zinc @ shade
1221 N Valley Dr
Manhattan Beach, CA 90266Neighborhood:
Manhattan Beach / Hermosa Beach
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
zinc @ shade
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.shadehotel.com/eat_zincbar.php
- Phone: 3104693466
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 7:00am - 11:30am
Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 5:00pm
Saturday & Sunday: 9:00am - 5:00pm
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Private Party Facilities: For an unforgettable evening, host a tailor made event choosing from unique tray passed hors'd'oeuvres and a specialty catering menu. You relax - the rest is on us!
- Private Party Contact: Private Event Coordinator 8889893512
A word from zinc @ shade
A true fusion of coastal living with LA nightlife. We turn the lights down low, mix a sultry Martini, pour a glass of Napa Cab, prepare a spread of small plates. Cool, hip, comfortable, inviting, you'll relax in our neo-modular furniture designed by Christopher Lowell. Zinc has perhaps the longest bar in South Bay. In the lounge or on the terrace, you can enjoy our menu of unusual small plates, both sweet and savory. Through a unique European wine preservation system, we offer a large selection of fine wines by the glass. The food, the drink, the environment, the service. Zinc is an indulgence -- a sensory experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
zinc @ shade - Best Restaurants in Manhattan Beach / Hermosa Beach ›
zinc @ shade reviews from OpenTable diners
23 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (13)great for lunch (10)neighborhood gem (7)fit for foodies (7)great for brunch (5)vibrant bar scene (4)romantic (4)hot spot (3)kid-friendly (2)good for groups (2)notable wine list (2)special occasion (2)Show More
- Unexpected FindOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/29/2014Travelled here from Vegas and really was surprised. Great find inside of the Shade hotel and the server was very attentive and professional. Food was very good and the small portions allowed us to try multiple things. The setting is very nice as well!Special Features:
- DineLA TreatZinLoverDined on 7/25/2014We had an excellent DineLA prix fixe meal, with innovative dishes that were so well prepared that we opted for two desserts (not included) which were also nicely prepared with fresh ingredients. The pace of the meal was very uneven, however, we waited an eternity for our entrees and never got anyone to pick up our credit card payment. We had to go inside and hunt down a manager. Worth a visit if you have all day... or night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beachy vibe!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/24/2014I love coming here for drinks early on in the night with my girlfriends. The food is also consistently tasty. Service can be slow, but the staff is always very polite.Special Features:
- great location & foodskimDined on 7/23/2014I recommend the sitting outdoors. It feels like you're on vacation enjoying a great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awful and not worth moneyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/19/2014We spent $100 and the food was terrible! Dinela should be ashamed to have this restaurant listed with them. We were starving after spending that kind of money! Never going back for food only for a drink. We had to go out to eat after and that's my biggest pet peeve! One star for the nice waiter who was open to my suggestions and it's a pretty nice lounge... But we would rather have great food, than great atmosphere although both would be stellar!Special Features:
- A favorite relaxing lunch spot!foodiem0mVIPDined on 7/18/2014A great place - great food- relaxing (lunch) dinner a bit livelier - great service - great people watching! The roasted fish with asparagus and buerre blanc was fantastic! My daughter had the tacos and the plate was amazing and she loved it. I started with a green salad with goat cheese and pecans - also terrific. She had tuna tartare tacos which she loved! We were seated on the patio on a beautiful day - the service was terrific and I can't think of the last time we had such an enjoyable and relaxing afternoon lunch.Special Features:
- Nice lunch spotKCinMBDined on 7/18/2014Zinc @ Shade has very nice salads and a nice drink selection. The service is great. Definitely recommend for a nice lunch in MB. Not overly crowded or noisy.Special Features:
- Great lunch spot!3XaDayDined on 7/11/2014The outdoor dining ambiance is excellent for lunch and I suspect in the evenings as well. There is something great for all palates. You must try the goat cheese chicken quesadilla - it's different and delicious. I wholeheartedly recommend Zinc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Adult Grilled Cheese - Yum!Food4AllVIPDined on 6/23/2014We went early around happy hour time at 5:30 on a Monday, so it was very quiet and the atmosphere was great - blues and greens - so even though you are not on the beach ,you feel like you are. We loved the brie and pear and blue cheese, fig, and walnut grilled cheese sandwiches. So yummy! I would definitely visit here again when in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not so muchDinecatDined on 6/18/2014Waited 20 minutes to be seated. They had a party and the kitchen was "jammed," so the dinner menu was not available. Hostess was rude. I wish that had been noted on open table when I made reservations.Special Features:
- Terrible serviceAimster23Dined on 5/15/2014The restaurant was not crowded yet we had to wait a long time before anyone came by our table after we were seated by the hostess. The food was good (ahi salad and fish tacos) but that took a long time coming out of the kitchen too. The poor service overshadowed the whole dining experience. When we left, the valet took forever to get our car even though no one else was waiting. He said he couldn't get the car to start but it was fine beforehand and afterwards - I think it was operator error. The whole staff seems inept.
- The following 32 reviews are from the zinc @ shade reviews archive.
- Good timeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/4/2014We had a very nice time at Zinc although we'll have to come back another time when we can sit outside. I was under the impression that the restaurant was rooftop and had a view but there was a private party going on while we were there so we didn't really get a chance to explore too much or see the entire space. Food was decent and drinks were good.Special Features:
- Excellent overall!!Zen87Dined on 3/30/2014Zinc has wonderful ambiance! It is beautiful! The service was excellent and we had a very large party. The food and drinks were great too!
- Nice patio Brunch in Manhattan BeacluveditVIPDined on 3/23/2014Zinc, the patio restaurant at the Shade Hotel is a great spot for Weekend Breakfast or Brunch. Nice intimate patio is not usually too busy and they take reservations.Special Features:
- Great food and free tablesJeremyVIPDined on 3/21/2014The food is really good and the cocktails are good too. The restaurant is some weird cross between a disco without a dance floor and a bar though, so it's incredibly loud (music). If you sit on the patio it's closer to a normal restaurant. We've been twice in the past week because the food (especially the small plates tapa styles and all the different grilled cheese sandwich choices) really is excellent. It's probably the only venue in Manhattan Beach with great food and still be nearly empty on a Friday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Weekday breakfastBCDanceDined on 2/14/2014Went there for breakfast. Beautiful day so we say outside. Food was excellent. Try the ginger mimosa; it was awesome. Service was okay. Not bad, just not great. Park around the corner or you'll be paying for valet.Special Features:
- Cute SpotLilNinjaDined on 2/1/2014I came for DineLA lunch and I had looked at the wrong lunch special menu online so I was confused when I got there. I saw that their lunch special was a soup/salad, entree, side, and beverage including either wine or beer for $15. The DineLA menu was also $15 but was for a specialty appetizer and entree only, seemed like the regular special was a better deal. Food turned out to be very good but they messed up the bill. They explained it looked right on the computer but printed out wrong. They had to fix it twice but apologized. In the end the tax was still based on the wrong amount but was only a couple of bucks. The beers were charging $12 instead of $6. I would go back for their regular lunch special and keep an eye out on the bill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale menu, nice portions,SonohloDined on 1/30/2014Upscale menu, nice portions, great service, easy to find parking... great experience overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Change!JillDined on 1/30/2014Met some friends for lunch here. Service was wonderful, food too!Special Features:
- Went here for DineLA and wasOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/29/2014Went here for DineLA and was pleasantly surprised! It's in a hotel, but it's still very cool and boutique-y. Their portion sizes are perfect and the menu is creative and delicious. Get the artichoke app and try one of their homemade desserts!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous brunchHOLLYDined on 1/19/2014We four, plus two children, had a delightful experience...excellent service..great choice of drinks..we had Bellini, Bloody Mary, Chardonnay, and champagne..lemonade and milk too...children had fish tacos and goggled them!..loved my chilaquilles, friends had ahi sandwich with sweet potatoe fries, spinach salad with calamari, and shade omelette..all dishes were rated very good bu us! Would return and recommend to friends!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Fish TacosNancyMVIPDined on 1/6/2014The carne asada and the fish tacos were terrific. My dining companion said the fish tacos were the best he had eaten anywhere, and he orders them everywhere they are offered. Service was a bit slow at first. Think the wait staff was not sufficient for the number of customers. One man was trying to run the bar, seat customers, and take orders. We were not in a hurry, but if we had been on a lunch hour break, we would have found ourselves stretched. About halfway through our lunch, more servers appeared and the service evened out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice place for a mid-daywolfemanVIPDined on 12/25/2013Very nice place for a mid-day snack and a nice alcoholic drink, or lunch. Has a great selection of items to choose from the light side to great sandwiches or salads. A great place to stop if you are taking a walk on a Sunday afternoon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Zinc Restaurant at Shade HoteldparkinsonVIPDined on 12/8/2013Great food--dark golden eggs means healthy chickens that lived in sunshine; good smokey bacon. My husband had Tuscan grilled cheese with tomatoes and basil that he said was delicious. I would definitely go again next time we're in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great AtmosphereJamieDined on 11/16/2013I went to zince@Shade with my girlfriends for dinner. The food and drinks were both awesome, we ordered from the small plates menu and had the calamari as an appetizer. I ordered the "Lobsta" tacos which were delicious and the Mexican corn on the cob, which I shared with the entire party... yummy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday BrunchDinningDivaDined on 11/10/2013I found this place on yelp and decided to give it a try for my aunt's birthday. I mentioned my plans while at another establishment and a woman told me it was a terrific place. As soon as we arrived i was pleased with the decor and ambiance. The food was mouthwatering. I especially love that my aunt received a birthday treat which made her especially happy. Friendly staff and great foodI will most certainly be visiting again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This a great place too meetOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/9/2013This a great place too meet up for lunch. Normally there is a wait so make a reservation. Try the lavender champagne!Special Features:
- Has it allLoverlyDined on 10/29/2013It is a great bar and has a nice "tapas style" menu. Plenty to eat but instead of a full meal it is better to have a drink and share. Had pest shrimp pizza, mushroom grilled cheese and Calamari. Calamari was to die for.Special Features:
- Great MB hotel restaurantDiggieVIPDined on 8/15/2013For a restaurant in a small hotel, Zinc is actually pretty good. It exceeded our expectations. The hostess was nice and the wait staff were attentive. We tried their tapas style menu, the calamari was excellent, beet salad was delicious and the sliders were amazing. We also has their 3 desserts and we liked the beignets the most. Will definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun spotOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/26/2013Zinc is attached to the hotel shade, a boutique hotel in the area. It's pretty much an extension of the bar on the patio. They had a DJ and the place was getting pretty crowded and more club like when we were leaving. Food was good- we went for dineLA restaurant week. Ordered sangria pitcher- it didn't come out stirred or with a stirrer, so our first pour was just wine. It was better after stirred. Ceviche appetizer was delicious- great flavors. Main dish salmon was ok- sauce was too salty and strong for me. Desert pana cotta was half frozen and had a very sour glaze that I didn't like. Service was spotty, but I think there might have just been one person out there. Overall, decent food and hip restaurant/bar scene.Special Features:
- Caught Them on a Off NightlovefoodDined on 7/25/2013When we arrived no one helped us. Eventually someone came over. We let her know we had a resv. & she told us we could sit anywhere-she left & we sat ourselves. Then after a few min. a server came over & brought us menus.The cocktails we ordered were the only thing that came out in a timely manner & were good. Our appetizers took a while & were okay. It was late & we were hungry. After a decent amount of time had passed & still no main course, we decided to leave. Before we caught anyone's attention, the manager came over, apologized, offered us more drinks-we declined & offered to pay for what we had. She said no & took care of the bill & gave us a credit to come back. She handled the situation like a pro! We'll give them another try.Special Features:
- Came here for DineLA--wanted to lovJunnVIPDined on 7/25/2013When we arrived (we were 20 mins. early for our reservation), it wasn't crowded yet, but I waited for someone to attend to us. 2 servers just passed by us. Appetizers were ceviche for me, and tacos for my husband. The ceviche was super acidic! but the tacos were good. While we were still eating our appetizers, the server came out with the entrees already. I was like, "oh, we need a little more time, as you can see we're still working on the appetizers." 5 mins after, another server came back with the entree. seriously? When I'm dining out I don't like to be rushed. . Entree was ok, nothing to really rave about. Dessert were cheese cake (which was yum) and pannacotta (which was inedible). It was super sour I couldn't even swallow it.Special Features:
- Love the vegan enchiladas!CrystalVIPDined on 7/22/2013It is SO hard to find awesome vegan food in the South Bay so when I saw that Zinc had a vegan offering on their DineLA menu I was thrilled! Ever since Mucho closed I have been dying for good vegan enchiladas and Zinc's totally hit the spot. The drinks were great and really creative and the service was excellent, very accommodating. I can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok mealjad2190Dined on 7/18/2013We were able to get a lovely seat outside and the restaurant is right in the heart of Manhattan Beach. Our appetizers were great (ceviche and tacos) and our main course was good (5-star salmon, 4-star enchiladas). The problem was dessert - the cheesecake and panna cotta were still so frozen when served that they were near impossible to eat. The frozen bits we were able to chip away were tasty, but it was obvious that the restaurant had bulk-made the desserts and didn't have time/space/foresight to defrost before serving. Overall we had a good experience, but would have liked a better finish to the meal.Special Features:
- Gold Standard for Outdoor LunchTangoDined on 7/17/2013Dined on outdoor patio area on a gorgeous day! Overlooks a shared courtyard in a small upscale center. Trendy ambiance. Had Kobe mushroom burger--meat cooked to order with delicious portobello slices and other toppings. Side of sweet potato fries also perfectly cooked. Husband ordered off Dine L.A. menu - house salad with arugula, corn, dried berries was delicious...didn't need the smoked salmon...couldn't taste it anyway. Had steak sandwich, impressed with tender meat, bread, and the housemade chips that were gently crispy, not oily. Service first-rate. Portion sized not huge, but good for the price--about $14-16 for lunch entrees with sides. (BTW...they should sell the pepper/salt grinders!) Will return for dinner soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experience for myJosephVIPDined on 7/10/2013Excellent experience for my impromptu team event. Zinc easily accommodate my growing party, a reservation for 8 inched up to 12 and they just rolled with it. Everyone enjoyed their food choices. The chef's interpretation of caprese salad with hulled heirloom tomatoes was incredible. The hostess and server were awesome, especially given a large group - 5 stars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice finger food with a cool long bOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/25/2013Everything seems apt for sharing, overall a decent selection of bar aperitif. complaint was that their Manhattan served over an iced tumbler sounds like a good idea until the liquid melts the tumbler and you end up putting some drink on yourself. Nice idea, probably a combination of my poor drink etiquette and an idea that is better seen and not embibed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A findOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/3/2013A great find at the end of a spectacular day! A relaxed, spontaneous day laced with a leisurely stroll through Laguna Beach, excitement in Iron Man 3, a gorgeous sunset and delicious mushroom soup at Zinc at Shade! The strawberry salad and French fries had just the right savory and sweetness!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal, fab service.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/31/2013This was a wonderful Dine LA find. I'd been meaning to come here forever, and when Dine LA came, convinced some of my foodie coworkers to join me for lunch as a team morale event. The service was great and we had a lovely patio table waiting for us when we arrived. The Dine LA menu offered many options in two courses. The soup was delicious, and the mahi mahi entry was really good. Considering the $15 price, it was a steal -- I would have considered it a good meal and a much higher price point. Also, love the ambiance here with its updated mid century chic. This will be a staple for future lunches.Special Features:
- Ladies Who Lunch...NoWeightWatchersHereDined on 1/30/2013Had the sip 'n' dip appetizer & the ahi sandwich. The ahi was cooked just right, and the red onions, avocado & tasty bread made the sandwich a winner. Service was friendly.Special Features: