Zengo - NYC
622 Third Avenue
New York, NY 10017Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $31 to $50
Zengo - NYC
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.richardsandoval.com/zengony
- Phone: 2128088110
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Asian
- Executive Chef: Richard Sandoval
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Entertainment: HAPPY HOUR Monday-Friday, 5-7 at the bar.
- Special Events: Please contact Irene Costello, our Special Events Manager, at 212.808.8110 for more information regarding your next special event.
A word from Zengo - NYC
Zengo is a sophisticated blend of Latin-Asian styles and flavors. Chef Richard Sandoval, whose accolades include Bon Appétit Restaurateur of the Year and Mexico’s Toque d’Oro, artfully spins Latin-Asian ingredients into beautifully balanced dishes. Light preparations and tasting portions invite sampling and sharing a variety of items. To complement the cuisine, Zengo offers one of the largest collections of tequila and agave-based spirits in the United States. Guests may sample over 400 varieties in the downstairs Tequila Library. Zengo also boasts an extensive list of Latin wines and Japanese sakes, which are best enjoyed at the mezzanine level Wine & Sake Bar. The cocktail menu showcases Latin-Asian classics made with fine spirits and fresh, hand-muddled fruits.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAsian
Zengo - NYC - Best Restaurants in Midtown East ›
Zengo - NYC reviews from OpenTable diners
161 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (77)good for groups (74)special occasion (53)neighborhood gem (45)vibrant bar scene (45)hot spot (44)great for lunch (41)romantic (33)great for brunch (16)late-night find (16)notable wine list (14)scenic view (6)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- DJ58dj58Dined on 10/25/2014The food is an interesting mix of asian and latin and we really loved the combination. Beautiful restaurant.Special Features:
- Rushed us to order the main courseDeanVIPDined on 10/17/2014Everything was good about the place, except that they rushed us on th main course and said the the kitchen was closing at 10.15. I wouldn't have expected this from a restaurant that has a tequila lounge below.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ZengoMaruzellaVIPDined on 10/17/2014Love the atmosphere and the decor at Zengo! The food is so different and flavorful: We sampled amazing dishes each one tastier than the other. Service was attentive and friendly too. We will definitely be back !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GloriousfoodieVIPDined on 10/16/2014Four of us had a varied cuisine,we shared and everything was delicious!!!Special Features:
- Tony HTonyHDined on 10/14/2014Excellent location for Lunch; seated promptly served quickly and with a smile.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed bag for office dinnerSnowkoDined on 10/10/2014I've lived in this neighborhood for nine years (working here 20 years) and Zengo is one of my go-to neighborhood spots to meet friends who have trains to catch, and for the occasional office dinner. The space is absolutely lovely on all three levels, the food is very good, and the service helpful and courteous, but a few things went awry last Friday for my office dinner: Mojitos had to be sent back because they were watery and the mint was not muddled. The margarita was sent back too -- this shocked me because I've enjoyed the Tamarind Togarashi margarita since they opened here -- maybe the resto is breaking in someone new? Entrees also arrived at different times, half the table (of 10 adults) was done eating when the last plates arrived.
- Lovely and nice placeEmanuelleVIPDined on 10/8/2014Very nice, we (myself and my friend) love it. If they have more drink selection, much better. But satisfied ! We are coming back there soon again.Special Features:
- No Choco Tacos!!!!!!NJBobDined on 10/8/2014On arrival we asked to be seated at one of the tables for two by the window, three of which were empty at the time. We were refused because that "server was already overloaded". We offered to wait for 30 minutes, still no. We were seated in a separate section along the kitchen wall just outside of the main dining area. It was so dark that we had to use the candle on the table to try to read the menu. Very disappointing. Meals were fine, but Zengo no longer serves their Choco Taco dessert. It was a highlight of previous meals here. We settled for churros with chocolate dipping sauce. They were ordinary in every way. We didn't finish the shared order. With all of the choices in NYC, I will most likely not be returning to Zengo.
- Great Cuban SandwichRoyRDined on 10/7/2014One of the best Cuban sandwiches I've ever had. Great fries too called togarashi fries. Service was excellent. Great place.Special Features:
- DELICIOUS!Stebetty12VIPDined on 10/6/2014I have celiac disease and being able to always know my fav spots where i feel comfortable eating at because they have a dedicated GF menu is always a plus! The food is DELICIOUS and i love the Latin Asian Fusion. I love all of Sandoval's restaurants and always recommend this restaurant for the food, the ambiance and not to mention Biblioteca Bar downstairs for great drinks and Happy Hour. I had just completed a fitness competition and havent been able to enjoy eating out let alone enjoy this type of food in over 5 months so it was a wonderful TREAT after all that time...Special Features:
- Nothing to write home aboutFoodie747Dined on 10/3/2014Had dinner with my wife Friday night. Restaurant was half full so we were seated immediately. Food was nothing special. Some dishes wre ok some were almost uneatable. No reference to spice level in the food. I like very spicy and my wife likes it not spicy, so it was.diffiicult for my wife Some type of nightclub in the basement.
- Food too spicy, vinegary.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/1/2014One of the entrees was sparse, beef pretty tough. Space-decor is attractive.
- LOVE ITOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/29/2014THIS IS OUR FAVORITE RESTAURANT....awesome!!! We go out of our way to get to a Zengo. They are consistently great in service and food. The Pineapple Mojitos are just the best. Cannot wait to return and enjoy more menu items. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Novel cuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/29/2014Great place and in close proximity to Grand Central....Special Features:
- Best for tapas & cocktailsVgirl007VIPDined on 9/26/2014Great atmosphere, lively bar scene with amazing cocktails. Food is delicious but entree portion sizes may fall short , especially the scallops.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmedNewYorkNewbyDined on 9/23/2014The food was so-so to bland. We had a forgettable sushi from the appetizer section. The scallop cerviche was tasty but soupy and was served with chopsticks and forks; neither were particularly helpful. the arepas were fine with the pork having good flavor and the shrimp and chorizo was also quite good. The main reason I would not return is that in New York there are just too many really good restaurants to return to on that is expensive and just ok.
- Uneven QualityHedgehogVIPDined on 9/23/2014Nice room, nice location, nice menu - but apparently someone in charge has decided that it's not going to be about the food. To be sure, some dishes are fine, especially on the vegetable/salad side, BUT they served a chicken empanada that was borderline inedible - the chicken must have been left over from some local summer camp cafeteria, it was old, stale, and distasteful. When there are so many restaurants around that take pride in their cooking and make sure every dish reaching the table is excellent, why should anyone put up with this?
- a good and pretty placebabkaDined on 9/22/2014It is most enjoyable at Zengo - its spacious, service is good, the food varies yet good. I will go back and send friends.Special Features:
- Nothing beats poor serviceWillEStyle3VIPDined on 9/20/2014This is about the third time I have eaten here and it usually very good, however what my wife and experienced on last Saturday night was horrible service. The response we got from the manager after waiting for appetizers " I checked you have been waiting for ten minutes, you are not the only table". There were not many tables so I would hate to see if they were busy. The server was not attentive until presenting the check. I am at a lost for words... needless to say I will not return.
- Love ZengoMidtownerVIPDined on 9/19/2014My boyfriend and I come to Zengo all the time. They always treat us so well, and the food is delicious! Thank you!Special Features:
- What happened to this place?mehxicanVIPDined on 9/16/2014Used to be very good. Food is now over-sauced and over-salty. Drinks are terrible (a smooth fidencio mezcal ruined by a cayenne/salt rim), and service was abysmal (wait staff was clueless about menu and when to fire courses). I heard the place was "in transition" so you should wait to dine there until that is complete.
- Stay awayMichaelDined on 9/13/2014The food was great, but the service was so miserable--both slow and obnoxious, from hostess to wait staff--that I couldn't recommend Zengo. Service had been better in past. Would definitely recommend food if Zengo fixes service problems.
- Love this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/13/2014We needed a restaurant that could cater to our son's vegetarian girlfriend and immediately thought of Zengo. Their vegetarian menu is not extensive, but she deemed the food delicious. As did our son. We have been to Zengo many times and love the small plates. And the atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice business lunchamstrauDined on 9/12/2014We went for a professional lunch, and it was a great experience. The service was very professional and accommodating. The food was terrific. The tuna tacos and shrimp lettuce wraps were so delicious! The only complaint was that our table had the sun beaming straight down on us the whole time and it was a little tough to see.Special Features:
- PleasedPatronDined on 9/5/2014Great food and friendly and helpful staff. Beautifully decorated and perfect seating for either a small intimate meal or a large group.Special Features:
- Inventive creativesbyontheislandVIPDined on 8/30/2014Excellent fusion of Asian and Mexican ingredients and seasonings make for an original and delicious dining experience in a beautiful place. The service is professional and friendly. The design of the restaurant is on of the best - intimate and spacious at the same time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Couldn't as for anything else!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/29/2014The menu is awesome as it changes seasonally. We were a group of 4. Our waiter was awesome, honest and knowledgable about the food. We only ate from the appetizers which was all perfect! The bar downstairs is dark and come and make sure you try a tequilla tasting! Enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good spotDineNotDashDined on 8/29/2014Original menu. Great food. Good service. Smart ambience. Will go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- this was my fourth visit to ZengobabkaDined on 8/29/2014I wanted to check their regular lunch menu. my friend enjoyed his choices. I did not enjoy mine at all. Especially the second course of Korean fried chicked. I dont know what was Korean about it, except that is smelt of fish sauce, and it was soft and soggy and tasteless. But they called it Korean??????? daliaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!WonderWoman63Dined on 8/28/2014We went to Zengo's for a birthday dinner based on a recommendation we received and didn't know what to expect. We had a great time there and the food was terrific. We loved their concept of sharing our choices (i.e., family style) and would definitely recommend the restaurant and eat there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Appetizer HeavenNomNomNomVIPDined on 8/28/2014All of the food here is delicious, but my husband and I always agree that the appetizers are the best part. I recommend ordering a bunch of appetizers to share and skipping the entree.
- UESFOODIEVIPDined on 8/27/2014I was pleasantly surprised when I arrived at Zeno. Came after work for drinks and appetizers. Had the Thai chicken empanadas, Tuna tacos, calamari salad and the Zengo tuna roll. The first two appetizers were the best; enjoyed the calamari salad but would pass next time on the tuna roll (not rolled well--falling apart and nothing special and overpriced for what it is). They could lose the rice in the tuna taco too. The decor was very attractive and different--interesting use of wood, ceilings and fixtures and lighting. The service was very good and the food was delicious. I would definitely come back for lunch.Special Features:
- NBomarDined on 8/26/2014I planned a birthday lunch for my colleague and she loved the food and service. Staff were very attentive and even gave us a birthday surprise dessert at the end of our meal with a lit candle included!! Love Zengo and will definitely return to try the other dishes!Special Features:
- Great food, tiny portionsannierDined on 8/25/2014The food was quite good, (pricey) but there was not enough of it. I was hungry two hours later. Service was very professional and the interior of the restaurant was lovely. The noise level became a bit much. I might or might not go back.Special Features:
- It was pretty good-ChrisDined on 8/22/2014We ordered a bunch of small plates and tapas. Overall, we enjoyed it thoroughly. However, the potstickers had NO flavor (like none, zilch, zero). That was made up for by just about everything else (especially the amazing scallop ceviche, highly recommend it!). Service was a little wonky. Our waiter appeared immediately, gave us some drink suggestions and asked what type of water we wanted. He brought the water and took the drink order very quickly, and brought the drinks quickly. And then... we waited. And waited. Some of our stuff came about half an hour later and some of it came about 45 minutes after that. The waiter never checked in, but the manager took a second drink order. In short, food was pretty good, service, ehhhhhhhhhSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, mediocre serviceDiannaVIPDined on 8/20/2014The food is pretty good but the service is very inconsistent. We started out getting attention but once our food came, the wait staff disappeared. I had to flag someone down for water, a dessert menu, and the check. They pretty much forgot about us after dinner was served. Disappointing since the food and ambiance are positives.
- Interesting cuisine...in a good wayZooboyDined on 8/19/2014If your looking for small, quiet romantic bistro this is not the place... The restaurant is very large,its location near Grand Central Station is very convenient. On a Tuesday night it was nearly full, with mostly a younger crowd. The menu was a Latin/Asian fusion which I found very interesting and tasty. The Latin flatbread was excellent, the Korean fried chicken was very good... very crispy, light, not oily, extremely tender inside... the spicy red sauce was excellent. Service was attentive and pleasant. Pricing while not a bargain (there are none in that area) was not outrageous. Shared entree, appetizer and desert, two glasses of wine, one beer and two coffees $100 + tip. I would go back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place in the neighborhoodFoodhunterVIPDined on 8/18/2014Zengo is one of the best options in midtown east and a great alternative during the week.Special Features:
- Good for lunchtwoplusoneVIPDined on 8/18/2014The asian fusion attempt that Zengo is trying to provide pays off. Most of their dishes are interesting and tasty. Go for the lunch time prix fix menu!Special Features:
- Had a romantic Friday eveningZac29Dined on 8/15/2014We went to Zengo last Friday. Overall had a very nice experience. Our server was really courteous and friendly. We ordered mostly off the vegetarian menu - sushi was average but the crispy tofu was excellent. My wife really enjoyed the shrimp lettuce wraps. Also the ambience was really nice - we got a quiet booth, which was perfect for the evening. I would definitely recommend the place.Special Features: