Zimzala - Shorebreak Hotel
500 Pacific Coast Highway
Huntington Beach, CA 92648Neighborhood:
Huntington Beach / Seal Beach / Fountain Valley
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Zimzala - Shorebreak Hotel
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.restaurantzimzala.com/
- Phone: 7149605050
- Hours of Operation:
Daily Brunch: Monday - Friday: 7:00am - 2:00pm; Saturday - Sunday 7:00am - 3:00pm Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 6:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 10:00pm; Happy Hour is everyday from 3:00pm - 7:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Californian
- Executive Chef: Roy Hendrickson
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (bar only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We offer a private dining room, as well as a large ballroom. For more information you can contact Jan Douglas Catering Manager for Shorebreak Hotel at 714-965-4412
- Private Party Facilities: For perfect private events with style, enjoy Zimzala's private dining room with a stone fireplace and adjacent outdoor patio.
- Private Party Contact: Jan Douglas 7148614470
- Entertainment: Live Music plays every Sunday from 3:00pm - 6:00pm in the Lounge
A word from Zimzala - Shorebreak Hotel
Located across from the beach in Surf City USA, Zimzala® is a Huntington Beach restaurant featuring traditional, American favorites, handcrafted cocktails, a hip and stylish décor and a youthful energetic vibe. Zimzala® is the living room of Huntington Beach... the perfect place to unwind and enjoy the company of others as you share your stories of the day’s activities!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Zimzala - Shorebreak Hotel reviews from OpenTable diners
17 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (9)scenic view (7)fit for foodies (6)special occasion (6)great for brunch (5)great for lunch (5)neighborhood gem (5)good for groups (4)romantic (4)kid-friendly (3)vibrant bar scene (3)hot spot (2)late-night find (2)Show More
- Great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/20/2014We celebrated our friend's birthday on a Saturday night. The service was excellent. We ordered couple appetizers and few main dishes for us to share. Everything we ordered was yummy. I would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Long and not rewardingDenver2NashDined on 8/17/2014The food was barely average... The mussels were some of the tiniest I've seen, the entire meal (apps and entrees) took 2 hours. No apologies from servers, nothing done. Expensive, and not even close to worth it. At 7:30, they were out of half of their entrees, and it wasn't busy.
- Nice for lunch in HB.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/8/2014Not the craziness of the pier. Parking is a bit of a challenge.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- chuckDined on 7/19/2014best place to eat while in huntington beach. can't beat the food or staff or neighborhoodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HIdden GemABriefDined on 7/19/2014Atmosphere is wonderful and the service was first class.
- Anniversary DinnerAllisonDined on 7/14/2014My husband and I came here for our wedding anniversary. The food was amazing, like always! My husband ordered the prime rib and I had the lamb. It came out perfectly cooked! Our server was very friendly and the ambiance was perfect! Thanks for making our night so special!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingDeejayDined on 7/11/2014Sadly, although well reviewed on Trip Advisor, we were very disappointed after being shown to our table and then being ignored for nearly 1/2 hour before being asked what we would like to drink. The Sea Bass was not sufficiently cooked, pink and raw in the middle, not how this fish should be offered. The restaurant wasn't particularly busy either. People arriving after us were served before us! Poor service, poor quality cooking, pity because this was our last evening in the USA after 2 weeks of otherwise superb food and exemplary service.
- Great Food for kidsDinneroutDined on 7/5/2014Even the kids liked it. We have picky eaters and they loved their meal they picked out.Special Features:
- The following 303 reviews are from the Zimzala - Shorebreak Hotel reviews archive.
- has potentialfrekwentdinerVIPDined on 4/23/2014Let me start with the odd decor. Modern and eclectic, yes. There was a large photograph of a beautiful girl with one button buttoned on her button down shirt. Fine for an art gallery, maybe, but we did not enjoy having her stare at us, larger than life. Especially awkward for my young son. Service was hit and miss. My kids' burger came out mooing. Wedge was ok. The bacon on it was odd. I don't recommend it and won't return.
- Breakfast by the beachSamsonDined on 3/22/2014This was the best location for a party of eight to have a breakfast birthday meal. We wanted to sit on the patio so we could see the pier, but the morning was chilly so they even provided blankets! The food was excellent. Service could not have been better! I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great nightRhondakDined on 3/20/2014Food and service were great. Had our dog with us so we ate on the patio. Very pet friendly. We had the Moroccan chicken and Seabass. Both were very good and tasty. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timeDanoVIPDined on 3/17/2014First time here. Excellent staff. Had a good time. Slow and no one there. Food OK. Might go back
- This was the second time we'veMelanieDined on 3/15/2014This was the second time we've been there. Food is mediocre and service was good last time but this visit was not. Probably will be going elsewhere next time we stay at Shorebreak.Special Features:
- Great Find!Kathryn1723Dined on 2/23/2014We had brunch here after staying at the hotel the night before. There was no wait and we sat outside on the patio. We had two kids with us and they had a blast playing with all the dogs out on the patio while we enjoyed breakfast. The food was fresh, large portions and very good! I highly recommend.Special Features:
- Relax and eatJenniferDined on 2/17/2014This was our first time in the dining room. We had been in the bar for appetizers and wine previously and knew we wanted to go back. The dining room is unusually modern and relaxed and we enjoyed the special seating which created a very relaxed and easy atmosphere. The food was great---my fish was undercooked and they took care of it right away after explaining that it was a thicker filet than expected and brought me a brand new plate. The waiter was fabulous---again, relaxed but knowledgeable. We felt as though we could have sat there all night. We are going back with two other couples so looking forward to sharing this new "find".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A downtown must for us locals...LyndaLooDined on 2/1/2014If you haven't tried this place, you must! Great food, great drinks, great service, great crowd, great music! I have been to each and every establishment on (and off) Main street so I felt that I had to give this a fair shot, even though it was in the hotel. I'm going back soon and I will continue to recommend this place to everyone. Everything we ordered was incredible. (Had a taste of it all!) Pork chop, scallops, grilled cheese, flat bread, the cocktails, and then the dessert! The service was spot-on by all who waited on our party. Thanks for a great night, see you soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely WonderfulLisafromHBDined on 1/29/2014I brought my daughters out for a nice dinner. Everything from the hostess to our server was exceptional. Thank you for a wonderful dining experience!Special Features:
- Empty on Saturday NightOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/25/2014We had been to Zimzala in the past and it was fairly busy and had really good food. We went this last Saturday night, half the restaurant was empty.Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerbirthdaygirlDined on 12/4/2013I set up the dinner a couple nights before the event. They called me the next day to confirm my reservation which was nice because I needed to add more people and they were very nice about it. When I got to the dinner, the table was set in the back away from other guests so we can be loud and not interrupt anyone else dining there. The table was set, waters were ready. Service was good, not as attentive as I am use to but because it was a birthday dinner she gave us some time to talk. Food was great. It was all brought at the same time. They even brought me a birthday dessert at the end. Love the atmosphere and ambiance of the restaurant. I come here a lot and always know I am going to have a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really slowMindyjoDined on 12/2/2013A large group of us came to Zimzala for a Holiday dinner. We are all on budgets, so we chose the least expensive wine by the caraf. They were out of it, so we chose the next affordable bottle. They were out of that as well. The manager was kind enough to let us order the next price-level up and gave us a discount, which was appreciated, BUT, it took 40 minutes from when we sat down before we were actually served our wine. That was disappointing. The group ended up ordering salads and sharing appetizers. All the food was good - especially the cheese fondue. I would rate the restaurant a bit higher if we hadn't experienced the problem with the wine and the slower service. I would return again, but only for a special occasion, as it is pricey.Special Features:
- Good food, but slose the doors!lapsrusVIPDined on 11/29/2013My wife and I were staying at the Shorebreak Hotel and did not feel like venturing out for dinner. We had heard that Zimzala was good, so made reservations through OpenTable. We were shown a few tables, all by open doors to the cold and windy outdoors. The doors were open to make it easier for the servers to get to the people dining al fresco, under heaters. We weren't under heaters though, as we were indoors. They finally put us by a weak fireplace. Luckily, we had our coats. The food was good. I had a wedge salad, my wife a pear salad. Then we had flatbreads and a sandwich. Very low key, but very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyTamboDined on 11/28/2013Dined here for thanksgiving dinner. The fixed menu was a little limited but offered enough choices. The food was tasty and well presented. It's very convenient located inside the Shorebreak Hotel. Next time we will try the appetizers which looked great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HB TripMikeDined on 11/9/2013Stayed and the Shorebreak hotel and had dinner at Zimzala on Saturday night. Food was good (Australian rack of lamb and prime rib eye) and wait staff was very nice.Special Features:
- good food, easy to find andOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/9/2013good food, easy to find and park. loved the torquise wall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for TouristsSDJoeDined on 11/2/2013Place is great for Tourists, Pretzel Appetizer made me give them a 3 star rating, as it was the best thing we had, and actually ordered two.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoy the eveningEat2rideDined on 10/20/2013Service was efficient, friendly & timely, just enough to anticipate& meet our every need without being the least bit hovering. Very nice. The place is comfortable & welcoming. Food was very good, just not stunning but prices were reasonable. Service & atmosphere did it for us. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A true neighborhood gemSurferandlibrarianVIPDined on 10/14/2013Who would expect living in downtown Huntington Beach to find such a fine restaurant, especially one in a hotel? Most of the many restaurants in town offer ordinary fare, but Zimzala seems to have perfected fine cuisine, great service, reasonable prices and a delightful atmosphere to make a memorable dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprise!LSR2013Dined on 10/1/2013We had setup a surprise birthday dinner for a friend. The waiter was in on it and graciously walked the birthday girl around the restaurant so she wouldn't see the surprise guests. He was excellent to provide good recommendations for food, a knife for our cake, multiple pictures upon request and an overall great demeanor. Thanks for making the surprise a success!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FavesTillyGirlVIPDined on 9/27/2013Their pretzels are Amazing! We have to get them every time we are there for dinner. Their flat bread pizza is great, so is their sweet potato tator tots. We will be back again & again because it's a great place to enjoy great food with our dog.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprise!CeeeCeeeDined on 9/25/2013Never heard of Zimzala. A friend recommended it. The food was phenomenal! Asked the servers for recommendations and they were "right on"! The porkchop was absolutely memorable. Just be sure you are hungry if you order this. I've never seen such a big porkchop. Simply great was the excellent preparation and superb sauce and side dish that came with it. You won't be sorry if you order this, even if you take half of it home! Service was beyond excellent, as well. Only downside is cost of valet parking with no validation. Rather over the top, pricewise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was very good butThomasDined on 9/19/2013The food was very good but the service was very slow. It was a Thursday night and not crowded at all, so unless there was something else going on in the hotel, the slow service didn't make sense. The waiter didn't refill the wine glasses, didn't pay attention to it after the first pour. That, I think, is a training issue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I was drawn to this restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/16/2013I was drawn to this restaurant for the Zagat rating which I found a bit underwhelming. The portions were on the smallish side, and although the grouper was fresh, the accoutrements were lacking. I also found the menu a bit unimaginative. The table outside facing a sliver of the ocean was nice.Special Features:
- MediocreThePRP24Dined on 9/15/2013There's nothing special about this place; the food was ordinary and the service slow. Don't waste you time and money.
- Great Experience at ZimzalaOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/13/2013We previously went to Zimzala for happy hour and had a good experience-- friendly service and good appetizers. So for my wife's birthday we decided to go there for dinner and again were pleased with the experience. For dinner we had Mushroom Frito (tasty thin batter), wedge salad (loved the smoked bacon), wild sea bass (cooked just right), and German chocolate waffle for dessert (great with ice cream). The manager came by several times to make sure all was going well with the food and service. We appreciate the individual attention. Bottomline- Excellent dinner and will go again for the quality and preparation of the food and there are more items on the menu that look unusually interesting. There is a very creative chef in the kitchen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- birthday dinnerMiahDined on 9/9/2013we have dined at Zimzala several times and have enjoyed our experience each time. The food has always been excellent, with several unique choices for entree. On this occasion we took advantage of the great happy hour prices, drinks, and dishes before our entree. We always look forward to the chocolate ganache with sourdough toast - terrific, unusual! combination. The service was also very good with an attentive server who was helpful with our 18 mos. granddaughter. The manager visited our table several times during our meal to be sure all was well; we appreciated this extra attention. We were pleasantly surprised with a complimentary dessert for my husband's birthday. All in all a very nice celebration of his birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time here and very pleased.DiscerningDinerVIPDined on 9/8/2013First time here and very pleased. The surroundings are comfortable and open. The service started out a little slow but improved greatly when I told our server we were kinda in a hurry (which we were). The food was served hot as it should be and everything tasted good. My guest and I are were quite happy with the whole experience. We would definitely recommend and would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is a nice space abovejmf2VIPDined on 9/2/2013This is a nice space above the strand in Huntington Beach...but breakfast/brunch is not their strong suit. Plating is sloppy and the food is pedestrian. They should know better as their lunch/dinner menus are stellar and worth visiting.
- Change the name of the restaurant..KrisninabobinaDined on 8/11/2013The restaurant should change its name to "I'm sorry, we don't do that anymore." No longer serves the bacon Bloody Mary, validates parking, or refills your coffee. Food was over cooked, the only reason we plowed through it so fast was because we had to wait so long to be served. If they are serving a large party or have one of their banquet rooms in use, go elsewhere to eat. You'll be forgotten about.Special Features:
- Tell all your friends!MommamichDined on 7/13/2013This place was recommended to me by a good friend who said the food and ambience was great. I whole heartedly agree!!! I can't wait to go back! We had a little hiccup after they sat us, no one came to greet us for a long time but once they did they did an awesome job!! Offered a free desert for the inconvenience and we will most DEFINATELY be back soon!! Our server's name was Reece and he was the best!! Thanks ZIMZALA!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best experience dining!ChelsAndDanDined on 7/4/2013We loved the food! It was my boyfriends birthday and the 4th of July and they were sooooo great about it all! The waitress and General Manager made sure we were happy the whole time and we were! The view was amazi g and so was the music. We would recommend this place and definitely go back! It was a great mix of new posh bar/ restaurant and great beach bar/restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.