4497 Lookout Rd
Virginia Beach, VA 23455Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://zia-marie.com/
- Phone: 7574600715
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Daily: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Bill Minder
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Delivery, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Zia Marie
Over a decade ago we were inspired to create a restaurant that welcomes, entertains and nourishes our customers the Italian way, like family. Known to the locals as Zia's, this quaint neighborhood restaurant is located just blocks from the Chesapeake Bay, nestled in the heart of Chic's Beach. Specializing in authentic Italian cuisine, the chalkboard menu features an array of flavorful chicken, veal, beef and seafood dishes made with the freshest ingredients. Weekly additions of seasonal fair, featured wines, and homemade desserts bolster more traditional menu selections. Family and friends enjoy casual dining with great food, a well rounded wine list, and specialty martinis at an excellent value. Salute!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Zia Marie - Best Restaurants in Virginia Beach ›
Zia Marie reviews from OpenTable diners
73 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (58)fit for foodies (22)good for groups (17)special occasion (15)notable wine list (12)kid-friendly (11)hot spot (8)romantic (7)vibrant bar scene (5)late-night find (3)great for lunch (3)great for brunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Right on!redbaronDined on 9/13/2014Great food, reasonable price, a neighborhood gem. We were seated exactly at our reservation time even though the place was packed. Not our first time there and the food is always terrific and we always look forward to our next visit. We brought friends with us who had never been there. They were really impressed and said it's hard to find authentic well prepared Italian that rises to this level. Casual, relaxed atmosphere and your not rushed to vacate your table for the next guy. Just a great overall dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Italian Food!!Orangina11Dined on 9/1/2014This is my favorite restaurant in ALL of Hampton roads. They do Italian right. I always get chicken Marsala, because it is truly to die for, but tried something new this time. The stuffed eggplant also blew my mind. They also have the BIGGEST & BEST meatballs around!! You will not be disappointed!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FluxmanDined on 8/31/2014Great food and service. Some will find too noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Zia MarieBchbobDined on 8/28/2014This is one of Virginia Beaches best kept neighborhood secrets. Awesome food and affordable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- highly recomendedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/24/2014Very nice dining experience! Friendly atmosphere, great service, delicious food. Will definitely visit again soon!Special Features:
- local VAB italianOpenTableFarifaxVaVIPDined on 8/22/2014I have a weekend house and have been going to VAB for years but only just found this great place. Some of the issues are real such as the place is quite load but it is a small vibrant Italian restaurant and quite frankly it would be strange if it were quiet. The food was great with the exception of the meat and cheese appetizers. The quality was good but it was just simply salami and cheese cut on bread.The salads and the mains were really good. I went a little off my normal path and had the stuffed egg plant. It was exceptional. I also had some of the white clam linguine and it was terrific. Lots of clams but maybe a little garlic heavy.The place was packed on Friday night and the waitress was on everything and did a really great job.Special Features:
- Awful evening at Zia'sNoNoZiaDined on 8/16/2014We had reservations at 7:15. We arrived a few minutes early and sat at the bar. By 7:30 we were asking the hostess about our table which the inexperienced lady smiled and said only another minute. It was after 7:45 when we were seated. That's over 30 minutes beyond our reservation which is unacceptable. Don't take reservations if you can't honor them! The waitress tossed the silverware wrapped in napkins on the table and ordered us to pass them around. My napkin had a stain on it and the bread was burnt. We didn't eat until almost 9:00. Too many other good restaurants in Virginia Beach with excellent food and really good service. I chose this restaurant to celebrate my birthday with my friends, but that won't happen again.
- vbdinerDined on 8/16/2014Noise level off the charts..could hardly hear our friends across the table. Had to ask for flatware 3X, food came before we got it. Server said it was because they were so busy. Had to ask for drink refills. Redeeming grace...food was delicious. Will probably opt for another restaurat when we want a quieter ambiance in order to carry on a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodGoodVIPDined on 8/16/2014It s a great local spot..food is always good and pretty reasonable. The noise level is LOUD. We were two couples and we could not hear each other because it was so loud. As long as that doesn't bother you.. You will enjoy it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date for DinnerMarkDined on 8/12/2014Though I had heard about Zia Marie's I had neevr been there. I cautiously booked a dinner reservation and was pleansantly surprised. Teh atmosphere was nice, It had a good downhome feel, though as the night rolled on, it definitely got a little loud...not much you can do when the customers are having a good meal and enjoying the atmosphere. I'll defintely Return...Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/7/2014The roasted peppers, Portobello mushrooms, and sopressata and cheese dishes are very good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love Zia MarieOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/1/2014love the food, menu, service, the acoustic are horrible, it could be fixed easly and inexpensive with acoustical wall coveringSpecial Features:
- BeachBumDined on 7/19/2014The food was excellent, as it always is at Zia's. Service was a little off from what we normally experience there. That will not affect us returning in the future, as their food is outstanding. Highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noise level reached a new highfridaynightsDined on 7/18/2014We have been going here for years, because of the food. Although the noise level has always been high, we have stuck it out. That is until last Friday night: the noise level reached a point where it truly became impossible to not only hear my wife sitting right beside me, but made it one of the least enjoyable dining experiences of my life. It's sad that they don't do something about it......... We will not be back!Special Features:
- Great DiningaudreyovbDined on 7/15/2014Very nice atmosphere, food was good, our server was friendlySpecial Features:
- Will Never Go BackJetDirectDined on 7/12/2014Great food. Mediocre service. and absolutely, positively, too loud. I had to nearly scream for people at my table of four to hear me. I will never go back until they get some soundproofing.
- enjoyedchuckVIPDined on 7/12/2014As always the food was excellent and the atmosphere energeticSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would not eat here againOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/11/2014We visited Zia Marie's for my birthday dinner. To make this quick and to the point, we were seated 30 minutes after our reservation. Once were were seated and ordered, our food (order of ravioli and spaghetti) took almost an hour while other tables of 6 and 2 were served before us even though they were seated at least 10/15 minutes after us. No offer for any kind of compensation and then to top it all off I was charged more than the menu price because of the type of sauce I choose. The increased price was not much, its more the principle since at no time was I aware it would cost more.
- Locals love Zia Marie'sSandybaydinerDined on 7/5/2014The food is fantastic and always consistent. We walk to the restaurant along the Chesapeake Bay, which is a real treat. Every time we have out of town guests, we make a trip to Zia's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/5/2014The service was on the slow side but the food was worth the wait.....very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food10sfoodiesDined on 7/4/2014We went here on the Fourth of July. It was great! The food was delicious and it was away from the maddening crowd of tourists at the oceanfront.Special Features:
- loudOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/28/2014Had reservation for 8:30. Waited 20 mins. for table. Very crowded and loud!Special Features:
- Awesome food!!Luv2EatnrunDined on 6/27/2014Food, service and wine selection are fabulous!! Noise level is my only complaint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Night OutGreggDined on 6/26/2014Great spot for a night out or just a chance for an excellent meal. We have been coming here for great Italian food for years and never have been disappointed .Special Features:
- Great Italian FoodFoodieDined on 6/15/2014I took my husband to Zia Marie for Fathers Day because of the reviews on Open Table. I had never heard of it before. Zia Marie is snuggled in a residential area, a block from the ocean. It was wonderful. The wait staff made you feel right at home. The food is amazing. Huge plate of Mussels and Sossaprata with Asiago cheese for an appetizer. Incredible. The marsala sauce was the best he has ever tasted. I felt I was on Mott Street in NY during the Italian Festival. Manga.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special occassion?OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/13/2014The food was very good and the waitress was excellent. However, they gave away our reserved table and We had to wait 45minutes on a night that was supposed to be very special for my high school graduate. The restaurant should have handled this alot better. It will be a long time before we go back to this restaurant. It was also very very loud and we couldn't here people at our table speaking.Special Features:
- Zia Marie is a Local TreasureFirstTimeDinerDined on 6/7/2014A friend recommended Zia Marie a long time ago and I finally dined there June 7, 2014, with my family. We had reservations so we were seated right away and we noticed the restaurant was a bit noisy, but the food definitely made up for the din. Our party of 7 each chose a different entree and they did not disappoint. The four appetizers we chose were also excellent and they were enjoyed right away. Overall, expectations were met and definitely impressed upon me to come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousCarpinoDined on 5/31/2014This is a great restaurant for authentic Italian foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great MealPopcornQueenDined on 5/25/2014We had a wonderful meal at Zia Marie-- One of us had the stuffed eggplant-- AMAZING! We would DEFINITELY go back! It was the great top-off to a wonderful weekend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but bar airconAburelVIPDined on 5/24/2014Great food, tasty and good looking. Disappointed a bit on the service and air conditioning... Too cold and too strong ... And if we asked for a different table was not possible... Weird... But tasty food.Special Features:
- The following 174 reviews are from the Zia Marie reviews archive.
- Lovely eveningMbordelonDined on 5/16/2014We had a very nice "birthday" meal - three couples. It was good food (yummy mahi with a fresh, light mango salsa), nice wine selection, casual and well paced meal. And when our server learned it was someone's birthday, she brought out one of the desserts with a birthday candle in it. The cannoli's and cheese cake were delicious! Thanks for a nice, relaxed evening.Special Features:
- FamilyFood4meVIPDined on 5/11/2014Food was good and many Italian options. Good size portions could actually order a few entrees and serve family style if desired. Family friend but too loud to have a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love Zia Marie...DZMconstrDined on 5/11/2014A local's favorite and one of our favorites. Expect great food at a great price and an energetic staff and atmosphere. Don't expect privacy or romantic quite dinner for two - it's not large, and it's a bit crowded so you will have company close by. Overall though well worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible waitress but great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/1/2014I have dined here before and it was always great, so I figured it would be a good quaint place with delicious food for a first date. The only good part was food and wine, once they finally arrived. The waitress was so spaced out. took 30 plus minutes to get our water and it wasn't even busy, Then we ordered apps and food and as we wait for our appetizer she asks if we want to order our meals , tho she has already taken our order!!! And still no water, just the wine on the table. Finally the water and appetizers arrived and it was smooth sailing. Delicious food , tho I did check my togo box to make sure she bagged the right meal :)Special Features:
- Another great dinner at Zia Marie's1HungryGuyDined on 4/30/2014Our son was visiting from LA and we wanted to take him somewhere unique.We had an early reservation, received a friendly greeting at the door, and were seated immediately. The service was excellent, the food was wonderful, and the owner stopped by for a short visit at our table. Lookout Road is not Wilshire Boulevard, but we had a great meal and a great time at Zia Marie's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/25/2014First time at Zia Marie's, but not the last! We came here for a change of pace. We had looked at the reviews and decided on the goat cheese and roasted garlic appetizer - Do It! Ordered off the special menu and the chalk board. One stuffed egg plant, one clams and linguiniand one seafood stuffed shells. Topped with a cannoli. Excellent dinner! Very nice wines. Wonderful, attentive service! A bit noisy, but not awful.Special Features:
- Fun local favoriteoceanparkDined on 4/12/2014Favorite Local secret. Service was great. Food was yummy.Special Features:
- great way to celebrate mybbg43Dined on 4/5/2014great way to celebrate my mom's 85th birthday! there were 7 1/2 of us, and even though were 30 min late for our reservation, they sat us immediately ( some restaurants will give up your table and make u wait) only one thing unrelated to food...hot water in bathroom needs to be adjusted...my 4 year old and I almost burned ourselves- just by barely turning on the hot water and it was scalding -hot water heaters usually have a setting! thank uSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the visit.FreddieBDined on 3/30/2014Haven't been to Zia Marie's in over a year and found that the food is as good as ever. My date was impressed (which worked for me) and we will definitely return. Like the idea of the menu on the chalk board - and it is not a huge menu (great). Also thought the prices were very reasonable. Well worth a return visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatLovethisplaceDined on 3/29/2014The go to place for 10 years. Veal saltimboca and roasted garlic goat cheese is the star of the show. Went here on our first date and this trip was 10 years later with 3 kids.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.