Zengo - D.C.
781 7th St. NW
Washington, DC 20001Neighborhood:
Fusion / EclecticPrice: $30 and under
Zengo - D.C.
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.richardsandoval.com/zengodc
- Phone: 2023932929x
- Hours of Operation:
Happy Hour: Monday - Friday 3-8pm;
Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:30am-2:30pm;
Brunch: Saturday and Sunday 10:00am-3:00pm;
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday 5:00pm-10:00pm; Friday & Saturday 5:00pm-12:00am;
Bar/Lounge: Monday - Thursday 3:00pm-11:00pm; Friday & Saturday3:00pm - 2:30am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Fusion / Eclectic, Asian
- Executive Chef: Richard Sandoval
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We are happy to cater a memorable menu of Chef Richard Sandoval's Latin-Asian cuisine to outside locations.
- Private Party Facilities: Zengo is a sophisticated blend of Latin-Asian styles and flavors. Our beautiful two story building, offers a space full of versatility, with capacity ranging from groups of 10 to 450 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Tim Gabel, Nora Bankert 2023932929x
- Special Events: HAPPY HOUR Monday-Saturday from 3-8PM at the bar/lounge.
A word from Zengo - D.C.
Zengo, which translates to "give 'n take", merges flavors of Chef Richard Sandoval's heritage with his passion for Asian cuisine. This melding of flavors and cultures results in intriguing shareable dishes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Zengo - D.C. reviews from OpenTable diners
251 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (137)good for groups (111)great for brunch (97)hot spot (80)special occasion (79)vibrant bar scene (47)great for lunch (44)romantic (41)neighborhood gem (35)late-night find (18)notable wine list (10)scenic view (6)kid-friendly (3)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Very noisy; poor acousticsHarryVIPDined on 9/16/2014I guess the noise level is a sign of success, but sadly, we can no longer partake. Between the music volume, the noisy good cheer of patrons, and the poor acoustics, it's become impossible to carry on a conversation without straining vocal chords. Our loss.
- Romantic even with kid in towmickeysloveDined on 9/13/2014We had tickets to a concert at the Verizon Center and brought our 11 year old daughter with us. We were one of the first ones in the restaurant but by the time we left the place had filled up. We were a bit concerned about finding something for our daughter to eat that she would like (fusion style is not one she is familiar with) but we ended up ordering 4-5 small plates for the 3 of us to share and it was great. Biggest winners were the sushi, chicken empanadas, ahi tuna tacos, and the shrimp fried rice. Wine selection was not elaborate but both wines by the glass we selected were enjoyable.Special Features:
- Good serviceLeokev23Dined on 9/13/2014Great service ,good food ....Ill definetly comeback....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Brunch SelectionOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/13/2014Loved the variety of food and drink, and service was superb. Took advantage of the bottomless brunch by arriving at 10:30am and staying through its end. Worth it!Special Features:
- Great food and energy but too noisyBlakeDined on 9/12/2014Zengo is a DC classic hot spot--where people from all walks of life around the city come together to wine and dine. I love it for the small plate, fun food, and diverse clientele. The new bar renovation has made it so much louder, and while the upstairs dining area isn't as loud, it's missing an intimacy element that would greatly enhance the experience.Special Features:
- Zengo No Go202MurphyDined on 9/11/2014Food and service were horrible. The railing up to 2nd floor should be wiped down multiple times during the day. Expand your sushi options. Service was horrible we had to ask repeatedly for water and our check. Not coming back - ever!
- My new favorite brunchJasonDined on 9/7/2014Let me start by saying that I never write reviews because I'm never really that impressed with a place to take the time. That changed with Zengo. Great location, almost no wait time, attentive but not overly bothersome service, excellent food, great selection, delicious mimosas, and a beautiful space. The $40 per person brunch gets you unlimited small plates and bottomless beverages. I found it well worth the cost - and you have to try the guava mimosas!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed the foodCassieDined on 9/6/2014I really was pleased with my dining experience. The food was delicious and just spicy enough.Special Features:
- Delicious brunchVeggiefoodieDined on 9/6/2014Came here for the bottomless brunch- had a great time and ate a lot! Food was excellent and waitress was nice. Guava mimosa is the best drink on their menu :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Post-movie diningFormerFedVIPDined on 9/2/2014Dropped in after seeing "November Man" at the Regal Cinema. Made it inside in and to our table overlooking 7th Street in time to watch the rain begin. I got the Shrimp Lettuce Wraps and Pork Carnitas with wok-cooked noodles. Both very tasty. My girlfriend got the spicy Edamame XO and the Lamb Shank, which were also good. She got an order of the lobster roll to take home for the next day. We ended our meal with several flights of tequila and one of rum, which certainly should be tried. Had to point out that the bill priced those higher than the menu, but that was quickly corrected. We look forward to retuning to Zengo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/31/2014Waiter was way too busy, barely visited out table as a result. There were very inebriated customers during brunch and the staff didn't know how to handle them. Most of the food came very fast but were very greasy/very salty. I'd say 3/10 dishes were good. It's good for quick and bottomless food and drinks.Special Features:
- All Time faveOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/31/2014Consistency in food quality and taste, service and value. One of my all time favorite DC restaurants!Special Features:
- PerfectRichDined on 8/31/2014I celebrated my son's birthday with a brunch at Zengo ... it was fabulous. The menu scared some of us, but proved to be liked by all. We all left with smiles and a buzz.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow!WerebonerDined on 8/31/2014The restaurant did not look like much on the outside coming from the Gallery Place metro station, but when we entered the building it was just...wow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bottomless BrunchkeliaynDined on 8/31/2014My husband and I tried a variety of drink options and plates included in the bottomless brunch. He was a fan of their bloody mary, but found the bloody maria resembled cocktail sauce (we ordered the shrimp ceviche to take advantage of that fact & they paired well). With regard to the small plates, the duck chilaquiles were our only disappointment (due to a scant amount of duck and lack of sauce on the accompanying bed of chips). We loved the brussel sprouts (though VERY salty), the short rib hash was delicious, and the two dishes that required seconds were the salmon benedict and the angry zengo roll. Arrive early for quicker service, or arrive later for a more laid back experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for LunchslwadeDined on 8/26/2014Went with co-workers for lunch not expecting much but was pleasantly surprised. The food was wonderful and I especially liked the Achiote-Hoisin Pork Arepas. I must note the french fries that came with the Cubano Sandwich were to die for. I'm not sure what spice they used to season the fries but they were the best fries I've had.Special Features:
- Fabulous Server - RobertothegreengypsyDined on 8/24/2014My sister and I brought our parents to Zengo for a 40th Anniversary celebration during brunch. We picked it because of the bottomless option to choose as many things off the menu as you like, and for the flowing mimosas! The place was REALLY LOUD, even though we were sitting at a table in the corner next to a window (great view!). The best part of all was that we had a fabulous server, Roberto. He was extremely busy, and pulled in a million directions, but hadn't it with grace. He congratulated our mom and dad on their longtime marriage commitment, and shared a bit about his own family. It made all the difference to have an attentive, relatable person guiding us through the dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bottomless brunchFoodcomaDined on 8/23/2014The food here was absolutely amazing and did not disappoint. I had been here for dinner and was very pleased so I knew brunch had to be just as good. The service was fantastic. The cocktails kept being filled without having to ask which in my book is a win during a bottomless brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- convenient to verizon center, but .Xpat4everDined on 8/19/2014This place was very convenient for a pre-show (Verizon center) dinner. The food was sort of interesting although nothing fantastic. Don't get the Duck Fried Rice as it was very bland and dried out. I would try to find another venue next time.
- Very nice!adam71Dined on 8/16/2014The experience was great. When I told our server that we were there for our anniversary, she brought us sparkling wine with dessert, which was appreciated. We'll be back for the late night dancing!Special Features:
- UnimpressedemilyDined on 8/15/2014My boyfriend and I decided to try out Zengo thanks to their awesome looking menu, and the upcoming restaurant week. We both had really good drinks (lychee martini and sake sangria), but we were unimpressed completely with the food. The appetizers we had were alright, but our main courses were exceptionally sweet and the lamb my boyfriend ordered was almost inedible. Thankfully the waiter offered him a different dish - the tofu - which was fine, but also quite sweet and neither dish was spicy which they were advertised as. The desserts were also very "meh" - the churro was doughy, not crispy and the avocado panacotta was alright. Would not recommend except for drinks and appetizers.Special Features:
- Always a great choiceArlFoodieDined on 8/15/2014The food is consistently delicious and enjoy the cocktail list. One my favorites in dc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vegans & meat-eatersMAWGDined on 8/15/2014We had a party of 4, 2 vegans and 2 omnivores. It was Friday morning, and we needed a guaranteed place to eat Friday night. Zengo took reservations. Their food was fantastic; the vegan food had as much thought put into it as did the regular dishes. Highly suggested.Special Features:
- Not like it used to bebblyDined on 8/15/2014I had not been to Zengo's in a long time, it seems that to menu has changed to a point that I will not be returning. There were not enough Asian/Latin fusion choices anymore. I really did not enjoy my food at all the waiter was slow.
- Latin Asian Fusion??BettySoupDined on 8/13/2014As an Asian, the taste is hard to like. It's obviously a popular place, but the food was unimpressive. Server kept up selling me to get something other than tap water.Special Features:
- Great service!LorelaiDined on 8/12/2014Went with a friend for restaurant week. There was a mistake on the menu and the waitress gave us complimentary drinks as a result!Special Features:
- Really good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/9/2014Entire vegetarian menu & great wait staff.........Special Features:
- ExcellentGoodfoodDined on 8/8/2014Great food. Took my family on vacation, and now one of our favorites. We'll return when back in DC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a Lunch DateLauraVIPDined on 8/5/2014I've been to Zengo numerous times, and love the menu for it's flavorful options. On this recent visit, I joined a friend for lunch. The food was delicious as always, but the service this go around was incredibly slow. It was lunch time, so the slow service was not appreciated. I ordered a tuna and watermelon salad which was light and refreshing along with the spicy miso soup, which I would skip on my next go. My friend had the Cubano sandwhich bento box, and was happy with her dish as well. We shared the Xo edamame, which is a must get! However, the edamame came out after our meal, which was not as we intended. All and all, I'll go back again, with the hope that we get a better server next time.Special Features:
- Fantastic dinner at ZengoJacquesDined on 8/3/2014On a week-end trip to washington DC, I ended up in Zengo to try their asian -latin fusion cuisine. I was curious and not quite sure what to expect. One word to resume this dining experience: WOW!!!!! Starting with an unusual tasty duck taco, followed by a mouth-watering entree (scallops) and to top it all a exquisite dessert (mousse cake with gyuzu marmelade). My senses were ecstatic.......Special Features:
- "Brunching" Foodie FriendsYumsterDined on 8/3/2014We decided to meet our friends here for brunch but had never been to Zengo before. The unlimited drinks with brunch were our selling point. Upon arriving we were seated upstairs. Our table was ready, the decorations were very chic, service was outstanding (props to RedBear), and the drinks were flowing. The food was great for the most part; there were a few dishes I didn't care for. Not terrible, just not my taste. It was very loud inside - great place to meet friends but if you're looking for a romantic spot this isn't it! The empanadas, lobster grits, waffles, egg rolls, plantains, short rib hash and edamame were all outstanding!!!Special Features:
- A Surprise!FussyfoodieDined on 8/2/2014We were looking for a really enjoyable pre-theater meal -- & we found it! The restaurant was quiet enough to have a conversation, but cool enough for all kinds of folks. (Quiet due to early dining-6pm??). Fussy foodie We had a lot of small plates & sushi, all of which were scrumptious & unique. Especially tasty were the vegetarian rolls & the tuna tacos, but everything was great! The service was terrific as well! We are planning lots of return visits & we all (4) would not hesitate to highly recommend Zengo to everyone. Also, the bar scene looked lively by the time we were leaving. Good find!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch varietyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014Great variety of eclectic brunch foods. Pretty expensive at $39/each.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- i enjoy eating at Zengosalipali62Dined on 8/1/2014have eaten at Zengos in NYC and DC. DC is my favorite despite the priciness:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- joydcDined on 7/30/2014The food was excellent as was the service. They had a gluten-free menu which was perfect for one of the members of my party. I was hoping for a bit of a calmer experience. I was there with 2 colleagues and at times, it was a bit challenging to hear the conversation. Great for happy hour vibe but not for a serious work discussion.Special Features:
- Doesn't DisappointHStreetYuppieVIPDined on 7/26/2014We've probably come here 4 times now, and the restaurant still doesn't disappoint. It's great for out-of-town guests, and has a little bit for everyone to pick from. We tried the Wagyu beef for the first time and it was delicious. It came with a hot stone to cook the strips of meat on right at our table. Legit.Special Features:
- Best brunch in DCOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/26/2014Food is great, drinks are fun. Our waitress was very attentive. Wish they'd bring back the steak and egg tostada, but still great selection. Will def go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Chinatown FindBigWVIPDined on 7/25/2014This place is rapidly becoming my favorite lunch spot in Chinatown. The food is consistently good, with a creative, Asian fusion emphasis. Probably my favorite part of this restaurant is the big, old windows that overlook all the bustle of Chinatown. It has almost a New York vibe sitting near the windows and looking out over the street. Try to get a table near the windows, those tables are the nicest, by far.Special Features:
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/24/2014The food is really good. A bit noisy with the bar scene downstairs, but the food is always good and the service is too. A favorite place to go to with friends.Special Features:
- Always greatRado86Dined on 7/23/2014Hadn't been to Zengo in a while and was reminded how good the food and service are. Had the dim sum platter lunch special which was wonderful and quite a bargain for the amount and quality of the food!Special Features: