Zengo - D.C.
781 7th St. NW
Washington, DC 20001Neighborhood:
Fusion / EclecticPrice: $30 and under
Zengo - D.C.
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.richardsandoval.com/zengodc
- Phone: 2023932929x
- Hours of Operation:
Happy Hour: Monday - Friday 3-8pm;
Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:30am-2:30pm;
Brunch: Saturday and Sunday 10:00am-3:00pm;
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday 5:00pm-10:00pm; Friday & Saturday 5:00pm-12:00am;
Bar/Lounge: Monday - Thursday 3:00pm-11:00pm; Friday & Saturday3:00pm - 2:30am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Fusion / Eclectic, Asian
- Executive Chef: Richard Sandoval
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We are happy to cater a memorable menu of Chef Richard Sandoval's Latin-Asian cuisine to outside locations.
- Private Party Facilities: Zengo is a sophisticated blend of Latin-Asian styles and flavors. Our beautiful two story building, offers a space full of versatility, with capacity ranging from groups of 10 to 450 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Tim Gabel, Nora Bankert 2023932929x
- Special Events: HAPPY HOUR Monday-Saturday from 3-8PM at the bar/lounge.
A word from Zengo - D.C.
Zengo, which translates to "give 'n take", merges flavors of Chef Richard Sandoval's heritage with his passion for Asian cuisine. This melding of flavors and cultures results in intriguing shareable dishes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Zengo - D.C. reviews from OpenTable diners
261 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (142)good for groups (118)great for brunch (97)hot spot (83)special occasion (80)vibrant bar scene (48)great for lunch (46)romantic (41)neighborhood gem (37)late-night find (18)notable wine list (11)scenic view (6)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Best brunch spot in DCOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/28/2014Have been to Zengo multiple times, all for brunch. The best $35 you will ever spend. I've always had fantastic service- the delicious food comes out quickly, the drinks are always full, and unlike their sister restaurants (El Centro DF and Masa 14), they don't give you a time limit for brunch. If you haven't been, definitely try it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food Lacking For Such a Restaurant.EasyToPleaseDined on 9/27/2014Ceviche was by far the worst I've had. Chicken tasted sodium packed like something you would find at TGI Fridays. Short Ribs were tough. When I hear braised, I think very tender. It's a shame. Service was wonderful and the atmosphere is nice. For the price of it all, steer clear.Special Features:
- Love the fusion vibe!KeyKeyDined on 9/27/2014Zengo is a great place to grab a small bite to eat :)! The sushi and Ceviche were off the hook!Special Features:
- pabafree95Dined on 9/27/2014slow and incompetent kitchen. waiter was fine, but kitchen confused orders and forgot 2 orders.Special Features:
- Excellent Dining ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/27/2014My boyfriend and I had a wonderful dinner at Zengo. The food was delicious, our server was attentive, and the atmosphere was fun and lively. I would go back in a heartbeat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely DeliciousLuckycharms412VIPDined on 9/26/2014Everything we had was delicious but the shrimp and vegetable pot stickers and carnitas noodles were exceptionally tasty. The food had strong flavors and combined the Asian and Hispanic ingredients wonderfully. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Every dish a winner & great drinksBabichexDined on 9/26/2014We took our neighbors to dine pre-game and they were totally impressed with the menu, the drink options, the atmosphere (we had a window seat at sunset) and the wonderful tastiness of every item we ordered. The areas, the empanadas, and the lettuce wraps were all great, but the duck tacos were the star. ("Radish?" "Yes, radish."). They were blown away by the tequila flight option and raved over the classic margarita. The Day of the Dead beers were plentiful and my Acai Capirhina was marvelous. Thanks for making such a great impression on our friends. We all will be back during the upcoming season and beyond!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy but great food and servicePaulDined on 9/25/2014Very noisy large group in the downstairs bar but food was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Return visitKDWDOEDined on 9/25/2014We always go to Zengo before catching a concert at the Verizon Center or the occasional brunch. We have never been disappointed, the food, service, and ambiance of Zengo remains at a very high level.Special Features:
- Splurge brunchYolandaDined on 9/21/2014Great food and ambiance, but pretty bad service. Understandable for bottomless/unlimited brunch, but it's still really frustrating to have to ask multiple times to get a drink.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Review:OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/20/2014The food wasn't horrible. We took recommendations from our server and everything he recommended wasn't good at all.Special Features:
- Great FoodDCFoodieDined on 9/19/2014Margaritas, sushi, seafood. What's not to love? The restaurant upstairs is fun and spacious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very noisy; poor acousticsHarryVIPDined on 9/16/2014I guess the noise level is a sign of success, but sadly, we can no longer partake. Between the music volume, the noisy good cheer of patrons, and the poor acoustics, it's become impossible to carry on a conversation without straining vocal chords. Our loss.
- Romantic even with kid in towmickeysloveDined on 9/13/2014We had tickets to a concert at the Verizon Center and brought our 11 year old daughter with us. We were one of the first ones in the restaurant but by the time we left the place had filled up. We were a bit concerned about finding something for our daughter to eat that she would like (fusion style is not one she is familiar with) but we ended up ordering 4-5 small plates for the 3 of us to share and it was great. Biggest winners were the sushi, chicken empanadas, ahi tuna tacos, and the shrimp fried rice. Wine selection was not elaborate but both wines by the glass we selected were enjoyable.Special Features:
- Good serviceLeokev23Dined on 9/13/2014Great service ,good food ....Ill definetly comeback....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Brunch SelectionOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/13/2014Loved the variety of food and drink, and service was superb. Took advantage of the bottomless brunch by arriving at 10:30am and staying through its end. Worth it!Special Features:
- Great food and energy but too noisyBlakeDined on 9/12/2014Zengo is a DC classic hot spot--where people from all walks of life around the city come together to wine and dine. I love it for the small plate, fun food, and diverse clientele. The new bar renovation has made it so much louder, and while the upstairs dining area isn't as loud, it's missing an intimacy element that would greatly enhance the experience.Special Features:
- Zengo No Go202MurphyDined on 9/11/2014Food and service were horrible. The railing up to 2nd floor should be wiped down multiple times during the day. Expand your sushi options. Service was horrible we had to ask repeatedly for water and our check. Not coming back - ever!
- My new favorite brunchJasonDined on 9/7/2014Let me start by saying that I never write reviews because I'm never really that impressed with a place to take the time. That changed with Zengo. Great location, almost no wait time, attentive but not overly bothersome service, excellent food, great selection, delicious mimosas, and a beautiful space. The $40 per person brunch gets you unlimited small plates and bottomless beverages. I found it well worth the cost - and you have to try the guava mimosas!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed the foodCassieDined on 9/6/2014I really was pleased with my dining experience. The food was delicious and just spicy enough.Special Features:
- Delicious brunchVeggiefoodieDined on 9/6/2014Came here for the bottomless brunch- had a great time and ate a lot! Food was excellent and waitress was nice. Guava mimosa is the best drink on their menu :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Post-movie diningFormerFedVIPDined on 9/2/2014Dropped in after seeing "November Man" at the Regal Cinema. Made it inside in and to our table overlooking 7th Street in time to watch the rain begin. I got the Shrimp Lettuce Wraps and Pork Carnitas with wok-cooked noodles. Both very tasty. My girlfriend got the spicy Edamame XO and the Lamb Shank, which were also good. She got an order of the lobster roll to take home for the next day. We ended our meal with several flights of tequila and one of rum, which certainly should be tried. Had to point out that the bill priced those higher than the menu, but that was quickly corrected. We look forward to retuning to Zengo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/31/2014Waiter was way too busy, barely visited out table as a result. There were very inebriated customers during brunch and the staff didn't know how to handle them. Most of the food came very fast but were very greasy/very salty. I'd say 3/10 dishes were good. It's good for quick and bottomless food and drinks.Special Features:
- All Time faveOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/31/2014Consistency in food quality and taste, service and value. One of my all time favorite DC restaurants!Special Features:
- PerfectRichDined on 8/31/2014I celebrated my son's birthday with a brunch at Zengo ... it was fabulous. The menu scared some of us, but proved to be liked by all. We all left with smiles and a buzz.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow!WerebonerDined on 8/31/2014The restaurant did not look like much on the outside coming from the Gallery Place metro station, but when we entered the building it was just...wow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bottomless BrunchkeliaynDined on 8/31/2014My husband and I tried a variety of drink options and plates included in the bottomless brunch. He was a fan of their bloody mary, but found the bloody maria resembled cocktail sauce (we ordered the shrimp ceviche to take advantage of that fact & they paired well). With regard to the small plates, the duck chilaquiles were our only disappointment (due to a scant amount of duck and lack of sauce on the accompanying bed of chips). We loved the brussel sprouts (though VERY salty), the short rib hash was delicious, and the two dishes that required seconds were the salmon benedict and the angry zengo roll. Arrive early for quicker service, or arrive later for a more laid back experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for LunchslwadeDined on 8/26/2014Went with co-workers for lunch not expecting much but was pleasantly surprised. The food was wonderful and I especially liked the Achiote-Hoisin Pork Arepas. I must note the french fries that came with the Cubano Sandwich were to die for. I'm not sure what spice they used to season the fries but they were the best fries I've had.Special Features:
- Fabulous Server - RobertothegreengypsyDined on 8/24/2014My sister and I brought our parents to Zengo for a 40th Anniversary celebration during brunch. We picked it because of the bottomless option to choose as many things off the menu as you like, and for the flowing mimosas! The place was REALLY LOUD, even though we were sitting at a table in the corner next to a window (great view!). The best part of all was that we had a fabulous server, Roberto. He was extremely busy, and pulled in a million directions, but hadn't it with grace. He congratulated our mom and dad on their longtime marriage commitment, and shared a bit about his own family. It made all the difference to have an attentive, relatable person guiding us through the dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bottomless brunchFoodcomaDined on 8/23/2014The food here was absolutely amazing and did not disappoint. I had been here for dinner and was very pleased so I knew brunch had to be just as good. The service was fantastic. The cocktails kept being filled without having to ask which in my book is a win during a bottomless brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- convenient to verizon center, but .Xpat4everDined on 8/19/2014This place was very convenient for a pre-show (Verizon center) dinner. The food was sort of interesting although nothing fantastic. Don't get the Duck Fried Rice as it was very bland and dried out. I would try to find another venue next time.
- Very nice!adam71Dined on 8/16/2014The experience was great. When I told our server that we were there for our anniversary, she brought us sparkling wine with dessert, which was appreciated. We'll be back for the late night dancing!Special Features:
- UnimpressedemilyDined on 8/15/2014My boyfriend and I decided to try out Zengo thanks to their awesome looking menu, and the upcoming restaurant week. We both had really good drinks (lychee martini and sake sangria), but we were unimpressed completely with the food. The appetizers we had were alright, but our main courses were exceptionally sweet and the lamb my boyfriend ordered was almost inedible. Thankfully the waiter offered him a different dish - the tofu - which was fine, but also quite sweet and neither dish was spicy which they were advertised as. The desserts were also very "meh" - the churro was doughy, not crispy and the avocado panacotta was alright. Would not recommend except for drinks and appetizers.Special Features:
- Always a great choiceArlFoodieDined on 8/15/2014The food is consistently delicious and enjoy the cocktail list. One my favorites in dc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vegans & meat-eatersMAWGDined on 8/15/2014We had a party of 4, 2 vegans and 2 omnivores. It was Friday morning, and we needed a guaranteed place to eat Friday night. Zengo took reservations. Their food was fantastic; the vegan food had as much thought put into it as did the regular dishes. Highly suggested.Special Features:
- Not like it used to bebblyDined on 8/15/2014I had not been to Zengo's in a long time, it seems that to menu has changed to a point that I will not be returning. There were not enough Asian/Latin fusion choices anymore. I really did not enjoy my food at all the waiter was slow.
- Latin Asian Fusion??BettySoupDined on 8/13/2014As an Asian, the taste is hard to like. It's obviously a popular place, but the food was unimpressive. Server kept up selling me to get something other than tap water.Special Features:
- Great service!LorelaiDined on 8/12/2014Went with a friend for restaurant week. There was a mistake on the menu and the waitress gave us complimentary drinks as a result!Special Features:
- Really good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/9/2014Entire vegetarian menu & great wait staff.........Special Features:
- ExcellentGoodfoodDined on 8/8/2014Great food. Took my family on vacation, and now one of our favorites. We'll return when back in DC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.