Zengo - NYC
622 Third Avenue
New York, NY 10017Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $31 to $50
Zengo - NYC
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.richardsandoval.com/zengony
- Phone: 2128088110
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Asian
- Executive Chef: Richard Sandoval
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Entertainment: HAPPY HOUR Monday-Friday, 5-7 at the bar.
- Special Events: Please contact Irene Costello, our Special Events Manager, at 212.808.8110 for more information regarding your next special event.
A word from Zengo - NYC
Zengo is a sophisticated blend of Latin-Asian styles and flavors. Chef Richard Sandoval, whose accolades include Bon Appétit Restaurateur of the Year and Mexico’s Toque d’Oro, artfully spins Latin-Asian ingredients into beautifully balanced dishes. Light preparations and tasting portions invite sampling and sharing a variety of items. To complement the cuisine, Zengo offers one of the largest collections of tequila and agave-based spirits in the United States. Guests may sample over 400 varieties in the downstairs Tequila Library. Zengo also boasts an extensive list of Latin wines and Japanese sakes, which are best enjoyed at the mezzanine level Wine & Sake Bar. The cocktail menu showcases Latin-Asian classics made with fine spirits and fresh, hand-muddled fruits.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAsian
Zengo - NYC - Best Restaurants in Midtown East ›
Zengo - NYC reviews from OpenTable diners
157 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (79)good for groups (76)special occasion (55)great for lunch (47)neighborhood gem (44)vibrant bar scene (44)hot spot (41)romantic (39)late-night find (18)great for brunch (14)notable wine list (12)scenic view (7)kid-friendly (4)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- UESFOODIEVIPDined on 8/27/2014I was pleasantly surprised when I arrived at Zeno. Came after work for drinks and appetizers. Had the Thai chicken empanadas, Tuna tacos, calamari salad and the Zengo tuna roll. The first two appetizers were the best; enjoyed the calamari salad but would pass next time on the tuna roll (not rolled well--falling apart and nothing special and overpriced for what it is). They could lose the rice in the tuna taco too. The decor was very attractive and different--interesting use of wood, ceilings and fixtures and lighting. The service was very good and the food was delicious. I would definitely come back for lunch.Special Features:
- NBomarDined on 8/26/2014I planned a birthday lunch for my colleague and she loved the food and service. Staff were very attentive and even gave us a birthday surprise dessert at the end of our meal with a lit candle included!! Love Zengo and will definitely return to try the other dishes!Special Features:
- Great food, tiny portionsannierDined on 8/25/2014The food was quite good, (pricey) but there was not enough of it. I was hungry two hours later. Service was very professional and the interior of the restaurant was lovely. The noise level became a bit much. I might or might not go back.Special Features:
- It was pretty good-ChrisDined on 8/22/2014We ordered a bunch of small plates and tapas. Overall, we enjoyed it thoroughly. However, the potstickers had NO flavor (like none, zilch, zero). That was made up for by just about everything else (especially the amazing scallop ceviche, highly recommend it!). Service was a little wonky. Our waiter appeared immediately, gave us some drink suggestions and asked what type of water we wanted. He brought the water and took the drink order very quickly, and brought the drinks quickly. And then... we waited. And waited. Some of our stuff came about half an hour later and some of it came about 45 minutes after that. The waiter never checked in, but the manager took a second drink order. In short, food was pretty good, service, ehhhhhhhhhSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, mediocre serviceDiannaVIPDined on 8/20/2014The food is pretty good but the service is very inconsistent. We started out getting attention but once our food came, the wait staff disappeared. I had to flag someone down for water, a dessert menu, and the check. They pretty much forgot about us after dinner was served. Disappointing since the food and ambiance are positives.
- Interesting cuisine...in a good wayZooboyDined on 8/19/2014If your looking for small, quiet romantic bistro this is not the place... The restaurant is very large,its location near Grand Central Station is very convenient. On a Tuesday night it was nearly full, with mostly a younger crowd. The menu was a Latin/Asian fusion which I found very interesting and tasty. The Latin flatbread was excellent, the Korean fried chicken was very good... very crispy, light, not oily, extremely tender inside... the spicy red sauce was excellent. Service was attentive and pleasant. Pricing while not a bargain (there are none in that area) was not outrageous. Shared entree, appetizer and desert, two glasses of wine, one beer and two coffees $100 + tip. I would go back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place in the neighborhoodFoodhunterVIPDined on 8/18/2014Zengo is one of the best options in midtown east and a great alternative during the week.Special Features:
- Had a romantic Friday eveningZac29Dined on 8/15/2014We went to Zengo last Friday. Overall had a very nice experience. Our server was really courteous and friendly. We ordered mostly off the vegetarian menu - sushi was average but the crispy tofu was excellent. My wife really enjoyed the shrimp lettuce wraps. Also the ambience was really nice - we got a quiet booth, which was perfect for the evening. I would definitely recommend the place.Special Features:
- Great, unique dishesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014The food here is solid. My friend and I ordered a bunch of the smaller dishes and did tapas style. The food was really good and I liked the variety of food selection. My only complaint is as the night went on, the service got slower and slower. I'd rate it 9/10Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique Asian-Latino foodjdvjessDined on 8/15/2014I came to Zengo because of a TravelZoo voucher and was impressed by the tasty, unique appetizers I ordered. The mushroom flatbread was delicious as well as the Angry Sushi roll, scallop ceviche, and lump crab guacamole nachos. The server was very attentive and knowledgeable and the decor added to the unique experience.Special Features:
- I went to Zengo three timesbabkaDined on 8/15/2014Each visit was great. The food varied a bit in success - and the presentations varied - but always good.the Restaurant is very pretty and the space is very pleasant. I would definitely go there all the time -and recommend it to others.Special Features:
- Amazing food and service!foodconnoisseur87Dined on 8/12/2014The food was amazing and the waiter was on top of everything. I went for restaurant week and a steak I ordered was not to my delight. The waiter and manager were in it and quickly made everything right. The combination of great food and excellent service was very refreshing. I will definitely be visiting them again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TPanamaComidaseliciosaNYCRW14Dined on 8/12/2014The Latin/Asian fusion is delicious. The choices on lunch and dinner menus are great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- super yummy!groovyfoodieDined on 8/11/2014food came quickly out of the kitchen. admirable, unique menu. restaurant decor is insane - such beautiful lighting and wood!Special Features:
- great food and locationwineanddineDined on 8/8/2014Minutes from Grand Central and great mix of Latin and Asian mix.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014Excellent service. I was told that last seating is at 2:15pm because the kitchen closes soon. I showed up at 2 but my date showed up at 2:30. Waitress was extremely understanding and accomodating. Still felt very welcomed despite us pushing it with the timing. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Happy Hour!!fancienanDined on 8/7/2014We have been to Zengo twice. First time was for Happy Hour. Loved it! Had great drinks at a great price AND, great appys for $5 each! Really good sushi rolls included. Most recent time we went for dinner. Of course the drinks were much more $, but still very good. LOVE the Angry Zengo sushi roll! Did not love the Thai Chicken empanadas. Nice crispy outside, but mushy, nondescript filling. Tuna tacos were excellent, as was the Zengo fried rice. I would go back, especially for Happy Hour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food !!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/2/2014The menu choices are very creative and very tasty. Beautiful decor - great findingSpecial Features:
- love2enjoyDined on 8/1/2014Delicious ceviche and sushi. Wait staff not so great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The reviews had me fooled!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/1/2014I read several reviews saying how great this restaurant was. However, I found the food bland and rather mediocre. I had the sea bass which had no taste. My husband had the lamb and it was chewy. The dessert mousse seemed hard. I will not return.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/1/2014The restaurant week menu is impressive. Will certainly look forward to another lunch with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experience; had better beforeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/31/2014I've been to Zengo several times this year. It is a great place, with good food, service and ambience. This time (during Restaurant Week - which I know is extra busy) the service wasn't as great. The opinion of one of my friends, who previously was a hostess/waitress, was that our waitress could have addressed our delay in knowing what we wanted to order in a better way and also been a bit more attentive throughout the meal. The food was good, some dishes shining over others. The himachi tiradito was excellent, as was the charred tuna tacos & arepas. The Volcano roll is not as impressive. One of my friends got the Restaurant Week Carne a la Parrilla, which was fantastic. The drinks were spot on; the serrano cucumber martini was exquisite.
- Tasty Latin Asian FusionWendeenycVIPDined on 7/30/2014Great small plates for sharing as well as inventive entrees makes Zengo a fun place for a date or dinner with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant week- lunchNYwildcritterVIPDined on 7/30/2014Beautiful restaurant, but service was very slow, over 1 hour of waiting for lunch food. I would not go again.Special Features:
- Great find!katieluvsflDined on 7/29/2014Was so glad we found this place during restaurant week; we'll be back throughout the year. Taking some friends this weekend! The hanger steak is a must-have and the Piso - passion fruit martini is amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious FusiondancesparkDined on 7/29/20142 girlfriends and I decided to try this restaurant for restaurant week. Our reservation time was 6pm, so it wasn't too crowded in the restaurant which was nice. The food was phenomenal! I really loved each of the dishes, but I especially liked the Thai Chicken Empanadas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fusion for fusion sakebabkaDined on 7/29/2014The restaurant is very very pretty., it is spacious, the space between the tables makes for easy conversation. The chairs are a bit low though comfortable. The food is very prettily served. The concept of the menu is literally fusion of any two countries imagniable. Beautifully served. east and west combined - which is unusual . I was there two days in a row, and whoever served us was charming, smiling, and helpful. I will definitely go back and I already referred people to go there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decorative & DeliciousnbfoodcomaDined on 7/28/2014The food was delicious! The decor of the restaurant was also extremely cool and fun, definitely a good place to go to with friends for a late night dinner and drinks. One thing I loved about the menu was that they had suggested drink pairings with different items on the menu. Our waiter was also very helpful with giving us good food recommendations, you could tell he was genuine and really knew the menu. Would definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ZengoJaypDined on 7/25/2014The food was very good. Nice fusion of latin and Asian food. Prompt service.Special Features:
- great findfitfoodieDined on 7/24/2014I visited Zengo with a bunch of friends for Restaurant Week. The staff was very accommodating and the service was prompt. The staff sat us regardless of our lateness and our waiter suggested signature dishes for us to try. The food was very tasty with "just the right" portions. We had the Chicken Empanadas as appetizers which were delicious. The steak dinner was just as good. Dessert was a little bland compared to the other dishes but appeasing. My only criticism is that our drinks were brought out after the appetizers. Zengo was the perfect spot for a "Girl's Night Out" although it's a little too energetic for an intimate date. We really enjoyed the experience and would suggest it to family/friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food! Ok service.celiacfriendDined on 7/23/2014Amazing food and GREAT for people with dietary restrictions. However, I don't like feeling rushed when I am eating. The staff tried taking our plates several times during the same meal when there was clearly food left that we were still eating. The service was good for the most part, but please do not rush your customers when they are trying to have a relaxing meal. If we are paying for the food, we are also paying for the time and for the space. It's both rude and definitely unnecessary when there are clearly open tables and no issues with seating people. Isn't that the whole point of reservations, anyway? It definitely made the experience less enjoyable to have to feel like we needed to guard our food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week "finding"gc8615Dined on 7/22/2014Don't have a chance to go out much these days, so I was surprised to learn Zengo has been so close to work for 3 yrs now. My husband and I went here for lunch during resto week and enjoyed everthing we tried, cocktails, appetizers (duck "tacos", salmon tartare, salad) main (him: chicken, me: fish) dessert (tres leches, passion fruit cheesecake). Ran out of time, but need to go back and try a "tequila that tastes like ice cream" or so my server said. I'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReliableLethVIPDined on 7/21/2014Food is always reliable. Made to order. Service is a bit slow at times.
- Slow slow slow service.OpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 7/21/2014I didn't enjoy my meal. The place was only 1/3 full and it took forever for he food. After 1:15 min, I left and didn't have my dessert.
- Variable food quality and serviceNYCgirlDined on 7/16/2014We had some outstanding dishes and some mediocre dishes at my daughter's birthday dinner. Appetizers were stellar. Service was very slow. Had to go look for our waiter a few times. Fairly noisy. Would give it another try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great the 2nd time arousedChovertyDined on 7/16/2014I returned to Zengo for Summer Restaurant Week lunch after going there during Restaurant Week a few years ago. It was just as good this time around. Excellent food and, great service. The only constructive feedback I have is that on the day my friend I went the dining area was over air conditioned. I would go again and recommend it to others.Special Features:
- Poor service, cold foodKparkVIPDined on 7/15/2014We had to hunt down our waiter. The cod was cold and the food took forever to arrive. This was my third time at Zengo and we were all disappointed.Special Features:
- Good place for lunchNycflipVIPDined on 7/15/2014Had the bento box. Seemed like there was very little food, but at the end of the meal, you realize that it was just perfect portions. The green papaya salad was great without being overwhelming, grilled skirt steak was very tasty and enjoyed the zengo sushi.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sangria & Fluke CevicheBevBVIPDined on 7/14/2014The red sangria at Zengo was absolutely wonderful and the fluke ceviche was off the charts. Zengo also makes a nice change for a business dinner from the traditional steakhouse - the booth seating ensures privacy for a business conversation which is great and the noise level was energetic but quiet enough that we could have a great discussion over wonderful food.Special Features:
- yummyOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/14/2014tuna tacos are amazing and love the miso cod, great atmosphere with nice view. Really good food.Special Features: