77 North 6th Street
Brooklyn, NY 11211Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.zenkichi.com/
- Phone: 7183888985
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Wednesday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 12:00am Sunday 5:30pm-11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese, International
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Catering: Call for more information.
- Private Party Facilities: Prix-fixe menus are available for groups larger than six, and up to 16 guests, in one room.
A word from Zenkichi
Zenkichi quietly entered the scene in late 2006 in a then up and coming Williamsburg food scene. The unique cuisine and dining experience have had restaurant goers and critics catching on ever since. The restaurant offers semi private tables for all of its customers and Tokyo-style Japanese cuisine. The focus is on small plates for sharing and tasting with sake. The menu emphasizes Omakase (chef's tasting menu) which changes every five weeks to incorporate the freshest ingredients of the season. The sake selection includes over 50 kinds of carefully chosen premium sake labels. Zenkichi continues to evolve with a recently added garden. The space is inspired by a Japanese mountain retreat with a glass ceiling that incorporates two 50 year old trees. Which expands the seating space and adds a new dynamic to the already unique décor. Michelin Guide:...a space that feels wonderfully cozy and intimate. A return to the outside world will have you planning your next trip.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Zenkichi - Best Restaurants in Williamsburg ›
Zenkichi reviews from OpenTable diners
91 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
romantic (78)special occasion (63)fit for foodies (60)neighborhood gem (40)hot spot (13)good for groups (12)late-night find (8)notable wine list (7)great for outdoor dining (3)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- A fine restaurantAnonymousDined on 8/31/2014The food and service continues to amaze me and it find some new surprises every time I go there!!Special Features:
- A hidden wonder in NYCOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/25/2014Not just the food but the atmosphere is what makes this place simply unique. Very intimate and capturing the essence of Japan in every detail, from furniture to service. A must in the Williamsburg area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Private and Cozy with Great ServiceOut2LunchVIPDined on 8/23/2014Overall, it was a solid dining experience. I had the omakase, while my wife ordered a la carte. The shrimp, corn, and camembert dumplings were a highlight. The miso soup was some of the best I have ever had, as was the salad with the fresh tofu. The sashimi was well-executed and fresh. The miso cod was tasty and generally met the standard set by, for example, Nobu. The black sesame mousse for dessert was creamy and rich without being overkill. Service was exceptional and given the intimate private dining, I would go again.Special Features:
- Hidden GemiseeyouDined on 8/23/2014This restaurant is hidden by its wooden entrance. My boyfriend and I came here for our 1yr anniversary. The ambience was perfect, our food came quick and it was very delicious. I loved that you get to be in a private space and the waitress comes on demand. I can't wait to go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Aged Bonito et al.abacusbuscandoloDined on 8/16/2014Cozy little booths. A lick of aged bonito quickly melts your brain. Besides the aged bonito, the menu is not that thrilling. Nonetheless, all the dishes are tasty and unique. The menu is all small plates so if you come hungry order the udon or the fried riceball.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeMikeDined on 8/11/2014Great atmosphere, small menu but really good food. Menu changes every season, will definitely come back to try the new menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special dinner!mentaluxDined on 8/10/2014My GF and I arrived at Zenkichi a little early for our reservation and were seated immediately. The entire staff was incredibly gracious, start to finish, and thanked us for dining with them. They treated every step of the experience as a special occasion, which more restaurants could learn from. The omakase tasting menu was simply spectacular, and at $65 it's a great deal considering how many dishes you get. Every course left a great impression. Just thinking about the salmon sashimi, the miso cod, the duck, even the salad(!) is still making me smile a day later. Private tables, respectful staff, romantic setting, phenomenal food, and the special anniversary dessert all made for an incredibly memorable evening. Thank you, we'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014Service was amazing! Food was amazing! Only thing another take was being to loudSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ZaraDined on 8/10/2014Zenkichi offered a unique experience of original Japanese dining without the usual sushi rolls. Wonderful tastes, fresh ingredients and an impressive selection of fine sake. The service was very friendly, helpful and fast. If you choose to go for one of the more expensive sakes, be prepared to pay. A great experience, we will return!Special Features:
- Great PlaceAnonymousDined on 8/10/2014Great restaurant for a romantic and intimate dinner!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not going back.ReginaDined on 8/9/2014It was so difficult to get a reservation. I was expecting for a top of the notch place. They servers are clueless, they put 2-3 pieces of meet on the plate. Entree is smaller than appetizer. I asked if they can make my lamb chops medium well, the answer was no. Wtf!? They don't serve alcohol? U have to go yourself down straits to the bar?!? I have never experienced anything like it.
- ExcellentAllureDined on 8/9/2014As always this place is amazing! A super romantic spot for a dat night for two. Their portion for the miso cod was increased which is a super delicious dish you could not get enough of!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic JapaneseShachi83Dined on 8/4/2014Overall Zenkichi turned out to be what I expected. It was quiet, romantic, and provides you with that secluded one-on-one feel great for a date and/or couples. We went for the 8-course Omakase tasting menu and I certainly enjoyed it. The star course is definitely the Saikyo Miso Cod, and the seared Duck Breast. If you are accustomed to Japanese cuisine then you will certainly enjoy each unique course. The food tasted rich and was freshly prepared. My husband unfortunately was not a big fan. He is used to "Americanized" Japanese foods and he was not impressed. Overall I loved it and would go back, and recommended to the open minded types who are either familiar with Japanese cuisine, or have an adventurous palate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but not worth itHudsonGoldDined on 8/3/2014Yes, there is a nice charm about the individual little eating nooks at Zenkichi but the ambiance it seeks to create does not work. The putting up and down of the cheap roman curtain quickly becomes a joke. More unfortunately, neighboring tables will be full of typical, disrespectful, boorish New Yorkers who will think their curtain allows them to speak loudly and freely. Since you are LITERALLY only an arms reach away through the curtain, your romantic, anniversary meal could be filled with their explicative-laden idiotic prattle, as ours was. And the tables are tiny so if you are tall, you and your date might be pressing knees the whole meal as there is no other way to sit. For the money, head elsewhere.
- Amazing!VLMommyDined on 8/2/2014My husband and I went to Zenkichi for my birthday. The food, the ambiance, the service were all outstanding. Try to arrive in advance of your reservation time to have a drink or two at Bar Akariba! Can not wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique and romantic experiencerequiem13Dined on 8/2/2014We ordered the $65 per person sampler menu with dessert and the food was unique and interesting and varied. The ambiance is dark, quiet and private. You feel like a Japanese shogun. The service is exceptionally friendly and quick.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthday Dinner!NYCgirlDined on 7/27/2014I took my boyfriend here for his birthday, and we loved it! The ambiance of the restaurant was very nice - the staff was all incredibly friendly. We decided to go for the omakase, which is 8 courses. All of it was amazing, and they even served the dessert with a decorative, "Happy Birthday!". Definitely coming back another time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemA58390203Dined on 7/25/2014This restaurant is hidden in what looks like an abandoned warehouse in Williamsburg. Don't be fooled by first impressions, upon walking in you will be magically transported to Japan. I went here for my birthday with 5 other people and was very happily surprised to find that the rooms are all private, Japanese style, with a buzzer to summon your server. I was thoroughly impressed by the presentation and authenticity of the food, every single thing we tried was fantastic. I was worried about the bill but it ended up being only $30/person including tip and we each had a beer. Wonderful value and a great place for groups since you get privacy without paying extra for it. I'll be back for sure!Special Features:
- Exceeded ExpectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/19/2014I loved the tuna and salmon, so delicious. I had the 8-course Omakase ($65 per person) plus the basic sake tasting (I think it was around $19 for 3 different kinds of sake). The service was great, just like what you will get when you go to Japan! And I like how the seating was separated from other customers. The food was fresh and the plating were beautiful. Must visit this place if you are around Williamsburg.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/16/2014Best Japanese food I've ever had. Great ambience, decor, and service.Special Features:
- Great experienceTasgeoDined on 6/22/2014A truly great experience in a very unique environment. The food is excellent and the space design quite surprising. The more you look around the more interesting design ideas you see. Great for a romantic dinner or for a group of people.Special Features:
- Awesomely intimateLazarusVIPDined on 6/20/2014This is an incredible place managed by thoughtful and exquisite people. My wife and I celebrated our anniversary here and it will be remembered for years to come. The food is fantastic, the service is discrete and kind, and the layout and the setup of the table is completely unique and private. Classy and understated. Truly fabulous.Special Features:
- Incomparable dining experienceTribecaTommyDined on 6/20/2014My favorite restaurant in NY. Exquisite food, beautifully prepared and served. Bamboo curtains separate you from other diners. Order the Omakase. A fabulous deal for 65 dollars. Unique dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hitomi is the Best!UpperWestsideBrownGirlDined on 6/14/2014Zenkichi is a great gem in the neighborhood. I enjoyed every morsel of the small plates ordered (steak, cod, rice ball, chicken wings, chicken ball-like shumai). For the Saki tasting I preferred the premium to the basic and we received outstanding service from Hitomi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always terrificTimJDined on 6/10/2014Zenkichi is always terrific. I think this may have been our fourth visit. The food is wonderful and the private booths are conducive to conversation. Service is generally excellent, with a button in each booth to press to call the server, which eliminates hovering.Special Features:
- Never DiappointsKennyVIPDined on 6/6/2014My wife and I have been dining at Zenkichi for many years now. We mostly go with their Omakase menu. It's a great value. We loved our drinks and every single course they served us. Our sever was very friendly and professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!BkfoodieDined on 6/3/2014It was my first time at this restaurant and I was pleasantly impressed! It truly is a gem in Williamsburg! I will be going back and highly recommend going. Friendly and attentive staff and very private for romantic dates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A neighborhood gemjabaDined on 6/1/2014This restaurant is wonderful. Beautifully crafted Japanese food, great sake list, and its a treat to bring family and friends to this gem of a restaurant. The tofu is not to be missed. It is nutty, semi-sweet, and a wonderful compliment to the Zenkichi salad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for my anniversaryBurg251Dined on 5/31/2014I picked this place for my anniversary with my partner, and we both loved it! I wanted a splurge but nothing too overwhelming, and this was a great fit money wise. For the both of us it was just under 100. The food was both authentic Japanese and new. My partner got the chicken entree described as being along the lines of a meatball and I got the lamb tataki. Both were great, but I would say the chicken was more unique where the lamb was safe. The tempura appetizer was wonderful. We also had the basic sake tasting menu which was very nice and I certainly did not feel I was missing out by getting the smallest option. While the food was amazing, what made the experience special was the ambiance which transported you into your own world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RisingSonDined on 5/27/2014Perfect for business meeting. Do not like the limitation of sake only and will probably not go back for that reason. However, everything else was perfect.Special Features:
- Amazing dining experienceHollylainemDined on 5/24/2014So pleased with this choice, took my boyfriend for his birthday and was not disappointed. Perfect romantic intimate setting, food was amazing. definitely pricey so I'd recommend for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Japanese GemAkiGDined on 5/23/2014The best Japanese restaurant in New York City. The food was extremely fresh and tasty. The service was incredible. An authentic Japanese setting with a nice sense of privacy and intimacy. Definitely a great spot for a romantic dinner. Reasonably priced as well!Special Features:
- A real gemOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/10/2014Everything about Zenkichi is simply sublimely divine. Would highly recommend trying their prix fixe, especially for first time visitors. Trust me, you would want to go back again - right after you've left!Special Features:
- anniversary dinnerfoodisfriendDined on 5/6/2014we came here for our anniversary dinner, and it was absolutely perfect. the service was impeccable, the food was delicious (and not too expensive for how great it was), and the closed off tables provided the perfect amount of privacy for a very romantic evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experiencePegiDined on 5/6/2014I must say from outside u even couldn't tell it's a restaurant but when u will get inside you will be literally moved to japan...and the was great better Me and my friend order a la carte cause the tasting menu was too expensive for us We paid $80 for 2 ppl and leave place full Service was adorable and very kind Definitely recommend that place especially for romantic dinner or nice meal with good friendsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just GohazalangelDined on 5/6/2014You want a slice of Tokyo? Go to Zenkichi. Everything is authentic - the music, the voyeurisic ambiance, and most importantly the food, which is out of this world. Don't question - just go and eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 696 reviews are from the Zenkichi reviews archive.
- A lovely hideaway (gluten free too)candyinspectorDined on 5/4/2014A wheat-free tasting menu is a real find--especially at a Japanese restaurant--and this was delicious. There were less item than on the regular menu and it was cheaper ($48 compared with $65), and the waitstaff did a wonderful job of staggering my plates with those of my non-gluten free companions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- zenkichinoraposchDined on 5/3/2014great sake options, creative dishes, room on second floor not as intimate as hoped...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a wonderful nightmikoforfoodDined on 5/2/2014I came here for my anniversary and I had such a wonderful experience. The service is just amazing. Our waiter was the sweetest person ever. She also knew a lot about the menu which helps us feel more comfortable about what we're choosing. We got the omakase and sake tasting. The omakase was divine and I wish I was able to eat it everyday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun & romantic, food was so soSwedishCoupleDined on 5/2/2014Good athomsphere, friendly and enjoyable experience. Fun place to visit. We had the tasting multi-meal course. It was not that good and somewhat conventional for being named unconventional. For example terriaki tasting sauce with the meet. Some of it were quite good and more appreciated by my boyfriend, but still on the nice level. The soup was the best. I'd still recommend people to go and select only few dishes since they were quite cheap one by one and it's an great experienceSpecial Features: