77 North 6th Street
Brooklyn, NY 11211Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.zenkichi.com/
- Phone: 7183888985
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Wednesday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 12:00am Sunday 5:30pm-11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese, International
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Catering: Call for more information.
- Private Party Facilities: Prix-fixe menus are available for groups larger than six, and up to 16 guests, in one room.
A word from Zenkichi
Zenkichi quietly entered the scene in late 2006 in a then up and coming Williamsburg food scene. The unique cuisine and dining experience have had restaurant goers and critics catching on ever since. The restaurant offers semi private tables for all of its customers and Tokyo-style Japanese cuisine. The focus is on small plates for sharing and tasting with sake. The menu emphasizes Omakase (chef's tasting menu) which changes every five weeks to incorporate the freshest ingredients of the season. The sake selection includes over 50 kinds of carefully chosen premium sake labels. Zenkichi continues to evolve with a recently added garden. The space is inspired by a Japanese mountain retreat with a glass ceiling that incorporates two 50 year old trees. Which expands the seating space and adds a new dynamic to the already unique décor. Michelin Guide:...a space that feels wonderfully cozy and intimate. A return to the outside world will have you planning your next trip.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Zenkichi - Best Restaurants in Williamsburg ›
Zenkichi reviews from OpenTable diners
97 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
romantic (86)special occasion (74)fit for foodies (68)neighborhood gem (45)good for groups (12)notable wine list (12)hot spot (12)late-night find (5)great for outdoor dining (2)kid-friendly (1)great for lunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/21/2014Get the tasting menu. The black cod and tofu salad are AMAZING!Special Features:
- Great for special eventsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014My SO and I came for our anniversary as we had heard raving reviews about the scenic views inside the restaurant. the restaurant without a doubt had a very special flair about it. Unfortunately we were not seated on the third floor which without a doubt had a better view. In either case the food was very good. from the miso cod to the washu beef, everything was done to perfection. I recommend the omakase tasting. While a tad on the expensive side, it nonetheless was worth it. It had a wide selection of the store's seasonal specialties. Do note that If you do go please understand that the portions are not meant to be filling but rather for taste so I would eat a very light meal before hand as I was still craving for much more.Special Features:
- Good Environment and FoodArgoDined on 10/19/2014It is a romantic place. It is very suitable to couple dating. Great food, good service and jazz music. New style Japanese chief choice is your first choice. 65 dollars is worth to recommend everyone.Special Features:
- Absolutely loved itOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014I really enjoyed my experience here. Very romantic and the food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost like a private dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/17/2014Really love the booths with the privacy shades. You ring a silent bell when you want you waiter to come to the table. Super cuteSpecial Features:
- second time just as gooddjsgDined on 10/16/2014We've tried lots of menu items and have been well pleased. The service is amazing and definitely not your typical hipster williamsburg brand of hospitality. Will go back for sure, and would highly recommend. The cozy private booths makes the evening very intimate, however upstairs has an area for a group of couples.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- going to TokyoOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/14/2014beautiful japanese cuisine and dishes, delicious and original.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentJerhDined on 10/12/2014It a very good restaurant for enyoy the nithg. Es un restauran acogedor para parejas se pasa super bien y la comida excelenteSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive but goodKiwivdaDined on 10/12/2014We reserved our table from Italy a week in advance everything has been beautiful. The location is really romantic and warm, the waiters are gently and explain you all you are eating. The bill...well is sushi bill! The sake tasting was awesome, and the fish war really fresh.Special Features:
- best anniversary dinneriNickDined on 10/10/2014the semi-private booths were the perfect setting for a romantic 5-year anniversarySpecial Features:
- Amazing Food & Even Better Servicenomnomnom11Dined on 10/4/2014Kind servers and an eclectic menu make this prime Williamsburg restaurant a necessity! Every small dish was better than the next - make sure to not pass on dessert either, the walnut chocolate pudding was heaven in a glass.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Flawless Evening for TwoWhiteLotusDined on 9/26/2014I booked a reservation online, specifying it would be for my boyfriend's birthday. The night before, I called to confirm. A polite woman affirmed the reservation and even stated the birthday detail. I mentioned my $50 groupon and was given clear instructions on how to present it upon arrival. When we arrived, we were greeted and taken to our seats. We ordered the Omakase for two, which was an unforgettable experience. 8 small dishes of finely prepared food - the quality was spectacular. Recommended for those who appreciate fine tastes, not those who just want to fill their stomach. The yellowtail, miso cod, and tofu salad were to die for. Lastly, our dessert plate had "Happy Birthday" written on it. A fantastic night. Thank you Zenkichi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The perfect evening!katiekat7Dined on 9/5/2014I don't write reviews often, but this place really exceeded my expectations! The ambiance was super, private and romantic perfect for celebrating our 5 year wedding anniversary. The food was spot on, traditional Japanese, delicious fit for foodies like my husband and myself. The service was wonderful! Truly wonderful experience here!Special Features:
- Absolutely PerfectLuckyDanDined on 9/2/2014We enjoyed the entire experience at Zenkichi; it has the most unassuming storefront ever (our cab driver was convinced they closed down), which starts everything off by making it feel like a hip, secret spot. The atmosphere was subdued, intimate, and authentically Japanese; it was clear a lot of thought and effort were put into the design. Our server was knowledgeable, helpful, and friendly. She walked us carefully through the menu, advised us on sake pairings, and guided us toward selections that would suit our tastes. Now the menu was phenomenal. each item we ordered was a carefully crafted fusion of Japanese and western tastes. I recommend to go with someone you care about, try all you can, and take your server's advice.Special Features:
- A fine restaurantAnonymousDined on 8/31/2014The food and service continues to amaze me and it find some new surprises every time I go there!!Special Features:
- A hidden wonder in NYCOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/25/2014Not just the food but the atmosphere is what makes this place simply unique. Very intimate and capturing the essence of Japan in every detail, from furniture to service. A must in the Williamsburg area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Private and Cozy with Great ServiceOut2LunchVIPDined on 8/23/2014Overall, it was a solid dining experience. I had the omakase, while my wife ordered a la carte. The shrimp, corn, and camembert dumplings were a highlight. The miso soup was some of the best I have ever had, as was the salad with the fresh tofu. The sashimi was well-executed and fresh. The miso cod was tasty and generally met the standard set by, for example, Nobu. The black sesame mousse for dessert was creamy and rich without being overkill. Service was exceptional and given the intimate private dining, I would go again.Special Features:
- Hidden GemiseeyouDined on 8/23/2014This restaurant is hidden by its wooden entrance. My boyfriend and I came here for our 1yr anniversary. The ambience was perfect, our food came quick and it was very delicious. I loved that you get to be in a private space and the waitress comes on demand. I can't wait to go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Aged Bonito et al.abacusbuscandoloDined on 8/16/2014Cozy little booths. A lick of aged bonito quickly melts your brain. Besides the aged bonito, the menu is not that thrilling. Nonetheless, all the dishes are tasty and unique. The menu is all small plates so if you come hungry order the udon or the fried riceball.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeMikeDined on 8/11/2014Great atmosphere, small menu but really good food. Menu changes every season, will definitely come back to try the new menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special dinner!mentaluxDined on 8/10/2014My GF and I arrived at Zenkichi a little early for our reservation and were seated immediately. The entire staff was incredibly gracious, start to finish, and thanked us for dining with them. They treated every step of the experience as a special occasion, which more restaurants could learn from. The omakase tasting menu was simply spectacular, and at $65 it's a great deal considering how many dishes you get. Every course left a great impression. Just thinking about the salmon sashimi, the miso cod, the duck, even the salad(!) is still making me smile a day later. Private tables, respectful staff, romantic setting, phenomenal food, and the special anniversary dessert all made for an incredibly memorable evening. Thank you, we'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014Service was amazing! Food was amazing! Only thing another take was being to loudSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ZaraDined on 8/10/2014Zenkichi offered a unique experience of original Japanese dining without the usual sushi rolls. Wonderful tastes, fresh ingredients and an impressive selection of fine sake. The service was very friendly, helpful and fast. If you choose to go for one of the more expensive sakes, be prepared to pay. A great experience, we will return!Special Features:
- Great PlaceAnonymousDined on 8/10/2014Great restaurant for a romantic and intimate dinner!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not going back.ReginaDined on 8/9/2014It was so difficult to get a reservation. I was expecting for a top of the notch place. They servers are clueless, they put 2-3 pieces of meet on the plate. Entree is smaller than appetizer. I asked if they can make my lamb chops medium well, the answer was no. Wtf!? They don't serve alcohol? U have to go yourself down straits to the bar?!? I have never experienced anything like it.
- ExcellentAllureDined on 8/9/2014As always this place is amazing! A super romantic spot for a dat night for two. Their portion for the miso cod was increased which is a super delicious dish you could not get enough of!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic JapaneseShachi83Dined on 8/4/2014Overall Zenkichi turned out to be what I expected. It was quiet, romantic, and provides you with that secluded one-on-one feel great for a date and/or couples. We went for the 8-course Omakase tasting menu and I certainly enjoyed it. The star course is definitely the Saikyo Miso Cod, and the seared Duck Breast. If you are accustomed to Japanese cuisine then you will certainly enjoy each unique course. The food tasted rich and was freshly prepared. My husband unfortunately was not a big fan. He is used to "Americanized" Japanese foods and he was not impressed. Overall I loved it and would go back, and recommended to the open minded types who are either familiar with Japanese cuisine, or have an adventurous palate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but not worth itHudsonGoldDined on 8/3/2014Yes, there is a nice charm about the individual little eating nooks at Zenkichi but the ambiance it seeks to create does not work. The putting up and down of the cheap roman curtain quickly becomes a joke. More unfortunately, neighboring tables will be full of typical, disrespectful, boorish New Yorkers who will think their curtain allows them to speak loudly and freely. Since you are LITERALLY only an arms reach away through the curtain, your romantic, anniversary meal could be filled with their explicative-laden idiotic prattle, as ours was. And the tables are tiny so if you are tall, you and your date might be pressing knees the whole meal as there is no other way to sit. For the money, head elsewhere.
- Amazing!VLMommyDined on 8/2/2014My husband and I went to Zenkichi for my birthday. The food, the ambiance, the service were all outstanding. Try to arrive in advance of your reservation time to have a drink or two at Bar Akariba! Can not wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique and romantic experiencerequiem13Dined on 8/2/2014We ordered the $65 per person sampler menu with dessert and the food was unique and interesting and varied. The ambiance is dark, quiet and private. You feel like a Japanese shogun. The service is exceptionally friendly and quick.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthday Dinner!NYCgirlVIPDined on 7/27/2014I took my boyfriend here for his birthday, and we loved it! The ambiance of the restaurant was very nice - the staff was all incredibly friendly. We decided to go for the omakase, which is 8 courses. All of it was amazing, and they even served the dessert with a decorative, "Happy Birthday!". Definitely coming back another time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemA58390203Dined on 7/25/2014This restaurant is hidden in what looks like an abandoned warehouse in Williamsburg. Don't be fooled by first impressions, upon walking in you will be magically transported to Japan. I went here for my birthday with 5 other people and was very happily surprised to find that the rooms are all private, Japanese style, with a buzzer to summon your server. I was thoroughly impressed by the presentation and authenticity of the food, every single thing we tried was fantastic. I was worried about the bill but it ended up being only $30/person including tip and we each had a beer. Wonderful value and a great place for groups since you get privacy without paying extra for it. I'll be back for sure!Special Features:
- Exceeded ExpectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/19/2014I loved the tuna and salmon, so delicious. I had the 8-course Omakase ($65 per person) plus the basic sake tasting (I think it was around $19 for 3 different kinds of sake). The service was great, just like what you will get when you go to Japan! And I like how the seating was separated from other customers. The food was fresh and the plating were beautiful. Must visit this place if you are around Williamsburg.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/16/2014Best Japanese food I've ever had. Great ambience, decor, and service.Special Features:
- The following 713 reviews are from the Zenkichi reviews archive.
- Great experienceTasgeoDined on 6/22/2014A truly great experience in a very unique environment. The food is excellent and the space design quite surprising. The more you look around the more interesting design ideas you see. Great for a romantic dinner or for a group of people.Special Features:
- Awesomely intimateLazarusVIPDined on 6/20/2014This is an incredible place managed by thoughtful and exquisite people. My wife and I celebrated our anniversary here and it will be remembered for years to come. The food is fantastic, the service is discrete and kind, and the layout and the setup of the table is completely unique and private. Classy and understated. Truly fabulous.Special Features:
- Incomparable dining experienceTribecaTommyDined on 6/20/2014My favorite restaurant in NY. Exquisite food, beautifully prepared and served. Bamboo curtains separate you from other diners. Order the Omakase. A fabulous deal for 65 dollars. Unique dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hitomi is the Best!UpperWestsideBrownGirlDined on 6/14/2014Zenkichi is a great gem in the neighborhood. I enjoyed every morsel of the small plates ordered (steak, cod, rice ball, chicken wings, chicken ball-like shumai). For the Saki tasting I preferred the premium to the basic and we received outstanding service from Hitomi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always terrificTimJDined on 6/10/2014Zenkichi is always terrific. I think this may have been our fourth visit. The food is wonderful and the private booths are conducive to conversation. Service is generally excellent, with a button in each booth to press to call the server, which eliminates hovering.Special Features:
- Never DiappointsKennyVIPDined on 6/6/2014My wife and I have been dining at Zenkichi for many years now. We mostly go with their Omakase menu. It's a great value. We loved our drinks and every single course they served us. Our sever was very friendly and professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.