Zeffirelli Ristorante Italiano
728 Pine Street
Herndon, VA 20170Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Zeffirelli Ristorante Italiano
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.zeffirelliristorante.com/
- Phone: 7033187000
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Zeffirelli Ristorante Italiano
Since opening in 1991, Zeffirelli Ristorante Italiano has been established as a fine tradition in historic Herndon. The 100 year old building adds character and ambiance to Zeffirelli’s dining experience. Our formal service, candlelit tables, exquisite Tuscan cuisine, and fine wines set an incomparable atmosphere for our patrons.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Zeffirelli Ristorante Italiano - Best Restaurants in Herndon ›
Zeffirelli Ristorante Italiano reviews from OpenTable diners
75 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (45)neighborhood gem (45)romantic (38)notable wine list (20)fit for foodies (18)good for groups (12)great for brunch (3)great for lunch (3)late-night find (2)scenic view (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Great Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014Celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary the other weekend and everything was wonderful. Staff was great and so was the food! Will definitely go there again.Special Features:
- Consistently High QualityOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Our meals at Zefferellis never disappoints. On this latest visit, the rockfish (special dish) was cooked perfectly. My husband had one of his favorite shrimp dishes and was delighted ( as usual) by how perfectly it was done.Special Features:
- Great eveningCherGDined on 10/18/2014We had a small party for a 25th anniversary and the night was perfect. All the food was great, service was attentive and the food for 10 people came out fast in the middle of dinner hours. An added bonus was that we weren't squished back in some corner somewhere. There was plenty of room for people on both sides of the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too much tomatomichDined on 10/17/2014Everyone's dish at our table was smothered in tomato sauce, thought to be what makes the restaurant Italian. I would have preferred a different sauce with my veal ravioli, and regretted that I didn't ask for one. I couldn't taste the veal.
- Veal chop heavenWe8L8VIPDined on 10/9/2014I always recommend ordering the veal chop...our out of town friends lapped it right up!Special Features:
- A Herdon mustwolvieDined on 9/20/2014if you are in the area you have to try this restaurant. A bit old fashioned inside perhaps- but excellent service and well prepared food. :-)Special Features:
- CleopatraIslanddawgDined on 9/10/2014Linguini Cleopatra is seafood and pasta done right. Very nice wine selection.Special Features:
- Always satisfying....TheRealJayZDined on 9/10/2014Once again, I brought another client to Zeffirelli's and they commented how impressed they were with the ambiance, food, and the first-class service. The entire staff goes out of their way to make sure that your eating experience is a memorable one. Squisito!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Little Italian SpothabersonthetownDined on 9/9/2014Fantastic little Italian restaurant with nice presentation and delicious food. Recipes were done to perfection and the service was first rate. If you prefer red wine the list is extensive but you will find the white wine list does not provide the same coverage. Perfect place for a nice dinner with your spouse of significant other or for a small business dinner. Prices were reasonable. We will definitely make this a regular stop on our nights out.Special Features:
- Mixed ReviewMHAfoodieDined on 9/9/2014This was a birthday celebration dinner and our first visit to the restaurant. It was lovely, our seating was perfect and the service was very good. I ordered the lobster ravioli which was very good. However, my guest ordered the seafood special and he said the lobster was tough and over cooked and the calamari was much too chewy. Unfortunately he did not enjoy his meal as much as I enjoyed mine. I am willing to give this restaurant another try and order the seafood special to critique the dish myself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in HerndonMagooDined on 9/2/2014We have had a hard time finding a restaurant in the area to look forward to - one with a well thought out menu, a crew that really knows how to prepare it and a professional staff. We found Zeffirelli's and were very pleased with the experience. I'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Going downhillMarriedanitalianDined on 9/2/2014Zeffirelli's used to be my favorite Italian restaurant but no more. Food and service are mediocre and worth the trip or the price. How sad to see such a great place fading away.
- Problems resolvedfussyfoodieDined on 8/30/2014Entrees were delayed. The waiter and the owner came by to explain that there was a delay and offered some wine gratis. They came back again and explained that the dishes had to be re-fired. After the entrees were served, the owner brought out the chef who had re-fired the entrees (not the one who cooked the original) and comp'd desserts for the table. I have been to Zef's many times. This is the first time that there were any issues but my guests were quite satisfied that they were informed of the problem and amends were made. This will not reflect negatively on my opinion of Zef's. The food was delicious and I will return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over ratedOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/29/2014Not the food experience I was hoping to find. Had the specials, shrimp tempura, Bone in Veal Chop and Tricolor peppercorn Filet Mignon. Other reviews were misleading. Waiters seemed to be trying to encourage customers to return in the future. I'm afraid for if they want repeat customers, Gordon Ramsey needs to take over for a week. I wont be going back. 911
- Wonderful Italian Food & ServiceDarduggleDined on 8/28/2014Three of us dined there on a Thursday evening to celebrate our friend's birthday. The restaurant was not crowded but we were greeted warmly as we entered and seated at a prime spot by the window. The waiter, Oscar was marvelous - warm, friendly, courteous and knowledgable. We had a three great meals from different parts of the menu - fish, veal and chicken. We split an appetizer (baked cheese and prosciutto) and were even presented with a free dessert for the birthday celebrant. We all left totally satisfied and happy. It is on par with one of our favorites - Il Pizzico in Rockville - except the rooms are brighter, parking is better and they accept reservations. We live in Maryland but we will find our way back there soon.Special Features:
- Rude from the startNattieKDined on 8/23/2014I have never experienced a ruder wait staff. It was as if our server was giving us the boot upon entry. And, my kids were very well behaved. If you don't want children at your restaurant, bring that up at reservation time, when a highchair is requested. Our youngest (1 year) did drop a fair amount of food on the floor, but she was mostly quiet (though you could hear a pin drop in the sparsely seated restaurant). When my husband took her outside to walk around while the rest of us were finishing our meals, two men came over with a broom and dustpan as the rest of us were still eating. Then, still cutting our food, we were asked if our plates could be taken away. Overall, it was ridiculous.
- Love Zeff'sTheYCDined on 8/22/2014Brought my girlfriend and had another great meal. I had an arugula salad with thin slices of filet mignon. She had the veal marsala. Moses was a fantastic waiter and convinced us to try a prosciutto appetizer with figs and strawberry. Very glad we took his advice. In all, another great night!Special Features:
- fwsullyDined on 8/22/2014Excellent tasty dinners with great service accompanied by fine wines and desserts.Special Features:
- Always good!!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/20/2014Great food, Veal chop is the best I have ever had anywhere. I been going there since they opened. The service is always good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findhappydinerDined on 8/19/2014Tucked away in Herndon, VA, this family-owned Italian restaurant was a wonderful surprise. The food was scrumptious, and the service was excellent. We would definitely go back and will recommend it to friends.Special Features:
- Top Choice in HerndonPuKuDined on 8/19/2014Zeffirelli's has become our go-to spot in Herndon for special occasions or just for some great Italian. The menu is not extensive, but the focus is on doing a few dishes well. They also offer interesting specials. On a recent visit, we started with mussels in white sauce. While tasty, the mussels were not very meaty. The main dishes, however, did not disappoint. I had the scallopini calabrese--tender veal cutlets in a wine and sun-dried tomato sauce that complemented the veal without being cloying. My wife had a special--a whole lobster garnished with green caviar on a bed of penne in a white wine, garlic, and cherry tomato sauce. Both plates went back cleared. From previous visits, the seafood San remo is also a fine choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice food, rough serviceWavoDined on 8/17/2014Although it was likely an isolated incident our waiter was not very attentive to the table, and it took us an hour to get our food. This did not seem to be the norm, as we got another waiter to help out, but it was a bit concerning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Italian eateryPaulaDined on 8/14/2014Happy we accidentally found this terrific restaurant. Food was excellent, service was flawless. Will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Food was blandOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/10/2014I have had the veal chop and that was amazing. I had the pasta Sunday night and it was not. Ill try again.Special Features:
- Good local ItalianBobsDined on 8/6/2014Good service good food will dine there again. Deserts are outstandingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SharonOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/4/2014This place is a landmark in Herndon. It has been consistently great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Visiting Herndon, VAeatingisgoodDined on 7/26/2014Herndon is a very new area to us. Our grandson has just moved there and there were 8 of us for dinner. I searched and found Zeffirelli Ristorante and made a reservation. We were all thrilled with the whole experience and can't wait to go back....Special Features:
- Fresh pasta and great serviceChicagofoodieDined on 7/26/2014I was taking my husband to Dulles airport for a late evening flight, and we stopped here on the way for dinner. We shared a salad (split on 2 plates in the kitchen for us) and it was good. We ordered the lasagna, which was rich and had a million layers, topped with red sauce. We also had seafood ravioli - fresh pasta stuffed with crab and lobster served in a tomato cream sauce. They were both very good. We shared a piece of chocolate cake (again, split for us in the kitchen and served on 2 plates) and had coffee for dessert. The cake was outstanding, and the coffee was also exceptional. Service was impeccable throughout. The interior of the restaurant is a bit dated, but the service and food are wonderful. We will be back.Special Features:
- Great DinnerAB05Dined on 7/16/2014We took customers out for a business dinner and the food and service were outstanding. The Veal Chop was amazing.Special Features:
- Best Veal Chop in DC AreaOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/16/2014I have dined at Zeffirelli's several times as I have traveled to the Herndon VA area and I have never been disappointed. The restaurant has a wonderful Italian atmosphere, the service is the best, and the food is unblelievable. I highly recommend the veal chop. It is the best in the DC area by far.Special Features:
- Such a romantic night.celebratfunDined on 7/13/2014Had a very lovely meal with my boyfriend. Special table with a view, romantic music, and excellent good. I enjoyed my veal piccata immensely and my boyfriend had wonderful ravioli. It was a wonderful memory and we hope to come back in the future. We really felt special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/10/2014The entire dining experience at Zeffirelli's is outstanding. From the moment you are greeted at the door there is no detail untouched. The food is great and the restaurant is a gem.Special Features:
- Great independent restaurantAnnaMaeDined on 7/7/2014In an area with many chain restaurant ranging from McDonald's to Ruth Chris', Zeffirelli's is the kind of locally owned independent we love to patronize. Located in the older, historic section of Herndon, it features a small but diverse menu that is not heavily dependent on traditional "red sauce" dishes. Fellow diner started off with an excellent bufalo mozzarella salad while I enjoyed an arugala salad with beets and oranges, tossed with a vinegarette and feta cheese crumbles. A basket of freshly baked foccacia arrived with the salads. We both chose veal dishes with meat so tender you barely needed a knife. Prices were reasonable for the quality and portion size. Entrees were accompanied by either the daily vegetable or pasta.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gem of a restaurant!PRnativeDined on 7/6/2014We chanced upon Zefirelli on our vacation stay at Herndon, not long ago. The place looked inviting, and it delivered. Attention was excellent, the waiters were most helpful and the food was excellent. Being lactose intolerant, I was a bit afraid of eating at an Italian restaurant, but the waiters' knowledge of the menu, coupled with great rapport with the kitchen staff provided my wife and myself with an enjoyable and unforgettable dinner. Would we return? Yes, I believe we would. In fact, I'm going to recommend Zefirelli to others.Special Features:
- First time & we loved itOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/5/2014First time here. We're very picky Italian eaters, but I've been wanting to go here for awhile. The wait staff is very attentive and courteous. I mentioned our anniversary when making the reservation and the staff acknowledged it with a complimentary desert. We enjoyed a bottle of wine from Umbria where we had just visited a few months ago. The food was excellent, so good that I left wearing some red sauce. The after dinner cappuccino was fantastic, just like in Italy. My only negative review is the ambiance, the decor is in need of a make-over. I don''t think we'll bring the kiddos, but we'll definitely enjoy another date night dinner here.Special Features:
- Great spot in HerndonJimWDined on 6/28/2014My wife and I have been going to Zeffirelli for years to celebrate our anniversary. She typically gets a pasta dish and I almost always get their Veal Chop. We've never been disappointed in their food or service. I highly recommend giving it a try for a special occasion or just a night out on the town. If you add a bottle of wine to the meal it can get a bit pricey but it's well worth it.Special Features:
- The following 591 reviews are from the Zeffirelli Ristorante Italiano reviews archive.
- Awesome food and servicesGaryBDined on 6/25/2014Zeffirelli's is always a great experience. It works well for a quite dinner for two or for a large group. Great food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always consistentAFSEcatsDined on 6/25/2014The food at Zefferelli's never disappoints whether it's from the traditional menu or a nightly special. parking is easy too.Special Features:
- 45th Anniversary was very special!foodinspectorDined on 6/21/2014The owner, who lives in our neighborhood, greeted us warmly at the door. As he was checking us in for our reservation he noticed we were celebrating our 45th anniversary, and immediately said "I have a special table for you that is private and romantic," and it was. The food was exquisite and delicious, and the service was very good. We had a leisurely (nearly 2 hrs) and very special dining experience, befitting our 45th anniversary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a treatDSmithVIPDined on 6/15/2014It was late (9pm) before I could assemble the family that was home for Fathers Day, but we went to Zeffirelli's for diner. A couple of us had specials and a couple the standard fare off the menu. Each one loved their diner. But most of us also brought some home for another treat the next day. The price was reasonable and the abundance of food was significant. The wait staff was excellent from keeping water glasses full to the listing of multiple specials by the waiter. The food was out in no time. We will be back.Special Features: