ZEN 8 GRILL
412 12th Ave SE
Calgary, AB T2G 1A5Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: CAN$30 and under
ZEN 8 GRILL
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.zen8grill.com/
- Phone: (403) 261-1888
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 5:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Pan-Asian, Japanese, Asian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our Kabuki room can seat 35 people comfortably.
A word from ZEN 8 GRILL
Located inside COWBOYS CASINO! We are an exciting new concept in Calgary featuring your favourite Pacific Rim inspired dishes. Whether your looking for a place to grab a quick Pad Thai for lunch, or Teppanyaki tenderloin steak right before the hockey game or just need sushi fix late at night, Zen 8 Grill is able to accommodate those and much more!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
ZEN 8 GRILL reviews from OpenTable diners
15 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (8)special occasion (7)fit for foodies (4)late-night find (4)hot spot (2)romantic (1)neighborhood gem (1)notable wine list (1)great for lunch (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- over all I found it to be very poor experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/17/2014very slow service food wasnt was good as we were expecting for price the Chef was pretty good though
- Zen8OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/14/2014We arrived during a busy time and the sound level was quite loud, as people cleared out it became easier to hear each other. The tables were very close together so you couldn't help but over hear the conversation at the next table. This made for an uncomfortable experience. The boothe were more intimate and seem better for conversation. Food was fantastic and service was above par.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it again!sloppyjohDined on 10/21/2014one of our fav's. Great before a game. Loved the warm SakiSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is not a Japanese restaurantnrttezgonDined on 9/12/2014They had Thai, Vietnamese, Chinese and Japanese food. We should have know better that this type of restaurant cannot be a good place. We had wonton soup noodle and some sushi (Dynamite roll, Spicy Salmon roll) . The noodle was awful, it's blend and lukewarm. Sushi was okay at the best, the rice was too soft and still very warm (sushi rice shouldn't be warm as it's served with raw fish). Service was really bad. Took awhile for wait stuff to greet us and take the order. For some reason they are so rush and take the plates off of the table as soon as we pick the last piece of sushi even before the sushi made it to our mouth. The place was nearly empty and it was Friday lunch time. No wonder why people avoid coming here...
- Great FunCaymanThompsonsDined on 9/4/2014We took parents for their anniversary and the six of us had a great time. The staff were very accommodating, including preparing some of the side dishes on the table-front grill instead of in the kitchen. This was more fun and the chef paid special attention to my older parents. The food was excellent. We will go definitely go back. Luckily we didn't take our kids as originally planned... did't realize you could only access the restaurant through the casino, ie no exterior door, and no minors through the casino.Special Features:
- criticsDined on 8/8/2014The food was good and the presentation is wonderful. The staff is very friendly and pleasant. The fact that it is inside a casino does have an effect on the atmosphere, but overall experience is very good.
- The following 12 reviews are from the ZEN 8 GRILL reviews archive.
- Great downtown place to meetMamamiaDined on 6/25/2014friends and family. Before and after an event at Saddledome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must to visit againSunshineDined on 6/24/2014Really enjoyed my visit. My food was very tasty and the presentation quite creative. Very pleased with the pricing and wine selection. Will definately return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good place... in the wrong placeSS33Dined on 6/21/2014Food and service were great, but was disappointed to know that the restaurant is now located within the Cowboys Casino... which kind of cheapens the experience. We dined on a Saturday evening and there were hardly any customers. This should definitely be a downtown/core-area establishment.
- Sit at the Tepanyaki bar for sureNotProFoodieVIPDined on 6/2/2014We went to zen 8 on a whim, made reservations, when we got there the place was empty. We sat in a booth, but it was quite chilly, so we requested to sit at the tepanyaki bar. The chef was preparing a rice dish, and offered us a free sample. The chef continued with a spectacular show at the grill, complete with fire tricks. The menu has many different options. We were full by the end. 2nd time we went, made reservations, at the tepanyaki bar, ordered food, and then this huge group of loud drunks came in, were banging on the drum, that they conveniently wheeled over right next to us. No free rice. No fire show. Food was ok, not full afterwards, and server didn't tell us of specials: $5 all rolls on Monday. Cheapest place for rolls in CalgarySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always fresh, always consistentwinerdinerVIPDined on 5/31/2014We go to Zen 8 fairly often. There are some things on the menu that you just cannot get anywhere else. Two of these include and are my favourites: Gomae salad and the Orange Bay Scallops. The gomae salad is cooked spinach with a sweet sesame sauce served cold. It has a peanut flavour but not made with any nuts. I could eat this on a daily basis! The scallops are tempura but the combination of them with the bite-sized orange segments are delicious! We also always order the red tuna and avocado dish and it is simply wonderful. The sashimi, sushi and rolls have consistently been spot on. Go and enjoy!Special Features:
- Food for thoughteat4funDined on 4/26/2014We enjoyed the atmosphere in the restaurant. Our chef was very efficient and friendly. He prepared a fabulous meal for our enjoyment. The service was excellent. Thank you for a very pleasant experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JonnyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/25/2014Thanks jonny for making our night special. The atmosphere was awesome..food excellent. Table perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodnannyof2Dined on 4/3/2014Love the meal and staff was great will be back that's for sureSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice enoughzeldaDined on 4/3/2014I enjoy going there, not many people go there yet so you would figure service would be faster. The last waitress we had not so good again. Prices are fair and food tastes good, just takes awhile to get your food, they do not seem to be listening to the requests of their customers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- we really enjoyed the experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/29/2014we really enjoyed the experience of sitting at the open table. The food was cooked perfectSpecial Features:
- Good Fun with the right peopleGenesisKnightDined on 3/29/2014I have dined here twice now, and have had two completely different experiences. The service the first time was great, the 'show' was spectacular! This last time however made it seem like the staff were really indifferent to the whole thing. They weren't that busy at all...maybe ten people, but we almost never saw our waitress, and she was quite apathetic. The chef as well pretty well looked like he was just going through the motions. The food itself was tasty, but nothing really worth standing out. I'll come here again, maybe with a larger group to attract more attention and better service from the staff...Special Features:
- Zen 8 GrillVileInsigniaDined on 2/18/2014I came there for my 26th birthday with my lady. We had a great time and lovely service. There was no noise what so ever. It was a slow night so everything came out in a great timely fashion. I enjoy fine dinning And this would be somewhere I'd come back no questions asked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.