Zengo - NYC
622 Third Avenue
New York, NY 10017Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $31 to $50
Zengo - NYC
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.richardsandoval.com/zengony
- Phone: (212) 808-8110
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Asian
- Executive Chef: Richard Sandoval
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Entertainment: HAPPY HOUR Monday-Friday, 5-7 at the bar.
- Special Events: Please contact Irene Costello, our Special Events Manager, at 212.808.8110 for more information regarding your next special event.
A word from Zengo - NYC
Zengo is a sophisticated blend of Latin-Asian styles and flavors. Chef Richard Sandoval, whose accolades include Bon Appétit Restaurateur of the Year and Mexico’s Toque d’Oro, artfully spins Latin-Asian ingredients into beautifully balanced dishes. Light preparations and tasting portions invite sampling and sharing a variety of items. To complement the cuisine, Zengo offers one of the largest collections of tequila and agave-based spirits in the United States. Guests may sample over 400 varieties in the downstairs Tequila Library. Zengo also boasts an extensive list of Latin wines and Japanese sakes, which are best enjoyed at the mezzanine level Wine & Sake Bar. The cocktail menu showcases Latin-Asian classics made with fine spirits and fresh, hand-muddled fruits.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAsian
Zengo - NYC - Best Restaurants in Midtown East ›
Zengo - NYC reviews from OpenTable diners
143 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (70)good for groups (69)special occasion (45)neighborhood gem (39)vibrant bar scene (39)hot spot (35)great for lunch (32)romantic (27)notable wine list (14)late-night find (13)great for brunch (12)scenic view (3)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Food is creative.Downtown15Dined on 11/22/2014Creative and well presented dishes. Just wish they could adjust the spice level a few notches down. There should be a warning that certain dishes are quite hot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Inspired combination of Latin & Asian ingredientsSmilesDined on 11/19/2014With so many uninspired, over priced restaurants in the area, this has become my go to spot near Grand Central Station to have a lunch meeting. Much easier to snag a quiet booth at noon than it is after hours for dinner. Favorites include the XO edamame, Black Cod with miso glaze and bento box combos. The also make an amazing cayenne and jalapeño spiced house margarita with blood orange juice if it's that kind of "lunch meeting".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horribly Frigid Evening at ZengoTimoDined on 11/18/2014I dined at Zengo on November 18 and had a most uncomfortable dinner. The heat in the restaurant was broken so many around us ate wearing down parkas and we had cold fingers and toes. It was really quite ridiculous and took away from any positive input I could have about the service or food quality. What bothered us most was the lack of communication. No one from the staff, from the hostess to the servers, told us about the heating problem. When we asked directly they said nothing but shrugged their shoulders and laughed uncomfortably. I later overheard at the bar that the heat was fixed earlier in the day and would take a full evening to maintain the usual temperature. I feel that the staff should have been prepared to speak with customers early on either before seating or at the table that there was a problem. As a result I won't be returning or recommending Zengo to anyone.
- Very very disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 11/18/2014I et a girlfriend here for dinner on Tuesday evening. I had gone there one time before for dinner in the summer and the food was feel octopus. Therefore I recommended meeting at Zengo. Unfortunately it was quite disappointing and would now never go back. The restaurant was very cold (I guess there was something wrong with the heat). When we sat down we ordered the same drink we had at the bar, a Caipirina, and the waitress brought a margarita. When we told her that this was the incorrect drink, she argued with us but we sent them back anyway and then got the correct drink. We ordered 2 appetizers and 2 dinners. My friend's dinner came out before the appetizers so we sent it back. Then after we finished the appetizers, before they cleared away the plates, they brought my friend's dinner again and did not bring my dinner so we sent it back. Finally we got both dinners served to us. They were cold, served on cold plates in a cold restaurant on a very cold night. I asked another waiter for the manager because I could not find our waitress. He asked me if everything was all right and I said no that's why we were asking for the manager. Finally 10 minutes later the manager came with an excuse that there was a party downstairs. We explained the situation and he of course defended the restaurant. So although we were not charged for the meal ( which I would not have paid for anyway) he was not very kind and never came back to the table to check on us nor was he at the door to apologize when we left. Our waitress never came back and we had to find another waiter to give us coffee, the check and to get the table cleaned. This was not a particularly busy night so I am unsure why this was such a bad experience. Will not recommend this restaurant. Feel free to contact me if you would like further details.
- FREEZING ON A SATURDAY NIGHTsrk49VIPDined on 11/15/2014Ate here Saturday night November 15. Had a 7:30 PM reservation. Diners in the restaurant kept their coats on the entire meal. TURN THE HEAT ON Cold air was blowing on us. We had six small plates and each was really delicious. But the cold restaurant ruined the evening. The manager said it's been like this and the owner will not respond. Not sure I believe that. Will not return until the spring comes..........
- Great vibe, food and cocktails were amazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014I tried this place out with a friend recently for some food and cocktails and it did not disappoint. The vibe is perfect for a meal with a friend or a group, low lighting, lovely staff and the food and cocktails were great. The only downside was that their heating wasnt working when we were there so it was a bit cold but they said it was being fixed that day and we still had a lovely time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/10/2014I went there for my gf birthday and we both loved it. Great food, great service, and since it was our first time they suggested us their favorite dishes and they were all amazing. I highly recommend the tropical sangriaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fiesta for the Taste Buds!FlavorAMustDined on 11/10/2014We have tried all of Chef Sandoval's restaurants and have each one to be excellent. Zengo was no exception. The tamarind margarita was fab and the appetizers and steak were delicious. It was a fiesta of flavors that made our taste buds dance. Service was attentive. An overall enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Down hill?JoelVIPDined on 11/10/2014Been going here for years. Seem to have a new chef. Food was marginal at best.
- SolidnybebbiVIPDined on 11/5/2014Zengo is one of those places I regularly go for a good and quick lunch. The restaurant probably wouldn't win in a beauty contest, but I don't go there for the design, but for the consistent quality of the food. Besides, quick and friendly service and a good value for money are other reasons for returning there regularly. I especially love the honey glazed cod and their bento boxes. These are express menu items and they are served real quick. So, if you have limited time for lunch and want a decent place to eat, Zengo is the place to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the high ceilingsNeighbourhoodDined on 11/4/2014The food was average but loved the high ceilings! Had a nice time and didn't feel too rushed from the waitress which is a novelty in NYC.Special Features:
- Becoming the regularjcmeatloverVIPDined on 11/3/2014Great dining experience as usual. Try the scallop ceviche and thai lettuce wrap!Special Features:
- Surprising and Tasty FindLordBritishVIPDined on 10/29/2014We live about 6 blocks away, and somehow only now discovered Zengo. It has a very nice aesthetic. Clever and testy menu. and solid service. The combination makes this a real win for the Murray Hill Area. I will be adding this to our list or regular stops for dining!Special Features:
- DJ58dj58Dined on 10/25/2014The food is an interesting mix of asian and latin and we really loved the combination. Beautiful restaurant.Special Features:
- Rushed us to order the main courseDeanVIPDined on 10/17/2014Everything was good about the place, except that they rushed us on th main course and said the the kitchen was closing at 10.15. I wouldn't have expected this from a restaurant that has a tequila lounge below.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ZengoMaruzellaVIPDined on 10/17/2014Love the atmosphere and the decor at Zengo! The food is so different and flavorful: We sampled amazing dishes each one tastier than the other. Service was attentive and friendly too. We will definitely be back !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GloriousfoodieVIPDined on 10/16/2014Four of us had a varied cuisine,we shared and everything was delicious!!!Special Features:
- Tony HTonyHDined on 10/14/2014Excellent location for Lunch; seated promptly served quickly and with a smile.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed bag for office dinnerSnowkoDined on 10/10/2014I've lived in this neighborhood for nine years (working here 20 years) and Zengo is one of my go-to neighborhood spots to meet friends who have trains to catch, and for the occasional office dinner. The space is absolutely lovely on all three levels, the food is very good, and the service helpful and courteous, but a few things went awry last Friday for my office dinner: Mojitos had to be sent back because they were watery and the mint was not muddled. The margarita was sent back too -- this shocked me because I've enjoyed the Tamarind Togarashi margarita since they opened here -- maybe the resto is breaking in someone new? Entrees also arrived at different times, half the table (of 10 adults) was done eating when the last plates arrived.
- Lovely and nice placeEmanuelleVIPDined on 10/8/2014Very nice, we (myself and my friend) love it. If they have more drink selection, much better. But satisfied ! We are coming back there soon again.Special Features:
- No Choco Tacos!!!!!!NJBobDined on 10/8/2014On arrival we asked to be seated at one of the tables for two by the window, three of which were empty at the time. We were refused because that "server was already overloaded". We offered to wait for 30 minutes, still no. We were seated in a separate section along the kitchen wall just outside of the main dining area. It was so dark that we had to use the candle on the table to try to read the menu. Very disappointing. Meals were fine, but Zengo no longer serves their Choco Taco dessert. It was a highlight of previous meals here. We settled for churros with chocolate dipping sauce. They were ordinary in every way. We didn't finish the shared order. With all of the choices in NYC, I will most likely not be returning to Zengo.
- Great Cuban SandwichRoyRDined on 10/7/2014One of the best Cuban sandwiches I've ever had. Great fries too called togarashi fries. Service was excellent. Great place.Special Features:
- DELICIOUS!Stebetty12VIPDined on 10/6/2014I have celiac disease and being able to always know my fav spots where i feel comfortable eating at because they have a dedicated GF menu is always a plus! The food is DELICIOUS and i love the Latin Asian Fusion. I love all of Sandoval's restaurants and always recommend this restaurant for the food, the ambiance and not to mention Biblioteca Bar downstairs for great drinks and Happy Hour. I had just completed a fitness competition and havent been able to enjoy eating out let alone enjoy this type of food in over 5 months so it was a wonderful TREAT after all that time...Special Features:
- Nothing to write home aboutFoodie747Dined on 10/3/2014Had dinner with my wife Friday night. Restaurant was half full so we were seated immediately. Food was nothing special. Some dishes wre ok some were almost uneatable. No reference to spice level in the food. I like very spicy and my wife likes it not spicy, so it was.diffiicult for my wife Some type of nightclub in the basement.
- Food too spicy, vinegary.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/1/2014One of the entrees was sparse, beef pretty tough. Space-decor is attractive.
- LOVE ITOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/29/2014THIS IS OUR FAVORITE RESTAURANT....awesome!!! We go out of our way to get to a Zengo. They are consistently great in service and food. The Pineapple Mojitos are just the best. Cannot wait to return and enjoy more menu items. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Novel cuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/29/2014Great place and in close proximity to Grand Central....Special Features:
- Best for tapas & cocktailsVgirl007VIPDined on 9/26/2014Great atmosphere, lively bar scene with amazing cocktails. Food is delicious but entree portion sizes may fall short , especially the scallops.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmedNewYorkNewbyDined on 9/23/2014The food was so-so to bland. We had a forgettable sushi from the appetizer section. The scallop cerviche was tasty but soupy and was served with chopsticks and forks; neither were particularly helpful. the arepas were fine with the pork having good flavor and the shrimp and chorizo was also quite good. The main reason I would not return is that in New York there are just too many really good restaurants to return to on that is expensive and just ok.
- Uneven QualityHedgehogVIPDined on 9/23/2014Nice room, nice location, nice menu - but apparently someone in charge has decided that it's not going to be about the food. To be sure, some dishes are fine, especially on the vegetable/salad side, BUT they served a chicken empanada that was borderline inedible - the chicken must have been left over from some local summer camp cafeteria, it was old, stale, and distasteful. When there are so many restaurants around that take pride in their cooking and make sure every dish reaching the table is excellent, why should anyone put up with this?
- a good and pretty placebabkaDined on 9/22/2014It is most enjoyable at Zengo - its spacious, service is good, the food varies yet good. I will go back and send friends.Special Features:
- Nothing beats poor serviceWillEStyle3VIPDined on 9/20/2014This is about the third time I have eaten here and it usually very good, however what my wife and experienced on last Saturday night was horrible service. The response we got from the manager after waiting for appetizers " I checked you have been waiting for ten minutes, you are not the only table". There were not many tables so I would hate to see if they were busy. The server was not attentive until presenting the check. I am at a lost for words... needless to say I will not return.
- Love ZengoMidtownerVIPDined on 9/19/2014My boyfriend and I come to Zengo all the time. They always treat us so well, and the food is delicious! Thank you!Special Features:
- What happened to this place?mehxicanVIPDined on 9/16/2014Used to be very good. Food is now over-sauced and over-salty. Drinks are terrible (a smooth fidencio mezcal ruined by a cayenne/salt rim), and service was abysmal (wait staff was clueless about menu and when to fire courses). I heard the place was "in transition" so you should wait to dine there until that is complete.
- Stay awayMichaelDined on 9/13/2014The food was great, but the service was so miserable--both slow and obnoxious, from hostess to wait staff--that I couldn't recommend Zengo. Service had been better in past. Would definitely recommend food if Zengo fixes service problems.
- Love this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/13/2014We needed a restaurant that could cater to our son's vegetarian girlfriend and immediately thought of Zengo. Their vegetarian menu is not extensive, but she deemed the food delicious. As did our son. We have been to Zengo many times and love the small plates. And the atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice business lunchamstrauDined on 9/12/2014We went for a professional lunch, and it was a great experience. The service was very professional and accommodating. The food was terrific. The tuna tacos and shrimp lettuce wraps were so delicious! The only complaint was that our table had the sun beaming straight down on us the whole time and it was a little tough to see.Special Features:
- PleasedPatronDined on 9/5/2014Great food and friendly and helpful staff. Beautifully decorated and perfect seating for either a small intimate meal or a large group.Special Features:
- Inventive creativesbyontheislandVIPDined on 8/30/2014Excellent fusion of Asian and Mexican ingredients and seasonings make for an original and delicious dining experience in a beautiful place. The service is professional and friendly. The design of the restaurant is on of the best - intimate and spacious at the same time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Couldn't as for anything else!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/29/2014The menu is awesome as it changes seasonally. We were a group of 4. Our waiter was awesome, honest and knowledgable about the food. We only ate from the appetizers which was all perfect! The bar downstairs is dark and come and make sure you try a tequilla tasting! Enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.