/19/2014My wife and I enjoyed a delicious dinner before a concert on the green. It was our first time eating at Zinc and we were impressed with the food, service and trendy atmosphere. I had a beautiful, tender cut of beef with some delicious sides while my wife enjoyed a pasta dish. I found the prices to be a little on the high side (definitely worth it though) but I would definitely eat at Zinc again and recommend the restaurant to anyone looking for a fine dining experience while visiting New Haven.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NCRifDined on 7/18/2014The food was inventive and fresh. The service was attentive and friendly without being intrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite restaurantPoppyVIPDined on 7/18/2014Delicious dishes, wonderfully prepared and served. The food is local, natural/organic, and from reliable sources.Special Features:
- One of New Haven's BestngpfoodDined on 7/15/2014I have a lot of lunch meetings and Zinc is one of my favorites. The food is excellent, the staff well trained and attentive, and the atmosphere is sophisticated and professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Farm fresh diningMelperlDined on 6/28/2014All dishes were amazing because the food was so fresh tasting. Best dinner in new haven.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/28/2014Everything was absolutely fantastic with the following exceptions: bread came out with small pita squares. When asked for regular sliced bread, came out with only 3 pieces and there were four at the table. Portions too small. food flavor was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding ChoiceDinerinVegasDined on 6/26/2014We had one evening to dine in New Haven and Zinc did not disappoint. Excellent decor, excellent service and fantastic food in a beautiful setting. Sure to please the discerning diner and would highly recommend. The hostess was also very attentive to our needs and greeted each guest with a smile. Many thanks to Zinc for a fantastic birthday dinner! P.S LIME N DA COCONUT +++Special Features:
- Surprisingly excellent food in CTEricDRVIPDined on 6/25/2014Having just spent several nights in NYC and dining with Bouley, Boulud and others, stopping for a night in New Haven was not something I expected to be a culinary highlight of the trip. But Zinc proved me wrong! The food was wonderfully complex and delicious. The cheese tray at the end was fabulous, too. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- elegant farm to tableOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/24/2014Zinc's fresh and often local ingredients are key to their terrific food. The menu is not very large but the choices are always interesting and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/20/2014Good was pretty good, most dishes were extremely spicy w/o warning. I was sat right across from the swinging kitchen entrance door, which made me feel like I was in a cafeteria. I made my reservation days in advance, so I would expect a better table. Servers were very sweet.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Amazing Consistency of ZincMackDined on 6/20/2014Every time you go to Zinc, ordering a variety of different dishes, you know that the restaurant will sustain its high reputation for quality in food, wine and service. My guest this time was a mildly picky eater. The fish had to be cooked to her specifications rather than the kitchen's. And they come up trumps. The waiter could not have been more sympathetic or solicitous. That courtesy and attentiveness allied to the remarkable food and a great wine list make Zinc one of the great restaurant experiences.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best in New HavenOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/17/2014I have never had a bad meal here! It is our favorite place in New Haven. Everything on the menu is tasty. Portions are right. Chef is fantastic. Highly recommendSpecial Features:
- Could eat here every nightfussygirlDined on 6/12/2014The service was great, the dishes were sophisticated without being too busy and everything was perfect. We took another couple out for a business dinner and it was better than we could have expected. We don't live in New Haven, so can't frequent Zinc as often as we'd like, but if I had my way, I'd eat here every night!Special Features:
- Classy but not suffocatingly soNanyDined on 6/12/2014I wanted to take my fiancee out to celebrate being together for a year and a half. I was looking for something on the fancier side but that wasn't too uppity either. I walked by Zinc and thought it was a good bet. We went and at first we felt a little out of place because of how nice it was but after a few minutes, we felt very comfortable because the servers were so friendly and could definitely see we were out on a special day. We ended up eating steak and a deconstructed chicken BLT. Both plates were delicious and very filling, cooked just right. My fiancee had the chocolate mousse cake for dessert which is to die for while I drank a nice and strong cappuccino. Overall, great experience, I would definitely recommend it to a friend.Special Features:
- Even better than in the pastPAC57VIPDined on 6/11/2014Everything we tried was simply outstanding (grilled shrimp and then scallops). Well presented, great ingredients, innovative recepies. On the negative side, wine by the glass is pricey (and they give you so little). Service is OK. But will certainly come back as they often rotate items on the menu and the quality of all they serve is very very high.Special Features:
- Best In New HavenantiquetravlerVIPDined on 6/11/2014Zinc never disappoints. The food is always fresh, plentiful, and inventive. The service was attentive and professional The duck nachos and cobb salad excellent and there was a special tomato chili soup that was flavorful. I always return to Zinc!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still good!savoryeaterVIPDined on 6/10/2014Nice atmosphere, friendly service, interesting menu, and most important, tasty food. A sophisticated spot in New Haven.Special Features:
- Sustained High QualityMackDined on 6/10/2014Every lunching or dining experience I have at Zinc confirms that it can sustain a consistently high level of quality in food, wine and service - a telling point for a restaurant now well into its second decade. A small point indicates this high quality in my recent lunch. My guest ordered the outstanding waygu beef hamburger. When asked politely what condiments he would like, he chose mustard and mayonnaise. He was absolutely delighted to find that his mayonnaise had been made in house. It just added that touch of class we have come to expect from ZincSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fish superbMMSRHSDined on 6/3/2014Terrific presentation, food flavor lost with so many spices, could hardly taste anything but wasabiSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very niceUrnbr6VIPDined on 6/3/2014Very good food. Great service. Very nice people. A good place to meet old friends and have a nice dinner.Special Features:
- PBSLDined on 6/2/2014Great food and outstanding service. Nice "New York style" ambience and interesting menu, with selection of small plates in addition to the main fare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Accommodatingjrm1234Dined on 5/31/2014Thanks so much to the staff for their accommodation of a family member who is hard of hearing. At our request they placed us in a booth where the noise level was reduced. It allowed us to enjoy our wonderful meal together!Special Features:
- A Special EveningmammaramaDined on 5/30/2014Enjoyed a wonderful dinner with my daughters on a recent visit to the New Haven area. We all ordered seafood menu items and the were all outstanding ~ some unusual creations featuring salmon, scallops & shrimp. Healthy portions and informative wait staff. We all agreed that we would love to come back ~ maybe try Lunch sometime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.