Zen Japanese Restaurant
101 - 2232 Marine Drive
West Vancouver, BC V7V 1K4Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
Zen Japanese Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.zensushi.ca/
- Phone: (604) 925-0667
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 12:00 pm - 9:15 pm
Friday and Saturday: 12:00 pm - 9:30 pm
Sunday and Holidays: 5:00 pm - 9:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Fusion / Eclectic, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Nobu Ochi
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We offer catering services ranging from simple take out orders to full on-site catering. We have a portable sushi bar that we can set up at any venue. Full catering menus are available upon request. Please contact the restaurant for further information.
- Private Party Facilities: Zen can also be the perfect venue for your next corporate dinner party. Special occasions and private functions are also welcomed. Please contact the restaurant for further information regarding menu options.
- Private Party Contact: Jun Park 6046715374x
A word from Zen Japanese Restaurant
The term “edible art” is an appropriate way of describing Zen’s menu. Inspired by traditional Japanese cuisine, the inventive menu is heavily influenced by the abundance of wonderful West Coast seafood and produce. The premium is on quality, with the best offerings from Japan being served daily. Sushi and Sashimi creations are staples, but Zen has something special for any and all diners including a selection of highly innovative tempura, teppanyaki, and delicious robata (Japanese barbecue) highlighted by chicken yakitori, garlic short ribs, and simply grilled fresh fish. Adventurous diners can choose “omakase” and have our master chef put together the day’s finest selections. Zen’s knowledgeable staff will assist you in choosing the perfect beverage to accompany your meal from an unparalleled inventory of premium sake and specialized beer and wine lists. Zen is also a perfect venue for social and business gatheringsContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Zen Japanese Restaurant - Best Restaurants in West Vancouver ›
Zen Japanese Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
21 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (15)special occasion (13)fit for foodies (12)good for groups (9)great for outdoor dining (8)great for lunch (7)hot spot (6)scenic view (4)romantic (4)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- MontrosersDined on 11/5/2014Always consistently great. The Hamachi Peak is memorable. The butter Yaki is marvellous. The popcorn shrimp is delicious. The sushi and sashimi the best we have ever had....the rice is right and the nori is crisp.Special Features:
- Sushi with a twistOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/1/2014A cozy restaurant with a sushi bar and booths. A bit of a wait but the hostess kindly offered us some saki while waiting and service was great. The food however was the best, a variety of different types of sushi, not your standard sushi fare and everything was very tasty. We went with a group on so it was a great deal. It is a bit more pricey then your standard sushi restaurant but will worth it.Special Features:
- Fabulous DinnerLuvSushiDined on 9/6/2014Small, Quaint, and very busy!!! Food is fantastic, service great!!! I highly recommend making reservations!!Special Features:
- The TruththeTruthDined on 8/15/2014The freshest seafood prepared to perfection followed by the most amazing dessert capturing the best that August in Vancouver has to offer. A truly perfect meal - not to mention service that was impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luv2eatVIPDined on 8/11/2014We loved lunch at Zen. Food and service were both fantastic.Special Features:
- The following 136 reviews are from the Zen Japanese Restaurant reviews archive.
- Excellent foodFoodieVIPDined on 7/19/2014The food here is always freshly prepared by the chefs who are visible at the counter. Every item was absolutely delicious. The prawn tempura is to die for. The special dessert is always a culinary delight. The friendly and efficient service here is second to none.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No soft surfacesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/18/2014Love the food. Great staff. The decor is like a scientific experiment in making noise as echoey as possibly. There isn't one quiet table in the restaurant. Japanese restaurants use fabrics and wall partitions and organic materials to dissipate noise. It's intrinsic to the Japanese dining experience The Zen is like a ball pit at Ikea. I'd come there weekly but ...it's just so NOISY. They tried hard to get me a good seat but ...glass/ceramic/more glass/echo/echo/clank.
- delightedtheTruthDined on 6/26/2014The meal was so tasty I wanted to lick the plate to ensure I got every drop of the amazing sauces they drizzle with perfection and every bit was a delight. The service was fantastic - very knowledge about the menu and helped us put together the perfect combination of the best Japanese food we have ever had - you must go here.Special Features:
- Awesome food and serviceFoodieVIPDined on 6/14/2014This is our very favourite Japanese restaurant in the lower mainland The service is very friendly and extremely efficient. The food is always so fresh and so good. It never disappoints. From the time the hostess greets you to when you leave and the chefs behind the open counter thank you for coming you feel so welcome. This is a must for anyone who loves good service and great foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great AttentionNoCornDined on 5/24/2014I have some serious food allergies and chef Nobu really took care of me. He called ahead of time to talk about it and fed us well without any problems. The food was awesome and we will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Better than NobuOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/21/2014We recently ate at Nobu on Old Park Lane in London. Zen is head and shoulders above that restaurant. The food is prepared when you order, not in advance and everything is so fresh. We are so lucky to have such a wonderful World class Japanese restaurant in West Vancouver with fantastic staff, making it a great dining experience and a friendly venue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love the roll and sakefoodhuntersDined on 5/19/2014My family and I love Japanese food, however in Zen they serve very awesome roll that you will not find it in other Japanese restaurant. Do not miss Miso Gindara and Jalapeno Wraps, these are our favorite menus. Last but not least, I love the quaint and the hospitality of the staffs in Zen.Special Features:
- Excellent spot for the finestplumyplumDined on 4/13/2014Excellent spot for the finest Japanese food. Food was served very hot which was great too. Always greeted with very friendly staff.Special Features:
- Low key place, great Japanese foodLynxiDined on 3/29/2014We have been to Zen many times and have never been disappointed. There are so many delicious options, both traditional (e.g., chicken katsu,extensive sashimi menu) and innovative (e.g., crispy salmon in an egg crepe, spiny lobster rolls). Very nice sake and a chocolate melty brownie to die for. The ambience is simple but classy. Our only limitation this time was the very lengthy wait for our entrees to appear. Seems like there may have been an issue in the kitchen. When the food did arrive, it was worth waiting for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't order all at once unlessbchapmanDined on 3/15/2014Don't order all at once unless you want your entire order to come at the same time. Some pacing would be better.I would recommend this to a friend.
- GemQuilterDined on 3/7/2014My husband and I go here quite often. We love there food. Their food is quite a bit more special than most Japanese restaurants. Beautiful presentation too. Staff is so friendly.Special Features:
- We eat at Zen all the timeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/26/2014We eat at Zen all the time and it is a great place for Japanese food. Staff are wonderful. Very friendly and great atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Valentine'svvvvvDined on 2/14/2014We were late booking dinner for Valentine's but saw there was still room at Zen. We had been once before for lunch but wanted to go back for dinner so it worked out great. We did the 5 course chef menu. The food was very good, I will absolutely be coming back. The restaurant is very nice, though certainly not formal, but it's not trying to be. I think you could have a romantic dinner here, it's nice enough, but you might end up with a loud family next to you (we did). My only complaint was our waiter left us waiting with menu questions for too long. Once we had ordered though everything was fine from there and the pacing of the courses was perfect. We left quite full, I don't think either of us could have eaten another bite. We will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spotFrasdoVIPDined on 2/9/2014The service and food at Zen are both very good. Also try the great homemade desserts!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We thoroughly enjoyed Zen.JodieDined on 2/1/2014We thoroughly enjoyed Zen. The sushi was beautifully presented and the taste was exceptional. Our server was fun and the service was prompt. Truly a neighbourhood delight!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food ..But Slack Servicediner2014Dined on 2/1/2014To begin on a good note, the food was quite food and memorable, especially the Tower that came with the Sushi Entree. The indifferent service; however dragged the food down to a level that made me question its $38 Dine Out category. Compared to other Dine Out restaurants, the service here was poor. Perhaps it was the small narrow restaurant setting or the lack of employees, but I felt cheated that I paid a bill of a total of $140 for a table of three.Special Features:
- Very nice eveningAmy1Dined on 1/25/2014My husband and I enjoyed our anniversary dinner at Zen. The food and service were fantastic. My only complaint would be that we sat next to the window and found it very cold - otherwise, a very enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did not disappointSamsaraDined on 1/24/2014It had been a while since we had last enjoyed a dinner at Zen and the Dine Out menu sparked our appetite and prompted another visit. The Prawns 3 Ways appetizer was well presented though a tad overcooked in two of the three bites. The Sable fish was delightful - perfectly prepared with a very flavorful broth surrounding a nice portion of fish. Dessert was also good - we both had the Sticky Toffee pudding with vanilla ice cream. The portion size was perfect - not too overwhelming but enough to be satisfying and the flavor balance after the fish was great. Our server was very knowledgeable about the choices for Saki and answered my neophyte questions with skill. We will be back and sooner then our last visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service very offBirdDined on 1/17/2014Went during dineout. Were seated for 5 minutes before another table sat down. 4 minutes later, a 3rd table sat down. For some reason, we were last to order. Before we ever got to order, a bill was slapped down in front of us, meant for the previous diners sitting across fr/us. The people who came in later were finished by the time we got our main. We were in a rush to leave, asked for the bill 2 times. But the waitress gave the machine to the table next to us, though they asked AFTER we had asked for the machine our 2nd time. Food: Ive had better sushi. Dumplings meant to be served hot was cold, indicating our orders were forgotten for some time. Matcha mousse in a chocolate cup was the best item on the menu, but not insanely delicious.
- Superb sushiMableDined on 1/9/2014Wonderful presentation and delicious tasting sushi. Maybe the best I have ever had. Service somewhat rushed but it was busy. Recommend the private room for a large group especially for families with kids.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ZeneliciousArchie1954Dined on 12/13/2013We love this restaurant and the food is excellent. It is also a place to see celebrities if that is of interest to you. We got a nice table for four by the window which had a good view of the other diners and we watched the beautifully designed sushi trays being delivered to their tables. The service was impeccable and the server seemed to be able to understand when to serve us and when to leave us in deep conversation. To do that successfully is not only very professional,it is also an art. We will most certainly be dining there again.Special Features:
- Outstanding food and serviceFoodieVIPDined on 12/6/2013This is one of our favourite restaurants The service is second to none The food is always outstanding Everything is made fresh by the chefs whom you can see making the sushi Lauren the "dessert lady" is excellent and makes everyone feel welcome This place is a must if you like Japanese cuisineSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great!luv2eatVIPDined on 10/23/2013Delightful lunch! On the recommendation of our server we went with a couple of the specials. The 'salmon mango wrap' and 'pop up prawns' were two favourites. We enjoyed the toffee shortbread and ice cream for dessert. We will be back very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not that impressiveYaleDined on 10/19/2013Dinner was ok. Service reasonable and lighting dark. Price is about twice that you can get elsewhere with reasonable comparison. ok for special occasions but I wouldn't make another trip out there. A lot of better choices with decent quality and prices. No asian wait staff, all caucasian. Could have at least had one. Thought this was Japanese owned (hard to find) but l guess like other restaurants, owner means not around and reaping in the name of their business. (see Tojo's)Special Features:
- As usual, Zen Sushi was onScottheanVIPDined on 10/19/2013As usual, Zen Sushi was on its game. Will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good sushi in West VanRobinVancouverDined on 9/27/2013We were in a bit of a rush and they were very busy. Despite our reservation it was slow to get seated. Our waitress was excellent and did her best to accommodate our rush on a busy night. Food was great, both creative and traditional dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodFoodieVIPDined on 9/22/2013The food and service here is second to none. Always friendly service. The sushi is made fresh for each order. The rolls are to die for Their prawn tempura is fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and the Poke Crispslotus7Dined on 9/18/2013Good food and the Poke Crisps we wanted were sold out - good to hear that there are limited quantities of home made fresh food. The Poke we did have was delicious . the Tower was good but seemed mainly a way to utilise left over bits of sashimi - the specialty flowers ( of courgettes) ( one each) was nice but well overrated by the server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Zen???AlcyDined on 8/31/2013For a place called Zen it was pretty frantic service. Long waits between visits from a server that seemed like she was way behind and wanted you to hurry. Wonderful food arriving at all times. Our family birthday celebration (5 on us) had our main courses arriving over 15 minutes apart. Family run I'm guessing. Several groups arrived with great familiarity, being fussed over and made us feel like second class citizens. Great food. Too bad about the service. Not in a hurry to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Summer patio is lovelyluv2eatVIPDined on 7/29/2013Very charming patio! We dine here often because the food is excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 3 visits in 20 days says itOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/28/20133 visits in 20 days says it all ! Got better and better each time! The food was delicious every time ... and the service. They do make you want to return again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second visit in two weeksOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/18/2013Second visit in two weeks ... it did not disappoint. My friends want to plan an visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So good!!luv2eatVIPDined on 7/14/2013Great time!! We sat on the patio which is well off any busy streets and just lovely. The server recommended some tapas still items. We had the fish taco roll, popcorn halibut and ebi dumplings. They were all excellent. We also had the chef sashimi which was creative, super fresh and lots of selection. For dessert we had the honey coconut macadamia bar with coconut ice cream. Delicious We will go back.Special Features:
- For a Monday night it wasOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/8/2013For a Monday night it was busy little place. But the food still came pretty fast. The waitress was always back when our drinks were just getting low ... always there at the right time. The food was really beautiful to look at and definitely delicious. I have been there before but the two friends I brought have never been there and we are already planning another outing there next week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love it!luv2eatVIPDined on 5/19/2013All I can say is that this was one of the best and freshest Japanese restaurants that I have ever visited. The server recommended several of their most popular, tapas style, dishes. We loved them all. We had the popcorn shrimp roll, tuna tataki roll, ebi dumplings, torched scalloped (so so good) and a couple of other specialties. We had the dessert special which was lemon meringue pie and a must try.Special Features: