Zinc Bistro & Wine Bar
207 North Presa Street
San Antonio, TX 78205Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Zinc Bistro & Wine Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.zincwine.com/
- Phone: 2102242900
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, French American, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Manny Elizondo
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cigar Room, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Zinc offers private dining in our wine cellar. A staircase from the street-level semi-private reception room leads to the wine cellar. Wine crates and barrels, wine tasting tables, ceiling-to-floor wine racks housing over 7,000 bottles of wine, and a beamed-ceiling with grapevine and twinkle lighting accent this room. From VIP board of director's dinners to rehearsal dinners to vintner-style dinners, this one-of-a-kind venue is the perfect setting for a memorable dining experience.
- Private Party Contact: Chris Boone 210-224-1313
A word from Zinc Bistro & Wine Bar
Our chefs have painstakingly created a menu of wine-friendly fare consisting of old world hors d'oeuvres and regionally inspired tapas. From baked Texas goat cheese with kalamata olives to fresh chocolate covered strawberries, the menu caters to the diversity of the food enthusiasts. Charles Court, at the rear of Zinc, is a truly serene gathering place for a rare outdoor experience. The private, spacious courtyard makes for a quiet sanctuary from the clatter of downtown city streets and the Riverwalk.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Zinc Bistro & Wine Bar - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Zinc Bistro & Wine Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
52 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (24)great for outdoor dining (20)notable wine list (19)special occasion (17)neighborhood gem (16)romantic (14)great for lunch (11)good for groups (11)vibrant bar scene (9)late-night find (5)hot spot (4)great for brunch (3)scenic view (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/12/2014After hearing great things, especially being a sister restaurant to Boudros, we expected more. The guacamole was overly acidic, with too much lemon and lime, the chips were very generic and one of the featured beverages "was not frozen" and not available. The shrimp po'boy was not served hot. The shrimp were greasy and not crisp. $1.50 was ridiculous for a basket of basically crackers. Although our server was amazing, the food did not live up to the hype. We should have gone to Boudros.
- Pay attention to your seated guestsOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/10/2014I would have loved to have rated this higher but............ We were seated immediately but after 10 minutes with no contact from anyone - no waiter, no busperson, not even a glance to acknowledge us, I had to get up and go back out to the bar to track down the hostess. Apparently a large party had arrived in the bar area and all attention was taken from the seated clients. Our waiter did finally come over to our table and apologized but it was clear that he had too many tables to handle. I can't fault the waiter as he was trying. Drinks and food (once our order was finally taken -almost 30 minutes after being seated) were very good. When we are back in the city, we may give it a 2nd chance.Special Features:
- First-timers / good experienceWhoIsTheRockmanDined on 10/10/2014Friendly staff, good food, quick service, but loud inside due to the acoustics (all hard surfaces). Nice selection of cocktails, but stay away from the coffee drinks post-dinner (not worth it, as we had very unremarkable Irish Coffees). The table-side guacamole is a good starter, though our server did go overboard with the lime, and not enough heat for my liking. All in all, a recommended restaurant that's away from the usual Riverwalk tourist traps. Solid 4 stars.Special Features:
- 2nd time was not as goodMskaiDined on 10/8/2014What a difference a day makes! My first visit was so enjoyable... the service was great and all that I decided to come again the next day. What a disappointment! From the service to the food! Even my Cosmo was different. HmmmmmSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food & good serviceEnjoyDined on 10/4/2014Birthday dinner out of town and was looking for a nice, affordable place to dine. Zincs was close to the hotel, had a great wine list and a lamb dish that was excellent. Guacamole appetizer made at the table was wonderful. Macaroni and cheese dish was smooth and delicious. Service, while enjoyable and professional, was slow. Waiters supported each other, but even with that, food was coming out slow. I recommend Zinc, but be prepared to have a leisurely meal.Special Features:
- Overall, a good place.rhodesDined on 10/4/2014Food was good. Service was a bit frazzled and missing. Loved sitting outside on a beautiful day. Prices are moderate to expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/3/2014delicious food, great service, love the courtyard! Highly recommend!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful surprise!mightymouseDined on 10/1/2014I can't think of anything even remotely suboptimal about this place. We went there for lunch on a Friday, and the food, ambiance and service were all excellent. The portions on the lunch specials were just right for us, but I imagine they might be a little meager for bigger eaters. The 3/4 lb burger with bacon and cheese should be enough for any football player, though. We will absolutely go back next time we're in San Antonio, which is saying a lot since there are so many other wonderful restaurants to explore there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Zinc BixtroKathyVIPDined on 9/19/2014Sat outside in a beautiful space. Food was delicious and the waitress was wonderful and helpful.Special Features:
- ZincKeeKeepmrDined on 9/14/2014Had a wonderful evening on the patio. Great bottle of wine, Zinc salads, Sausage pizza and bread pudding and Pumpkin creme brûlée that was the best! Always enjoy eating here out on the patio and we got to see the wine cellar this time! That was very cool! Great service and food, so we will be back next time in San Antonio! Waitstaff are always friendly!Special Features:
- Fabulous Food!BeckyDined on 9/6/2014The food is out of this world. However, we got stuck in a totally different building where it was obviously "date night" and a little uncomfortable.Special Features:
- Cozy with Good FoodbigbadbedDined on 9/6/2014Not a "monster" restaurant, with a pleasing atmosphere & ambiance. Prices were surprising reasonable & the food was very good. Loved the crab cakes...& the great Prickly Pear Margarita. Most definitely will be going back.Special Features:
- Never disappoints, kind ofEmiratesHornDined on 8/25/2014I love Zinc and go often. Wine list is impressive, and they carry my brand of scotch. The food is generally outstanding. The table-side guacamole is fantastic, and the grilled shrimp is as well. Others in my party have been very impressed with the crab cakes. However, on my last visit, I tried the fish and chips, and it was well below par.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014The Mac and cheese was out of this world! The prickly pear was pretty good too - as the signature drink!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for solo diningBMMBMMVIPDined on 8/14/2014Enjoyed my solo visit to Zinc while attending a function downtown. Excellent food at very reasonable prices combined with very friendly staff. Good location, too.Special Features:
- Great wine list; reasonable pricesKathleenDined on 8/10/2014Great wine list with a range of prices and options. Our waiter was pleasant, but not terribly knowledgable about the wine list. My husband had the lamb and I had the short rib sandwich. Both good choices at surprisingly reasonable prices for the quality of the food, but we both loved the rib sandwich best. It was truly "melt in your mouth"! We ate outside, but inside options include a bar area with tables and a separate quiet dining room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- variety & flavorenjoyamealVIPDined on 8/9/2014From steak frites to grilled shrimp, pizza or a lamb burger, zinc serves up well. We grazed on the truffle fries (wow) while watching our server prepare our table side guacamole. I had a pasta with mushrooms and chicken in pesto sauce as my entree - delicious! I love Zinc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and lovelyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/2/2014I love this place, great wine, although the waiter we had this time didnt seem to knowledgeable and at one point brought us the wrong glass. Margherita pizza is phenomenal as is the cheese plate. Nice European style dining, outdoors and slow and simple. Food is well priced but wines can be pricey!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stellar Food & ServiceSueDDined on 7/31/2014Zinc is one of my downtown favs, whether just for after work drinks or pre-show dinner. Last Thursday (7-31) I took a friend how had never been to Zinc before and she fell in love with it. We had an early dinner, following which we were attending the inaugural YOSA event at the Tobin Center. What a fine start for the evening. The food is outstanding, the service impeccable, they do not mind people sharing plates (some restaurants still look slightly askance at a request). My friend was so impressed, she is going to recommend Zinc to other friends.Special Features:
- Customer service and foodHockeyDined on 7/23/2014Our waiter was attentive and charming, everyone was exceptionally friendly. The food was a great surprise. Fresh with fresh flavor, spicy sauces, fresh cheese. Reasonably priced too. I highly recommend the chicken Caesar salad. Blackened chicken was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with Friends, what a treat!WelovefoodVIPDined on 7/22/2014Wow, what a great place off the River Walk. The tableside guacamole was awesome! Everyone enjoyed their entre' and the service was very good. Combined with a reasonably priced wine list, what's not to like. Would definitely dine here again when visiting San Antonio.Special Features:
- Good place downtownrtpivVIPDined on 7/9/2014Zinc is a couple blocks off the RiverWalk and seemed to be frequented by local people at lunch. It was a nice alternative to the touristy places in the area. The menu offered a good selection and the food was well prepared.I would recommend this to a friend.
- rofoDined on 7/5/2014Waiting could be better. Waiting was good, but the restaurant atmosphere dictates it should of been better. Food was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/4/2014We were surprised at how affordable it was considering how much and how good the food was we were served. Wasn't busy, but we were dining while the July 4th fireworks were going off. Would recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/3/2014I went to Zinc the first time about 2 years ago. I came because of a write up in the local paper that claimed Zinc was one of the top 10 destinations in the city of San Antonio for the best burger. I went and they where right. I have come back frequently for the burger. I expanded to eating dinner on various occasions, using it as a downtown location to enjoy a unique meal and drinks with friends for an evening out. My last two visits have been disappointing. The quality of the food has slipped as has the service. It is still a great place to eat (lunch or supper), but if my 3rd visit also represents a decline from my expectations I will be crossing Zinc of my list.Special Features:
- NiceLunchMarkandMaryJoDined on 6/25/2014Good wine list. Very good food. Don't miss the Texas Chopped salad - wow! The lamb burger with fig jam and brie was amazing.Special Features:
- The following 294 reviews are from the Zinc Bistro & Wine Bar reviews archive.
- sweet16Dined on 5/18/2014We had dinner on the sheltered patio which was perfect since it was a windy day in San Antonio. Out of the 4 of us, 3 had the Zinc burger and said it was one of the best they have had...especially their spicy "secret" sauce. I had the blue crab cakes and can truly say they were the best I had ever had. I would definitely dine there again and recommend this restaurant to anyone traveling to San Antonio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent burgersSAFoodieVIPDined on 4/30/2014We came to Zinc because of Tanji Patton'a write up on the burgers. Both the beef and lamb burgers were excellent! The bun on the beef burger was a little thick - but overall - the beef burger was tasty!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 4/26/2014Dissapointing - they call themselves a wine bar, yet the white wine we ordered was to chilled so they attempted to do a quick chill and wine got too warm very quickly. Then we ordered the Pinot and it too was way to warm. A wine bar should have a temperature controlled area for their wines. Food was basic.
- Lovely restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/22/2014I love Zinc! Every time I go I am never disappointed. Such a great atmosphere and great food.Special Features:
- This is a wine bar?AnnieBVIPDined on 4/12/2014When you dine at a wine bar a minimum expectation is that the staff be able to recommend a wine to go with a particular dish. At Zinc this didn't happen. Our server had no clue what to recommend. The appetizer we ordered was okay but nothing special. We left after the appetizer and went to another place for entrees.
- Nice find in San Antonio!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/10/2014We took a chance on Zinc Bistro & Wine Bar and had a great experience. Near River Walk in downtown San Antonio the food was better than expected, the waiter was great and the wine list was solid! We had an overall great dinner with great drinks at a fair price. Very nice find in San Antonio!! I recommend as a solid choice!! 4 overall stars!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great GuacamoleGoodEatsVIPDined on 3/30/2014Great Food, Great Wines, Great Service, Very reasonable ! The tableside made guacamole is a must try ! Ask about the specials, they change daily.Special Features:
- Great food - aloof staffWill3Dined on 3/24/2014I would recommend Zinc Bistro for the food - worth a try. Maybe we hit it on a bad night. Waitress was friendly, but brought out the wrong dish to me, having obviously put the order in wrong. She simply said, "Ooops" and disappeared with it, leaving my partner to have to eat her food alone while I waited to see if the waitress was coming back with anything for me or not. She returned with what I ordered, as if nothing happened - never acknowledged it, said she made a mistake, or apologized. (Who trains these people?) Despite the wait, the TEXAS LAMB PAPPARDELLE was outstanding.Special Features:
- Great spot, will returnGWHoDined on 3/24/2014This is a fantastic venue with a great menu and wonderful ambiance. I gave our service a three star rating as it took some time for any of our requests to be filled. I think this was unusual. The server could have been new or they could have been short staffed. Fun plaece regardless to either pop in for a nice drink, get a few shared plates with some friends, or have a romantic dinner. One block away from the riverwalk as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Zinc - you kinda stink!BucksterDined on 3/24/2014Maybe it was the tomato sauce stained paper menu, maybe it was the hole in the floor boards that my chair leg fell into,maybe it was the uneven / stressed out service, maybe it was the uninspiring food - but Zinc turned out to be the most disappointing meal experience of our 5 day stay in San Antonio. Especially, because the reviews we read were so positive and we really wanted to be impressed. Some style - but definitely not the substance
- Zinc is preciousOKCathyDined on 3/17/2014The food was divine -- from the escargots to the excellently prepared salads, and from the handcrafted cocktails to the delicious crab cakes and shrimp skewers. We were surprised that in spite of empty tables, numerous staff mentioned how busy they were. Not sure if that was due to short staffing or what, but we had some pacing issues with our meal that were well handled in the end. Thanks to the manager for making sure our meal was special!Special Features:
- mmmmOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/15/2014Texas and Zinc salad very well done. Otherwise service very slow to come to take orders, bring orders or timely wait on the table. Bypass Boudro's guac...go to Boudro's for it as it is not the same. Calamari way overbreaded as in 2X bread:calamari. Restaurant was not full nor empty but rather moderate clientele and plenty of servers just not organized.Special Features:
- Excellent food!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/14/2014Prices were so reasonable and the wine list unbelievable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-theater dinnerbwolpmanDined on 3/12/2014We enjoyed our celebration and pre-theater dinner at Zinc. The food was delicious and everyone in our group enjoyed the menu choices as well as the scrumptious dish that delivered what the description promised. Service became a little slow as our waiter was helping with a larger party, and we still got to the Majestic in plenty of time without stress. No doubt, we will return to Zinc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.