964 Chapel Street
New Haven, CT 06510Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.zincfood.com/
- Phone: 2036240507
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday 12:00pm - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday, 5:00pm -10:00pm. Closed All Day Sunday
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Global, International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Denise Appel
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Zinc holds monthly wine tastings and wine dinners.
A word from Zinc
Across from the historic New Haven Green, ZINC offers an innovative farm-to-table menu that celebrates the surrounding community. Sustainable food has been the focus of ZINC since opening its doors twelve years ago. They have since remained a fixture in the downtown landscape as a dining experience fit for the most enthusiastic of foodies. Co-Owners Donna Curran and Chef Denise Appel combine more than 20 years of experience to create a restaurant that reflects their passion for great local food and quality service. ZINC has evolved into one of the city’s most popular gathering spots for both local foodies and visiting ones.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Zinc reviews from OpenTable diners
138 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (96)special occasion (82)romantic (58)neighborhood gem (52)notable wine list (43)good for groups (38)great for lunch (32)hot spot (32)vibrant bar scene (18)late-night find (11)great for brunch (5)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (4)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014An absolutely fantastic dining experience. The steak was fantastic and my girlfriend loved the chicken. Our waitress was attentive and helpful. Overall, we had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic PlaceLilyDined on 9/9/2014We really enjoyed the food and the ambiance. We always recommend it to our friends and coworkersSpecial Features:
- Business DinnerLovetheGulfDined on 9/8/2014Food and service excellent however being stuck in corner adjacent to door was very cramped and uncomfortable. I had to request my associate to stand so I could exit the table. Hostess was a bit pretentious however the bartender and other wait staff were delightful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding food!diningoutDined on 9/6/2014Party of 5 came in after a Yale/Brown football game and we were seated immediately. The waiter knew his menu and was able to give us good ideas. The food was terrific and the wine list was tremendous. Will be back again after another game.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great for romantic date nightkbarranteDined on 9/4/2014My husband and I celebrated our 3rd anniversary here recently. The food was fantastic and we brought a special bottle of wine with us. Our waiter was very attentive and friendly. The cocktail menu is inventive and we love this spot. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delishCoolLadyDined on 9/4/2014I had salmon and the chef substituted Asian black rice for rice beans and the result was delicious. He should add it to the menu. Very nice wine list also. I'd come again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sophisticated and eclectic fareGrazer1Dined on 8/30/2014Love the eclectic menu and the use of ingredients from local farms. Lots of great Asian flavors. Even better than last time. Great selection of apps and artisanal cheeses, too. They gave our party of four a huge table in front of the plate glass window on Chapel street--our own private dining space.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always a treatcheshireVIPDined on 8/30/2014When Denise is cooking, you can never go wrong. We love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently excellent!8itallDined on 8/30/2014Zinc never disappoints! The food is packed with flavor. The staff is very knowledgable and accommodating. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone who truly appreciates excellent food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just as good as the first time!MoeCODined on 8/30/2014I have had dinner at Zinc twice in the month of August and the second time was just as good as the first time. Appetizers are very tasty as are the entrees. And desserts are very good. It's nice to go back to a restaurant and have the same experience as the first time. And it's nice to find a restaurant that serves very good food. I have he the scallops entree and the salmon entree and both were very good. We had a cheese plate for one of our appetizer ... Very good. And he peanut butter dessert was great! Looking forward to returning again to this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ms. Food SnobNumber1FoodSnobDined on 8/29/2014This is a Wonderful Place for a Sophisticated Palate! A wonderful fusion of dishes: where East meets West. Spices from around the world, are used; and preparations, not found anywhere else in the New Haven Area! The Tuna with the Fried Spinach and Spring Rolls were relish. Wonderful bar, too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic and consistentPennyMDDined on 8/29/2014Zinc has been an outstanding restaurant for its 15 years in New Haven. The food is terrific. The old standbys never waver and the chef always adds new, interesting dishes to the menu. The feeling is modern but warm and the owner is a wonderful presence. We don't know what New Haven would be like without Zinc! It is a must for anyone who is serious about food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overly spicy hotLuv2dineDined on 8/28/2014Very friendly service but everything we ate was seasoned with hot surachi sauce that drowned out the true flavor of the food. The menu needs work and the chef needs a few lessons in finess. It is very loud even in the rear end of the restaruant....not sure that can be fixed. Not going back anytime soon.Special Features:
- Zinc - very goodGuestDined on 8/23/2014Friendly helpful waitstaff. Menu was a bit limiting but the food was very good. Try one of the cheese trays as they were wonderful. I'd come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful FoodShrinkDined on 8/23/2014We were back at Zinc for the second time and once again had a wonderful meal. This time we started with the cheese selection and were quite pleased. Both the hanger steak and tuna we ordered were cooked to perfection. The chef managed an interesting and tasty mix of flavorings and sides for each dish. We shared the corn pudding for dessert and were pleased once again.Our waiter was professional and attentive. I wouldn't mind if it was a bit quieter though. For the second time we had a great meal and plan to return again and again.Special Features:
- superb foodDocRadarDined on 8/21/2014Sensitive service, priced about right, one of the best lunches of the decade. For me anyway.Special Features:
- Always hits the markDCdinerDined on 8/20/2014We run to New Haven quite a bit and a trip to Zinc is generally part of that travel. The menu, wine list and service are all first rate and we enjoy having somewhere to unwind or celebrate with our student.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/15/2014had really nothing on menu I thought i wanted to eat. Thought the oily fried spinach was a disgrace. The small wraps you could not eat either. The desserts were another not for me. Ended up asking for a plain peach. A really awful experience. Never ever do i want to go back. Have worked at Yale for years and goog food in NH is hard to come by but this was the absolute worst.
- ImaginativeCrossopVIPDined on 8/12/2014Interesting small plates that can be combined to make an vibrant meal. The menu always includes at least one very creative vegetarian selection. Service is helpful and informedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- reliably deliciouswineismyfoodgroupDined on 8/11/2014over the years the food, service and atmosphere at Zinc has consistently been excellent. I think it is truly a gem for New Haven's restaurant scene and I look forward to it being in our fun city for years to come!.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/8/2014The food tries too hard, covering the natural flavors with too many sauces.
- Great Food & ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/6/2014The food, service and ambiance was terrific and the evening with old friends went as nicely as expected.Special Features:
- EatEatEatDined on 8/1/2014Went for special occasion and didn't realize my husband had been there before. He was lukewarm about it when he realized we were going there. But from the duck nachos through the peanut butter chocolate cake dessert, the food was awesome and original. A nice surprise!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enduring QualityMackDined on 8/1/2014Zinc is unbending in its high standards of food, wine and service. Yet it retains an easy, friendly manner towards its customers, both newcomers and trusted friends.It combines that rare quality of providing a relaxed environment in which to lunch or dine with five star quality food. Everything gives true air of a well managed, thoughtful restaurant without a tincture of stuffiness or self-importance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious and serenemangiacomidaDined on 7/30/2014The cocktails were to die for and our hanger steak was cooked to perfection. A must for a romantic night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MsPieVIPDined on 7/30/2014We have been enjoying Zinc since they opened and our last meal there was enjoyed by all. It is by far the most delicious food around. My one and only request is that they would improve their wine by the glass offerings.Special Features:
- Farm to Table With PizzazzTravelGirlCT06405Dined on 7/28/2014Great atmosphere, and even better food. If you like "farm to table", but also like some "pizzazz", you will love Zinc. The dishes are perfectly proportioned, and the menu is limited (in a good way), but with a lot of great choices. I had a beautiful black cod and mussel dish that had a surprisingly spicy Thai inspired sauce - just the right balance with the delicate, amazingly fresh fish. The salads were excellent as well - not over-dressed, and the addition of lightly toasted pumpkin seeds and a thinly sliced, nutty local cheese were perfect. Service, and wine selections were also top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Zinc was terrific in all respects.OpenTableDinerDined on 7/25/2014We booked Zinc once again for our anniversary and it was outstanding as usual. The food was innovative and delicious and the service was first rate. All of the staff were very attentive and accommodating, prompt and available when needed but otherwise in the background so that we could have an intimate dining experience. Zinc is clearly a place for foodies and those interested in delicious local food of very high quality.Special Features:
- Dinner with a viewNinsaysDined on 7/25/2014We were lucky to get one of three tables with a sidewalk view on a lovely summer evening in New Haven. Everything here is perfect for us---great cocktails, farm to table selections, including greens from Stone Garden Farms with whom we also enjoy weekly farm shares, vegan options and friendly but not intrusive service. A New Haven gem.Special Features:
- BrilliantPoppyVIPDined on 7/25/2014The Market Menu was so delicious we had to return the next night to, yet again, savor it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great overall experience.Paul007Dined on 7/19/2014My wife and I enjoyed a delicious dinner before a concert on the green. It was our first time eating at Zinc and we were impressed with the food, service and trendy atmosphere. I had a beautiful, tender cut of beef with some delicious sides while my wife enjoyed a pasta dish. I found the prices to be a little on the high side (definitely worth it though) but I would definitely eat at Zinc again and recommend the restaurant to anyone looking for a fine dining experience while visiting New Haven.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NCRifDined on 7/18/2014The food was inventive and fresh. The service was attentive and friendly without being intrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite restaurantPoppyVIPDined on 7/18/2014Delicious dishes, wonderfully prepared and served. The food is local, natural/organic, and from reliable sources.Special Features:
- One of New Haven's BestngpfoodDined on 7/15/2014I have a lot of lunch meetings and Zinc is one of my favorites. The food is excellent, the staff well trained and attentive, and the atmosphere is sophisticated and professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Farm fresh diningMelperlDined on 6/28/2014All dishes were amazing because the food was so fresh tasting. Best dinner in new haven.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/28/2014Everything was absolutely fantastic with the following exceptions: bread came out with small pita squares. When asked for regular sliced bread, came out with only 3 pieces and there were four at the table. Portions too small. food flavor was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding ChoiceDinerinVegasDined on 6/26/2014We had one evening to dine in New Haven and Zinc did not disappoint. Excellent decor, excellent service and fantastic food in a beautiful setting. Sure to please the discerning diner and would highly recommend. The hostess was also very attentive to our needs and greeted each guest with a smile. Many thanks to Zinc for a fantastic birthday dinner! P.S LIME N DA COCONUT +++Special Features:
- Surprisingly excellent food in CTEricDRVIPDined on 6/25/2014Having just spent several nights in NYC and dining with Bouley, Boulud and others, stopping for a night in New Haven was not something I expected to be a culinary highlight of the trip. But Zinc proved me wrong! The food was wonderfully complex and delicious. The cheese tray at the end was fabulous, too. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- elegant farm to tableOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/24/2014Zinc's fresh and often local ingredients are key to their terrific food. The menu is not very large but the choices are always interesting and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/20/2014Good was pretty good, most dishes were extremely spicy w/o warning. I was sat right across from the swinging kitchen entrance door, which made me feel like I was in a cafeteria. I made my reservation days in advance, so I would expect a better table. Servers were very sweet.I would recommend this to a friend.