Zin American Bistro
198 S Palm Canyon Dr
Palm Springs, CA 92262Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Zin American Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://pszin.com/
- Phone: (760) 322-6300
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Daily 11:00 - 3pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 10pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 11pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Luis Vega
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have our 'Wine Room' which seats about 40 and our Patio with seating for 45 on each side. Contact Mindy Reed via email for special menus and buy out pricing.
- Private Party Contact: Mindy Reed 7603226300x
- Special Events: We are available for reception dinners and will reserve our restaurant for your special party. Seating available for up to 150.
Contact Mindy Reed via email for special menus and buy out pricing.
A word from Zin American Bistro
Zin American Bistro is an attempt to modernize and Americanize the traditional French Bistro concept. With Zin recently winning Best of Palm Springs and a review of “quite possibly the best food for the money in the Coachella Valley” from author Peter Osbaldeston’s Palm Springs Dining Bible, Chef Nicolas Klontz and wine director Mindy Reed have indeed raised the bar of casual fine dining in Palm Springs. Zin has over 450 wines on their list and has won the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence for 9 years. With choices from the Kobe Style Beef Burger ($16) and Mussels & Frites($21) to the Rabbit ($28) or a Prime Hanger Steak ($29) there is something for everyone. Be sure to save room for some house made desserts and a glass of port for a perfect finish. Attentive, friendly yet unobtrusive service with Wine Director Reed or our Sommelier Gene available to guide you thru the carefully selected wine list and Craft Cocktails created nightly by our Bar Manager Joshua VaNess.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Zin American Bistro - Best Restaurants in Palm Springs ›
Zin American Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
76 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (56)fit for foodies (42)neighborhood gem (34)special occasion (24)notable wine list (22)romantic (20)good for groups (19)great for lunch (16)great for brunch (14)hot spot (12)scenic view (10)vibrant bar scene (5)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Great Dining in the Heart of TownElmerDined on 11/16/2014Zin is in the heart of Palm Springs with great patio seating and a broad range of food selections. The meals are fantastic and the ambiance outstanding. After dinner, enjoy strolling downtown Palm Springs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice brunch place in the shade.QuennyDined on 11/16/2014Perfect for a Sunday brunch. Good food with a nice choice of items, both breakfast and lunch, and excellent service. Good view of Palm Canyon Drive but in the shade.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Serviceable but nothing memorableOsprey4356VIPDined on 11/8/2014The prix fixe menu is nicely priced and portions are very large. It's not fit for foodies- it's just decent basic food. Not bad, just nothing memorable.
- Try the soup!TheColonelVIPDined on 11/6/2014They have the best mushroom soup of any Palm Springs restaurant and most all restaurants in the world, so come on in try it and let me know if you agree or not? I highly recommend this great restaurant A+Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- christianVIPDined on 10/25/2014Lovely dinner at Zin out on the patio. Food and service were very good even after all the years they have been open.I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time Winner24dinnerVIPDined on 10/21/2014Excellent choice on a busy street of restaurants in downtown Palm Springs.Off season three course special menu great value at $ 19.99. Either salad or soup to start, wide variety of entrees [ try the Veal Meatballs or Sand Dabs ] The ZIN burger was a five star burger. Attentive service by Dominick helped make this an enjoyable evening spent with visiting cousins.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always wonderfulnancycunninghamVIPDined on 10/16/2014Zin is one of my favorite Palm Springs restaurants. It is quietly elegant, but in now way pretentious. The menu is wonderful, but it is not "tricky." I don't ever remember being disappointed at Zin---but, I don't ever remember ordering anything except the sensational Beef Stew. I make Julia Child's beef burgundy and this is every bit as succulent.Special Features:
- WallyDined on 10/3/2014Food was excellent and the service great. Would recommend this restaurant to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best corner eatery in Palm Springs!RandyDined on 9/28/2014Great waite staff, good food, eat at your leisure. All around fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unusually off night?JamesVIPDined on 9/23/2014We love Zin American Bistro. So, having said that, we had a pretty off dinner. Service, mostly, lacked a great deal. Don't know if this is due to "between season" staffing issues with fluctuation of business or what. Food was brought twice without removing dirty plates first. When clearing took place, it was not complete. Just enough to get the new food put down. I almost exclusively have mussels at Zin, one of the only places in town for good ones. They were off and not satisfying. Another entree was chicken, but was dry. Our waiter didn't return once to pour empty wine glasses. Just a myriad of little things added up. Will we return? Yes, of course. This is one of our favorite restaurants in town! Just an off night we're hopingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very niceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/20/2014The food and service was very good. Only surprise was that the menu prices were higher than what they were on their website.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- daveyDaveyDined on 9/8/2014Used to live in Palm Springs and Zin was one of my regulars. Although things have changed a bit over the years, it's still on my to-do list when I visit PS. The food is consistently good and the service and friendliness are the bestSpecial Features:
- LadyVIPDined on 9/7/2014Zin was a nice place to eat,with a reasonably price menu. If your in town shopping or sightseeing you should stop by and have a bite to eat either lunch or dinner. We had good service and food for dinner. The mussels with the different sauces either appetizer or main course were worth the money. We would go back again if in Palm Springs.Special Features:
- Zin BistroDancinfrankDined on 8/31/2014I enjoyed Zin Bistro in Palm Springs. Thought the food was good but not outstanding. Fried chicken was good but the whole dish was not very warm. Wine was good. Good selections. Overall it was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/31/2014Never disappoints. Been going for years. Love the fried chicken and the rabbit. Great wine selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a finddenheckDined on 8/31/2014Read some reviews and thought we would give it a try. Boy were we pleased with our choice of Zin. Nicolle was a real gem to seat us where we wanted and made us feel at home. Finally decided on the Prix Fixed menu for $20 for a two course meal. What a sauce and nice juicy piece of pork. After reviewing the menu, we will definitely be returning to try other offerings from this menu. Hats off to the chef and crew. We visit PSprings frequently and will certainly be returning in the near future. (Nicolle inform me that they are no relation to the Zin in Healdsburg (Sonoma), CA.) But doesn't matter since Zin American Bistro can hold its own again most restaurants. Give it a try. You won't be disappointed. Cheers to Zin!!Special Features:
- This Is Our Go-To PlaceBuckoDined on 8/30/2014We love trying new restaurants, but sometimes there just isn't anywhere new or we don't want to risk a disappointment when entertaining guests. Zin is consistently excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We'll be back.StaceyKDined on 8/30/2014Made a reservation here for six girls to celebrate my best friend's bachelorette weekend. What a great place! The servers and hostess were very friendly, and made great recommendations. The atmosphere was fun -- classic bistro style -- and it was a good crowd. Food was delish! Everything was cooked perfectly. Plus I was impressed by their wine selection. Every end of the spectrum from pricey to reasonable. Will definitely be going back the next time I'm in Palm Springs.Special Features:
- BatBoyVIPDined on 8/30/2014It's been downhill for the past 7 years... since the first time I ate here, it's never been as good. Too bad.
- always a good choiceNolandVIPDined on 8/29/2014Over the years I have eaten a Zin many times and it is very consistant with good food and good service. This time they were training some new folks and maybe we were interrupted a couple times too often and to early to clear our plates. I will definately go back but they might twick that a bite.Special Features:
- GREAT EXPERIENCEJAMIEDined on 8/28/2014WE WERE INTRODUCED TO ZIN IN MARCH FOR LUNCH. WHEN WE WERE BACK IS APRIL, WE DINED THERE THREE TIMES. THIS IS OUT OF A THURSDAY NIGHT TILL SUNDAY STAY. WE WERE BACK FOR LABOR DAYAND DINED THERE TWICE, SERVICE IS GREAT AND IS FOOD. PEOPLE WATCHING FUN TOO.Special Features:
- Consistently Great Food & ServiceViewsVIPDined on 8/23/2014Have dined here several time. Food and service are always consistently good. Early specials are worth the visit!Special Features:
- Consistently Amazing!!!BrinkDined on 8/14/2014I have been going to Zin for over 3 years now. First and foremost, I must commend Nicole the maitre d'. She has such a professional and classy presence and always make my guests and I feel like VIP's and family each and everytime. Also, the filet mignon is always cooked perfectly and always tender. They always honor all of my gluten free requests and many of their items are local and sustainable!!!! Bravo!!Special Features:
- Service, wonderful. Food, blandOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/6/2014Our server was tremendous. Our main courses were very bland, served on white rice ...no taste. As locals and part time residents of Palm Springs, our guests will not recommend or return.Special Features:
- Food: Fantistic. Dogs: Not So MuchTntLAVIPDined on 8/2/2014My husband and I came here based on the reviews here for the fried chicken. No lie on that - the chicken was to die for...was crunchy without being greasy. I had the seared duck breast special which was fabulous - wonderful sear on the skin and melt in your mouth tender on the inside. We sat outside (great for people watching) and would do that again. The only thing we had an issue with were other patrons with dogs. We are pet owners and understand the love people have for their four legged family members, but it is NOT OK to let them sit at the table, eat off the plates or use the bathrooms...gross. That said, we would go back for the fabulous food, but will go some place else if we see any patrons with dogs again.Special Features:
- Surprisingly GoodAlvinFDined on 8/2/2014Everything at this restaurant will prompt me to return again and again. The food was tasty, well prepared and served promptly. You have to try Mindy's cheesecake. This restaurant is a keeper.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BobHDined on 8/1/2014An excellent venue. One of the best in Palm Springs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 872 reviews are from the Zin American Bistro reviews archive.
- Awesome!!DanielleDined on 7/26/2014Our experience at Zin American Bistro was awesome! Everything from the food to the service was wonderful! We were a party of 10 women and the restaurant was incredibly accommodating. I would absolutely recommend this restaurant & I hope to return one day!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ordinary and expensiveRyanInPSVIPDined on 7/25/2014This was our second visit to Zin. The first, two years ago, was unremarkable except for the bill which was high. We returned only because some friends wanted to try it and our experience was much the same. Without alcohol we spent $50/pp which wouldn't have been bad if the food had been better. Don't get me wrong. Nothing we had was bad and I wouldn't complain if it had cost less but, at that price point, I felt we were entitled to a better meal.
- Wonderful Food/Incredible ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/21/2014I have been to the same restaurant over the years. Last night's meal (July 21, 2014) was the best one I have had at this restaurant since it opened. I ordered the special appetizer (chilled melon gazpacho) and the special salmon (with crab and an amazing sauce), and thought each dish was perfect. The cheese plate starter was also a hit at my table, as was and the wonderful service (by a charming, attentive waiter).Special Features:
- Give Zin a try....great food et alBobEVIPDined on 7/19/2014Don't know about the inside dining, but the outside dining was fabulous....food, service, street scene....and the $19.99 two-course was wonderful and enough for two to split. The restaurant scene at the other two corners may be hot, but give Zin a try, you'll like it.Special Features:
- RobertDined on 7/15/2014We are permanent residents of Palm Springs. This past Spring, we realized that we had never tried Zin out for dinner. This past week was our third dinner at Zin and we thoroughly enjoyed it. First, the prices are very reasonable for a "downtown" restaurant. The server, Eric, whom we have had three times is the best! He is prompt, courteous, attentive and very knowledgeable. He is a gem. We look forward to our next visit and will definitely recommend Zin to our friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super neighborhood spot!RandyDined on 7/13/2014Several of our group eat here pretty regularly because it is always friendly, great food, and service! Our Anniversary party for 3 couples was really fun and a great, enjoyable time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!!!!HBsurfsideDined on 7/8/2014Great food, great cocktails and amazing service! A wonderful experience and location in the heart of Palm Springs!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/6/2014We go to Zin every trip to PS. Last visit was at 8:30 pm on Sunday of July 4 weekend, so restaurant was very quiet. Service is always spectacular, and food exquisite.Special Features:
- Consistently goodXavierVIPDined on 7/6/2014Been here twice this year while planning to move to PSP- food is always consistently good, service is friendly and prompt. Enjoy your experience at this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/4/2014We always have wonderful experiences and food at Zin and have been going for years. The wait staff is knowledgeable, attentive, friendly. I had the sand dabs which I thoroughly enjoyed. If there is one criticism I have, it is about the cocktails. This doesn't only apply to Zin, however. At our recent visit to Zin, I ordered a Chopin martini. Yes, I realize this is considered top shelf vodka, but the staff must need a ladder to reach that shelf because $16.00 at Zin, for a martini, in my opinion, is overpriced. I have watched the drinks go from $10.00, to $10.00 with a $2.00 Up charge (yes,UP charge), then $12.00 with a $2.00 Up charge, and now $14.00 with a 2.00 Up charge. I will just start having a pre-dinner cocktail before dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Holds it ownSudsDined on 7/1/2014Starting as a tribute to Zinfindal wine, the theme has changed a bit but good wine stays strong as a notable difference from most nearby eateries. The truffle soup is the best. The menu is well balanced to the wine list.Special Features:
- Just averageOc6283VIPDined on 6/28/2014Nothing special; Palms Springs is full of much better choices.
- people watchingPSRodVIPDined on 6/27/2014Food is usually good now that there is a new chef. Nice outdoor dining to do people watching. Great place for brunch or lunch. Fried chicken is to die for. Had their two course dinner for fixed price. Pretty good bargain. Both of us started with a wedge that was very good. Wife had San Dabs which she liked and I had chicken which was a little tough and dry. Both came with rice which was overcooked or tasted like minute rice. Finished up with a tart which was very good.Special Features: