419 W. Superior St.
Chicago, IL 60610Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.zealousrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 3124759112
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Michael Taus
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Private Party Facilities: Chef Michael Taus and his dedicated team offer unbridled passion along with extraordinary cuisine, wine and service. The well appointed dining room provides a perfect setting for corporate events, weddings, rehearsal dinners, as well as other dining events. Cocktail Receptions for as many as 200.
- Private Party Contact: Jeanette 8777676410
A word from Zealous
After 10 years in Chicago, Zealous Restaurant remains as innovative as ever. Chef Michael Taus continues to showcase contemporary American dishes inspired by seasonal ingredients at this River North mainstay. Look for Sesame Crusted Chilean Sea Bass with Pan-Fried Rice Noodles and Red Coconut Curry Sauce, Butter Poached Maine Lobster with Braised Shortrib and Chilled Vichyssoise Puree , a variety of vegetarian-friendly dishes, and the Harvarti Burger that’s received so much attention both in and outside the industry. Pair your dinner with one of the restaurant's extensive wine selections housed in the restaurant’s breathtaking wine cellar. Considered one of the most modern and beautiful venue’s in Chicago, Zealous is a must for any food and wine enthusiast. Open Tuesday through Saturday 5:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. and Select Sundays and Mondays. Zealous also specializes in private events for groups of 15 up to 250.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Zealous reviews from OpenTable diners
- One of the best restaurantsfrp0511VIPDined on 12/28/2012One of the best restaurants in the city....I'm sad they will be closing.Special Features:
- This was a last minute reservation,FoodieVIPDined on 12/27/2012This was a last minute reservation, mid week. The tasting menu was creative and delicious. the servers were very helpful and professional. This was the best fillet of beef that I have had in a lond time, It was only out done by the fish course. Michael is a magician in the kitchen!!Special Features:
- When we got there, they saidOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 12/27/2012When we got there, they said they were closing the restaurant on December 31st.
- Will miss Zealous, they lostCharlieGDined on 12/22/2012Will miss Zealous, they lost their lease. Hopefully, they re-open in as nice a space.
- Had not heard much about thisLP21VIPDined on 12/4/2012Had not heard much about this place and absolutely loved it. It was pricey, but in my opinion worth it. Food was delicious, and they gave free amuse-bouche and desserts. Service was good and friendly. Atmosphere was modern but still warm and comfortable. Definitely recommend Zealous!Special Features:
- needs less pomp more substanceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/28/2012food was good however a little pretencious for my liking. Presentation was excellent menu was a bit limited especially with them being out of the rib eye. Can't say I would recommend for the price it leaves you wanting.Special Features:
- Superb Tasting MenuOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/17/2012The food was superb. I did the seven course grand menu. The flavors were incredible and very unique. My only criticism would be that the portion sizes were incredibly large. An unfortunate trend in tasting menus, especially in Chicago. The wine pairings and selections were fantastic. Our server and guide was very generous and knowledgable. Truly an experience you must do in Chicago.Special Features:
- Perfect for a group!northshorefoodieDined on 11/10/2012The 7 of us began at the bar with some great cocktails. Moved to the dining room and sat at a table that was quiet and secluded and just perfect for conversation. Everyone raved about the sea bass, duck, filet and scallops. Desserts were great, although the key lime creme brule tarts were not tart enough. Service was impeccable. One of the best parts about the night was there was parking available right out front!Special Features:
- We were extemely disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/10/2012We were extemely disappointed with our experience at Zealous. The service was very poor. On two occassions we had to ask the busboy (?) to call our waiter, The first time was for a drink order and menus as we had waited for about 5 minutes--this was so even though the restuarant was only about 25 % full at that time. We ordered the 5 course tasting menu for $85.00 per person. While one or two of the courses were OK, the duck (3rd course) and first course were not passable.
- Have been to Zealous numerousBaldeglDined on 11/9/2012Have been to Zealous numerous times and have never been disappointed. They did a nice job with a gluten free guest.Special Features:
- Portions seemed small, butWoodyDined on 11/9/2012Portions seemed small, but ended up full by end of meal. Bar was empty. Few large groups came, which increased noise level. My wife and I enjoyed a nice meal close to home.Special Features:
- Nice look - modern designOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/30/2012Nice look - modern design in an exposed brick, high ceilinged building. The waiter was most helpful, we followed his suggestions and the food was excellent with ambitious, flavorful combinations. Portions were small. Was there on a Tuesday night, only five tables occupied, very quiet.Special Features:
- Zealous is a very nice diningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/24/2012Zealous is a very nice dining experience. The service was excellent and the each course was well done. Our waiter was helpful and personable. The food was very tasty, but the presentation of the food was particularly outstanding.Special Features:
- Hidden Gem!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/16/2012The ambiance and decor was amazing. The food was exceptional and cooked to perfection. I will make a visit back to Zealous soon with friends and family..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impersonable staff ThereGreenteaDined on 10/6/2012Impersonable staff There were only 14 patrons in the entire resauarant. The outside area was like a ghost town.
- Chef Michael is a pleasureOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/5/2012Chef Michael is a pleasure to speak with; the ambiance is fantastic, especially if you appreciate lighting, texture, and good timeless design. The modern bar is tended by a great, knowledgeable bartender, and all the staff were welcoming. We loved our appetizers and dinner (and drinks) and highly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:
- This place was fine. I choseOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/3/2012This place was fine. I chose it because on their menu it notes "Zealous specializes in vegetarian, vegan, and special dietary needs." That is not really true. They do have a hearty vegetarian menu but as far as vegan- they could offer two different salads to modify, a plate of steamed veggies, or one other thing they could modify. It was fine but I would not say "specializes". Ambiance ok. If you are looking for a quiet spot, this is good. If you are hoping to be more in city center- I would not recommend this place. Otherwise the server was great.Special Features:
- We had a lovely dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/22/2012We had a lovely dining experience with another couple we hadnt seen in months. The wait staff was wonderful without being invasive providing us a great opportunity to continue our conversations without interruptions. We all ordered different entree's and were pleased with our choices. I would definitely recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Very pleasant, elegant (butengprofVIPDined on 9/21/2012Very pleasant, elegant (but not stuffy) dining room, where you can actually hear yourself talk. Inventive, interesting food. Reasonablhy good wine list, a little on the high side.Special Features:
- Can't wait to returnOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 9/18/2012A group of us from work were in on a quiet Tuesday night, but found the ambience, service and food was as stellar as if it were a busy, important evening for the staff. Halibut was heavenly, and everyone else at the table loved their food - the pork cheeks, the cassoulet.Special Features:
- Very nice restaurant for niceTMazDined on 9/8/2012Very nice restaurant for nice quiet dinner with excellent food. Waitstaff could be a bit more friendlier thhough as they are nice but stuffy.Special Features:
- mr.joeljcj2Dined on 9/1/2012excellent, traditional style french technique haute cuisine in a contemporart setting. beautiful preparations and service. wine list tends toward pricey with scattered modestly priced high-quals. not a new ,hip joint , but very pleasing. we shall returnSpecial Features:
- our meal was really terrific,OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/31/2012our meal was really terrific, I would certainly tell friends to comeSpecial Features:
- Lovely restaurant. Great ambience,OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/28/2012Lovely restaurant. Great ambience, attentive and pleasant service. Mixed review on food, wonderful desserts.Special Features:
- The food and the service wasOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/28/2012The food and the service was good. However, I thought the menu was VERY overpriced and the restaurant concept is a bit dated. The menu was a bit all over the place and lacked focus. The space and location may be better served and patronized as a cocktail lounge with a few small and large plate selections.Special Features:
- Exceptional service as usual.OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/28/2012Exceptional service as usual. We had a lovely anniversary dinner. Our appetizers were outstanding. My polynesian salad was extremely tasty and my husband loved the gazpacho soup and taco-dosa appetizer. My husband raved about the ribeye steak entree and my grilled salmon was delicious. We took our time and savored the entire dinner and finished up with fantastic desserts. We had a wonderful time and highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Probably wouldn't go back...tjs6677VIPDined on 8/24/2012Saw this on Check Please a while ago and thought we'd give it a try. The space was slightly dated (loft style circa 1991..curved walls, etc.) and the restaurant was a quarter filled at best. The pancakes with foie were sensational but the rest of the meal was off. The fish was overly salted and the pork cheeks were plain and pot-roasty. Grand total $200+tip. With all the other restaurant choices at the moment, probably wouldn't go back.Special Features:
- Overall, the food is goodOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/18/2012Overall, the food is good but despite calling in advance, they were unable to provide sufficient options for those with dietary restrictions in our group (especially gluten-free).
- Happiness on a plateOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/17/2012This is the first 5-star rating I have given. What a wonderful restaurant and experience! I only wish I had found it sooner. The wait staff is very knowledgable and personable. They make sure you have a wonderful experience, and provide top knotch service that is not pretentious. The meal was one of the best that I have had. Chef Michael has put together a menu that is inventive, comforting, light and filling all in 1. I knew I was in for a delightful evening with the dinner rolls, which are like little pillows of heaven, soft and flavorful. I usually skip the bread plate but couldn't stop eating these. The rest of the meal was no exception. They don't know it yet but this is my new favorite restaurant and plan to be a frequent diner here!Special Features:
- The food was very good, asOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/11/2012The food was very good, as was the service. The scallops were amazing and the apple tart dessert was great. They recommended a great wine for us and we were very pleased overall.Special Features:
- I took a group of 7 and weWinemanVIPDined on 8/9/2012I took a group of 7 and we all had a very enjoyable evening. Great food, service, and wine. The service was especially good. Nice warm people.Special Features:
- Continues to be our favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/27/2012Continues to be our favorite restaurant in Chicago. The menu although limited in number of choices offers a wide spectrum of flavorful combinations to appeal to all taste palettes.Special Features:
- Sea bass dish quite disappointing--OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 7/27/2012Sea bass dish quite disappointing--salty and somewhat overcooked.
- We really enjoyed everythingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/24/2012We really enjoyed everything about this luxurious restaurant. The food is unexpected and very fine.Special Features:
- great food, awful servicegoshendocVIPDined on 7/12/2012I've been wanting to go for years. I guess I picked a slow night. They were understaffed and too busy with a party in a private room. It took almost 45 minutes to get gazpacho, something that obviously needs no preparation. This is one where great food cannot make up for poor service and disregard for customers. I gave it 3 stars instead of 1 or 2 because the food was fantastic although the experience was not.Special Features:
- Beautiful room, very calming.DiDiVIPDined on 7/7/2012Beautiful room, very calming. Loved the expericence. however my main course was not "fabulous". Our appetizers were wonderful and my husband's entree was fabulous. My halibut was just o.k. I order halibut a lot, and this preperation was just tasteless!Special Features:
- Wine overpriced. Food disappointingAnnanVIPDined on 7/7/2012Wine overpriced. Food disappointing. Too long between courses. This place not what it used to be. Won't be going back, too many great places in Chicago.
- The food was very tasty, howeverOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/30/2012The food was very tasty, however the portion size was very small and not worth $35+ a plate.Special Features:
- Great service, creative menuSheaVIPDined on 6/22/2012From the minute we arrived until we left we felt welcome. Service was impeccable. Loved the quiet area we were seated in by the gorgeous ceiling to floor wine collection. We all ordered different main courses- and each had its own twist. Like theKorean style fried chicken - with fuji apples. Each dish had a delicious surprise. Like the chilean sea bass with coconut curry sauce. Scallops were amazing. Ordered the garlic romano cheese fries to share . This is a place to take your time and enjoy each bite.Special Features:
- The food is probably theOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/19/2012The food is probably the best I ever had in Chicago! Makes me feel like I am in New York! Best cosmo I ever had! Better than any bar in Chicago!Special Features: