Zento Contemporary Japanese Cuisine + Sake Bar
132 Chestnut St.
Philadelphia, PA 19106Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
Zento Contemporary Japanese Cuisine + Sake Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.zentocontemporary.com/2013
- Phone: (215) 925-9998
- Hours of Operation:
Monday to Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Saturday: 11:30am - 5pm (Dinner menu is served)
Sunday to Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
Parties Larger than 8, Please Call in to Reserve Your Table
$45 credit card minimum please
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese, Asian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Years of experience with local establishments and organizations to provide on-site and off-site sushi catering service for special events. Sushi Party trays are also available upon request or Let us cater at your location or home. Chefs on premisses upon availablitiy. Contact dp@zentocatering for more details.
- Entertainment: "Reverse Happy Hour" at Zento every day from 8:30pm-10:30pm. Enjoy half price Cocktails and selected food items at the bar area only.
- Special Events: The 2nd floor dining room can occupy 30 - 40 people with a full liquor and premium sake bar, overlooking the dining room on the first floor through the glass windows. This stylish room can be used for large private parties or special events.
A word from Zento Contemporary Japanese Cuisine + Sake Bar
Sexy and trendy two-story spacious establishment with a full liquor and premium sake bar. The main dining room welcomes you with a 10 ft long sushi bar, attended by our talented and skilled chefs. Then few steps away is the full liquor bar fills with good selections of top shelf liquors and premium sakes for all preferences. The warm table setting welcomes our guests to enjoy a fine meal. The 2nd floor dining room is also occupied by a full liquor and premium sake bar, overlooking the dining room on the first floor. This stylish room can be used for large private parties or special events.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerJapanese
Zento Contemporary Japanese Cuisine + Sake Bar - Best Restaurants in Old City ›
Zento Contemporary Japanese Cuisine + Sake Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
67 reviews since August 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (34)neighborhood gem (29)romantic (27)special occasion (23)good for groups (11)great for lunch (9)hot spot (9)late-night find (8)notable wine list (7)great for brunch (3)great for outdoor dining (3)vibrant bar scene (2)scenic view (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- good findOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/15/2014friendly staff, good food...good location and great atmosphere. Our waiter had personality and provided great serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good sushi, if you are in the neighborhoodNYCFoodieDined on 11/12/2014Sushi was tasty, service was good. Relaxed environment where you can sit back and enjoy. The spider roll was a bit on the small side and was only part of the crab otherwise meal was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice space, poor serviceoldcitydinerDined on 11/8/2014My fiancé and I had taken his business clients/ friends out to dinner. We were excited to celebrate our engagement and the news that they are expecting. I was a bit concerned when we were sat upstairs, but the ambiance was nice and it was quiet. After about 15 minutes we felt like we were forgotten about, our waitress finally came over with no apologies (it did not appear to be busy there) and took our drink orders. I ordered a Cab Sav and my friend ordered a Pinot Noir, the waitress had no knowledge of the drink menu or of wines. Needless to say we both received glasses of Cabernet. Our meals didn't come out at the same time which was awkward and created for a very unenjoyable meal. Food is very decent, but the service left us unhappy.
- a place with characterbirthdaycelebrationDined on 11/2/2014I am tired of -all look the same-food is the same restaurants. I always search for something with a personal touch and character. Zento is one of them! Food and service were good, atmosphere great and prices reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Zento, still the best!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/25/2014I always love coming to Zento and this time was no different. Extremely fresh seafood, great service, an fantastic sushi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CuteeeeeeeeeeTancredDined on 10/24/2014This place is so super cute and romantic. It's kind of small, but the people are very nice and the food is always, always, always amazing. I brought my love there and they were wowed by the delicious tonkotsu ramen and spicy salmon sushi (my ultimate favs)!Special Features:
- Was very happy with our visit here.c1cindy1Dined on 10/24/2014Everything was excellent. The service, the food and the atmosphere. Would love to come back.Special Features:
- Something diffrentDirectorDined on 10/17/2014If you like something new and different check this hot spot out the food excellent the bartender Chris great just a all around good placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnnoyedbusinesstravelerVIPDined on 10/4/2014Service is so slow. We could have had many more drinks but server was not around often enough. Food average at best.
- Very goodpersicjlDined on 9/27/2014I had made reservations at a different sushi restaurant, but changed to Zento because of the location. We arrived about ten minutes late which was no problem. We were seated immediately at a nice little table. The place was smaller than I had expected, but great ambiance none the less. Service was very slow to begin with. It took a while to get our first order of drinks. After the initial Delgado, everything went smoothly. Service moving forward was prompt and attentive. Food was very good. The only disappointment was dessert. We ordered green tea tempura ice cream and got some kind of fried cheesecake batter with literally a spoonful of green tea ice cream.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid sushiGregfromMediaDined on 9/27/2014This was our third time here and we weren't disappointed. The sushi is always good and the hot food looked great though we stuck to sushi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ehf1038Dined on 9/20/2014We went early afternoon Saturday and were the only table in the place. Even though the place was empty we still waited at the door for five minutes before we were sat. It was very small but the decor was unique. Unfortunately, being the only table in there did not mean the service was great either, they took our order wrong and weren't attentive to drink refills. The sushi was just okay and 2/3 of us didn't feel right after our meal. Take-out from here isn't too bad though.
- Excellent Food, Romatic SettingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014Girlfriend and I went for amazing restaurant week deals. Left with one of the best dining experiences we ever had. The food was superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!WesTDDined on 9/13/2014Amazing food and really superior service! Is a little noisy with hard walls, ceiling, floors etc. Other than that a really great place!
- Ok, not great!PMinPhillyDined on 9/12/2014It has a nice and interesting interior but very loud. The sushi was average, not the best I've had. Honestly, expected much better for the price. Not sure I would want to go back.
- Delectable JapaneseKaryn66Dined on 8/31/2014We tried w a groupon- and have since returned!! Though not inexpensive, this menu offers varied tastes-and options- fish is fresh- creative menu- and wonderful ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A real gemLondon6djVIPDined on 8/31/2014One of those restaurants where you can't go wrong. From beginning to end the service and food were impeccable. Very friendly staff, lovely bar with a very confident bartender. Will always recommend ZentoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Intimate and StylishLetiDined on 8/26/2014The food was delicious; the service was attentive; the decor was unique. As a b.y.o. it offers the best of both worlds. Note, there's a $10 corkage fee on the weekends. The seared tuna salad is superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High Quality FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/24/2014Went for a late meal around 9:45 on a Sunday, right before closing, but found the service still relaxed and the food to be fresh and of excellent quality. The restaurant was a small, charming space and was quiet at the time of our visit. Even despite being a Sunday night, the sushi was fresh and paired with high-quality rice, and the other food was equally delicious. The prices were moderate and completely fair for what you're getting.Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerphillyfoodVIPDined on 8/19/2014I wanted to find a restaurant to have my birthday dinner with a small group (4) of friends, with good ambience, not too crowded/deserted, good food and drinks. This is a great place to do that on any night!Special Features:
- Top sushi spotOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/19/2014I adore Zento. I've been going for years and the waitstaff never changes. It proves it's a good place to work AND great for repeat customers. Their white peach cosmo is worth every penny.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner and Drinksac439Dined on 8/8/2014The food was delicious and it came out at the perfect pace. Ordered a bottle of wine and for the price we got more than we expected. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- SO OVER PRICED!!!rosepetalgurlVIPDined on 8/2/2014I would not go there, nor recommend people to go there, for the price you are paying, food was ok, but not worth it.
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/1/2014Great sushi and wonderful service. The place is super busy on the weekends so make a reservation!
- ZentoOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/1/2014Freshest sushi around! Would eat there 5 times a week! cocktails are amazing too!Special Features:
- The following 225 reviews are from the Zento Contemporary Japanese Cuisine + Sake Bar reviews archive.
- Fantastic!RickVIPDined on 7/23/2014Love the sushi! It was all VERY good. The decor is very nice and we all had a great time. I would go again anytime. This is one of my new favorite restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food poor service high costLynnVIPDined on 7/19/2014We had a party of 5. Were sat upstairs- would have preferred downstairs near the action with a res. The food was amazing. Some of the best sushi in town but it was coupled with some of the poorest service I have had in a long time. Our server took about 30 minutes to get us a drink and then Tried to put our order into a tablet but it wasn't working,well- not sure if that caused the hold up- but appetizers all came like 20 minutes apart- and then our main dishes were all screwed up we go double of things we didn't order and missing others- after being there for over 2 hours we just ate what came- which was delicious. Plus our bill was over $300. Which for 6 rolls, some sashimi, and some appetizers and drinks - seemed quite excessive!Special Features:
- Dinner for an anniversaryColgateToPhillyDined on 7/14/2014I made a reservation the same day for a second anniversary. Due to an understandably slow Monday and heavy rain, the restaurant was very quiet. Nonetheless, our server was prompt, the food came out quickly--and tasted great, as usual. The dessert came with a candle, per communication between host and server regarding our anniversary note.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud and Just OKDiddo84Dined on 7/11/2014We went on a really busy Friday night. I had made reservations for two, and was disappointed to be seated in a cramped space right near the door. There was no ambience and a lot of traffic. The waitress and hostess were not particularly nice, but again it was very very busy. We ordered sushi and appetizers. The food was very good, but definitely a tad overpriced for the portion size. One plus is that this place has a full bar and is also a BYOB. I did not know that going in so did not bring wine, but others had bottles. There is a $10 corking fee (per bottle I believe) on Thursdays-Saturdays.
- Excellent SushiGregfromMediaDined on 7/11/2014We have been to Zento twice now and are very impressed by the quality of their sushi. Always fresh with some interesting rolls to choose from. Very nice and friendly servers. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- Fresh and DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/9/2014Always enjoy the great sushi at Zento. The fish is very fresh.Special Features:
- Yet another WONDERFUL ExperienceMeetinCJVIPDined on 7/8/2014Fantastic Sushi in Olde City. What a great place. Wonderful food and great service. It was a memorable evening. I took friends and they loved it as much as I boasted about from past experiences. Bravo!Special Features:
- Another great experience!MeetinCJVIPDined on 7/3/2014Service and food were wonderful. It was a great experience for a business lunch.Special Features:
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 6/28/2014Great food, quick service, quite restaurant. Everything was greatI would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent and reasonable!TinaVIPDined on 6/20/2014Consistently great food and good service. Not to mention very reasonably priced. We will continue to come back!
- Private dining experiencePatrickVIPDined on 6/18/2014Arrived at 12:15 for my 12:15 lunch reservation. No one in sight. Waited. Another customer was there to pick up an order and finally called down the steps to the kitchen. Finally I was seated. The nice waiter agreed to make iced tea -- which took a long time, but was nicely brewed. The tuna tartare with potato sticks was wonderful. Had a bowl of ramen with pork and greens. Very nice. Just seemed awkward as I was the ONLY diner in the place the entire time I was there.
- localVIPDined on 6/17/2014excellent Japanese food but curiously, it is SO EXPENSIVE. Sushi fish portions were very small atop the rice.Special Features:
- Nite out with the GirlsLuvNewSpotsDined on 6/14/2014Had a great time! They service was personable, friendly and warm. They created an atmosphere where my friends and I could laugh, eat and have a good time. The food was good and fresh too! Amazing experience! Thanks Zento...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- carincarinDined on 6/14/2014This is a wonderful sushi restaurant where there is no corkage fee during the week, but it also has a full bar and wonderful saki selection if you like saki. The food is delicious and the staff is wonderful! We found it last minute and LOVED it the first time when we just sat at the bar so we brought a whole group back recently who also enjoyed it as much! Since we were a group of 6 they gace us the upstairs which is a private little area and so great!Special Features:
- Great food and sushi/no serviceJanelle212Dined on 6/13/2014The server did not greet us upon sitting. He was sheepish in asking for our order. Never asked for our drink order. Didn't offer specials or advice. Was awkward.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.