Zephyr Grill and Bar
1736 First Street
Livermore, CA 94550Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Zephyr Grill and Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.zephyrgrill.com/
- Phone: 9259611000
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Daily: 11:00am-3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 3:00pm-10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 3:00pm - 11:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Nick Musser
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our Vintage Room can accommodate up to 45 guests for a buffet menu, 60 guests for a seated menu and 75 guests for a standing reception.
- Private Party Contact: Lynn Tei 9254185668
A word from Zephyr Grill and Bar
Uniquely inviting with an "aroused Americana" presentations, Zephyr Grill and Bar invites you to sample creations by Executive Chef Nick Musser. Atmosphere, warmth and hospitality that will soon become a Livermore Valley icon.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Zephyr Grill and Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
114 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (54)fit for foodies (44)notable wine list (43)special occasion (41)great for outdoor dining (34)good for groups (32)great for lunch (32)romantic (26)vibrant bar scene (22)hot spot (17)great for brunch (13)kid-friendly (10)late-night find (9)scenic view (1)Show More
- 62goodfood62goodfoodDined on 10/28/2014Wonderful service and great ambience. Food was enough and server was friendly and prompt. Brought us water without having to ask. Refills were offered regularly. Food was served in time to enjoy our meal and hostess was quick to seat us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good RestaurantFABULOUSVIPDined on 10/26/2014This restaurant is a sleeper. Haven't been for dinner but dined for lunch on several occasions. Waitstaff are excellent and they all are very friendly. It is definitely good for a return visit and this time perhaps for dinner.Special Features:
- Great place for foodiesmmcampiVIPDined on 10/21/2014Always enjoy this restaurant gem. Would like to keep it a secret in a growing community. Good food, good drinks, and great atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- didi1937Dined on 10/2/2014Very good food and service. Would recommend to everyone. Definitely will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Zepher still one of the bestFLquilterTravelDined on 9/29/2014Zephyr restaurant in Livermore CA has great food, great wines and wonderful atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terribly DisappointingDavidFJacksonDined on 9/28/2014This is the second straight visit to Zephyr that left us bewildered. Slow service -- repeatedly. It took forever for our server to visit us, then forever for our drinks, then forever for our refills, then forever for our meals, then forever for dessert and our check. We both ordered medium-rare filet mignon; both arrived at well done, to the point of dryness. I sat for nearly ten minutes with an empty wine glass before I caught the hostess and asked her to find our server. This was a special occasion, ruined by having to sit through more than two hours at the table. We had dined at Zephyr numerous times over the years ... this was our second consecutive poor experience.
- Good concept, bad executionScuterlynnDined on 9/27/2014The good: Lamb Bruschetta, excellent flavors. Bacon wrapped meatloaf-great grind on meat, a little too much sauce which started to taste like BBQ sauce. The highlight, out waitress was prompt, when not hindered by the kitchen, funny and accommodating. The Bad: Spinach without flavor, texture or composition. Think frozen Birds-Eye, on a good day. By 8pm had run out of bread (baking when there, ultimately received just prior to meal) and mashed potatoes. Blue cheese tenderloin fatty and not tender. Crab cakes are mealy, over processed and but for the flavor of crab you won't find any lumps of crab anywhere. No texture or substance also did not have good seasoning. Word is new chef with new ideas. May go back and give him a chance.
- Great food and servicelovefoodandwineDined on 9/27/2014I'm in love with braized short rib and Zephyr knows how to do it right. While my company was the highlight of my night, I thouroughly enjoyed the waitress (Jill). She did an excellent job. I'll be back for sure.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/24/2014Great place for special occasions, romantic dinner, larger groups and also for private business meetingsSpecial Features:
- Great Meal!foodie215VIPDined on 9/21/2014This is the second time we have been here and it was just as good. They have great food and a great cocktail list. Service is awesome as well. Will definitely come back again!Special Features:
- Poor service overshadows experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/21/2014We have been to Zephyrs Grill and Bar many time to celebrate occasions as well as just enjoying an evening out. Each time we have been very happy with our meals and the atmosphere. An added bonus is their "no corking fee" for a local Livermore bottle of wine brought in. However, on our latest visit, we were very disappointed by the poor service. Quite frankly, the poor service by our waitress overshadowed our whole experience of good food and atmosphere. She supposedly has been there for 10 years, her words, but her service was lacking terribly. She was not attentive, took a long time to take our order-we had to flag her down to order, and she never came back to see if we needed anything else or to check how our meals were.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Longtime favoritegolf2eatDined on 9/21/2014I met a long time friend there for lunch on Sunday. We often go there as the location is half way for each of us. The waitress, who we have had before is great. I find the food good and regardless of what is ordered it is prepared well and tasty. I'll be back!Special Features:
- Poor choicevhonodelDined on 9/7/2014I had such high hopes for this place. We took our mother their on a Sunday night for a nice Birthday dinner. Service started out great. I thought, wow, we made a really good choice. My husbands salad came, and after his first bite he said, " This tastes like chocolate" To our horror the back of his fork was caked in chocolate frosting! No!!. Our server apologized and brought a new fork. Meals were ok. Both fish dishes were dry. for the finale...The server informs us that their is a birthday surprise for mom. Brings out a nice little dessert with a candle and then she leaves. We proceed to all sit their and watch mom eat her small dessert. No desert menus for us, no coffee offered??? Mom sure would have liked a cup of coffee after dinner.
- good food with excellent servicekathypDined on 8/30/2014when making our reservation online, in the comments section I mentioned it was our anniversary. I called the restaurant before leaving the house and asked for an outdoor table. When the girl looked up our reservation she wished me a happy anniversary. Again when we checked in we were wished happy anniversary and then again by our server. We both enjoyed our meals and our food arrived promptly. We ate outside since it was a nice evening. The only recommendation would be that they pipe music to the outdoor space. It would help with the ambiance.Special Features:
- Birthday Celebration!foodiegirlDined on 8/25/2014I was taking a friend of mine to lunch for her birthday. The waitresses and hostess were very attentive and informed. We were not pressured to finish our food soon and were able to relax and have a nice lunch. Thank you to Zephyr and the staff for such an enjoyable day!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehGeckogirlVIPDined on 8/23/2014Service was spotty. It took 20 minutes to bring our salads, entrees arrived about 5 minutes after we finally received the salads. Wedge salad arrived liberally covered with hazelnuts despite a request to hold them. Second round of drinks arrived 5 minutes before our check. Food was just ok. The molasses barbecue sauce on the meatloaf was overwhelming and the potato crusted halibut had no flavor at all. We won't be going back.
- Enjoyable EveningCheryl09Dined on 8/16/2014Food was good but service was a little slow. Our waitress was busy. It was hard to get second round of drinks but she was very pleasant. We enjoyed dinner.Special Features:
- Livermore dinner surpriseMItsiDined on 8/16/2014We were in the area on business and needed to find a place for dinner. I found Zephet Grill on OpenTable. It was not in the busiest part of town, but was just as active inside. The food and service were great. We will eat there again whenever we are in the Livermore area. ... A nice find!Special Features:
- Friendly AtmosphereCookDined on 8/16/2014We have always enjoyed the food for dinner and the Happy Hour Menu. The staff goes above and beyond with making you feel welcome and special. Having a full bar is also a plus!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Service, Wine? - Yuk !WineLoverDined on 8/15/2014They've been strong-armed into embedding Livermore Winery offerings, YUK. Or, you can pay $15 if you bring own wine. It's enough reason to take them off a short list, but otherwise a solid choice. It seems Livermore wants to chase away wine drinkers, or have them order more cocktails - a good reason to drive up 680 for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, great bar area.BritalianDined on 8/14/2014I'd call it a trendy place. I always enjoy the food here and you can sit outside on a warm night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time hereReaderDined on 8/13/2014We really liked the selection of local wines. The food was beautifully presented, just not as flavorful as I would have liked.Special Features:
- 35th AnniversaryNASCARDAD71Dined on 8/12/2014I wanted to take my wife out for a 35th Anniversary dinner and picked the Zephyr as the place to go. I made reservations through OpenTable and thought our experience would be good. We were sat at the worst table in the restaurant. It was a 2 person table right next to the waiter station. The waiters and waitresses were coming and go constantly. We felt like we were an after thought. We have experienced this at many restaurants when we have made reservations. We would have stayed for desert but not siting at that table. Bottom line is, we were not impressed and it will be a long time before we go back. Also I would like to add if you wear hearing aids I would not recommend the Zephyr if you want to hear any conversations.
- Disappointing with the foodLuv2eatVIPDined on 8/10/2014We have been to Zephyr numerous times since they opened, for lunch & dinner both. We have always enjoyed the food and sometimes the service. It's a lot easier to stay local than to drive to S.F. We felt that Zephyr was the #2 Livermore restaurant just below Wente. However, we were very disappointed with the food this time.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014The food and service were excellent! Our waitress was amazing and everyone was really friendly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the moneylivermoreDined on 8/9/2014I wouldn't recommend this restaurant, there are other restaurants in the area that I would rather go to. The steak wasn't made to order, it was well, when I and all the others at my table ordered medium, none of the others meals were memorable. We sat in the middle of the restaurant, even with reservations, the table wasn't big enough to accommodate an appetizer, wine and our meal. Go some where else...
- Saturday night dinnerpowance4Dined on 8/2/2014A bit last minute decision to go out for dinner, we were able to make a reservation and were seated right away. We do not dine here very often, mostly because we go"out" for lunch frequently, but dinner not so much. Two adults and a teenager had Baja Tacos (amazing per teen), Chicken Chili Rellenos (excellent) and Bleu Cheese Tenderloin Medallions (very good). I tried a wine flight and they were willing to swap out one wine for another (on a different flight), which I thought was very nice. Lemon cheesecake for dessert (very good and large enough to share). Mentioned to our server that the green beans were undercooked and manager came by to acknowledge the problem, and thanked us for the input. Service above average & very friendly.Special Features:
- Good but not greatRidgeback12Dined on 8/2/2014We had a party of 5 and it took several tries to get the attention of our waitress to refill or drinks. The food was good. I had the the sea bisque soup and it was very good. We also had the Caesar salad with chicken and it was good but lacked dressing. The burger sliders we too well done and the 12 year old wouldn't eat them. The ice cream sundae was huge and very tasty!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/31/2014This is our go-to restaurant and have been coming back to Zephyr since we first met - we always enjoy our experience and this past time, we enjoyed it very much (my husband actually commented that the bay scallops were possibly the best he's ever had) :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Livermore FindFoodFanVIPDined on 7/26/2014Enjoyed our dinner very much. Wide choice of tasty foods, great service nicely paced, local wines, warm ambiance, and fair prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesome.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/19/2014this was my first time there. ended up eating for 2.5 hours. We enjoyed our food from the pre-dinner cocktails to the chocolate Sunday for dessert. The food was perfect and our waitress was engaging and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mostly GoodmatineeVIPDined on 7/12/2014Nice looking restaurant that is very busy. Server was attentive but needs to know a little more about wine and pouring. Brought a pair of Napa Cabs and when I asked for a second set of glasses so we could taste side by side the server told me it would crowd the table. Then poured the wine like a beer, almost to the top of the glass. Tuna appetizer was very good and the crab cakes were nice. The ribeye and scallops entrees were very good, but the halibut was slightly overcooked and the pork chop needed a little something, although it looked great on the plate. Three of the four dishes came with the same vegetable on the side. I know it's more work, but I'd like to see them take the time to put out a complete meal not just rotate meatsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Zephyr Grill Flies Highmeal1guyDined on 7/12/2014We have gone to Zephyr Grill on several occasions, and have never been disappointed. The restaurant has a great menu and daily specials that would be a foodies delight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service, Sad AhiToniMDined on 7/8/2014We were there for birthday lunch, but we didn't tell the restaurant. The Very, Very nice waitress noticed us opening birthday cards and brought us a yummy hot fudge sundae and four brownies on the house! The people who had shrimp cobb salads liked them very much. The two of us who had ahi tuna sandwiches found the ahi tuna tasted fishy, in other words, not fresh.
- DisappointingArtVanDeLeighDined on 7/6/2014The bread was good but that is where it ended. The ribeye steak was about 1/2 inch thick and consequently over cooked. It looked like a piece of shoe leather. The flavor was ok but not what we expect when we order this cut of meat. The scallops were ok but nothing special. The green beans were bland. Don't even think about ordering the butternut squash soup unless you're a fan of baby food. The cocktails were good. Our service was excellent. Too bad we won't go back!
- The following 610 reviews are from the Zephyr Grill and Bar reviews archive.
- The good, bad, and not so great!BarryofFremontDined on 6/28/2014A group table for eight always creates problems, slow service, bland food, and some interesting dishes. The crab/avocado tower and shrimp taco well well received and enjoyed. The BBQ steak was tastes less and the accompanying potatoes were cold and under done. The wine list was acceptable but costly.
- 10th Anniversary for ZephyrsRachDined on 6/24/2014The wine tasting and apptz were a big hit part of why we chose to come. A few of us friends came to just drink at the bar and have dinner. The dinner is always great especially any steaks you order. Our dessert was out of this world and very large fun to share. The wine we chose was very tasting and it was one of the wine feature from the wine tasting.Special Features:
- Great MealArchieBugDined on 6/24/2014We had a fantastic meal on the night of Zephyr's 10th Anniversary. We were able to score a last minute reservation, and they had complimentary wine tasting (apparently they do every tuesday!). The winery doing tasting had bottles for $10 off, so we were able to drink a great bottle of red blend for $28. Great selection of Livermore valley wines. Chicken Chile Rellenos were DELISH. Other members of our party had the pork chop and potato wrapped halibut and were pleased. Very accommodating of the fact that we needed a high chair, and understanding about needs of dining with a 10 month old. Hubby had to take an emergency call and they kept his plate hot while he was on the phone.Special Features:
- DisappointingCoolhandukDined on 6/20/2014Booked a table for 4 for a last minute Friday evening out. Immediately seated in the back room which was nice. Our server was Bless and she was fantastic, everything you would want from the perfect waitress. We had the coconut shrimp and the crab tower as a shared appetizer, the crab tower was really good and the shrimp were ok. We had Rib Eye, two specials (Sirloin) and the Halibut, it all came out together , in good time and looked well presented. Then BANG, where did the flavor go, everything was perfectly cooked but the flavor had somehow been extracted from everyone's meal, it was made okay with a lot of salt and pepper. Nice to try but will not be rushing back.
- Father's Day outDryzVIPDined on 6/15/2014The food here is generally very good. On this night, though, the service was not firing on all cylinders. Probably because it was Fathers Day, the restaurant was very busy. Our main entrees came out before our salads, they asked if we would like bread and then it never came, just little things like this. However, it is doing the little things right that sets a business apart from everyone else. In all the food is good and I would probably recommend someone to go.I would recommend this to a friend.