Zest - Water Beach Club Hotel
2 Tartak Street
San Juan, PR 00979Neighborhood:
Puerto RicanPrice: $30 and under
Zest - Water Beach Club Hotel
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.waterbeachhotel.com/zest.php
- Phone: (787) 728-3666
- Hours of Operation:
open daily 6pm-10pm Friday and Saturday 6pm-11pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Puerto Rican, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Raul Correa
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Wine
- Special Events: After dinner you can enjoy our famous rooftop lounge MIst.
A word from Zest - Water Beach Club Hotel
Welcome to Zest, an avant-garde culinary experience that takes you beneath the waves with special visual effects including dancing ripples on the walls, an ocean surface simulation on the ceiling, illuminated floors, and a cascading waterfall by the bar. Zest, located on the hotel's lobby level, welcomes guests with an amazing sub-aquatic atmosphere and "modern-latino cuisine" menu featuring sustainability-sourced ingredients. A feast for all senses, Executive Chef Raul Correa, has a unique style of cooking which embraces sensory & food science, as he infuses each dish with a distinct scent meant to stimulate every sense. It’s local, it’s innovative, and it’s absolutely delicious.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Zest - Water Beach Club Hotel reviews from OpenTable diners
11 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (7)neighborhood gem (5)special occasion (5)romantic (4)hot spot (3)good for groups (3)late-night find (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Manhattan in San JuanfoodeDined on 11/3/2014What a gem within walking distance of the Ritz Carlton. The food was creative and the Glazed sea bass brought back memories of nobu. My lamb empanadas had flavors of India. Service was friendly and our waitress shalom was informative. The manager spent time with our table making us feel specialSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ImpressedJaggflyDined on 11/3/2014A small, trendy spot in a small, trendy hotel. Our waiter, Edgardo, was engaging without overbearing and seemed genuinely enthusiastic about the menu, but as the evening went on he seemed increasingly stretched among his various tables. We were impressed by seasonal, expertly cooked dishes with great Puerto Rican inspiration, like the scallops ceviche, snapper with mofongo and the sea bass. The beautiful dishes offer a delicate interplay of tastes and textures, but if you like to describe your meals as hearty, you will probably come up short. Pricing is still slightly too high for a restaurant of this caliber.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!Foodie123VIPDined on 10/25/2014Zest was a wonderful experience. Each dish was amazing. We had the popcorn soup (a must have), empanadas, pork cheek, arroz con pollo, and doughnuts and pistachio financier for dessert. Highly recommend all these dishes. Service was impeccable. Thanks Valerie! (Shout out to the second Valerie at the front!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fallen AngelOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 10/9/2014We've eaten here many times over the years, but noticed over the past two visits that it has declined. Service went missing the entire evening even though there were only a few tables occupied. Had to get up and find them three times during the evening. Food is just not what it used to be. Both our entrees were just plan bad. Unfortunately, best thing about the restaurant is having a drink before dinner on the rooftop bar with great views of Isle Verde.
- Amazing food!!ScuevaaDined on 8/23/2014I went for a Bridal Shower, a group for 8, and it was perfect! The chef took the time to come to the table and he made everything beautiful and yummy!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Zesty!enoel12Dined on 7/28/2014My husband and I went here on our honeymoon. Servers were very attentive and helpful. The food overall was quite good - it is experimental though so if you're looking for a simple meat-and-potatos meal this is not the place for you. We were feeling adventurous and enjoyed trying something new. We had the ceasar salad and popcorn soup to start - both were delicious. The popcorn soup is definitely kind of "out there" but really yummy. We then had the sea bass and pork cheeks for entrees. Sea bass was perfectly cooked and really yummy piece of fish, but the eggplant foam on the side was just ok. The pork cheeks were SO GOOD. Desserts were yummy as well. The ambiance is funky and nightclub-esque, fun for a date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/26/2014Valerie was a very competent server happy to tell us all about the menus specialties. Personable and made the dinner special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 81 reviews are from the Zest - Water Beach Club Hotel reviews archive.
- FantasticNortheasterndadDined on 7/23/2014My family and I booked via open table and we were amazed. The food was incredible. Our server (Valerie I believe) was very knowledgeable and the service was first rate. The appetizers were incredible expecially the clam chowder croquettes. All of the entrees were great but a real standout was the fettucini with truffles, crab etc. Amazing. Pricing was fair for the area (resorts) Five starsSpecial Features:
- Awesome from start to finishOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/4/2014Food was amazing, wait staff was terrific . Couldn't ask for better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomekevinprDined on 6/7/2014Food was very interesting. Service was great. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- DannyDined on 6/1/2014Excellent food, outstanding service and great spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodNolelanderDined on 5/30/2014Great food and a cool vibe. Don't miss the rooftop bar after dinner for a fantastic view.Special Features:
- Fab findBeaWNYDined on 5/16/2014The staff was wonderful and not overbearing. The food was superb...very fresh and carefully prepared. Presentation was unique. All diners near me were very pleased with their selections. Check out the rooftop bar after dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing !!!DreamteamprDined on 5/16/2014Oustanding !!!! Creative fusions, great taste , presentation ! Perfect , Top three Restaurant in PR, bucket listSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good findOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/9/2014I appreciate the vegetarian options. The grilled watermelon was too large for an appetizer. The cous cous was great. The variety of the menu will encourage all to try this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in San JuanTastingTravelDined on 5/2/2014Our server, Edgar, was wonderful - prompt, informative, and polite. The food arrived quickly and was the best meal I had in San Juan. All meals in my 4-person party were prepared to perfection. The atmosphere is modern (Parallels Miami) yet comfortable. I highly recommend this restaurant to foodies, tourists, and everyone in between. ¡Buen provecho!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative chef!YolyVargasDined on 4/26/2014Loved our dinner at Zest! Everyone enjoyed their very creative meals. Good atmosphere and ambiance. Go up to their top terrace to also enjoy their sister restaurant Mist! Try the arroz con pollo! Delicious!Special Features:
- Fabulously DeliciousNionene69VIPDined on 4/20/2014Wee stayed at the San Juan Water Beach Club during our stay in Puerto Rico. We ate breakfast there one morning and dinner there two evenings. The menu has a little bit of everything. Land to sea it's all an option. Every dish we tasted was yummy. From the grilled pulpo appetizer to the red snapper to the pork cheeks to the lobster tail. Everything was perfectly prepared. The wine menu has a lot of choices also. The staff in the restaurant were also very attentive and catered to our needs expeditiously. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great innovative cuisine!erich48VIPDined on 4/18/2014What a great find! We were just in San Juan for the night staying ½ mile from this place. It is situated in the Waterfront Beach Club Hotel, but is not your standard hotel restaurant. The food was very innovative, but most importantly delicious. My wife and I shared the popcorn soup, served in a brandy snifter, with a wonderful warm rich soup poured over what I think was whipped cream - very decadent. I followed this with the "Pulpo" and the short ribs - both very tasty and beautifully presented. A small but interesting wine selection provided enough variety to match the meal. Will return on our next visit to San Juan.Special Features:
- Nice findSheriTDined on 4/14/2014The restaurant itself was a little hard to find....for the GPS. We found it on Open Table the reviews looked good, it was close to where we were staying so we decided to give it a try. The reviews RAVED about the popcorn soup....I wouldn't get it again. It wasn't bad...definitely different but way to salty for me (I know-popcorn). It has the sweet/salty thing going on with hot liquid on the bottom and cooler "cream on top". We were told to tip the vessel and "mix". We had the fish which was tasty but the portions are very small for the $$ with no salad or side.Special Features:
- Too much salt!Jean24VIPDined on 4/6/2014We had a dinner there on a Sunday night at 9pm and the restaurant was dead. We were the only patrons. There was seven of us and we decided to order a bunch of dishes to share. The popcorn soup was good but really rich. The best dishes were the ceviche and the seabass. We ordered a seafood pagao and it was soooooo salty!! The bowl was small and after all seven of us tried it, there was still over half of it left. Then everything else we ordered was pretty mediocre.Special Features:
- This restaurant is absolutelyKristiDined on 4/5/2014This restaurant is absolutely amazing. It is visually beautiful and the staff is very friendly and professional. But the food is some of the best you will find anywhere. It is creative and beautiful, not fitting in anyone's box. The chef, Raul Correa. is a master of his art; and a lovely person to boot. I enjoyed every bit of my experience here. You MUST have the Popcorn soup and the Sea bass, but everything else I tasted was great as well. The layering of flavors is unparalleled. It is universal food with a Puerto Rican flare. I PROMISE you will enjoy. And go ahead and order ALL of the desserts; It will be made tableside by one of the chefs and is not just visually stunning, but absolutely delicious. And they will pair your wine too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extremely pleasedChatVIPDined on 3/29/2014We were delighted to dine at Zest. It's one of the most creative dinners we've ever had. Popcorn soup is a must. Sea bass and pork cheeks were excellent entrees. And the goat cheesecake in mango soup is not overwhelming. Service was efficient and very friendly. What a wonderful experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Food with Local Flair!MaverickVIPDined on 3/24/2014We ate twice at Zest during our recent 5-night stay in the Isla Verde neighborhood. After a delightful first meal, we chose to return for our anniversary dinner three nights later. The food was excellent, featuring strong local influence but excellent and imaginative preparation and presentation. The service was impeccable, and the atmosphere pleasant. Prices were reasonable for high-caliber dining. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must Try the Popcorn Soup!!!Kirsten527VIPDined on 3/24/2014This place is amazing, especially if you happen to be a vegetarian since vegetarian food is hard to come by in Puerto Rico. This place has both a non-vegetarian and a vegetarian menu so everyone can find something. The popcorn soup with truffle powder is seriously the best thing I've ever eaten in my entire life. The presentation of it is just as amazing. I went to Zest two nights in a row because the soup was that good and I wanted more. I would come back to San Juan just to have it again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet and amazing serviceCHI012VIPDined on 3/16/2014Amazing food - very creative. Staff was very friendly and accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Hotel RestaurantStistVIPDined on 3/14/2014A hip, trendy restuarant in a cool San Juan hotel. Good service, excellent coktails and good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodMatosDined on 3/14/2014Great restaurant in San Juan if you are not looking for typical Spanish food. The Chef takes traditional dishes and changes them to another level without taking out the flavors of Puerto Rico. A bit expensive, but if you are looking for a nice night out this is the place to go. Drinks are awesome!! Afterwards go upstairs to their rooftop lounge for music, dancing and a great view of San Juan at night.. Restaurant is inside of the Water Beach Club Hotel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rated #1 in Isla Verde for a REasonsrk49VIPDined on 3/14/2014We all had tasting menus (portion sizes are full size/not tasting menu size) so come HUNGRY. The seafood was perfectly cooked with wonderful flavor profiles. The donuts and lava cake to end the meal to die for. The service excellent. Eat here every time we are in Puerto Rico
- Go HereToughGraderVIPDined on 3/5/2014I highly recommend this restaurant. The food was unique, very flavorful and presented beautifully. The service was first rate. Our server, Argelia, was excellent - she knew the food and made spot-on recommendations. I look forward to a return visit next time I am in San Juan. The place has a bit of an odd-ball look, but it grows on you. Do yourself a favor and go there for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was a horrible restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 3/2/2014This was a horrible restaurant. The fod was very poor quality and awful taste. Very bland. I ordered the carbonara and it had no flavor. They then brought pork cheeks and again al I tasted was smoke flavored sauce. Please take them off open table as a destination.
- stylish and goodvanderfoodVIPDined on 3/2/2014very modern look, effective service and elegant dining. main dishes were all good from a diverse menu selection (incl vegetarian). appropriate wine list. deserts were fine, but less interesting than main dishes and appetizers. decor is hip and felt like a place in Miami, with many younger (affluent) patrons. valet parking after validation is nice touch for an out of the way location near San Juan.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyHappyDined on 2/24/2014I really enjoyed dinner. Sea bass was really very tasty! Snapper also really good, HOWEVER I though portion size was small the Caesar salad was way too small. You got to this type of restaraunt and expect an expensive meal but you don't want to leave hungry....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mealOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/23/2014Not the greatest locations, but the food was incredible. My wife had the sea bass and I had the pork cheeks. Both highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodie Wanabee BustAnonymousVIPDined on 2/22/2014Everything in the place from the decor to the service to the food, tries to create the impression that thisus a gem for today's foodie culture. Unfortunately, it falls short on all levels. The decor is pretentious and done on "the cheap", the service is friendly but deadly slow and staffed w/young people that genuinely know little about food and wine, and the food is loaded with lots of different ingredients that mostly don't work well together--a senseless mixture of flavors, often over-flavored (too salty or too bland), plated pretentiously w/second tier quality ingredients.
- Poor Service....long wait time...IllaVIPDined on 2/18/2014Was not impressed at all! Met some friends for dinner having had the hotel in San Juan recommend the restaurant. Once we ordered a glass of wine....we were never asked again if we would like another.?? Explained to our server that one of the guests was having two appetizers for their dinner so to bring it with the other entrees. Of course, the two appetizers came out first. Had to physically find the server to explain the problem. One of the appetizers was cold so it just sat there, the other was taken back, When finally the food arrived, the hot appetizer was overcooked. Ugh!!! A fairly lousy night out!!. Never going back there again. Too many really good restaurants in San Juan area.
- RomanticNormanFoodieDined on 2/16/2014Great special date restaurant or perfect or a great daySpecial Features:
- The Best dinner spot in Isla VerdePennyVIPDined on 2/16/2014Wow! Our dinner was spectacular ... from the ambience through the dessert! Every moment in Zest was to be remembered. The food was outstanding and really, really invent. I recommend the tuna tartare starter and the sea bass main course. You will be wowed and want to lick the plate. Zest is a MUST GO!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Pick!!!dpiece25Dined on 2/10/2014Some of the best food I have ever had! Everything was amazing! I especially loved the casear salad. I loved the ambience and felt like I was under water...in a good way. The service was fantastic! I would reccommend this resturant to anyone going to PR.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding seafood and ambienceHetalVIPDined on 2/9/2014The ambience was beautiful chic as soon as u walk into the front door of the hotel. Very chic and modern look and feel. That was just the beginning! I had the snapper which was great. My wife had the sea bass which was out of thos world! I could not wait to polish off her plate when she was done and i usually dont like sea bass. The eggplant puree sauce was amazing! If i had another night in puerto rico, then i would have went back for more sea bass!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.