Zin American Bistro
198 S Palm Canyon Dr
Palm Springs, CA 92262Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Zin American Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://pszin.com/
- Phone: 7603226300
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Daily 11:00 - 3pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chris Bowman
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have two rooms available for private parties. One is the main dining room which seats 65. In our "wine room" we also have seating for 40. Chef Klontz will make a menu to suit your needs.
- Private Party Contact: Mindy Reed 7603226300
- Special Events: We are available for reception dinners and will reserve our restaurant for your special party. Seating available for up to 130
A word from Zin American Bistro
Zin American Bistro is an attempt to modernize and Americanize the traditional French Bistro concept. With Zin recently receiving 3 ½ stars and a review of “quite possibly the best food for the money in the Coachella Valley” from author Peter Osbaldeston’s Palm Springs Dining Bible, Chef Nicolas Klontz and wine director Mindy Reed have indeed raised the bar of casual fine dining in Palm Springs. Zin has over 200 wines on their list and has won the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence for 5 years. With choices from the Kobe Style Beef Burger ($16) and Mussels & Frites($18) to the Rabbit ($25) or a Prime Hanger Steak ($26) there is something for everyone. Be sure to save room for some house made desserts and a glass of port for a perfect finish. Attentive, friendly yet unobtrusive service with Wine Director Reed available to guide you thru her carefully selected wine list and Chef Klontz greeting diners personally between courses make dining at Zin a night to remember.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Zin American Bistro - Best Restaurants in Palm Springs ›
Zin American Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
98 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (65)fit for foodies (45)neighborhood gem (42)special occasion (38)notable wine list (25)romantic (24)good for groups (21)great for lunch (16)hot spot (14)great for brunch (12)vibrant bar scene (6)scenic view (5)late-night find (2)Show More
- daveyDaveyDined on 9/8/2014Used to live in Palm Springs and Zin was one of my regulars. Although things have changed a bit over the years, it's still on my to-do list when I visit PS. The food is consistently good and the service and friendliness are the bestSpecial Features:
- LadyDined on 9/7/2014Zin was a nice place to eat,with a reasonably price menu. If your in town shopping or sightseeing you should stop by and have a bite to eat either lunch or dinner. We had good service and food for dinner. The mussels with the different sauces either appetizer or main course were worth the money. We would go back again if in Palm Springs.Special Features:
- Zin BistroDancinfrankDined on 8/31/2014I enjoyed Zin Bistro in Palm Springs. Thought the food was good but not outstanding. Fried chicken was good but the whole dish was not very warm. Wine was good. Good selections. Overall it was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/31/2014Never disappoints. Been going for years. Love the fried chicken and the rabbit. Great wine selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a finddenheckDined on 8/31/2014Read some reviews and thought we would give it a try. Boy were we pleased with our choice of Zin. Nicolle was a real gem to seat us where we wanted and made us feel at home. Finally decided on the Prix Fixed menu for $20 for a two course meal. What a sauce and nice juicy piece of pork. After reviewing the menu, we will definitely be returning to try other offerings from this menu. Hats off to the chef and crew. We visit PSprings frequently and will certainly be returning in the near future. (Nicolle inform me that they are no relation to the Zin in Healdsburg (Sonoma), CA.) But doesn't matter since Zin American Bistro can hold its own again most restaurants. Give it a try. You won't be disappointed. Cheers to Zin!!Special Features:
- This Is Our Go-To PlaceBuckoDined on 8/30/2014We love trying new restaurants, but sometimes there just isn't anywhere new or we don't want to risk a disappointment when entertaining guests. Zin is consistently excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We'll be back.StaceyKDined on 8/30/2014Made a reservation here for six girls to celebrate my best friend's bachelorette weekend. What a great place! The servers and hostess were very friendly, and made great recommendations. The atmosphere was fun -- classic bistro style -- and it was a good crowd. Food was delish! Everything was cooked perfectly. Plus I was impressed by their wine selection. Every end of the spectrum from pricey to reasonable. Will definitely be going back the next time I'm in Palm Springs.Special Features:
- BatBoyVIPDined on 8/30/2014It's been downhill for the past 7 years... since the first time I ate here, it's never been as good. Too bad.
- always a good choiceNolandDined on 8/29/2014Over the years I have eaten a Zin many times and it is very consistant with good food and good service. This time they were training some new folks and maybe we were interrupted a couple times too often and to early to clear our plates. I will definately go back but they might twick that a bite.Special Features:
- GREAT EXPERIENCEJAMIEDined on 8/28/2014WE WERE INTRODUCED TO ZIN IN MARCH FOR LUNCH. WHEN WE WERE BACK IS APRIL, WE DINED THERE THREE TIMES. THIS IS OUT OF A THURSDAY NIGHT TILL SUNDAY STAY. WE WERE BACK FOR LABOR DAYAND DINED THERE TWICE, SERVICE IS GREAT AND IS FOOD. PEOPLE WATCHING FUN TOO.Special Features:
- Consistently Great Food & ServiceViewsVIPDined on 8/23/2014Have dined here several time. Food and service are always consistently good. Early specials are worth the visit!Special Features:
- Consistently Amazing!!!BrinkDined on 8/14/2014I have been going to Zin for over 3 years now. First and foremost, I must commend Nicole the maitre d'. She has such a professional and classy presence and always make my guests and I feel like VIP's and family each and everytime. Also, the filet mignon is always cooked perfectly and always tender. They always honor all of my gluten free requests and many of their items are local and sustainable!!!! Bravo!!Special Features:
- Service, wonderful. Food, blandOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/6/2014Our server was tremendous. Our main courses were very bland, served on white rice ...no taste. As locals and part time residents of Palm Springs, our guests will not recommend or return.Special Features:
- Surprisingly GoodAlvinFDined on 8/2/2014Everything at this restaurant will prompt me to return again and again. The food was tasty, well prepared and served promptly. You have to try Mindy's cheesecake. This restaurant is a keeper.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BobHDined on 8/1/2014An excellent venue. One of the best in Palm Springs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!!DanielleDined on 7/26/2014Our experience at Zin American Bistro was awesome! Everything from the food to the service was wonderful! We were a party of 10 women and the restaurant was incredibly accommodating. I would absolutely recommend this restaurant & I hope to return one day!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ordinary and expensiveRyanInPSVIPDined on 7/25/2014This was our second visit to Zin. The first, two years ago, was unremarkable except for the bill which was high. We returned only because some friends wanted to try it and our experience was much the same. Without alcohol we spent $50/pp which wouldn't have been bad if the food had been better. Don't get me wrong. Nothing we had was bad and I wouldn't complain if it had cost less but, at that price point, I felt we were entitled to a better meal.
- Wonderful Food/Incredible ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/21/2014I have been to the same restaurant over the years. Last night's meal (July 21, 2014) was the best one I have had at this restaurant since it opened. I ordered the special appetizer (chilled melon gazpacho) and the special salmon (with crab and an amazing sauce), and thought each dish was perfect. The cheese plate starter was also a hit at my table, as was and the wonderful service (by a charming, attentive waiter).Special Features:
- Give Zin a try....great food et alBobEVIPDined on 7/19/2014Don't know about the inside dining, but the outside dining was fabulous....food, service, street scene....and the $19.99 two-course was wonderful and enough for two to split. The restaurant scene at the other two corners may be hot, but give Zin a try, you'll like it.Special Features:
- RobertDined on 7/15/2014We are permanent residents of Palm Springs. This past Spring, we realized that we had never tried Zin out for dinner. This past week was our third dinner at Zin and we thoroughly enjoyed it. First, the prices are very reasonable for a "downtown" restaurant. The server, Eric, whom we have had three times is the best! He is prompt, courteous, attentive and very knowledgeable. He is a gem. We look forward to our next visit and will definitely recommend Zin to our friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super neighborhood spot!RandyDined on 7/13/2014Several of our group eat here pretty regularly because it is always friendly, great food, and service! Our Anniversary party for 3 couples was really fun and a great, enjoyable time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!!!!HBsurfsideDined on 7/8/2014Great food, great cocktails and amazing service! A wonderful experience and location in the heart of Palm Springs!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/6/2014We go to Zin every trip to PS. Last visit was at 8:30 pm on Sunday of July 4 weekend, so restaurant was very quiet. Service is always spectacular, and food exquisite.Special Features:
- Consistently goodXavierVIPDined on 7/6/2014Been here twice this year while planning to move to PSP- food is always consistently good, service is friendly and prompt. Enjoy your experience at this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/4/2014We always have wonderful experiences and food at Zin and have been going for years. The wait staff is knowledgeable, attentive, friendly. I had the sand dabs which I thoroughly enjoyed. If there is one criticism I have, it is about the cocktails. This doesn't only apply to Zin, however. At our recent visit to Zin, I ordered a Chopin martini. Yes, I realize this is considered top shelf vodka, but the staff must need a ladder to reach that shelf because $16.00 at Zin, for a martini, in my opinion, is overpriced. I have watched the drinks go from $10.00, to $10.00 with a $2.00 Up charge (yes,UP charge), then $12.00 with a $2.00 Up charge, and now $14.00 with a 2.00 Up charge. I will just start having a pre-dinner cocktail before dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Holds it ownSudsDined on 7/1/2014Starting as a tribute to Zinfindal wine, the theme has changed a bit but good wine stays strong as a notable difference from most nearby eateries. The truffle soup is the best. The menu is well balanced to the wine list.Special Features:
- Just averageOc6283VIPDined on 6/28/2014Nothing special; Palms Springs is full of much better choices.
- people watchingPSRodVIPDined on 6/27/2014Food is usually good now that there is a new chef. Nice outdoor dining to do people watching. Great place for brunch or lunch. Fried chicken is to die for. Had their two course dinner for fixed price. Pretty good bargain. Both of us started with a wedge that was very good. Wife had San Dabs which she liked and I had chicken which was a little tough and dry. Both came with rice which was overcooked or tasted like minute rice. Finished up with a tart which was very good.Special Features:
- Awesome Birthday Celebration!BirthdayBoyDined on 6/22/2014We have dined at Zin many times and will continue to come back again and again. Nichole is the consummate hostess always certain to welcome her guests like long-lost relatives. I tried the soup of the day - cold cantaloupe - and it was a fabulous surprise for my taste buds! Our dinner here was a highlight of my birthday celebration!Special Features:
- Great patioLocalDined on 6/19/2014Great for patio dining in the winter. Way too hit for summer even with the misters. How about changing up the menu? It's always the same old things.Special Features:
- AnnemDined on 6/14/2014I loved the outdoor patio. The service was excellent. Our server, Dominick, was very attentive. The mussels and the sauce had great flavor although many of the mussels were cold. The zin original hamburger was dry and overlooked. Fries were great. I would return back due to ambience and service and hope the food is better next time.Special Features:
- Great Food, reasonable pricesJimNDined on 6/14/2014What a great place. We sat on the patio, and loved it. The food was great, and the atmosphere was perfect.Special Features:
- Normally lovelyPhantomCDined on 6/6/2014The food is generally wonderful and the atmosphere is pleasant.Special Features:
- Breadrick90802Dined on 6/5/2014The only issue I would have on our experience is that we had to ask for bread. Once we got the bread it only had 4 slices. So again we asked for bread the second tile and again we only got 4 slices. If they had given us 8 slices the first time we may not need to ask for another order of bread. There were only 2 in our party. We enjoy bread with our salads.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classy and elegantMissileDined on 6/5/2014Zin American Bistro is classy and elegant, with a quiet charm and grace. The servers were friendly and efficient, and the food was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous appetizersLynnVIPDined on 6/4/2014It was Palm Springs restaurant week, so they had a special menu, but assured us all the appetizers were on the regular menu, and many of the other items as well. Delicious roasted beet salad. Yummy Zin bites - sort of mini beef Wellingtons. I ordered a pork chop - it was huge! nearly an inch thick and perfectly cooked. Most of the bone had been removed to make eating easier. My companion approved the salmon and for dessert, the bread pudding. I had chocolate mousse for dessert - also yummy. The restaurant has a large covered open area on the corner where most people dine. We thoroughly enjoyed the dinner, but could easily have made a meal from just the appetizers - they were that good. Excellent service - very attentive to our needs.Special Features:
- PUT ON YOUR LISTWONDERFULDined on 6/3/2014This is a real find for excellent food, presentation and an awesome wine list. A local gem in Palm Springs.Special Features:
- Great food / Limited brunch menuSNAFlyBoyDined on 6/1/2014This was our first time at Zin, and we went for Sunday brunch. I was immediately put off by the extremely limited and "too trendy" (IMHO) brunch menu. They were "out of french toast", and only offered one omelette choice. There was no traditional potato side with brunch and they had no soup of the day. We switched to the lunch menu and I went with the hangar steak which was outstanding. My partner had the Prix Fix lunch with Sea Bass, which was also perfectly prepared. Portions were rather small, but acceptable given the lunch pricing. Marco was our server, and provided excellent and personal service. The bus staff was right on top of water and cleared appropriately. I think some tweaks to the menu would attract more customers.Special Features:
- Great staff... not so great meal.LegallyMarriedDined on 5/31/2014Terrific staff but the main course fell flat for all of us. Two had steak, both of which were tough and gristly and I had duck (which the server recommended) which was quite unpleasant and again, tough. Mac and cheese for a side for the steak and a half apple for the duck? Odd, at best. Bread pudding for desert was terrific. NOISY beyond belief. Rock hard chairs that had me feeling bruised by the time we left. Lovely adult crowd but for quality food there is much better for much less in Palm Springs.
- 9 ladies from San DiegoDindinatZin14Dined on 5/31/2014We ate dinner at Zin Saturday night at 6:45 reservation...Everyone was so friendly and the service was spectacular, Ehran our waiter was funny, polite and very attentive!!!Special Features: