641 Mt Pleasant Rd
Toronto, ON M4S 2M9Neighborhood:
Midtown / Uptown
SeafoodPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.zeegrill.com/
- Phone: 4164846428x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Open Tuesday-Saturday from 5:30PM until close.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Fusion / Eclectic
- Executive Chef: Jac Eckhardt
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies)
A word from Zee Grill
Zee Grill is one of the best and oldest seafood restaurants and oyster bars in Toronto. Located in the Yonge & Eglinton neighborhood we've been serving oysters, lobster, steak, seafood and fish to Torontonians since 1981.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Zee Grill - Best Restaurants in Midtown / Uptown ›
Zee Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
51 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (33)fit for foodies (21)special occasion (19)romantic (17)late-night find (4)good for groups (4)notable wine list (2)vibrant bar scene (1)kid-friendly (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Not Gluten FreeGlutenFreeNanaDined on 8/29/2014I picked Zee Grill thinking that, since it was mostly fish, I could get a gluten free meal. To my surprise this was not possible. The fish choices I asked about all had some kind of wheat present--be it in the crust, or the sauce. Those who are gluten free are often also sensitive to milk, which made it even harder. I ended up having to order a meal that included milk, but not gluten. So if you are gluten intolerant, better to go to another restaurant. I might add the the food was okay, but not great.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/20/2014I enjoyed dinner but thought for the price , the food could have been better -bit bland ...also portion size for poke salad was small.....my dinner companion had lobster -2 pounds =$52.00...WOW!
- Not to be overlookedYDogDined on 8/15/2014Hits the spot every time. Consistent, fresh, well prepared and assured. Recommended.Special Features:
- Excellent as always!!!Joe3Dined on 8/8/2014We've been coming here for years; in our opinion: the best oyster/seafood restaurant in Toronto!Special Features:
- al frescoswissmissDined on 8/8/2014We sat outside on a lovely summer evening and their patio is lovely and intimate. The rocket salad was disappointing (yellowish leaves) and very small. The moules et frites were very good, especially the sauce with the mussels and the fries. The waiter was very nice. We have been there before, since it is in our neighbourhood, and will certainly go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- patio is goodVivianVIPDined on 8/2/2014salad is good seafood is ok patio at night is romanticSpecial Features:
- Always goodGrannyDined on 7/26/2014We have been to Zee grill numerous times and it has never been disappointing. Food is consistently delicious and service excellent. Atmosphere in the restaurant is cozy and busy, filled with regular customers who come here over and over again for years. We will be going back again soon.Special Features:
- Good but lacked valueOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/25/2014We love seafood so we decided to give Zee a try. They sat us in the back patio which was nice, because the main dinning area was a bit dark. The appetizers we ordered (fish tacos, and lobster croquettes) were very tasty and the presentation was pleasing to the eye. The mains we had were Fish and Chips, Scallops and Mussels. Food was tasty but the portion size was very small. The fish (haddock) for the fish and chips looked like frozen fish sticks. They tasted good but the size didn't live up to an entree size. The same goes for the Scallops and Mussels. For the price we paid, we left the restaurant unfullfilled trying to find another place to get a small bite.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently scrumptious foodPrettyinpinkDined on 7/19/2014Scrumptious food, excellent service, great ambiance, our favourite restaurant. Never had a bad meal there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very attentiveOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/9/2014great service - friendly staff, very attentive waiter - felt a little rushed (perhaps the waiter was too eager to please, or perhaps he didn't have other people to wait on as it was quiet when we arrived at 7 p.m.) Great food - a neighborhood oldie but goodie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great fishOpenTable1VIPDined on 7/8/2014It was our first time at the restaurant and all 3 of us had great meals - European sea bass, cooked with crispy skin and seared tuna - great flavours. The server was friendly and attentive. Will come back for sure.Special Features:
- LOVE IT !!!!LADYLDined on 7/5/2014Love this place My neighbourhood friend....................... I take all my friends See you soon !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ZEE PLACE TO BEELADYLDined on 6/26/2014LOVE this place ! The food,the staff,the ambiance ................. GO GO GO !!!!Special Features:
- hungrygirlDined on 6/19/2014Tried Poke Salad, chowder, ahi tuna, scallops and chocolate dessert. Good service and ambience but food was just on par for the price point. Chowder was not the best. Smoked bacon overpowered the soup. The rest of the dishes were decent.Special Features:
- wouldn't recommendLanaDined on 6/14/2014The the main entree portions extremely were very small, for example. the scallops portion had 3 scallops and three peaces of ravioli! and nothing else, beverages were overpriced, overall we spend $250, which was not worth of it. The tables are very close each other, the kitchen is in the middle of the restaurant, and is not ventilated as it is usually done in fish restaurants, so there is a very strong "fishy" smell, which is even for fish lovers is unpleasant. We wanted to discover a new seafood/fish restaurant, but we wont come back there , and wouldn't recommend anybody.Special Features:
- Very NiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/31/2014My wife and I had a great time at the Zee Grill May 30, 2014. Our server , Ryan, did a great job making us feel catered to with every detail. His recommendations on the oysters was helpful. My wife ordered the Divers Scallops and I, the Battered Halibut Special. Everything tasted fresh and flavorful however I would have liked the portions to be a little larger. Overall the experience was quaint and delightful. Good Job to the staff, IgnazioSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- keith10Dined on 5/30/2014Been before, but this time was a disappointment. Service was at best amateurish, food presentation less attractive than before
- Great Oysters!gourmandVIPDined on 5/13/2014Great place for fresh oysters accompanied by small, but useful wine by the glass list. Service is always friendly in this neighbourhood restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oyster letdownknuckledusterDined on 5/10/2014Was craving scallops, googled, found Zee Grill. Google, as often, was right! Yummy yummy scallops, but the oyster selection was a letdown. Only one west coast offering, and it paled in comparison to others (Rodney's) finished with a delicious flour less chocolate cake!Special Features:
- Warm cozy feelingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/10/2014We love Zee Grill and have been coming here for at least 7 years now. Larry is always our server and we look forward to seeing him. At times the food can be a bit slow to come out but when it does, it is fresh, delicious and full of flavour. There is nowhere else we will go for seafood and we love the intimate space that makes us feel wonderful. We endeavour to get here at least once a season because the menus change and Jacques, the owner/chef is always there welcoming you at the door. This is an "aint broke, don't fix" kinda place- the whole plan works and has been perfected over the years. Can't wait to come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Three Time's a CharmMurfDined on 5/9/2014This is the third time I have been to Zee Grill this year. I took my girlfriend again, and two friends this time. They were very impressed. The food was excellent and so was the service. The only complaint I have is that the tables are little close to one another and that makes intimate dining a challenge. Notwithstanding this, Zee Grill is definitely a neighbourhood gem. Highly recommended. I would actually rate Zee Grill 4.5 stars.Special Features:
- The following 256 reviews are from the Zee Grill reviews archive.
- A great choice for a night outSuEeDined on 5/3/2014We love going to Zee Grill because of all the fish and seafood choices. The Hawaiian Seafood Poke Salad is fantastic, a mixture of tastes that delights. The calamari is excellent (perhaps worthy of a main course). Our server was attentive and sweet, bringing tasters of wine despite a limited wines by the glass menu. He also spoke with the chef who accommodated us by making the main course scallops with a stir fry that was heartily enjoyed. The restaurant is dark in some parts, and light in others, so you might want to request a table according to your preferences.Special Features:
- WHO KNEW?LADYLDined on 5/2/2014I have lived by this restaurant since it opened and have commented MANY times about trying it but WOW,now that I have,it will be a fave on my list ! It was outstanding Only two little snags,the cocktail prices are WAY too high so get wine. It was my birthday and the waiter DID put a candle in my dessert but he also made me pay for it,not cool........................Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect as always!Joe3Dined on 5/2/2014oysters perfect; scallops in sea urchin sauce heavenly. Service outstanding. And now there were razor clams !!! Saves you a flight to Barcelona !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- consistently goodGGeatshereDined on 4/26/2014Food service and atmosphere consistently excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, excellent service!!LovemyfoodVIPDined on 4/25/2014I randomly googled any nice place to eat grilled fish and came across this restaurant. I must say one of the best sea food restaurants I have ever been to. For anyone looking for a good sea food meal in a quite cozy restaurant then this is definetly a must try!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable and tasty!Dcw1Dined on 4/19/2014Overall a great little restaurant...fabulous scallops...attentive friendly service...would definitely recommend...great local spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Meal in a great ambienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/18/2014Zee Grill is a great find in the Mount Pleasant and Eglinton area. The decor is quite nice, with gorgeous exposed brick and lots of unique character. We had appetizers of crab cake, fish tacos and calamari. The crab cake and fish tacos were awesome. We all had the panko halibut and frites special - chef's interpretation of fish and chips. It was absolutely awesome with a great homemade tartar sauce - we loved it. For dessert there was lemon meringue ice cream sandwich, flourless chocolate cake, and apple torte. They were all great, although the pastry on the apple court was a little undercooked. The service was friendly, without being overbearing. Overall we loved it, and will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always very goodWineloverDined on 4/15/2014We eat there 6-10 times a year, and it never fails to deliver. Our favorite meal is the Zee salad and the lobster. They also have a nice wine list.Special Features:
- Good FoodHeatherDined on 4/11/2014My husband and I recently found this restaurant and it's very close for us so we were excited to see the great reviews. Our waitress was very helpful and knowledgeable of the menu. We both really enjoyed our app';s and entrees. The dessert was also delicious. My only issue was that they charged 20 dollars for a martini. I think that is about 5 dollars more then even some of the best restaurants in Toronto. It also was not a great Martini. We won't order them again.Special Features:
- Superb Mid-Town SeafoodMurfDined on 4/11/2014I booked Zee's about a month ago because, quite frankly, Rodney's Oyster House, was full. I checked the internet and found that Zee's was mid town and it served oysters. Thought I would try it. Was very glad I did. The restaurant is small and cozy. The brick walls are surprisingly warm and relaxing. The servers are well trained and well versed with the menu. And the food is extremely well prepared, innovative, and flavourful. I went back this past Friday (April 11, 2014), and was once again very impressed. A definite 4-star rating in my restaurant book!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is a dining experiencecrbuDined on 4/8/2014This is a dining experience with character. The food was fresh and interesting and well prepared. It was beautifully presented and the service was excellent...attentive but not intrusive. The reservation was honoured with no wait time and the entire experience was memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What an experienceJessDined on 4/4/2014This was a memorable evening with terrific food, wine and service. Well done team Zee !!! We look forward to going again and again !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing selection of seafooddaremedyDined on 3/29/2014With a craving for a quality seafood dinner, I came here with my girlfriend to celebrate her birthday. I didn't know whether to dress up or go casual to the restaurant. We played it casual, but could have easily dressed up for this place. You're good either way. Great ambiance and service. We were pretty new to the whole oyster scene and our waiter walked us through how to eat it, the flavors and textures to look for. It's as important as enjoying a glass of fine wine. The diver scallops were ridiculously good. Black cod was so fresh and tasty. We also had the tacos and seviche as appetizers and were some of the most tasty apps I've ever had. Seriously, the freshness and taste was divine. I will definitely come back here again.Special Features:
- Casual Birthday Destination!DvallxDined on 3/25/2014Birthday girl loves seafood - so this resto is tops in the neighbourhood! Very relaxed on a Tuesday night - three hours of storytelling; great wine and delicious fishy eats!Special Features:
- Consistently ExcellentprincessppmVIPDined on 3/22/2014We continue to return to Zee - it is consistently excellent.Special Features:
- Great dining experiencehungrydocDined on 3/21/2014I went with a couple of friends. We were impressed witht the service as well as the food. The food was prepared and served wonderfully. The staff really took care of us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Zee grill combines the flavorFoodieAdviceDined on 3/15/2014Zee grill combines the flavor of a local neighborhood restaurant with a great quality of food found at high end eateries.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not quite worth it.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/8/2014The ambience was nice, the food was good and the service was good, but the portions were too tiny and I left wondering why it was so expensive.
- PLEASANT SURPRIZE - MUST GO AGAIN!!LUV2MANGIADined on 3/7/2014ZEE GRILL WAS A TRUE FIND. THE FOOD IS EXCELLENT. THE WINE EXCELLENT. THE MENU IS SIMPLE YET EFFECTIVE. THE FOOD QUALITY (I LOVED THE POKE SALAD. THE SCALLOPS WOW.) THE FOOD QUALITY IS VERY MUCH ON PAR WITH THE "HOT SPOTS" OF TORONTO. YET THE PRICE AND THE NEED TO BE SCENE HYPE IS NO WHERE TO BE FOUND. THUS YOU GET GREAT FOOD, GREAT VALUE AND A TABLE AT A DECENT TIME WITHOUT TOO MUCH TROUBLE. . ITS LIKE SOMETHING YOU WOULD FIND ON A WELL ESTABLISHED SIDE ALLEY IN PARIS OR ROME...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.