115 East 18th Street
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
Vegetarian / VeganPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.zenpalate.com/
- Phone: 2123878885
- Hours of Operation:
Mon-Thu: 11:15am-11:00pm Fri-Sat: 11:15am-11:30pm Sun : 12:00noon-11:pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vegetarian / Vegan, Asian, Chinese
- Executive Chef: Chien-Cheng Yu
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: ZEN PALATE offers catering for any special event. Private room available for organization event, business meeting, birthday party, baby shower, fare ware party, or meet up event.
- Special Events: Daily Happy Hour from 4to 7. The best happy hour in the Union Square area. Private room available for group party, birthday party, business meeting, or any other occasion.
A word from ZEN PALATE
Zen Palate, "where vegetables and imagination meets" as The New York Times proclaims, and the place Zagat calls "a meatless nirvana". Since 1991, with the belief that health, great taste and a great dining experience can all obtained at the same time, Zen Palate has been devoutly and honorably serving the New York community with our fusion vegetarian fare. Our goal is to enlighten our customers through their sense of taste by offering delicious, vibrant, freshly prepared and beautifully presented vegetarian dishes, served by our passionate servers in a tranquil and modern environment. For over 19 years we have insisted on using the freshest and highest quality vegetarian ingredients (which covers more than 60 different plants and flowers from various culinary cultures) prepared by our expertly trained chefs.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
ZEN PALATE reviews from OpenTable diners
- Food was outstanding and reasonablySihudsonVIPDined on 10/1/2012Food was outstanding and reasonably priced. We really enjoyed the evening, healthy eating, cocktails and good place to take a friend and catch up/relax.Special Features:
- Had a late lunch for two.DarkKnightDined on 8/29/2012Had a late lunch for two. Nearly empty restaurant because of time of day. Wide choice for vegetarians. Food well prepared and promptly served. Delicious. Basic decor and surroundings. No complaints.Special Features:
- One word... Bad. We were theOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/27/2012One word... Bad. We were the only ones in the entire restaurant and I had to send my food back.
- Skip this place.OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/17/2012As a vegetarian, I appreciate an all-vegetarian cuisine. However, everything at Zen Palate was a disappointment. The food was lukewarm, the new waiter brought food before silverware, had trouble locating our wine, so brought a bottle from the bar 3/4 full, and sat us upstairs where the decor is falling a part. I was sorely disappointed across the board and wouldn't recommend this for anyone -- maybe a quick lunch spot.
- Enjoyed the foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/3/2012Food was delicious - service and ambience was okay. We had a 10pm booking, and it was fairly quiet...for a Friday night. The cocktails were delicious - I would definitely recommend this place for the food and the cocktails.
- We went there for mothersOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/13/2012We went there for mothers Day. Service was quick and food well displayed and tasted great. Would go back againSpecial Features:
- Wonderful vegetarian food.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/5/2012Wonderful vegetarian food. Love the medallions, the cantonese noodles. Both were a bog hit even with my kids.Special Features:
- Zen Palate offered a veryTomCDined on 5/4/2012Zen Palate offered a very extensive menu with very tasty recipes. Would recommend to all.
- ZenOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/3/2012I met a friend for lunch. We had a window seat. Waiter was very welcoming and answered any questions that we had. We chose from the lunch menu and the meals arrived within a few minutes. They did check in with us to see if we needed anything. I was eating rather slowly as I was conversing much with my friend. That lead to the waiter asking me if a few times if I was finished with my meal. After the third time he asked, I simply told him that I would let him know when I was done. There were empty tables available, so I know that it was not done to "turn over" the table. I believe he was trying to keep us within a reasonable lunch hour, not knowing that we had planned for a bit longer than an hour. Ambiance was very nice as well.Special Features:
- Great Vegetarian/Vegan JapaneseOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/20/2012A great vegetarian / vegan dining spot in the heart of NYC. Food is wonderful, fresh, and beautifully presented. Definitely one of my "must visit restaurants" when in NYC.Special Features:
- Professional friendly staff.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/23/2012Professional friendly staff. Excellent, flavorful food. Tasty and piping hot.Special Features:
- Although coffee was listedJeffreyGLVIPDined on 3/23/2012Although coffee was listed on the menu it was not available. Some servers did not speak fluent English..
- Awesome food at a great priceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/23/2012Awesome food at a great price for vegetarians. Even if you're not vegetarian, great place to try vegetarian food for the first time. I'm not a vegetarian and this is one of my favorite restaurants!Special Features:
- Overrated restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/9/2012Very poor customer service. The waiters hardly paid attention even though there were any customers. Food was not bad, but definitely not worth going the second time.
- Nothing specialOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/7/2012This place has no meat. Nice feature, but nothing special in terms of food
- I go to Zen Palate at leastOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/25/2012I go to Zen Palate at least once a month, and my friends and I thoroughly enjoy it.Special Features:
- The food was very tasty andDeanPDined on 2/21/2012The food was very tasty and the presentation was good. If you enjoy eating Asian food and vegetarian I think you will enjoy this restaurant.Special Features:
- amazingly good, healthy food.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/16/2012amazingly good, healthy food. unique vegetable combinations with lots of different textures, so you never miss the meat. I love that they experiment (successfully) with different ethnic flavors.Special Features:
- The food was very good andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/16/2012The food was very good and our server gave us some great recommendations. Would definitely go there again - best vegetarian food I've ever had.Special Features:
- So soOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/14/2012It'd been great but the unfortunately disinterested server. Granted it was Valentine's Day evening, but he looked so disinterested that he slightly dulled our evening. On the plus side, the very quiet interior plus the comfortable and reasonably private seating in the booths made up for some of the server's dour self. The food was alright, the Taste of Curry being ok and the Mango Halo being neither halo (a Filipino dish I know well) nor sweet (it was intentionally sour but as light on the ingredients, leaving us with that hungry feeling). I don't think I'll be back but it was a nice place.Special Features:
- S'okOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2012Good food. Staff was fairly lackadaisical, but not as bad as other vegetarian/vegan restaurants I've been to. At least they didn't sigh like a bored school child when we added on to or slightly changed our order (looking at you Angelica Kitchen). Overall they were pretty ok. Food was good and that's what really mattersSpecial Features:
- We went to the union squareOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2012We went to the union square branch. Food was good but service was horrible. Had to wait 15 minutes to just get water. The people on the table across from us arrived 10 minutes after we did but by the time we got our appetizers they were already having dessert, that's how slow our waiter was. Would not go again to this branch. I have been to the 9th avenue location and even though thats a bit small the experience was much better there.
- If the food is this good canOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 2/14/2012If the food is this good can it really be vegetarian? New location not as attractive as the old one but the quality of the dishes remains very high.
- Delicious food, inconsistent servicOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/11/2012Impressed with the large selection of dishes. Had the Dharma - Very delicious and would recommend that dish again. Taro Rolls were okay. When we asked one waiter what the specials were and what he recommended, he seemed to not know the menu at all and didn't know any what the restaurant's specialities/popular dishes were. Then asked another waiter who was much more helpful with suggestions so the service is hit or miss.Special Features:
- Zen Palate= Zen BellykaratequeenDined on 2/7/2012Vegetarian food so incredibily delicious it can easily turn a carnivorous lion into a veggie-craving kitten. We ordered the Shredded Heaven and MooShu Fantasia, together it was "Heavenly Fantasia".Special Features:
- Everything is terrific atOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 2/2/2012Everything is terrific at Zen Palate- outstanding, unique, beautifully presented vegetarian fare- in a lovely setting with a very attentive and thoughtful staff.Special Features:
- Evem after all these years,OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/31/2012Evem after all these years, still on the short list for vegan food in New York. Consistently good snd reasonably priced, with a lunch specisl thst is downright cheap.Special Features:
- tasty and unique options forOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 1/29/2012tasty and unique options for vegetarians (or those who like veggie meals). great location near union square. clean. good atmosphere.Special Features:
- Food was good with unusualOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/21/2012Food was good with unusual vegetarian choices. Service was excellent. Ambience was fun and playful. Would most definitely return!Special Features:
- I've been a vegetarian forOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/12/2012I've been a vegetarian for years, and with the recent boom of great veggie restaurants in NYC this place really needs to improve on it's fair. The only thing worse than the food was the service, which was inattentive, rude and even dismissive at times.
- We did not like the food,OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 1/4/2012We did not like the food, and wait staff didn't really seem to know much about the actual ingredients in the food, or made up stuff. Do not go here if you have any food allergies!
- As always, food was good toNewYorkerDined on 12/30/2011As always, food was good to very good. Fresh and imaginative. Music was too loud and was told that it couldn't be turned down any lower. If you are going to have a quiet, zen-like dining experience, loud, contemporary music is doing the opposite. Lighting was too low such that one had difficulty reading the menu. Lighting on each table needs to be brighter. Service was at time inattentive.Special Features:
- Two of us went he enjoyedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/30/2011Two of us went he enjoyed his dinner - good sauce, mine was a bit bland. Lots of food on the plate. Bench seats not comfortable.Special Features:
- We were put in the back roomssfsDined on 12/28/2011We were put in the back room and then seemingly forgotten about. This was very incongruous with the great food and the otherwise cordial manners of the employees.Special Features:
- Perfect! Tasteful and surprisingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/21/2011Perfect! Tasteful and surprising Big plates Nice staff ..... I should say almost perfect! :) Highly recommand!!
- Ambience of the restaurantJoyceVIPDined on 12/9/2011Ambience of the restaurant was nice, food was okay but service was very poor. Waiters were not attentive to diners. I tried to get the attention of our waiter, or any other waiter, but was not able to. I was on my to speak to the waiter when the hostess came up to me and asked if everythng was fine. Told her for the last five minutes I was trying to get the attention of our waiter to no avail. I overheard her reprimand the waiters for just "hanging around" instead of waiting on diners.Special Features:
- As good as it was in 1996OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/4/2011I returned to New York City for the first time since leaving in 1996. I made a point to go back to Zen Palate. It did not disappoint. If you want creative, vegetarian Chinese food, this is the place for you.
- Very cozy, pretty restaurant.StephUDined on 12/3/2011Very cozy, pretty restaurant. I wasn't overly impressed by the food, but it was good for the price and my Wild Orchid Martini was excellent.Special Features:
- Food was delicious and beautifullyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/3/2011Food was delicious and beautifully presented....in stark contrast to the shabby decor.
- Went there for a birthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/1/2011Went there for a birthday with some coworkers. Everyone loved the food (even meat-eaters), place was a bit empty though it was a Thursday night. Service was good, not on our heads but available and helpful with the menu. Was a bit apprehensive after checking out some reviews but it really was a great place! Not sure why it was so empty, though.Special Features: