Zen Sushi Bistro
Millbrae, CA 94030Neighborhood:
SushiPrice: $30 and under
Zen Sushi Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.zenbistromillbrae.com/
- Phone: (650) 697-9988
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Everyday 11:30am-2:30pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday 5pm-9:30pm
Friday - Saturday 5pm-10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese, Asian
- Executive Chef: Sano
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: For catering of $300 or more please place your order 24 hours in advance.
- Entertainment: Zen Bistro's lounge hours make it the place to be on Friday and Saturday nights. The innovative design and ambiance provide for a great place to gather with friends, enjoy music, and sample the after hours menu or huge sake selection.
- Special Events: - Mondays- All Night Happy Hour! $2 Drinks, $4 Appetizers & $5 Sushi Rolls
- Wednesdays -$1 Oysters and $1 small house sake
- Thursdays- All Sushi Roll are $7 (Roll Out Thursdays)
A word from Zen Sushi Bistro
Zen Sushi Bistro is a refreshingly new chic restaurant that offers a casual dining experience in a hip and classy environment. The head chef,Sano, offers a diverse menu of Japanese cuisine at a reasonable price, including a variety of creative and tasty sushi, donburi, udon, and sukiyaki. On Friday and Saturday nights, Zen Bistro's lounge hours, until 2:00 a.m., provide for a great place to gather with friends, listen to music, and sample the after hour's menu or huge selection of sake. Whether it be the excellent food or the innovative ambiance, Zen Bistro brings a new era dining and lounge experience to Millbrae designed to satisfy a wide range of customers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSushi
Zen Sushi Bistro - Best Restaurants in Millbrae ›
Zen Sushi Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
18 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (8)fit for foodies (6)neighborhood gem (5)great for lunch (3)kid-friendly (3)late-night find (2)romantic (2)great for outdoor dining (1)special occasion (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- OK food but excellent serviceGlobalTravelerNDinerVIPDined on 11/6/2014Food was just mediocre. Oyster shooter was too salty for my taste while the sushi and sashimi were just OK. The service was very good and we were impressed.
- Quality sushi; Modern atmosphereEastBayCustomerVIPDined on 9/26/2014Quality sushi; Modern atmosphere and excellent wait staff serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Come here offerVeronicaDined on 9/18/2014This place is awesome , always happy with our sushi Thursday!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent DinnerJetmaidDined on 8/14/2014Best to arrive within a hour of opening, gets very busy and entrees can be a bit slow coming. Food was excellent, our server made a couple of good suggestions. Thursday nights with all Sushi Rolls at $7, makes for a popular restaurant. Parking lot next door makes it very convenient. Grilled Asparagus was delicious. A great restaurant.Special Features:
- The following 161 reviews are from the Zen Sushi Bistro reviews archive.
- 1 1/2 hours is too long for dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/17/2014If you're in a restaurant business an 1 1/2 hours for dinner is too long. Unless you are a very upscale romantic restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Discovered $7 ThursdaykwycoffDined on 7/17/2014Get there at 5:00 when they open, like we did, and you will have no problem getting a table or getting your food quickly. We discovered that on Thursdays every roll is $7, which for some rolls is more than 50% off! We ordered 7 different rolls for our group of 6 and they were quickly gobbled up and we ordered 4 more. Everything was excellent. Completely delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome sushiMarcTVIPDined on 7/3/2014This was my second time visiting Zen Bistro. My wife and I decided to go on a Thursday night because they have a special running on Thursdays: all sushi rolls are only $7. Needless to say, we ordered four excellent rolls! The service is fast and efficient, and the sushi arrived about seven minutes after we had ordered it. Our server was good, although not possessed of much personality. Definitely can't want to go back again and try something new!Special Features:
- Attentive wait staffBioWriterDined on 6/26/2014Very friendly and attentive staff. We were especially pleased to see that families with small children were welcomed. The food was delicious and very well presented. Sushi rolls are half price on Thursdays so be sure to make a reservation if you're planning on dinner in Millbrae on that night.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/21/2014Been here before and enjoyed everything, but last night Zen seemed a little off. Food was not as tasty or presented as beautifully. Loved the waiter!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time great foodPittVisitorVIPDined on 6/20/2014This was our first time at Zen Bistro. The sushi and sashimi were excellent. We will definitely be back.
- Awsome 7$ sushi ThursdayOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/19/2014Good sushi place, food took a bit too long,that was the only drawback. But very good food and serviceI would recommend this to a friend.
- great food and servicefoodmommyDined on 6/15/2014Menu had more items and rolls than your average Japanese neighborhood restaurant. There were so many out-of-the-ordinary dishes that we wanted to try, but will have to come back to do so. Had blue fin tuna on the menu, which indicates this restaurant is really Japanese fine dining. We had 6 adults and 2 toddlers in our group and felt comfortable. All the food came out about 15-20 minutes after our order. Server was great and friendly. Place started to get packed towards dinner time. Making reservations is highly recommended. It took a while to get the bill, maybe because we didn't ask for it. Furniture is mediocre but food and service make up for it.Special Features:
- Fantastic food!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/4/2014The sushi choices were fantastic and delicious! The only down side was the wait for the checkSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not great, but goodRachVIPDined on 6/1/2014We got there right at opening, so not many people were there. The server was clearly in training, so there were a few things he missed, but he was pleasant and made a good effort. We had a few kinds of rolls, a salad, and edamame. Everything was delicious, and we enjoyed the Snap Dragon wines (Cabernet & Riesling). The orange mouse tart was first served frozen, but then replaced for one that was ready to eat. The only thing that really turned me off was the conditions of the seats. Most of the coverings were disintegrating. Overall, it was a good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice little spotCasualDinerDined on 5/31/2014came here looking to try a new Japanese/sushi place and discovered a pleasant surprise. liked the modern decor. service was prompt. tried a dinner combo box and 2 rolls (I forget the names). the teriyaki chicken & salmon were both were prepared well. the fish in the sashimi & rolls were fresh. great spot to come back in the futureSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wouldn't go backhighstandardsDined on 5/30/2014Beat up furniture, no sparkling water, sushi was average, waiter in training was very sweet but not a good waiter.Special Features:
- I love Thursday $7 rollnotthatgoodDined on 5/22/2014We made reservation for 7 people and there is last minute change and we have to add 5 more people. They are very accomodating and add extra table so we are able to have a group of 12 on the spot. Their food is very acceptable. Their appetizer is tasty and the price is reasonable. The waitress is very friendly. I love the place, the food and the people.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice decorTJae7513Dined on 5/22/2014Came here on a Thursday for the $7 all sushi rolls promo. Who can beat that?! Decor is modern and hip, service was great. Tried some Walu sashimi, ehh wasn't completely defrosted.. I've never had icy Walu before definitely a first. As for the rolls, nothing special. I'd only come back on a Thursday.
- Sushi done by Japanese peoplePaxleeDined on 5/22/2014I would have walked right by this place and never booked if it wasn't for the reviews here but I certainly wasn't disappointed. (You will be if you don't reserve - they are very busy and fill up fast!) The Sushi was amazing and the menu was extensive. This is Sushi done by Japanese people with Sushi training; they know their stuff. Great service, knowledgeable staff. Prices were very reasonable. Thursday is $7 Sushi specials, well worth remembering. I would highly recommend and will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- out of townersdewsDined on 5/9/2014We were staying in milbrae for a wine tour the following day and we ate here because the reviews were good. We made reservations online fast and easy. We were seated within 5 mins upon arriving. It's a hip place with great sushi and good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second time theresteveVIPDined on 4/12/2014We has three pork ramen's and a California roll. The food was average and the service was poor. I had to keep calling the wait staff every time i wanted something. They should check in on their customer more often. I will give this place one more try.Special Features:
- Disappointing experiencePhyllbarbDined on 2/18/2014We have been here before and were expecting outstanding food. We ordered a number of smaller plates instead of a dinner. The beef rolls were mediocre as was the yake soba. The othe dishes we had werent bad but nothing special. The best thing we had was a special sushi which was quite delicious. We have definitely had better food in other Japanese restaurants.Special Features:
- A quality sushi joint!RoblikessushiDined on 2/16/2014Large selection of sushi options made it worthwhile to try something new. Very fresh food. A little pricey but noticeably better food than most sushi restaurants. Service was far better than average for a slow to moderately slower evening. This was our first visit and we'd definitely go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Roll Specials on Thursdays!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/13/2014Visited with a friend who was in from out of town. Was very pleasantly surprised to find that they had specially priced rolls on the night that we happened to dine there. Taste and quality were good, and you can't beat the discounted prices!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- doo-ooo-kay-laa = it's just okAries94404Dined on 2/8/2014food was actually good. Wait person lacked attention and focus. Perhaps needs more experience, training, and common sense.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great VarietySusie214Dined on 2/4/2014I loved the different types of sushi they had to offerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly Staff and prompt serviceschuDined on 1/31/2014Everybody is friendly and greet you promptly. Food is good with decent portion. Price is reasonable and they offer special deal. Foods come out quickly without 10 minutes. They have a lot of special rolls to choose from. We will definitely come back to try their other rolls.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- price too high, food portion too smsushiluvr8Dined on 1/25/2014Waiter very aggresive in pushing high priced items. Seats old with broken cover and dirty bathroom.Special Features:
- Nice atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/11/2014Situated on a popular street in Millbrae with other shops and restaurants. Could be cozy enough for a couple's night out, but is also kid-friendly for families. Rolls are good, especially the crunchy California roll. The tempura is also excellent. Is a tad pricey for what you get, but the restaurant has a special "roll night" one night during the week, which has their rolls at a discount. Will definitely have to check it out again on that night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingFoodFanDined on 12/21/2013Compare to the price, the taste of the food is very disappointing. Everything is too sweet. I like sweet, but even for me, they are too sweet! Nothing WOWING. We were seated at a table behind a glass partition, there was a group in the corner that is LOUD (not energetic, more of annoying). Being behind the partition, the sound is amplified. Very annoying. Our server is the best feature of our visit. I don't think I will come back here.
- Spectacular lobster sashimirwarkovVIPDined on 12/18/2013Have eaten much sushi elsewhere over the years. Have also cooked and consumed more than my fare share of New England lobster. This was one of the most memorable ways of preparing lobster I have ever tried. Live lobster, tail cut and served sashimi style, then remainder of lobster cooked in a fantastic spicy ramen noodle soup. Truly extraordinary. My first time here, really memorable, will be back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So many optionsGraceDined on 12/14/2013The menu had so many options but they all felt like they were very similar with very subtle differences. Just so many options that it felt overwhelming to pick and choose. For some reason, this place had lots of families with young children coming here. I don't have a problem with kids, but these all seem to have the kids that would hollar and scream, so it was noisy. Then there was only 2 waitresses in the whole place, which wasn't too bad for the size of the restaurant. But two times I asked a bus-boy and a different waitress who brought our food (but not our main waitress) for a straw, and they both didn't bring it out. Our main waitress was great though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok SushiOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/5/2013I am picky about my sushi. This place has ok sushi. Its not the best its not the worst. Its about average for sushi in the area.Special Features:
- Tasty Japanese foodYukofDined on 10/29/2013I went to Zen Bistro for dinner with my husband. We had grilled asparagus, Agedashi tofu, Rock N' Roll, a combination dinner of California roll, chicken teriyaki and Tempura. They were all tasty. Then we ordered a cream puff and a snowball, which weren't so good. We should have ordered some other desserts. The service was very good and we enjoyed our eating out. I would hghly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not cheap for that small food.AmandaDined on 10/27/2013Not cheap for that small food. That doesn't match the Yelp's $$ sign.
- Modern decor. Service wasn'tCherieVIPDined on 10/25/2013Modern decor. Service wasn't bad but could be a bit more personable. Food was good. We ordered the some bento boxes, gyoza, dragon roll, tokyo ramenchicken, tuna tataki and cold sake. A little on the pricey side but the food was almost good enough to justify the cost.Special Features:
- First timeVeronicaDined on 10/24/2013We came here for the first time on a Thursday, had no idea they had all rolls $7. To say the least, we will be coming back! Food was fantastic, they were very busy so service was ok but it was efficient. Thumbs up!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thursday is Value Rolls!KAS1VIPDined on 10/24/2013We visited on a Thursday and found they offered $7 for any roll on their menu. Made the choice for rolls very easy! Many of the rolls had tempura or were lightly deep fried. A bit too much fry for us but we still managed to consume about 4 rolls between the 3 of us. We also had a bowl of their varied sashimi and it was delicious. The prices were normal for sushi and incredibly inexpensive on their $7 Roll Thursday. Fun place. Nice job. Unexpected find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food: good, service need to improveZenReviewerVIPDined on 10/11/2013Had dinner with my wife at the restaurant. Sushi was fresh. Food was good. However service need improvement. After taking our order, the server didn't return to check with us after we've almost finished our food. We had to wait for her to add some tea. Then, after we finished our dinner, she came by to give us the dessert menu. However, she didn't come back to take our order for over 20min. We decided to ask for the check (from another server) instead.Special Features:
- FUN for sushi and izakayaChrisDined on 9/20/2013Sushi is featured, but their small plates, izakaya, was fun and yummy. The grilled asparagus was delicious. Their nigiri hamachi was incredibly generous - the huge thick slice of very fresh hamachi was an unexpected surprise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.