641 Mt Pleasant Rd
Toronto, ON M4S 2M9Neighborhood:
Midtown / Uptown
SeafoodPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.zeegrill.com/
- Phone: 4164846428x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Open Tuesday-Saturday from 5:30PM until close.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Fusion / Eclectic
- Executive Chef: Jac Eckhardt
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies)
A word from Zee Grill
Zee Grill is one of the best and oldest seafood restaurants and oyster bars in Toronto. Located in the Yonge & Eglinton neighborhood we've been serving oysters, lobster, steak, seafood and fish to Torontonians since 1981.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Zee Grill - Best Restaurants in Midtown / Uptown ›
Zee Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
45 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (30)fit for foodies (21)romantic (13)special occasion (12)good for groups (5)late-night find (4)notable wine list (2)great for outdoor dining (1)kid-friendly (1)hot spot (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Gem in in the hoodFoodieDined on 10/25/2014We've been going to Zee's for years and it never fails! Service is always friendly and knowledgable and the food is wonderful. I had their seasonal pumpkin soup, literally seafood in a pumpkin bowl, which was absolutely incredible! Oysters, Ahi tuna. calamari, scallops amongst my favs.Special Features:
- Still the best oysters in the cityJoe3Dined on 10/24/2014What others call medium-sized oysters (and then fail to give you a magnifying glass along with the little fork), is not served here: at Zee Grill they give you big, plump, meaty delicious oysters with varying levels of sweetness and/or salinity according to your liking. Lots of oyster-nuts in this restaurant, happily slurping away. The yearly fall special pumpkin dish was as good as ever according to my wife, and the swordfish was the best I've had in a long time. The restaurant is not downtown, and is not flashy, so in short: the perfect place for seafood lovers who don't need to prove anything to other people anymore. Wholeheartedly recommended.Special Features:
- howetoeatDined on 10/16/2014We had long waits for drinks and between courses. The first course was not clared before the second arrived!
- Great seafood, great meal.Trav2dineVIPDined on 10/10/2014Everything was delicious from the raw bar starters, main course (3 of us had the seared tuna, 1 the scallops) and the dessert. Amazing what gets done in the space they have!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Zee Best!DisappointedVIPDined on 10/3/2014Love this place. Great ceviche and poke salad appetizers. All fish is fresh and deliciously prepared. Service is fantastic. This really is a neighbourhood gem.Special Features:
- porsionsmastrovasilisDined on 9/27/2014Very small dishes porsions. The cost for 2 was high according to the quantity of porsions. We left and we still feel hungry. The quality of the food was very good the service ok.Special Features:
- Love itCamdamanDined on 9/11/2014By far the freshest seafood in Toronto. Love this place and the service is unreal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BellaDined on 9/6/2014My sea bass was an extremely thin piece very well done and difficult to separate from the skin. THe veggies were tasty but for $28 I was hungry and thinking maybe I won't be returning for awhile.
- ExcellentFoodfavviesDined on 9/5/2014I sent my parents here for their 44th anniversary. Here is what they said: "Who knew but that we'd been here years ago but just forgot until we walked it. It was perfect for our anniversary. The food was excellent. The atmosphere was relaxed and romantic. Definitely we'll be back here. The fish and chips was outstanding and all in all, it was a wonderful evening." I highly recommend it to anyone else wanting some great seafood and a good atmosphere.Special Features:
- Always goodoperaloverDined on 9/5/2014Zee Grill is one of our favorite restaurants, notably for its very good sea food. We always enjoy our dinners there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Gluten FreeGlutenFreeNanaDined on 8/29/2014I picked Zee Grill thinking that, since it was mostly fish, I could get a gluten free meal. To my surprise this was not possible. The fish choices I asked about all had some kind of wheat present--be it in the crust, or the sauce. Those who are gluten free are often also sensitive to milk, which made it even harder. I ended up having to order a meal that included milk, but not gluten. So if you are gluten intolerant, better to go to another restaurant. I might add the the food was okay, but not great.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/20/2014I enjoyed dinner but thought for the price , the food could have been better -bit bland ...also portion size for poke salad was small.....my dinner companion had lobster -2 pounds =$52.00...WOW!
- Not to be overlookedYDogDined on 8/15/2014Hits the spot every time. Consistent, fresh, well prepared and assured. Recommended.Special Features:
- Excellent as always!!!Joe3Dined on 8/8/2014We've been coming here for years; in our opinion: the best oyster/seafood restaurant in Toronto!Special Features:
- al frescoswissmissDined on 8/8/2014We sat outside on a lovely summer evening and their patio is lovely and intimate. The rocket salad was disappointing (yellowish leaves) and very small. The moules et frites were very good, especially the sauce with the mussels and the fries. The waiter was very nice. We have been there before, since it is in our neighbourhood, and will certainly go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- patio is goodVivianVIPDined on 8/2/2014salad is good seafood is ok patio at night is romanticSpecial Features:
- Always goodGrannyVIPDined on 7/26/2014We have been to Zee grill numerous times and it has never been disappointing. Food is consistently delicious and service excellent. Atmosphere in the restaurant is cozy and busy, filled with regular customers who come here over and over again for years. We will be going back again soon.Special Features:
- Good but lacked valueOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/25/2014We love seafood so we decided to give Zee a try. They sat us in the back patio which was nice, because the main dinning area was a bit dark. The appetizers we ordered (fish tacos, and lobster croquettes) were very tasty and the presentation was pleasing to the eye. The mains we had were Fish and Chips, Scallops and Mussels. Food was tasty but the portion size was very small. The fish (haddock) for the fish and chips looked like frozen fish sticks. They tasted good but the size didn't live up to an entree size. The same goes for the Scallops and Mussels. For the price we paid, we left the restaurant unfullfilled trying to find another place to get a small bite.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently scrumptious foodPrettyinpinkDined on 7/19/2014Scrumptious food, excellent service, great ambiance, our favourite restaurant. Never had a bad meal there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very attentiveOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/9/2014great service - friendly staff, very attentive waiter - felt a little rushed (perhaps the waiter was too eager to please, or perhaps he didn't have other people to wait on as it was quiet when we arrived at 7 p.m.) Great food - a neighborhood oldie but goodie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great fishOpenTable1VIPDined on 7/8/2014It was our first time at the restaurant and all 3 of us had great meals - European sea bass, cooked with crispy skin and seared tuna - great flavours. The server was friendly and attentive. Will come back for sure.Special Features:
- LOVE IT !!!!LADYLDined on 7/5/2014Love this place My neighbourhood friend....................... I take all my friends See you soon !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 265 reviews are from the Zee Grill reviews archive.
- ZEE PLACE TO BEELADYLDined on 6/26/2014LOVE this place ! The food,the staff,the ambiance ................. GO GO GO !!!!Special Features:
- hungrygirlDined on 6/19/2014Tried Poke Salad, chowder, ahi tuna, scallops and chocolate dessert. Good service and ambience but food was just on par for the price point. Chowder was not the best. Smoked bacon overpowered the soup. The rest of the dishes were decent.Special Features:
- wouldn't recommendLanaDined on 6/14/2014The the main entree portions extremely were very small, for example. the scallops portion had 3 scallops and three peaces of ravioli! and nothing else, beverages were overpriced, overall we spend $250, which was not worth of it. The tables are very close each other, the kitchen is in the middle of the restaurant, and is not ventilated as it is usually done in fish restaurants, so there is a very strong "fishy" smell, which is even for fish lovers is unpleasant. We wanted to discover a new seafood/fish restaurant, but we wont come back there , and wouldn't recommend anybody.Special Features:
- Very NiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/31/2014My wife and I had a great time at the Zee Grill May 30, 2014. Our server , Ryan, did a great job making us feel catered to with every detail. His recommendations on the oysters was helpful. My wife ordered the Divers Scallops and I, the Battered Halibut Special. Everything tasted fresh and flavorful however I would have liked the portions to be a little larger. Overall the experience was quaint and delightful. Good Job to the staff, IgnazioSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- keith10Dined on 5/30/2014Been before, but this time was a disappointment. Service was at best amateurish, food presentation less attractive than before
- Great Oysters!gourmandVIPDined on 5/13/2014Great place for fresh oysters accompanied by small, but useful wine by the glass list. Service is always friendly in this neighbourhood restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oyster letdownknuckledusterDined on 5/10/2014Was craving scallops, googled, found Zee Grill. Google, as often, was right! Yummy yummy scallops, but the oyster selection was a letdown. Only one west coast offering, and it paled in comparison to others (Rodney's) finished with a delicious flour less chocolate cake!Special Features:
- Warm cozy feelingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/10/2014We love Zee Grill and have been coming here for at least 7 years now. Larry is always our server and we look forward to seeing him. At times the food can be a bit slow to come out but when it does, it is fresh, delicious and full of flavour. There is nowhere else we will go for seafood and we love the intimate space that makes us feel wonderful. We endeavour to get here at least once a season because the menus change and Jacques, the owner/chef is always there welcoming you at the door. This is an "aint broke, don't fix" kinda place- the whole plan works and has been perfected over the years. Can't wait to come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Three Time's a CharmMurfDined on 5/9/2014This is the third time I have been to Zee Grill this year. I took my girlfriend again, and two friends this time. They were very impressed. The food was excellent and so was the service. The only complaint I have is that the tables are little close to one another and that makes intimate dining a challenge. Notwithstanding this, Zee Grill is definitely a neighbourhood gem. Highly recommended. I would actually rate Zee Grill 4.5 stars.Special Features:
- A great choice for a night outSuEeDined on 5/3/2014We love going to Zee Grill because of all the fish and seafood choices. The Hawaiian Seafood Poke Salad is fantastic, a mixture of tastes that delights. The calamari is excellent (perhaps worthy of a main course). Our server was attentive and sweet, bringing tasters of wine despite a limited wines by the glass menu. He also spoke with the chef who accommodated us by making the main course scallops with a stir fry that was heartily enjoyed. The restaurant is dark in some parts, and light in others, so you might want to request a table according to your preferences.Special Features:
- WHO KNEW?LADYLDined on 5/2/2014I have lived by this restaurant since it opened and have commented MANY times about trying it but WOW,now that I have,it will be a fave on my list ! It was outstanding Only two little snags,the cocktail prices are WAY too high so get wine. It was my birthday and the waiter DID put a candle in my dessert but he also made me pay for it,not cool........................Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect as always!Joe3Dined on 5/2/2014oysters perfect; scallops in sea urchin sauce heavenly. Service outstanding. And now there were razor clams !!! Saves you a flight to Barcelona !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- consistently goodGGeatshereDined on 4/26/2014Food service and atmosphere consistently excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, excellent service!!LovemyfoodVIPDined on 4/25/2014I randomly googled any nice place to eat grilled fish and came across this restaurant. I must say one of the best sea food restaurants I have ever been to. For anyone looking for a good sea food meal in a quite cozy restaurant then this is definetly a must try!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable and tasty!Dcw1Dined on 4/19/2014Overall a great little restaurant...fabulous scallops...attentive friendly service...would definitely recommend...great local spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Meal in a great ambienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/18/2014Zee Grill is a great find in the Mount Pleasant and Eglinton area. The decor is quite nice, with gorgeous exposed brick and lots of unique character. We had appetizers of crab cake, fish tacos and calamari. The crab cake and fish tacos were awesome. We all had the panko halibut and frites special - chef's interpretation of fish and chips. It was absolutely awesome with a great homemade tartar sauce - we loved it. For dessert there was lemon meringue ice cream sandwich, flourless chocolate cake, and apple torte. They were all great, although the pastry on the apple court was a little undercooked. The service was friendly, without being overbearing. Overall we loved it, and will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always very goodWineloverDined on 4/15/2014We eat there 6-10 times a year, and it never fails to deliver. Our favorite meal is the Zee salad and the lobster. They also have a nice wine list.Special Features:
- Good FoodHeatherDined on 4/11/2014My husband and I recently found this restaurant and it's very close for us so we were excited to see the great reviews. Our waitress was very helpful and knowledgeable of the menu. We both really enjoyed our app';s and entrees. The dessert was also delicious. My only issue was that they charged 20 dollars for a martini. I think that is about 5 dollars more then even some of the best restaurants in Toronto. It also was not a great Martini. We won't order them again.Special Features: