Zengo - NYC
622 Third Avenue
New York, NY 10017Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $31 to $50
Zengo - NYC
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.richardsandoval.com/zengony
- Phone: 2128088110
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Asian
- Executive Chef: Richard Sandoval
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Entertainment: HAPPY HOUR Monday-Friday, 5-7 at the bar.
- Special Events: Please contact Irene Costello, our Special Events Manager, at 212.808.8110 for more information regarding your next special event.
A word from Zengo - NYC
Zengo is a sophisticated blend of Latin-Asian styles and flavors. Chef Richard Sandoval, whose accolades include Bon Appétit Restaurateur of the Year and Mexico’s Toque d’Oro, artfully spins Latin-Asian ingredients into beautifully balanced dishes. Light preparations and tasting portions invite sampling and sharing a variety of items. To complement the cuisine, Zengo offers one of the largest collections of tequila and agave-based spirits in the United States. Guests may sample over 400 varieties in the downstairs Tequila Library. Zengo also boasts an extensive list of Latin wines and Japanese sakes, which are best enjoyed at the mezzanine level Wine & Sake Bar. The cocktail menu showcases Latin-Asian classics made with fine spirits and fresh, hand-muddled fruits.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAsian
Zengo - NYC - Best Restaurants in Midtown East ›
Zengo - NYC reviews from OpenTable diners
157 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (75)good for groups (71)special occasion (54)neighborhood gem (46)great for lunch (42)vibrant bar scene (41)hot spot (39)romantic (34)late-night find (17)great for brunch (15)notable wine list (12)scenic view (7)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Best for tapas & cocktailsVgirl007VIPDined on 9/26/2014Great atmosphere, lively bar scene with amazing cocktails. Food is delicious but entree portion sizes may fall short , especially the scallops.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmedNewYorkNewbyDined on 9/23/2014The food was so-so to bland. We had a forgettable sushi from the appetizer section. The scallop cerviche was tasty but soupy and was served with chopsticks and forks; neither were particularly helpful. the arepas were fine with the pork having good flavor and the shrimp and chorizo was also quite good. The main reason I would not return is that in New York there are just too many really good restaurants to return to on that is expensive and just ok.
- Uneven QualityHedgehogVIPDined on 9/23/2014Nice room, nice location, nice menu - but apparently someone in charge has decided that it's not going to be about the food. To be sure, some dishes are fine, especially on the vegetable/salad side, BUT they served a chicken empanada that was borderline inedible - the chicken must have been left over from some local summer camp cafeteria, it was old, stale, and distasteful. When there are so many restaurants around that take pride in their cooking and make sure every dish reaching the table is excellent, why should anyone put up with this?
- a good and pretty placebabkaDined on 9/22/2014It is most enjoyable at Zengo - its spacious, service is good, the food varies yet good. I will go back and send friends.Special Features:
- Nothing beats poor serviceWillEStyle3VIPDined on 9/20/2014This is about the third time I have eaten here and it usually very good, however what my wife and experienced on last Saturday night was horrible service. The response we got from the manager after waiting for appetizers " I checked you have been waiting for ten minutes, you are not the only table". There were not many tables so I would hate to see if they were busy. The server was not attentive until presenting the check. I am at a lost for words... needless to say I will not return.
- Love ZengoMidtownerVIPDined on 9/19/2014My boyfriend and I come to Zengo all the time. They always treat us so well, and the food is delicious! Thank you!Special Features:
- Stay awayMichaelDined on 9/13/2014The food was great, but the service was so miserable--both slow and obnoxious, from hostess to wait staff--that I couldn't recommend Zengo. Service had been better in past. Would definitely recommend food if Zengo fixes service problems.
- Love this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/13/2014We needed a restaurant that could cater to our son's vegetarian girlfriend and immediately thought of Zengo. Their vegetarian menu is not extensive, but she deemed the food delicious. As did our son. We have been to Zengo many times and love the small plates. And the atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice business lunchamstrauDined on 9/12/2014We went for a professional lunch, and it was a great experience. The service was very professional and accommodating. The food was terrific. The tuna tacos and shrimp lettuce wraps were so delicious! The only complaint was that our table had the sun beaming straight down on us the whole time and it was a little tough to see.Special Features:
- PleasedPatronDined on 9/5/2014Great food and friendly and helpful staff. Beautifully decorated and perfect seating for either a small intimate meal or a large group.Special Features:
- Inventive creativesbyontheislandVIPDined on 8/30/2014Excellent fusion of Asian and Mexican ingredients and seasonings make for an original and delicious dining experience in a beautiful place. The service is professional and friendly. The design of the restaurant is on of the best - intimate and spacious at the same time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Couldn't as for anything else!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/29/2014The menu is awesome as it changes seasonally. We were a group of 4. Our waiter was awesome, honest and knowledgable about the food. We only ate from the appetizers which was all perfect! The bar downstairs is dark and come and make sure you try a tequilla tasting! Enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good spotDineNotDashDined on 8/29/2014Original menu. Great food. Good service. Smart ambience. Will go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- this was my fourth visit to ZengobabkaDined on 8/29/2014I wanted to check their regular lunch menu. my friend enjoyed his choices. I did not enjoy mine at all. Especially the second course of Korean fried chicked. I dont know what was Korean about it, except that is smelt of fish sauce, and it was soft and soggy and tasteless. But they called it Korean??????? daliaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!WonderWoman63Dined on 8/28/2014We went to Zengo's for a birthday dinner based on a recommendation we received and didn't know what to expect. We had a great time there and the food was terrific. We loved their concept of sharing our choices (i.e., family style) and would definitely recommend the restaurant and eat there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Appetizer HeavenNomNomNomVIPDined on 8/28/2014All of the food here is delicious, but my husband and I always agree that the appetizers are the best part. I recommend ordering a bunch of appetizers to share and skipping the entree.
- UESFOODIEVIPDined on 8/27/2014I was pleasantly surprised when I arrived at Zeno. Came after work for drinks and appetizers. Had the Thai chicken empanadas, Tuna tacos, calamari salad and the Zengo tuna roll. The first two appetizers were the best; enjoyed the calamari salad but would pass next time on the tuna roll (not rolled well--falling apart and nothing special and overpriced for what it is). They could lose the rice in the tuna taco too. The decor was very attractive and different--interesting use of wood, ceilings and fixtures and lighting. The service was very good and the food was delicious. I would definitely come back for lunch.Special Features:
- NBomarDined on 8/26/2014I planned a birthday lunch for my colleague and she loved the food and service. Staff were very attentive and even gave us a birthday surprise dessert at the end of our meal with a lit candle included!! Love Zengo and will definitely return to try the other dishes!Special Features:
- Great food, tiny portionsannierDined on 8/25/2014The food was quite good, (pricey) but there was not enough of it. I was hungry two hours later. Service was very professional and the interior of the restaurant was lovely. The noise level became a bit much. I might or might not go back.Special Features:
- It was pretty good-ChrisDined on 8/22/2014We ordered a bunch of small plates and tapas. Overall, we enjoyed it thoroughly. However, the potstickers had NO flavor (like none, zilch, zero). That was made up for by just about everything else (especially the amazing scallop ceviche, highly recommend it!). Service was a little wonky. Our waiter appeared immediately, gave us some drink suggestions and asked what type of water we wanted. He brought the water and took the drink order very quickly, and brought the drinks quickly. And then... we waited. And waited. Some of our stuff came about half an hour later and some of it came about 45 minutes after that. The waiter never checked in, but the manager took a second drink order. In short, food was pretty good, service, ehhhhhhhhhSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, mediocre serviceDiannaVIPDined on 8/20/2014The food is pretty good but the service is very inconsistent. We started out getting attention but once our food came, the wait staff disappeared. I had to flag someone down for water, a dessert menu, and the check. They pretty much forgot about us after dinner was served. Disappointing since the food and ambiance are positives.
- Interesting cuisine...in a good wayZooboyDined on 8/19/2014If your looking for small, quiet romantic bistro this is not the place... The restaurant is very large,its location near Grand Central Station is very convenient. On a Tuesday night it was nearly full, with mostly a younger crowd. The menu was a Latin/Asian fusion which I found very interesting and tasty. The Latin flatbread was excellent, the Korean fried chicken was very good... very crispy, light, not oily, extremely tender inside... the spicy red sauce was excellent. Service was attentive and pleasant. Pricing while not a bargain (there are none in that area) was not outrageous. Shared entree, appetizer and desert, two glasses of wine, one beer and two coffees $100 + tip. I would go back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place in the neighborhoodFoodhunterVIPDined on 8/18/2014Zengo is one of the best options in midtown east and a great alternative during the week.Special Features:
- Had a romantic Friday eveningZac29Dined on 8/15/2014We went to Zengo last Friday. Overall had a very nice experience. Our server was really courteous and friendly. We ordered mostly off the vegetarian menu - sushi was average but the crispy tofu was excellent. My wife really enjoyed the shrimp lettuce wraps. Also the ambience was really nice - we got a quiet booth, which was perfect for the evening. I would definitely recommend the place.Special Features:
- Great, unique dishesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014The food here is solid. My friend and I ordered a bunch of the smaller dishes and did tapas style. The food was really good and I liked the variety of food selection. My only complaint is as the night went on, the service got slower and slower. I'd rate it 9/10Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique Asian-Latino foodjdvjessDined on 8/15/2014I came to Zengo because of a TravelZoo voucher and was impressed by the tasty, unique appetizers I ordered. The mushroom flatbread was delicious as well as the Angry Sushi roll, scallop ceviche, and lump crab guacamole nachos. The server was very attentive and knowledgeable and the decor added to the unique experience.Special Features:
- I went to Zengo three timesbabkaDined on 8/15/2014Each visit was great. The food varied a bit in success - and the presentations varied - but always good.the Restaurant is very pretty and the space is very pleasant. I would definitely go there all the time -and recommend it to others.Special Features:
- NOISY NOISY NOISYBeachBumNYCDined on 8/14/2014Very good food and service, reasonably priced, but not an ideal place for a dinner conversation unless you like to say and hear "I'm sorry, could you repeat what you just said" over and over and over... Four of us agreed that we could return without hesitation, but the noise level will keep us from doing so.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food and service!foodconnoisseur87Dined on 8/12/2014The food was amazing and the waiter was on top of everything. I went for restaurant week and a steak I ordered was not to my delight. The waiter and manager were in it and quickly made everything right. The combination of great food and excellent service was very refreshing. I will definitely be visiting them again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TPanamaComidaseliciosaNYCRW14Dined on 8/12/2014The Latin/Asian fusion is delicious. The choices on lunch and dinner menus are great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- super yummy!groovyfoodieDined on 8/11/2014food came quickly out of the kitchen. admirable, unique menu. restaurant decor is insane - such beautiful lighting and wood!Special Features:
- great food and locationwineanddineDined on 8/8/2014Minutes from Grand Central and great mix of Latin and Asian mix.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014Excellent service. I was told that last seating is at 2:15pm because the kitchen closes soon. I showed up at 2 but my date showed up at 2:30. Waitress was extremely understanding and accomodating. Still felt very welcomed despite us pushing it with the timing. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Happy Hour!!fancienanDined on 8/7/2014We have been to Zengo twice. First time was for Happy Hour. Loved it! Had great drinks at a great price AND, great appys for $5 each! Really good sushi rolls included. Most recent time we went for dinner. Of course the drinks were much more $, but still very good. LOVE the Angry Zengo sushi roll! Did not love the Thai Chicken empanadas. Nice crispy outside, but mushy, nondescript filling. Tuna tacos were excellent, as was the Zengo fried rice. I would go back, especially for Happy Hour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food !!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/2/2014The menu choices are very creative and very tasty. Beautiful decor - great findingSpecial Features:
- love2enjoyDined on 8/1/2014Delicious ceviche and sushi. Wait staff not so great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The reviews had me fooled!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/1/2014I read several reviews saying how great this restaurant was. However, I found the food bland and rather mediocre. I had the sea bass which had no taste. My husband had the lamb and it was chewy. The dessert mousse seemed hard. I will not return.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/1/2014The restaurant week menu is impressive. Will certainly look forward to another lunch with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experience; had better beforeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/31/2014I've been to Zengo several times this year. It is a great place, with good food, service and ambience. This time (during Restaurant Week - which I know is extra busy) the service wasn't as great. The opinion of one of my friends, who previously was a hostess/waitress, was that our waitress could have addressed our delay in knowing what we wanted to order in a better way and also been a bit more attentive throughout the meal. The food was good, some dishes shining over others. The himachi tiradito was excellent, as was the charred tuna tacos & arepas. The Volcano roll is not as impressive. One of my friends got the Restaurant Week Carne a la Parrilla, which was fantastic. The drinks were spot on; the serrano cucumber martini was exquisite.
- Tasty Latin Asian FusionWendeenycVIPDined on 7/30/2014Great small plates for sharing as well as inventive entrees makes Zengo a fun place for a date or dinner with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.