Zengo - D.C.
781 7th St. NW
Washington, DC 20001Neighborhood:
Fusion / EclecticPrice: $30 and under
Zengo - D.C.
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.richardsandoval.com/zengodc
- Phone: (202) 393-2929
- Hours of Operation:
Happy Hour: Monday - Friday 3-8pm;
Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:30am-2:30pm;
Brunch: Saturday and Sunday 10:00am-3:00pm;
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday 5:00pm-10:00pm; Friday & Saturday 5:00pm-12:00am;
Bar/Lounge: Monday - Thursday 3:00pm-11:00pm; Friday & Saturday3:00pm - 2:30am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Fusion / Eclectic, Asian
- Executive Chef: Richard Sandoval
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We are happy to cater a memorable menu of Chef Richard Sandoval's Latin-Asian cuisine to outside locations.
- Private Party Facilities: Zengo is a sophisticated blend of Latin-Asian styles and flavors. Our beautiful two story building, offers a space full of versatility, with capacity ranging from groups of 10 to 450 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Tim Gabel, Nora Bankert 2023932929x
- Special Events: HAPPY HOUR Monday-Saturday from 3-8PM at the bar/lounge.
A word from Zengo - D.C.
Zengo, which translates to "give 'n take", merges flavors of Chef Richard Sandoval's heritage with his passion for Asian cuisine. This melding of flavors and cultures results in intriguing shareable dishes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Zengo - D.C. reviews from OpenTable diners
290 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (159)good for groups (141)great for brunch (101)hot spot (86)special occasion (82)vibrant bar scene (56)neighborhood gem (53)great for lunch (38)romantic (32)late-night find (24)notable wine list (12)scenic view (10)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Great Food but not inexpensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/21/2014Continue to visit pre Wizard games. Great food. Disappointed as we asked for our usual table by the window thru Open table and they claimed they first did not have the request and when I showed my reservation, they then said it was unavailable but from start to finish the table sat empty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food is excellent and the waitress outstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/21/2014Zengo never disappoints! From a vibrant Happy Hour to a delicious and satisfying dinner, these folks know just how to serve up the most tasty dishes in town. Their blend of sauces into successful risks. The crunchy shrimp, vegetaniano rolls, and shrimp potstickers you simply must try! I am so impressed by the knowledge of the waitress. She served up the recommendations quite seemlessly. I am certainly a Zengo food fan!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Used to be a favoriteMaddieVIPDined on 11/18/2014I used to really enjoy this restaurant. The food was mediocre and the service was terrible. I will not be returning.
- the best combination and latin and asian cuisine!kathyDined on 11/16/2014I've been to Zengo about 4 times now and it NEVER disappoints. I've only gone for brunch, but the selection of food, drinks and the atmosphere never disappoint. everything is fl\\spiced to perfection, and plated gorgeously even though it's a free flow kitchen. I've always ordered more than one plate at a time and never had to wait too long even when i've gone with large groups. there's something for everyone, and everyone should try it! Oh and the Location is PERFECT for those that like to brunch and metro!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KayBrooksDined on 11/15/2014The waiters/waitresses were hilarious and very helpful in helping choose dishes based on preference. The ambiance is amazing and is perfect for brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bottomless brunchJulietita2014Dined on 11/15/2014Very nice brunch with a variety of small dishes which are fun to share. The food is very good. The fusion between South American and Asian food is mostly excellent, with one exception that day : our waffle bites had a weir looking green filling and were overcooked. Beware of the bottomless drinks : the delicious guava and mango mixes are more inebriating than one would think and our waiter refilled our glasses as soon as they were empty. Service was very friendly and excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousIlovediningoutDined on 11/14/2014Had one of the best meals of my life. Quite loud, but that can be overlooked. Best part of the best meal: duck confit tacos. The tofu steaks were also amazing, I had some great scallops but stole several bites of my daughters tofu. Wish I could try everything on the menu- unexpected and wonderful flavor combinations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mexsushi at its finestDrLALAVIPDined on 11/14/2014The food is always great here as are the cocktails. I'm always happy with the sushi, entrees, dessert, and margarita options at Zengo. I live in TX now and make it a point to visit Zengo when I'm back in the District.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- radsDined on 11/14/2014The restaurant is upstairs so it's away from the noise downstairs. The food is interesting and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstanding food and serviceCoachandcoDined on 11/12/2014I love this restaurant, the grilled tofu, the cod and salmon especially and cannot imagine eating in the area and going anywhere else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place1oldsrfrVIPDined on 11/9/2014Way too noisy; food and service excellent. Special Baja menu worth the trip downtownSpecial Features:
- Wonderful712gstreetDined on 11/9/2014I am not big on words, but it was a wonderful meal. Strongly suggest to anyone looking for a vibrant and fun filled experience. Bravo to the wait staff that made our evening special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday BrunchLeahVIPDined on 11/9/2014Sunday brunch is soooo good! I went with a girlfriend and I was pleasantly surprised by the choices that we had for brunch. We had to rush over to the Bobby Flay cooking show at the Convention Center. The waiter was great in accommodating us and the food was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique Dining ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/8/2014My wife and I went to Zengos on our night away from the kids in DC. We had a great meal. The combination of Latin and Asian flavors was awesome. Would highly recommend the tuna tacos and the kimchi bok choy (it was fresh, not fermented) and the bok choy was grilled for that smoky flavor. We did not order entrees, but in stead took a "tapas" like approach to the meal.Special Features:
- Good as usual...dinendishdivaDined on 11/8/2014I've been here several times over the years and have always enjoyed the food. I usually get the short ribs but I got the pork noodles this time and they were very good! I was stuffed. My only complaint is the service was a bit slower than usual-not sure why as the restaurant wasn't full (think our server just forgot about us). Had track down the server to order and well as remind him about my wine. But other than that- great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible meld of flavorsellencVIPDined on 11/8/2014It was our first experience and we really enjoyed everything we ordered. The small plates worked for and the blend of sauces & spices was just scrumptious! We didn't realize it was a hot spot pre-Verizon event but our service was great, energetic crowd and once they fans left for the game, it was even better. Would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular MealBarefootTobesDined on 11/8/2014Our sushi appetizers were superb. Nice selection of cocktails and wine, but the beer selection was a little disappointing. Entres were exceptional- especially the crispy tofu with bok choy. Highly recommend the Asian pear empanadas. Parking was a challenge- the place is near the Verizon Center, and we were there on the night of a Caps game. But it's easily accessible by metro. We'll definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bottomless brunch was soooo good!NewsieDined on 11/8/2014charring is a special touch on the edamame; shrimp potstickers are cooked perfectly; green papaya salad is crisp and just spicy enough; bacon fried rice is super smoky and delicious but a little light on the kimchi; crispy tofu has perfect texture, tons of flavor; achote-hoisin pork arepas are NOM; brussels sprouts are SO flavorful and delicious, but some in our party found them a little salty; plantains are AMAZINGLY sweet, pillowy and creamy -- DELISH; fingerling potatoes have good flavor and slight crunch but didn't knock my socks off; waffles are yummy little bites, not too sweet but could used a BIT more sauce. i ate waaaaaaaaaaay too much. couldn't drink b/c i'm pregnant, but the drinks look and smell amazing too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible HostessOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014I am not one to dislike service however I was greatly offended by the hostess that brought us to our table on the second floor. Extremely impatient, judgement and overall unfriendly. Everything else was good.Special Features:
- dupontcircleDined on 11/6/2014Food is quite good, but the place is noisy. Also, more attention could be paid to making sure that food arrives so that no one is sitting with nothing to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A pleasant surpriseLAKatzVIPDined on 11/4/2014I am always looking for good restaurants for an early dinner before an event at the Verizon Center. Although Zengo has been around for a while, I have never been there until this past Tuesday. Four of us had dinner before a Caps game and it was fantastic. The food was all delicious, the selections great and we had wonderful service. I will definitely be returning to explore more of the menu.Special Features:
- Fun BrunchJPFreezeDined on 11/2/2014Great brunch. Nice to have a variety of drinking options included, as all RS spots do.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 Star ServiceBestBrunchinDCDined on 11/2/2014This was the best brunch I've had in the city, and I've been to quite a few. The server, Rudy, super awesome! The food, delicious! The plating, outstanding! The drinks, and selection, unreal! I already have 2 reservations booked for the next 2 weeks. Highly recommend Zengo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bottomless BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/1/2014Overall a great time. However, had to ask 4 times and wait over 1 hour for a dish that literally takes 5 minutes or less to make. I've had bottomless brunch here before when it's even busier and have never had to wait and remind the waitress this much.Special Features:
- Tasty eats, but super spicy drinksJulesDined on 10/31/2014Everything on the menu tasted wonderful: chicken Thai empanadas, charred tuna tacos, the fried rice... It was all delish. The portions are a little more like tapas so order accordingly-it's never fun to go home when your tummy is growling. Other than that, the mango mojito is on point, but the jalapeño margarita sounds good in theory..however, even for a spicy lover it was way to strong- a lot more line juice should be added!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, great atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/31/2014My 2nd time here and I had another great experience. I will definitely be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as always!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/31/2014Had a special night planned with my Daughter and started at Zengo. As always the experience was excellent from check-in to departure. Service was excellent and we loved exploring your menu. Can't wait to see you again!Special Features:
- Latin-Asian Fusion AdventureRoadwarriorDined on 10/31/2014It was one of the few top-rated restaurants in the Verizon Center area with available reservations before the Fleetwood Mac concert. We had previewed the menu online and had a good idea of what we wanted to try. We shared the 2 ceviche tasting plate. Two different flavor bases but both were bright and fresh and left us with a clean palate and looking forward to the next dishes. I had the duck confit tacos. The taco shell is a cleverly fashioned paper-thin round of daikon radish and the duck was delicious. My wife had the Zengo fried rice and was very happy with the Latin-inspired cilantro flavor vs. being soaked in the traditional soy sauce. Desert was the chocolate tart with cocoa nibs and poblano pepper.Great service and delicious food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Uneven to say the leastMarleyVIPDined on 10/31/2014The bottom line is that we will probably return, but there were issues, mostly related to the bizarre and not well-functioning ladies' room, the lack of dry gin, and the rush with which our table was cleared (other than the over-eager clearing staff, the wait staff was excellent and extremely well-costumed on Halloween.) Food was excellent -- try the duck tacos. Not what you expect, but scrumptious.Special Features:
- Amazing spot for lunch dateJaziJDined on 10/31/2014The food was awesome, I had the hot box with tandoori chicken while he had the lunch special, which came with soup, lo mein noodles, & samples of 5 Asian/Latin tapas. Very good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dim Sum Lunch ... OMGoodness!TimDVIPDined on 10/30/2014This is our very favorite spot in DC to visit for lunch/dinner. Every time we are in town, it is a must stop. This time we tried the dim sum and were so impressed and amazed by the blending of flavors and just all around awesomeness of the food. Spectacular does not even begin to describe this meal and restaurant. Really wish there was one in KC.Special Features:
- Excellent AmbianceGemmyVIPDined on 10/26/2014My dining companions and I enjoyed our meal, but found the menu choices limited. The entrées were very well done, but the appetizers and small plates, although tempting, did not seem to be worth the price so we kept our order simple. Excellent scallops and short rib dishes, the bartender recommended a truly delicious wine, and the ambiance upstairs was cozy, elegant, and chic all at the same time (avoid the lower level whenever possible). I would definitely return for a date or another dinner with friends for the vibe.Special Features:
- BEST BOTTOMLESS BRUNCHBottomlessDined on 10/26/2014Title says it all. This place has everything, incredible food, equally great and entertaining staff, eye-catching decor and of course bottomless mimosas. Whether I'm hosting guests from out of town or simply want to fill the Sunday brunch void, Zengo is THE restaurant of choice.Special Features:
- Great brunchStellarServiceDined on 10/25/2014Celebrated a friend's birthday over brunch. Waiter was very energetic which matched the vibe of the group. Eager to please and give us a quality experience focused on the birthday girl. Excellent food to boot!Special Features:
- MehMikeDined on 10/21/2014Meh. Nothing wrong, but nothing notable. They have some bar seating up by the kitchen which could be fun place to sit. Good drinks downstairs, but the food...meh.
- Great food, and great set upYoungFoodieDined on 10/18/2014Looking at the restaurant from the street it does not look very big, and I wanted to assume that it was going to be small and cramped, but once we were seated I realized that they did a great job designing and arranging the place. The food was also terrific. It came fairly quick and service was good for a very busy Saturday evening. Overall I would recommend this place to anyone wanting something a little different.Special Features:
- Sensational!ChocoLalaVIPDined on 10/18/2014We loved apps, dinners, desserts! An all-around fantastic experience/meal....thank you!Special Features:
- TiffanyDined on 10/18/2014Went for brunch and the food was just as delicious as I thought it would be. I subtracted a star because our 1st 2 plates were cold and they came out one by one with us waiting for the next small plate. The waiter quickly rectified the issue of us being served cold plates. He also kept out mimosas full the entire time. Also 2 separate dining tables began arguing, likely due to too much alcohol. No one came over and separated them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!MsMalDined on 10/16/2014Really good food! We loved the mix of the Asian and Latin flavors. For 2 of us we got 4 small plates, with 3 tacos or such each, which was perfect. We went before the Caps game and they were able to get us in and out in time. We look forward to coming back here.Special Features:
- Great foodJhs1Dined on 10/15/2014I was surprised how great the food was. I was expecting generic food like Clyde's, but the food was fantastic. It's a Mexican, Asian fusion in the most creative way. Want there twice with friends. Loved it both times.Special Features: