1255 Johnson Ferry Rd
Marietta, GA 30068Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.zealrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6784017142x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Monday thru Friday 11:30am-3:00pm
Dinner Monday thru Thursday 3:00pm-10:00pm
Dinner Friday-Saturday 3:00pm-11:00pm
Saturday and Sunday Brunch: 11:00am to 3:00pm
Sunday Dinner 4:00pm-9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American, Tapas / Small Plates
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: Please contact Scott Sawant
A word from Zeal
Zeal is a chic, farm-to-table modern eatery that brings to the Merchant"s Walk area of East Cobb an exciting new dining option. Our selection of craft beers and boutique wines and spirits blend with our chef inspired menu of appetizers, entrees and small plates which are 80% gluten free. A living room menu for the bar complements our crafted bar offerings and adds a vibe to gathering with your friends.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
Zeal reviews from OpenTable diners
110 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (76)fit for foodies (50)good for groups (42)great for outdoor dining (42)great for lunch (39)special occasion (30)kid-friendly (29)great for brunch (26)notable wine list (25)vibrant bar scene (18)hot spot (17)romantic (13)late-night find (12)scenic view (4)Show More
- Pleasantly surprisedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014After hearing some questionable reviews of this restaurant, we had hesitated to try it. We acquired a gift card for Zeal at a charity auction and decided to forge ahead and we were pleasantly surprised at how good it was. We shared a Mediterranean kabob appetizer and the "small plates" trout over couscous, stuffed pork tenderloin - all delicious! My husband had the NY strip over mushroom risotto - also delicious. The service was very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wish it was better.FoodienotcookieDined on 8/30/2014I've been waiting to go there thinking it would be on par with seed, the mill & chicken and the egg. It's not. It's good. But not great. If we go back it will be to take our kid for a burger & dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Appetizers To Die ForChocoliciousDined on 8/30/2014Overall Zeal was fantastic. It was a party of 6 (including a baby :) and the service was great. I loved all of the appetizers we ordered. The Coconut Curry Mussels were delicious. I want to bottle that sauce and put it on everything. The duck confit naan was unctuous. The chicken lollipops were juicy little nuggets of tandoor cooked chicken and a lovely mango sauce with a little kick. The fried green tomatoes were extra delish. I would have given a complete 5 stars but the small plate I ordered was a bit cold. I ordered the lamb. The lamb and the cous cous were just a bit cold and I wasn't able to appreciate the flavors. Other than that, delicious food, great decor and awesome service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad we found this place.loverestaurantsVIPDined on 8/24/2014Friendly, courteous staff, creative varied menu, really inexpensive for the level of food. I tried the fried green tomatoes with fig goat cheese and breaded. Really delicious. The Margeurita Naan Flatbread was excellent. I had grilled salmon with maple glaze. - excellent. Cooked just right and tasted great. My husband had a slight issue though. He order the trout with couscous. The chef was kind enough to cook him the couscous vegetarian (without chicken broth) and it took twice as long as everyone else's dish. Then when it came, the fish was dry. But overall, we enjoyed the meal a great deal, and if we're ever back in Marietta, we'll go back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/23/2014had a 7pm rezy but had to wait 20 mins for a table. the food was good, not great, not bad. The "small plates" had the same amount of food as the "entrées", at least at our table that night. no sense paying the entree' prices. the dessert, we chose the bread pudding, was dry and over cooked, like a crusty muffin...yuck-oSpecial Features:
- Another WinnerKarinVIPDined on 8/23/2014We have been to Zeal many times and it is consistently good. Had the trout which was fabulous. The desserts in the small jars were really good. Best to order all 3!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Group dining experiencegrlnxtdrDined on 8/23/2014Great place for group dining. Ambience wonderful. Menu varied but could have offered more entrée options in the seafood category.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a disapointment!dotters2013Dined on 8/23/2014Trying to hard to be Seed. Had a coupon so we tried it. Won't go again. Food was mediocre and expensive. Will go to Seed and really enjoy the food for the same prices.Special Features:
- FinerDinerFinerDinerDined on 8/23/2014If you love peach cocktails, do not miss the Southern Margarita with fresh peach pieces in the drink! The burgers are unique. Mine had fig goat cheese and a fried green tomato on top. Zucchini fries are yummy too! Fun atmosphere and decor in East Cobb!Special Features:
- Copeland45Dined on 8/22/2014Great service and delicious food, good wine recommendations by staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our best yetBillyHuntVIPDined on 8/16/2014Food,drinks and service the best we've had on our third visit, Only problems no credit for groupon reservation and no working bathrooms.Special Features:
- Great new restaurant in East Cobb!PawDawg66Dined on 8/16/2014I highly recommend Zeal! Great food, great beers, great atmosphere! Did I say it was a great place. If you are looking for upscale in East Cobb at resonable prices this is the place to go.Special Features:
- Dinner Party ExclusivetenniskatDined on 8/16/2014Scott was so very kind and attentive to our request to have a dinner party at his restaurant. He personally answered our questions and made sure we were all well received and seated in a timely fashion. The wait staff was casual, attentive, and personable and were helpful with every dinner guest. Sean has been our waiter on several occasions and did not disappoint this time. He did very well with our group of 16 year old girls. My husband and I could not have asked for a better experience. We will be returning for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shout out to the Chef!BotkokingVIPDined on 8/15/2014I would like to give a mention to Chef Kayla who has been doing a really amazing job after recently replacing the previous Chef. She oversees everything that leaves the kitchen and a couple of my recent favorites are the Thai chicken flatbread, the veggie burger and the market fish tacos. Great job Kayla! You and your team are very accommodating and you prepare some very tasty dishes.Special Features:
- First timeDawnieWanieDined on 8/13/2014The restaurant is very attractive. The blue cheese tenderloin with mushroom rissoto was great. The seafood pasta would have been good had it not had so much sauce and lemony flavor. Calamari was delicious. Our server couldn't have been nicer. Very efficient as well. For me, some of the menu was not very interesting and some too pricey. I would go again and try the burgers.Special Features:
- Client LuncheonCmacDined on 8/13/2014Great Menu, food, Service! Loved the Patio seating. Perfect for entertaining!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good, but priceysavvyladyDined on 8/10/2014Enjoyed it. But, without our half - off deal it would have been a very expensive lunch for 2 adults and 2 kids. Will only return for drinks or if I have a promotion.Special Features:
- small portionsmedineDined on 8/9/2014When it first opened it had good portions and designed for sharable dishes and reasonable price. WE had the seafood pasta and it had 3 shrimp, 4 tiny clams and pasta. Oh and the Shrimp was not cooked..the Chef agreed. They tried to do what they could but I wont be back. For that price you can go get some really good meals.
- Large menuGLdineoutDined on 8/9/2014Lots of choices. Pork chop tasty and nicely cooked. Trout was bland and Caesar salad strange as it was sweer and close to a mayonnaise mixture.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fish of the day was delicious.LynnAVIPDined on 8/9/2014Will go back again very soon! The fish and stuffed pork dish were both yummy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lack of ZealtkthebakerVIPDined on 8/8/2014This is a great place location wise and the bar is great! Outdoor patio and great bartenders, wine list etc. The menu is exciting but the food is lackluster. The mussels in curry coconut broth were so tiny there was barely any meat, the broth lacked substance and flavor. The lamb was overcooked and we sent it back only to have it come out again over cooked just not as much. Most chefs know that lamb is best served rare to medium rare. 1" mussels should not have left the kitchen and some of them never even opened. Very disappointing. I may be back but will only sit at the bar for a few drinks before dining elsewhereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too loud too longOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/8/2014Extremely loud - couldn't really hear each other at all. Server was very attentive, but kitchen was crazily backed up. Food was ok. Manager did come by and apologize - with n/c desserts - but we would much rather have had our food in a reasonsable time. With Seed and Common Quarter nearby at the same price point - not sure it's worth it - unless the other two are booked. Seriously - 90 minutes for salad entrees!! Manager did call the next day - but prob won't try it again :(
- Why isn't it busier?NormsnanDined on 8/6/2014This restaurant should be packed, but it's not. Food was good, but there is something missing. We had a Thai chicken flatbread as an appetizer, which was very tasty. Our ahi tuna salads were good...but not great. Tuna was cooked perfectly, but was not terribly flavorful. Salad was fresh, dressing was dull...maybe because I had it served on the side. This restaurant appears to have what it needs to do well. They need to Kick it up a notch somehow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful as always.JamesDined on 8/5/2014I was with a group of four this past Tuesday and had the best time. The new menu had lots of great choices on it, so we shared everything that we ordered. We had the special which was a pan seared salmon with a three cheese grit cake and a seafood cream sauce, a pistachio crusted lamb loin, the market fish with the seaweed salad and bok choy, fried green tomatoes with fig goat cheese and a cheese and charcuterie plate. We also had a bottle of Sancerre and a bottle of Cristom Oregon Pinot Noir. The white chocolate truffle cheesecake with the chocolate top was definitely worth trying. Even though it was busy, the service was still good. We will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local GemBeerSnobDined on 8/5/2014We went to Zeal for a Tuesday night dinner! Quite packed for Tuesday, must be back to school or something but they seemed to deserve it. This was our 3rd time there and our server Jim did a phenomenal job. It was national oyster day and we had a dozen for $12, what a deal for big James river oysters. It was also wine night for $20 a bottle. I had the braised short ribs, and my partner had the market fish, which was red fish for the week. It was nice she liked that it was well marinated and grilled to her preferred temperature and cooked right. We go to Ormsbys at Howell mill a lot, for the beer choices and I think Zeals new beer list is by far the best we have seen! It's awesome! We will back very soon! Keep it up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very averageHSVlocalDined on 8/2/2014We were celebrating my sister's birthday, and choices were limited as we didn't decide far enough in advance. Admittedly, we chose this because it wasn't a chain in Marietta, but the food wasn't even that good. The menu had a few interesting items on it (flat breads, fried green tomatoes), but they were very plain and a little doughy. My steak & pommes frites were very ordinary though I finished it; noone else finished their dish. Even the desserts were ordinary. The staff were nice & it wasn't crowded on a Friday night. It still seems new, so maybe changes can be made to at least make it a good neighborhood option.
- ZealessOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 8/1/2014This was our second time here and probably would not return. Nothing outstanding to say I got to come back here. Felt rushed- we had an appetizer and felt within about 5 min after we got it, and still food left on the plate, they were asking to remove it (asked no less than 3-4 times). They charge $5 for a bread basket it was just plain Italian loaf with maple butter. I was expecting something special if you charge. You can get the same thing at any other place complimentary. Food was mediocre at best. The hummus was good and the dessert was good but the overall experience, nah. Entree wasn't hot and just so-so in taste and flavor. Had pork tenderloin with jalapeño, it said, expecting something with some spice, but just bland.
- Outstanding food in East Cobb!PawDawg66Dined on 7/27/2014Went to Zeal on a Sunday night with my wife and daughter. Everyone loved the ambiance and the "scene." The service was very good and the food was outstanding! Got a chance to speak with one of the owners who was very engaging and told us about the menu and upcoming plans for the restaurant. I will difinitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Food but still problemsFoodieVIPDined on 7/27/2014The food was delicious. I ordered trout and the portion size was very small for the trout and the couscous was more like a decoration. My husband ordered the strip steak and said it was very tasty. They nickel and dime you at restaurant. We had to pay for bread that was not worth the $5 we were charged. Everything is alacarte. We ordered brocolli and while cooked property it could have used some seasonings or a sauce for the price we paid. The service was excellent. We sat at one of the tables and the chairs are very uncomfortable for what is suppose to be an upscale restaurant.Special Features:
- Sunday FundayCobbFoodDorkDined on 7/27/2014Zeal seems to be getting better and better! Lunch was great, dinner was phenomenal and now brunch was spot on. My family and I went to Zeal for their Sunday Brunch. It was simple and unique in it's self. We really enjoyed their lunch and dinner offering so we were glad that the full lunch menu was offered at the same time as brunch. Casey was our server and made recommendations for the stuffed Crepes with banana sauce and mascarpone, now that was heavenly. My brother had the pulled pork mango BBQ sandwich which he says is his favorite sandwich now! We also had some Bloody Mary's and Mimosa, the bartender was on his or her A game cause the drinks were perfect! Can't wait till they do bottomless mimosas in couple weeks. See you soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost PerfectTinzerVIPDined on 7/26/2014The food was amazing. I had a Salmon Salad and it did not disappoint. The Malbec was delicious. We went there for a birthday dinner and they accommodated all 12 of us. The only complaint was the construction going on on the outside of the building but I figure that will be fixed soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Zeal 7.26.14kgatthetableDined on 7/26/2014Service was excellent. Noise level was a bit loud but not too bad. Liked the décor and more importantly really liked the food. Had hummus appetizer and Kale salad with shrimp. Would recommend it and look forward to going back.Special Features:
- Best visit yet!joopnightVIPDined on 7/25/2014My wife and I have been to Zeal a few times, but this was our best visit yet. We've never had a bad meal here, but the new menu is great! The chicken and lamb skewers are very good to start. We also had a Thai flat bread pizza that was good, as well as the chicken entrée. Lastly, we finished off with peanut butter brownie and a key lime dessert cup. Everything we had was wonderful, but honestly I would probably pass on the key lime dessert (tasted of cheese and salt, and not much key lime flavor). The brownie was to die for! All in all, however, the meal was excellent, and we will be back again and again. Great neighborhood gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceeastcobbdinerDined on 7/25/2014A friend and I recently had dinner at Zeal after a movie. The décor is hip and modern. The wait staff friendly and helpful. Best of all, the food was outstanding. I rarely order pork when eating out but I'm so glad I tried the stuffed pork tenderloin. It was delicious. Zeal is a welcome addition to East Cobb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food -- great valueOTPFoodieVIPDined on 7/19/2014We had been hesitant to try Zeal due to previous reviews, but we took the plunge on Saturday night, and boy, were we pleasantly surprised! The food was excellent -- an excellent value for the money. Short ribs were succulent and the trout with couscous and golden raisins was spot-on. Lightly crispy, but moist. And served HOT! Salad was fresh, creative and delicious. Love the green tomato croutons! Wish I had saved room for dessert! Thanks, Scott, for noting that we were "first-timers" and for making sure that we were happy. We were! We will be back!Special Features:
- East Cobb Fine DiningEastcobbdiningDined on 7/19/2014Food delicious, wine list appropriate, bar with friends -super comfortable and welcoming. Overall an excellent experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girls Night Out - WIN!ECBerlinFoodieDined on 7/10/2014I chose Zeal for a Girls Night Out on a Thursday. It was busy but not packed. We had a reservation for 7pm but we arrived early and were seated right away. Our waiter was friendly and patient and very attentive. They have a great selection of cocktails, beer and wine. My food was great. I ordered the duck, leek & cranberry flat bread. We all ordered different items and we were all very pleased. There were so many other menu items I would love to try so I will definitely be going back soon.Special Features:
- first visit, will go backMrsLinATLDined on 7/10/2014We had 7 in our group for a business lunch. Our group was seated in a booth, with 5 on the booth side and 2 chairs. I found this a little awkward - thankfully no one in the middle of the 5 needed to excuse themselves. There were plenty of large available tables so not sure why this seating was used. No one ordered appetizers or wine, just from the lunch menu which was of a good size and wide variety. I'd read on their website that this is a farm to table concept, too bad the waiter did not educate us about this (he seemed nervous, perhaps new). Several of us ordered salads, a couple had pasta. Extra dressing was needed for the salads, which we asked for and received. Only one person did not really enjoy their meal (one of the pasta dishes).Special Features:
- Great OTP find!MarieDined on 7/6/2014Booked a table with low expectations and was so pleasantly surprised! From drink recommendation, all the way thru dessert, what a fantastic experience. Could've been in Old 4th Ward, VH, or Westside! So refreshing for OTP Marietta! Decor is hip and the farm to table menu is varied. I had the ahi salad with wasabi vinagrette - amazing! My husband had the bourbon burger and zucchini fries which ranked right up with a Vortex or Highland tap burger. The fried green tomato app was really good as well. We will be back often.Special Features:
- 4th of July faux pasdineoftenVIPDined on 7/4/2014Made a reservation for 7:00 PM. Sat at the bar-fun bartenders. We got to the table by 7:15 PM. The server was in a big rush. He immediately asked us what we wanted to eat and drink. We asked for a few minutes. We ordered wine and were then told the kitchen is closing in 10 minutes We ordered some appetizers and then the meal. When the meal came it was cold. Most likely they cooked it and closed the kitchen and it sat until we were ready. My advice to this restaurant: Don't open on a holiday if you are not going to provide a full service experience. Certainly don't take a reservation if you are going to give the patron one hour to dine. Perhaps this is a good restaurant and we just went on the wrong day. I will never know.Special Features: