Zengo - D.C.
781 7th St. NW
Washington, DC 20001Neighborhood:
Fusion / EclecticPrice: $30 and under
Zengo - D.C.
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.richardsandoval.com/zengodc
- Phone: 2023932929x
- Hours of Operation:
Happy Hour: Monday - Friday 3-8pm;
Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:30am-2:30pm;
Brunch: Saturday and Sunday 10:00am-3:00pm;
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday 5:00pm-10:00pm; Friday & Saturday 5:00pm-12:00am;
Bar/Lounge: Monday - Thursday 3:00pm-11:00pm; Friday & Saturday3:00pm - 2:30am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Fusion / Eclectic, Asian
- Executive Chef: Richard Sandoval
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We are happy to cater a memorable menu of Chef Richard Sandoval's Latin-Asian cuisine to outside locations.
- Private Party Facilities: Zengo is a sophisticated blend of Latin-Asian styles and flavors. Our beautiful two story building, offers a space full of versatility, with capacity ranging from groups of 10 to 450 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Tim Gabel, Nora Bankert 2023932929x
- Special Events: HAPPY HOUR Monday-Saturday from 3-8PM at the bar/lounge.
A word from Zengo - D.C.
Zengo, which translates to "give 'n take", merges flavors of Chef Richard Sandoval's heritage with his passion for Asian cuisine. This melding of flavors and cultures results in intriguing shareable dishes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Zengo - D.C. reviews from OpenTable diners
273 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (148)good for groups (128)great for brunch (107)special occasion (85)hot spot (81)vibrant bar scene (46)neighborhood gem (45)great for lunch (45)romantic (33)late-night find (20)notable wine list (12)scenic view (8)great for outdoor dining (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Great food, and great set upOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Looking at the restaurant from the street it does not look very big, and I wanted to assume that it was going to be small and cramped, but once we were seated I realized that they did a great job designing and arranging the place. The food was also terrific. It came fairly quick and service was good for a very busy Saturday evening. Overall I would recommend this place to anyone wanting something a little different.Special Features:
- Sensational!ChocoLalaVIPDined on 10/18/2014We loved apps, dinners, desserts! An all-around fantastic experience/meal....thank you!Special Features:
- TiffanyDined on 10/18/2014Went for brunch and the food was just as delicious as I thought it would be. I subtracted a star because our 1st 2 plates were cold and they came out one by one with us waiting for the next small plate. The waiter quickly rectified the issue of us being served cold plates. He also kept out mimosas full the entire time. Also 2 separate dining tables began arguing, likely due to too much alcohol. No one came over and separated them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!MsMalDined on 10/16/2014Really good food! We loved the mix of the Asian and Latin flavors. For 2 of us we got 4 small plates, with 3 tacos or such each, which was perfect. We went before the Caps game and they were able to get us in and out in time. We look forward to coming back here.Special Features:
- Great foodJhs1Dined on 10/15/2014I was surprised how great the food was. I was expecting generic food like Clyde's, but the food was fantastic. It's a Mexican, Asian fusion in the most creative way. Want there twice with friends. Loved it both times.Special Features:
- Great find!OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 10/14/2014This was my first time here, and will definitely be back! a new favorite in the "China town" area...! The food is AMAZING!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Waiters who steal!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/13/2014The waiter helped himself to two extra dollars on the tip. I remember I specifically didn't tip him well because of the poor service. I didn't bother calling the restaurant to complain...he obviously needed the money more than I did. I won't come back here (even though the brunch was really nice)...I don't want to come to a place that hires just anyone...criminals in particular.Special Features:
- Too SpicyTooSaxyVIPDined on 10/12/2014Used a voucher that included cocktails, appetizers, and two small plates. This place is a Latin Asian fusion foods. The appetizers were chef's choice and they were a papaya salad and edamame. The salad had a bit too much dressing which was a spicy sauce common in Thai foods. The edamame were roasted, overly salted. The small plates we picked scallop ceviche; chef chose octupus bibimbap. The scallops were boiled before hand and not cooked per se in the acid. The acid was nothing but more spicy fish sauce similar if not the same as was in the salad. The worse meal was the bibimbap. My partner and I agreed it was way too spicy for consumption. We picked what little meat and left the rest. Best part of meal were the cocktails. Not coming back.Special Features:
- astoudmireVIPDined on 10/12/2014They have a nice variety of free flowing bloody mary/maria, mimosas and sangrias and a wait staff that will keep your glasses filled. You can loose count. Take the Metro to be safe. As for the food, there was enough variety on the menu that most will find at least a couple winners. The ancho cured bacon, salmon, meatballs, short rib hash, potstickers, arepas, and plantains were worth a repeat for my tastebuds.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun Brunch!scm1133VIPDined on 10/12/2014We went to Zengo for the unlimited small plates and mimosas during brunch. It was great! The service was welcoming and the atmosphere was fun. We did not feel rushed as we ordered a few rounds of small plates. Our drinks were constantly refilled throughout our stay. The thai chicken empanadas and the shrimp and vegetable dumplings were fantastic - and there were a lot of vegetarian dishes to compliment the menu. We would absolutely return for another meal!Special Features:
- delicious all you can eat brunchDCTexanDined on 10/12/2014Would highly recommend this great all you can brunch to friends, and have even brought many visitors and family members to this spot. Great tapas, drinks are flowy and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bottomless brunchJenGDined on 10/12/2014My wife and I are addicted to Zengo's bottomless brunch and often take out-of-town guests to Zengo on the weekend. The small plates are great for sharing and incredibly filling. The passion fruit mimosas are unbelievably tasty. It's hard for me to pick a favorite dish because they're all so great, but we never pass up the Angry Zengo Roll, salmon benedict, short rib hash, lobster grits, and plantains. The waitstaff are wonderfully friendly and quick to refill a drink or bring out additional plates (of food, but also clean plates!).Special Features:
- Great Birthday DinnerWGR2WGWDined on 10/11/2014We had nothing but positive things to say about the small plates we shared at Zengo this weekend. My friend is a wimp about spice so a couple of dishes had her lunging for water, but the flavors were great. Who knew latin and asian fusion was a thing? The drinks at the bar were perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ZengoTomSDined on 10/11/2014the food was excellent as was the service. No complaints. Three of us ate from the tappas menu, had wine and dessert for ~$150. Would definitely recommend this restaurant!Special Features:
- BEST DC BRUNCHOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014I have always had excellent experiences with this Brunch! Would suggest to anyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner before Caps GameACapsfanDined on 10/9/2014Great food, great service...They knew that we had only a certain amount of time before the puck was dropped. Their attention to our time was great. Everyone really enjoyed the evening and their Mojito's were wonderful.. We'll definitely return,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunchTeaWDined on 10/5/2014The food and service was great we enjoyed celebrating my friend's birthdaySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/5/2014The food here is magnificent. The service superb. The multiple mimosas cheerily refilled before completely empty. This is a fabulous place for brunch. We completely enjoyed ourselves and would recommend Zengo to anyone who wants a fabulous brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Weekend BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/5/2014I recently enjoyed my second weekend brunch at Zengo and both experiences were phenomenal. Although the $39 flat brunch rate originally had me hesitant about trying it out, it was most definitely worth every penny. Someone was around to fill my mimosa glass as soon as it was empty and we enjoyed many delicious small plates. The service was excellent and the atmosphere was modern and chic. I will definitely be dining here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food & drinkDosMasMargDined on 10/4/2014Love the fin atmosphere here. Tapas-style lets you try things and return for 2nds! Its a bit pricey and worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food...FoodieVIPDined on 10/3/2014All the appetizers specially the duck taco were tasty... and the short rib as main meal was also very tender.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpectedly awesomeWineandDineDined on 10/1/2014The Asian Latin fusion food here was excellent, a total surprise. The staff was attentive, the ambiance was great. The bar area was large, albeit typically DC noisy but the dining area was quiet and conversation was easy. Location to the Metro makes this easy spot easy to get to. Have already recommended this restaurant to friends!Special Features:
- Great food, questionable serviceaketektDined on 10/1/2014I had dinner here with my dad and his wife. We found the food to be interesting and excellent. The place was trendy and therefore noisy. Generally not an issue for me, but it did make conversation a bit difficult. We were somewhat disappointed in the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tiresome and Very LoudFoodieDined on 9/30/2014It is frustrating when a restaurant impart how their 'ideas' upon you when you dine. Zengo wants you to share your meal with others, and so they dribble out the individual dishes over a period of time. Expecting business people to have to time to do this is unreasonable and awkward, as we are usually dining with clients or colleagues whom we may not feel all that crazy about sharing food plates with. They should at least make it an option when the waiter comes to take the order, rather than leaving the awkward situation of one person sitting there with a salad while the other waits for their dish. Also - perhaps one should ask if you'd the customer would like the full plate boxed to go before removing it while they are in the restroom?
- We can't recommend Zengo.Ray1Dined on 9/29/2014Food was inconsistent. Same for service. Asked for sauces on the side, but waiter forgot to bring sauces. Two times served gin and tonic instead of the martini that was ordered. Short ribs were dry without sauces to mask the flavor. Duck tacos were very nice.Special Features:
- Best brunch spot in DCAnnieDined on 9/28/2014Have been to Zengo multiple times, all for brunch. The best $35 you will ever spend. I've always had fantastic service- the delicious food comes out quickly, the drinks are always full, and unlike their sister restaurants (El Centro DF and Masa 14), they don't give you a time limit for brunch. If you haven't been, definitely try it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food Lacking For Such a Restaurant.EasyToPleaseDined on 9/27/2014Ceviche was by far the worst I've had. Chicken tasted sodium packed like something you would find at TGI Fridays. Short Ribs were tough. When I hear braised, I think very tender. It's a shame. Service was wonderful and the atmosphere is nice. For the price of it all, steer clear.Special Features:
- Love the fusion vibe!KeyKeyDined on 9/27/2014Zengo is a great place to grab a small bite to eat :)! The sushi and Ceviche were off the hook!Special Features:
- pabafree95Dined on 9/27/2014slow and incompetent kitchen. waiter was fine, but kitchen confused orders and forgot 2 orders.Special Features:
- Excellent Dining ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/27/2014My boyfriend and I had a wonderful dinner at Zengo. The food was delicious, our server was attentive, and the atmosphere was fun and lively. I would go back in a heartbeat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely DeliciousLuckycharms412VIPDined on 9/26/2014Everything we had was delicious but the shrimp and vegetable pot stickers and carnitas noodles were exceptionally tasty. The food had strong flavors and combined the Asian and Hispanic ingredients wonderfully. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Every dish a winner & great drinksBabichexDined on 9/26/2014We took our neighbors to dine pre-game and they were totally impressed with the menu, the drink options, the atmosphere (we had a window seat at sunset) and the wonderful tastiness of every item we ordered. The areas, the empanadas, and the lettuce wraps were all great, but the duck tacos were the star. ("Radish?" "Yes, radish."). They were blown away by the tequila flight option and raved over the classic margarita. The Day of the Dead beers were plentiful and my Acai Capirhina was marvelous. Thanks for making such a great impression on our friends. We all will be back during the upcoming season and beyond!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy but great food and servicePaulDined on 9/25/2014Very noisy large group in the downstairs bar but food was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Return visitKDWDOEDined on 9/25/2014We always go to Zengo before catching a concert at the Verizon Center or the occasional brunch. We have never been disappointed, the food, service, and ambiance of Zengo remains at a very high level.Special Features:
- Splurge brunchYolandaDined on 9/21/2014Great food and ambiance, but pretty bad service. Understandable for bottomless/unlimited brunch, but it's still really frustrating to have to ask multiple times to get a drink.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Review:OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/20/2014The food wasn't horrible. We took recommendations from our server and everything he recommended wasn't good at all.Special Features:
- Great FoodDCFoodieDined on 9/19/2014Margaritas, sushi, seafood. What's not to love? The restaurant upstairs is fun and spacious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very noisy; poor acousticsHarryVIPDined on 9/16/2014I guess the noise level is a sign of success, but sadly, we can no longer partake. Between the music volume, the noisy good cheer of patrons, and the poor acoustics, it's become impossible to carry on a conversation without straining vocal chords. Our loss.
- Romantic even with kid in towmickeysloveDined on 9/13/2014We had tickets to a concert at the Verizon Center and brought our 11 year old daughter with us. We were one of the first ones in the restaurant but by the time we left the place had filled up. We were a bit concerned about finding something for our daughter to eat that she would like (fusion style is not one she is familiar with) but we ended up ordering 4-5 small plates for the 3 of us to share and it was great. Biggest winners were the sushi, chicken empanadas, ahi tuna tacos, and the shrimp fried rice. Wine selection was not elaborate but both wines by the glass we selected were enjoyable.Special Features:
- Good serviceLeokev23Dined on 9/13/2014Great service ,good food ....Ill definetly comeback....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.