Zinc - Charlottesville
420 W Main St
Charlottesville, VA 22903Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Zinc - Charlottesville
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.comptoirzinc.com/
- Phone: 4342459462
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Justin Hershey
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Now offering $28 prix fixe menu on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
A word from Zinc - Charlottesville
Seasonally Inspired, Locally Acquired. Set in a whimsical atmosphere of a converted auto service station at the heart of Midtown, Chef Justin Hershey works closely with local farmers in creating his seasonally inspired progressive American menu. Zinc's local-centric sensibility is also reflected in the wine and cocktail offerings. Enjoy warm weather aperitifs and dining on the spacious patio.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Zinc - Charlottesville reviews from OpenTable diners
- Zinc is tarnishedurbanhartoDined on 6/21/2013We ate several times at Zinc a few years ago before they changed their menu and food philosophy. We enjoyed the small plates and the French flavor. This time the food was not as satisfying, the prices were much higher, and the service was abysmal. We were disappointed.
- Somewhat interesting, pleasantOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/9/2013Somehow this place falls short. In this price range (expensive) falling short is not a good idea. The menu could use greater variation. THe interesting items are the 'house made' charcuterie and other items. THe rest is simply so-so. Cocktails are overblown and not worth it. Lower the noise level of the piped music and your expectations.
- Not great.Lauriew76Dined on 5/25/2013Waitress was lifeless. Carrot soup was not soup at all but a puree, which was the consistency of baby food. Too much attention to presentation, not to flavor. My scallops were grossly over salted, and the sides just didn't compliment well. Would not go again.
- Second ComingOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/25/2013Zinc has had several rebirth and this last one is quite good. The food had flavor and the portions were appropriate. Service was prompt. We would return.Special Features:
- ReviewanonymousDined on 5/18/2013The food was good. The scallops were cooked just right and the steak was tender. However, the appetizers were extremely small portioned, and there are not a lot options for entrees. The service was horrendously terrible. The waiter blatantly ignored us and she was very cold. Because it was graduation weekend, they included a 20% service charge without letting the customers know beforehand. I would have chosen somewhere else to eat for this occassion.Special Features:
- Great findOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/11/2013What a cool place. I would definitely go there again.Special Features:
- Delightful FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/10/2013My guest and I enjoyed a silken smooth carrot soup as a starter and enjoyed our perfectly prepared steak and chicken entrees. The service was attentive at this bistro housed in a former gas station. A nice Charlottesville surprise!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Inattentive, sloppy serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/27/2013We came for a group gathering of 8 friends. Arrived at 8:15. Ordered appetizers by 8:30 -- they didn't show up for 1 hr! A server accidentally poured a glass of water on a friend -- we had to ask to have something comped as an apology for our friend getting drenched. This was something your staff should have offered immediately.We asked very specific questions about the menu (there are only 5 entrees!) and the server was misinformed, which meant that after having an appetizer with kale, many of us had the exact same kale again with our dinners (which we were hoping to avoid to get more variety). The service aside, the pork belly appetizer was fab and so were the scallops. If they had decent service, I might consider going aga
- Great DateOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/20/2013Great atmosphere - the renovated gas station feel gave it a casual feel even though the food was top cuisine. We had cocktails, but their wine menu was tempting, and I love when local restaurants use VA wines. I had the scallops, which came with quinoa, greens, blood orange, and a fennel puree. The fennel puree was a little strong, but I loved the sharp blood orange contrast. My husband had the steak - he thought it was odd our server didn't ask how he wanted it cooked until they brought it out perfectly rare with a savory char on the outside. Nailed it. We split the profiteroles/ice-cream dessert which was a refreshing end to a comfortable, relaxed evening out. Service was polite but not overly involved, which was ideal for a date night.Special Features:
- Zinc always provides excellentLovesGoodFoodDined on 4/14/2013Zinc always provides excellent food from local sources. Food is always fresh and the combinations of flavors is surprising but so complementary. I particularly love the soups--had carrot soup this week that was delicious. My mussels were delicious as always and my husband's chicken was perfectly prepared.Special Features:
- The ambiance is an old autolellebelleDined on 3/27/2013The ambiance is an old auto garage shop and the doors are open in nice weather! We had a very pleasant server who did a great job. We started with a cheese plate which had generous portions and came with grapes, apple slices and honeyed walnuts. It was creative and we loved the cheeses and walnuts but I wish that the fruit had been a little fresher. The grapes and apple could have been crisper. We also had the mussels, awesome! Definitely get them. The apple and onion soup had excellent flavor and texture but was far to creamy for my palate. One of us got the salmon with squash and lentils and this was a disappointment. The fish had the texture of being boiled/sous vide but overcooked. The veggie entree was delicious. We would go back.Special Features:
- Best served cold--NOTOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/23/2013This was my second visit to Zinc. The food is very good. However, there always seems to be a disconnect between the service and the kitchen. For the second time, several main dishes arrived cold. I am hoping that they can resolve this issue and I would gladly return.Special Features:
- A find dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/23/2013This was a special occasion; we were celebrating my wife's birthday and the food was exceptional. I had a salmon dish. The fish was was absolutely delicious and was accompanied by lentils, swiss chard and butternut squash, all cooked to perfection and beautifully presented. My wife ordered duck and was very pleased with her choice. Service was great, very efficient but without any hovering servers. The restaurant is unusual in that it is housed in what appears to be a former auto repair facility. There are several garage doors giving the dining room a somewhat industrial look. The tables are spaced so it does not feel crowded but a bit more sound absorbing material would help. We will definitely be returning in the near future.Special Features:
- Food and vibe terrific.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/23/2013Food and vibe terrific. Everyone was very satisfied with their meal and loved the decor. Would have just liked a few more options on the menu.Special Features:
- Food was excellently preparedBettyDined on 3/23/2013Food was excellently prepared and presented, I ordered scallops and that is just what I got, scallops, no real sides. Wonderful food, just not enough of it especially for the priceSpecial Features:
- Zinc turning goldWillG123Dined on 3/18/2013I had the good fortune to return to Zinc after a previous great visit. The food was even better than last time. My duck was some of the best I have had, and certainly THE best I've had in Charlottesville. The beat salad is highly recommended, and the carrot cake was outstanding! Once again, a Monday night was very quiet. Great for conversation, but I hope more folks discover this early week gem.Special Features:
- This was our first visit toOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/9/2013This was our first visit to Zinc. Everything was terrific - from the menu, the service, the food presentation, and the food. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Zinc? More like silver!WillG123Dined on 3/4/2013I hadn't been to Zinc in years, but was honored to attend a dinner for a special guest of the University. My how it's changed! It used to be good, but now it's great. All the food was expertly prepared, and while the wine list was short, the selections were expertly chosen (including some great local wines). On a Monday night it was quiet enough for some real conversation. I can't wait to dine here again. The only down-side was the chocolate ganache dessert, which arrived nearly frozen. The other desserts looked much more promising. I'm giving it props for its view. Zinc used to be a service station, and the glass (or open) work bay doors give a nice view of Main St and the downtown action.Special Features:
- Although we're regulars, thisEthanDined on 2/25/2013Although we're regulars, this most recent party of 9 dinner was remarkable. The menu was small, only about 5 entrée choices, but enough for everyone to find something delicious. Drink service was also excellent and the wait staff was professional and I can find no complaints. This was a Monday night dinner, so the menu is often larger. Easily, Zinc is in our top 3 celebration dinner locations and 1 of the others doesn't take reservations.Special Features:
- Somewhat disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 2/23/2013We dined here with another couple a couple months back and were disappointed. Service was slow and the restaurant wasn't busy for an 8:30 pm seating. Menu selections were ok, nothing spectacular. All in all service, menu, beverage selections we lacking.
- The food was very good, butMilan1Dined on 2/16/2013The food was very good, but paying $27.00 for 4 scallops is ridiculous. When asked if the salad was large enough for two, we opted to split it. Don't. I'm sorry, we won't be returning.Special Features:
- Appetizers were outstanding,DinerDined on 2/9/2013Appetizers were outstanding, dinner was quite good, dessert indifferent. Very nice ambiance, rather slow service. Still, a nice evening at a cozy restaurant and I would certainly consider returning.Special Features:
- my duck was so undercookedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/8/2013my duck was so undercooked i could not chew it so it needed to be reheated and in doing so the presenation suffered and the vegtables became soggy. Others enjoyed their meals thoroughly.Special Features:
- Excellent pork loin dish withOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/11/2013Excellent pork loin dish with brussel sprouts, winter squash, sweet potatoes and perfectly executed spaetzel! - the perfect dish for a wintry night! I will definitely be returning to see what they do in the spring.Special Features:
- Seriously Haute Cuisine in a GarageTwalabantuVIPDined on 1/4/2013Everything was terrific, from the Brandy-Cointreau cocktail and fennel-beet salad to the short ribs and grits, all was prepared with great care. Profiteroles were a wonderful conclusion to a great meal. Could have used a cappucnino, and the cool temperature caused some food to cool too quickly, but that doesn't keep it from being an outstanding restaurant, especially in its kinky garage setting.Special Features:
- New food in the house of old carslisaDined on 12/31/2012Fun atmosphere in former, and rather old, auto garage. We're vegetarian and the selection was not a broad for us as we thought at first - but the food was good and everyone seemed like they were enjoying it. Would consider going back - we don't travel to Charlottesville often.Special Features:
- Thoughtful menu, creativeOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 11/17/2012Thoughtful menu, creative cocktails, well prepared food.Special Features:
- Cool, rusic ambiance complementedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/10/2012Cool, rusic ambiance complemented by excellent food.Special Features:
- Great food and ambience, andOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/9/2012Great food and ambience, and our waiter was wonderful.Special Features:
- Great food. Long wait to get it :0(OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/2/2012The food was excellent. The services was ok, our waitress left her personality at home. Are reservations were for 730. We were sat right away and the hostess was very nice. We selected wine which was a very good list. The menu was only about 5 main courses which we knew that already from the website. The main courses took abt n hour to come. The cheese board appetizer that we ordered came promptly but no one told us what cheese was which, that left us to guessing, which was a fun game while we waited forever for the main course. Once it did arrive the food was excellent. The hard part for to understand is that with only 5 main course and no substituting and no meat temperature preference, what took so long. It's a mystery!Special Features:
- Amazing scallop dinner, wouldOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/27/2012Amazing scallop dinner, would highly recommend. We also had the goat cheese brushcetta which was great.
- Parents Weekend at UVa, lookedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/27/2012Parents Weekend at UVa, looked for nice place for family dinner. College kid, High school kid, both parents, all Foodies. Feature martini - tasty. Noteworthy appetizers were mussels and tuna tartare. Would've liked a couple crostini, on the side, with the mussels... Entrees: Scallops, Flatiron steak and beef tenderloin (presented same as Flatiron). Tenderloin should be menu standard, instead of flatiron cut. Tenderness made a big difference. Desserts: Mousse, profiteroles, creme brulee. All very good, profiteroles were best. ONe thing, a restaurant at that price point should have cloth napkins...but that's a nit. Take a break from The Mall, head over to Main Street and try Zinc.Special Features:
- We had an 8:15 PM reservation,jeanDined on 10/26/2012We had an 8:15 PM reservation, were seated promptly, and ordered appetizers and entrees by around 8:30. Appetizers came promptly; entrees came at 9:45 PM. Never had to wait this long for food to arrive; the wait staff did not check in with us, acknowledge that we had been waiting a long time or offer any reason for such a long wait. My food was disappointing as well. The pork loin was overcooked and dried out. Apparently the grouper and duck were ok. Desserts were ok. I checked the menu online before we made the reservation and the menu featured online was not the actual menu in the restaurant; i felt duped. Will never go to this restaurant again.
- I looked up the menu onlineOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/26/2012I looked up the menu online beforehand and picked out what I wanted to eat, only to find that the menu online was seasonal and was from a couple years ago, so the menu items I'd come for were not available. I settled on the duck, which had an excellent flavor but almost nothing on the side--it was just a plate of the same flavor. The rest of the people in my party were very impressed by their meals and the varieties of flavor. The atmosphere was low-key elegance and the meats were excellently prepared; I'd definitely go again to try something different.Special Features:
- Food was amazing. We drovebazboussaVIPDined on 10/21/2012Food was amazing. We drove specially from DC . Everything is fresh , and come from local farmers Cuisine is inventive bit down to earth. We will definately go back DzSpecial Features:
- Our Server was prompt, courteoustimberVIPDined on 10/20/2012Our Server was prompt, courteous and had a solid knowledge of both the food and wine offerings. We were extremely pleased with our food (pork loin and chickpea panisse) as well as a lovely Lebanese wine per our servers recommendation. We can't wait to go again on our next trip to CharlottesvilleSpecial Features:
- We enjoyed our dinner at Zinc.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/19/2012We enjoyed our dinner at Zinc. The food and service were great. The high ceilings make for a very tolerable noice level unlike so many restaurants we visit these days. The location in an old automobile service station is fun!
- Great experience, wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/12/2012Great experience, wonderful use of seasonal ingredients in a creative way, inventive and delicious special cocktails, nice wine list, very cool buildingSpecial Features:
- The menu is inventive. OurOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/5/2012The menu is inventive. Our entrees were excellent but arrived cold. Wine list is deplorable. Service is very slow, even when the restaurant is not very busy.Special Features:
- The very best vegetables!FabulousVIPDined on 10/3/2012The very best vegetables! Service is great.. No rush. Simple, clean and professional. I love it!Special Features: