303 S.W. 12th Ave.
Portland, OR 97205Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.mcmenamins.com/1622-zeus-caf-at-crystal
- Phone: (503) 384-2500
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast & Brunch: Daily: 7:00am-2:30pm
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am-5:30pm
Dinner: 5:30pm-10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm-10:00pm, Sunday: 5:30pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Northwest, Contemporary American, Pizzeria
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live Music seven nights a week in our cellar bar (Al's Den)
A word from Zeus Cafe
The menus feature local ingredients, house-baked breads, desserts and pastries, a specialty cocktail menu and an affordable yet approachable wine list, while a well-trained waitstaff provides a comfortable and welcoming guest experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Zeus Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
20 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (13)great for brunch (11)neighborhood gem (9)great for outdoor dining (8)great for lunch (7)good for groups (3)notable wine list (2)special occasion (2)kid-friendly (2)hot spot (1)late-night find (1)romantic (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Don't overlook this place.AuntNellieDined on 11/22/2014Great food and friendly service with sidewalk scenes unfolding outside the enormous windows. Locally-sourced, thoughtfully prepared and presented seasonal entrees, outstanding craft cocktails and a satisfying happy hour menu to boot (veggie tempura with a minty vietnamese sauce was the big hit, but truffle fries a close second). Chinook salmon was perfectly prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently Excellent!PNWTripperDined on 10/18/2014This was our third visit. We introduced our 6-friends this time. No one was disappointed with their varied beers or meals. It was unanimous, the bacon-brittle ice cream is to-die-for wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very happy with the experenceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/3/2014Than you for the great food and the waiter was fabo!Special Features:
- The following 21 reviews are from the Zeus Cafe reviews archive.
- Good group lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/3/2014Great find for work group lunch. Food tasted great, beers were smooth, and table service was fast and prompt. Serving sizes were a bit meager for the price point ... would've loved a more robust salad and breakfast servings.Special Features:
- Well crafted foodNancyDined on 6/22/2014My husband has perfected pizza and theirs is the best I've ever eaten. Had the Marguerite pizza. My husband had the bison burger which was juicy and good. The wines by the glass are from their winery and not as full bodied as I like. The waiter, Steve, was knowledgeable about the menu and attentive. I highly recommend this resturant. I paid the bill and was surprised at how modest the total was for four of us with wine and beer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner, bar and breakfastboysngalsDined on 5/16/2014We had dinner and then breakfast the following morning. Nice dinner menu. Starting salads excellent with tasty dressings. Main course was halibut with quinoa salad, chickpea, and harissa vinaigrette - good but portion size of chickpeas too large for one person, and pork chop, spatzle, fava beans, spring onions and rhubarb compote - both high quality and good flavors. Zeus trifle shared between two was wicked and delicious. After show, bar had nice, relaxing, atmosphere and good selections including edgefield beers and spirits. Breakfast the following morning excellent - very tasty and original dishes; would also work well for brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- our new favorite placeyummyDined on 4/29/2014Our table of six women, three off whom do not like French fries, ate a scandalous amount of truffle fries. I eat here regularly with my husband for Sunday brunch and happy hour. Their burger is not your regular McMenamins burger, it is simply divine. Yummy cocktails, too :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JamesDined on 4/27/2014We found the food at Zeus Café excellent and the service friendly and attentive. It made a wonderful venue both pre and post theater. We will definitely return.Special Features:
- Upscale McMenamins surf andBnS503Dined on 4/12/2014Upscale McMenamins surf and turf. My wife loved the burger she got and I had some trout that was very good. Great pre-game location for Timber's fans.Special Features:
- The ZeusHiven100Dined on 3/29/2014My wife and I throughly enjoyed the.time at the.Zeus Cafe, we got McMin Passport stamps, my wife had the drink special, I had my usual Manhattan. We then split a green salad, Grilled Sockeye Salmon fillet and the for desert my wife chose the Vegan Chocolate Torte I had a cappocino to top it it off and we left both with smiles and glad we made the Res prior to the show at the crystal ballroom.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Farm-to-table to pub grubOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/29/2014My second visit to Zeus Cafe confirms that this is a solid winner! The first time, we enjoyed sandwiches and burgers, and the second, wood-grilled fish and pizza -- a nice combination of fresh-tasting local fish and veggies with notch-above pub sandwiches and snacks. The menu has something for everyone. Zeus also offers its own brewery's McMenamin's beers, plus an extensive wine list featuring local favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambiance-wondeful serviceFortheloveofjackDined on 3/28/2014Loved this place...it's comfortable and nice at the same time. The food is great--really top notch and I am a vegetarian and I went there with fish and meat eaters and we all loved what we got. The trout was WONDERFUL I am told. The trout salad too. I had the veggie entree--baked squash--YUM...and a salad YUM. It's such a cool place-- the decor is kind of casual bar meets art nouveau...I loved it. Noise level was perfect--energetic but not loud. We had great conversation and fabulous cocktails. Highly recommend if you are in Portland!!!!Special Features:
- Welcoming staff, good food!curwenVIPDined on 3/13/2014For the first time this month we had the fixed price menu (part of Portland's Dining Month of March) and it was excellent. The maitre (also the barman) was welcoming and friendly (it probably helped that we were early, on our way to the theater) and chatty, good beer - what else to expect from a McMenamins pub - a very pleasant meal. My only carp - and its not a big one - is that the pub designers seem to like this round-the-walls layout for their bars; it gives a very corridor-feel to the place. That said, we'll certainly go to Zeus again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Setting & Delicious FoodRisaDined on 2/26/2014I had a great experience at Zeus's Cafe! The waitress (Amanda, I believe!) was prompt, so sweet and even offered me coffee to go! She really went the extra mile to see that I was happy, well-fed, and properly caffeinated! The large windows made people watching so much fun. Location is great, close to many other fun activities. I plan on going back there next time I'm in Portland!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendlyjump2dayDined on 2/23/2014The waiter was friendly and attentive. The experience was so worth the short walk from DeLuxe Hotel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great time at dinner!MattDined on 2/14/2014Valenties evening dinner was great, Romantic, fun. Foods was wonderful the only thing we thought was there were so many tables empty but they were turning so many people away, just surprising to us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was just Fine.wonderwindypdxVIPDined on 2/14/2014We were happy to have some place to go since we failed to reserve a table in a timely manner for Valentine's Day but the food was just ok. The service was great, drinks came quickly, but in the end it was nothing to be excited about. Won't be back.
- Good Food in a historical placejimandjohnpdxVIPDined on 2/4/2014The Zeus Cafe is a good place to go for a good substantial meal at a very fair price. After our Bombay Sapphire Martinis, I enjoyed a delicious Petale Sole dish and my husband a great Grilled Trout. Another reason to patronize the Zeus is to thank the McMenamin brothers for the many properties they have restored and saved from the wrecking ball. You can count on consistently good comfort food, good drinks in a lovely restored building at many of their establishments in the Portland area. We will always stop and eat at any McMenamin owned restaurant because we know we will never be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good good, limited menu optionsJae97239VIPDined on 1/4/2014Of you remove the pizza and burgers options then there are basically 2 fish, 1 beef, 1 pork and a duck option. Tasty but listed. Service was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- typical mcmenaminsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/29/2013I was very frustrated by the hour wait for our food, but the automatic 18% grat. put me over the top.
- 2nd yr for our annivannivDined on 12/13/2013This is our 2nd time here for an anniversary celebrations. Whereas many McMenammins restaurants are inconsistnet in their delivery, Zeus always delivers amazaingly deliciouis food. Svc was amazing too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Treated like royaltythenewenglanderDined on 11/28/2013Zeus Cafe balances an ambiance of casual dining with fine food. The atmosphere is quiet, comforting, and welcoming. No pretense here - just quality food prepared and delivered by professional and courteous staff. We had a fine time and truly enjoyed our experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pre concert restaurantFelixDined on 11/4/2013Often go here when seeing a show at the Crystal Ballroom. Always surprised at the quality of the food and the reasonable price. Food is often locally sourced. Food is prepared very well, service is friendly, and the atmosphere lively. Great for pre-concert. Recently had a bacon apple sandwich, tomato soup, and tuna salad. Perfectly seasoned, not heavy on salt, tuna seemed fresh and lightly seared. Often eat at more spendy places, but this was as good as it gets and nicely priced.Special Features:
- Zeus CafeFineDinerDined on 8/11/2013Don't let the name "Cafe" fool you. Zeus Cafe is a big restaurant on the ground floor of the Crystal Hotel building in Downtown Portland. An aficionado of the fine dining experience myself, I was overjoyed to find a McMenamin's theme restaurant, the only one of which I know that apparently and quite accurately combines the casual "everybody's welcome" feel of a McMenamin's with the fine dining atmosphere and food quality of a classy downtown Portland dining experience. More than 4 quality chefs. More than 4 quality servers. A wonderful main host. Therefore it is no surprise that Zeus Cafe tops highly on my list of favorite restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.