1255 Johnson Ferry Rd
Marietta, GA 30068Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.zealrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6784017142x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Monday thru Friday 11:30am-3:00pm
Dinner Monday thru Thursday 3:00pm-10:00pm
Dinner Friday-Saturday 3:00pm-11:00pm
Saturday and Sunday Brunch: 11:00am to 3:00pm
Sunday Dinner 4:00pm-9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American, Tapas / Small Plates
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: Please contact Scott Sawant
A word from Zeal
Zeal is a chic, farm-to-table modern eatery that brings to the Merchant"s Walk area of East Cobb an exciting new dining option. Our selection of craft beers and boutique wines and spirits blend with our chef inspired menu of appetizers, entrees and small plates which are 80% gluten free. A living room menu for the bar complements our crafted bar offerings and adds a vibe to gathering with your friends.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
Zeal reviews from OpenTable diners
105 reviews since April 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (74)fit for foodies (46)great for outdoor dining (43)good for groups (39)great for lunch (36)kid-friendly (28)special occasion (25)notable wine list (23)great for brunch (22)vibrant bar scene (16)hot spot (14)romantic (12)late-night find (10)scenic view (4)Show More
- Dinner Party ExclusivetenniskatDined on 8/16/2014Scott was so very kind and attentive to our request to have a dinner party at his restaurant. He personally answered our questions and made sure we were all well received and seated in a timely fashion. The wait staff was casual, attentive, and personable and were helpful with every dinner guest. Sean has been our waiter on several occasions and did not disappoint this time. He did very well with our group of 16 year old girls. My husband and I could not have asked for a better experience. We will be returning for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shout out to the Chef!BotkokingVIPDined on 8/15/2014I would like to give a mention to Chef Kayla who has been doing a really amazing job after recently replacing the previous Chef. She oversees everything that leaves the kitchen and a couple of my recent favorites are the Thai chicken flatbread, the veggie burger and the market fish tacos. Great job Kayla! You and your team are very accommodating and you prepare some very tasty dishes.Special Features:
- First timeDawnieWanieDined on 8/13/2014The restaurant is very attractive. The blue cheese tenderloin with mushroom rissoto was great. The seafood pasta would have been good had it not had so much sauce and lemony flavor. Calamari was delicious. Our server couldn't have been nicer. Very efficient as well. For me, some of the menu was not very interesting and some too pricey. I would go again and try the burgers.Special Features:
- Client LuncheonCmacDined on 8/13/2014Great Menu, food, Service! Loved the Patio seating. Perfect for entertaining!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good, but priceysavvyladyDined on 8/10/2014Enjoyed it. But, without our half - off deal it would have been a very expensive lunch for 2 adults and 2 kids. Will only return for drinks or if I have a promotion.Special Features:
- small portionsmedineDined on 8/9/2014When it first opened it had good portions and designed for sharable dishes and reasonable price. WE had the seafood pasta and it had 3 shrimp, 4 tiny clams and pasta. Oh and the Shrimp was not cooked..the Chef agreed. They tried to do what they could but I wont be back. For that price you can go get some really good meals.
- Large menuGLdineoutDined on 8/9/2014Lots of choices. Pork chop tasty and nicely cooked. Trout was bland and Caesar salad strange as it was sweer and close to a mayonnaise mixture.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fish of the day was delicious.LynnAVIPDined on 8/9/2014Will go back again very soon! The fish and stuffed pork dish were both yummy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lack of ZealtkthebakerVIPDined on 8/8/2014This is a great place location wise and the bar is great! Outdoor patio and great bartenders, wine list etc. The menu is exciting but the food is lackluster. The mussels in curry coconut broth were so tiny there was barely any meat, the broth lacked substance and flavor. The lamb was overcooked and we sent it back only to have it come out again over cooked just not as much. Most chefs know that lamb is best served rare to medium rare. 1" mussels should not have left the kitchen and some of them never even opened. Very disappointing. I may be back but will only sit at the bar for a few drinks before dining elsewhereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too loud too longOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/8/2014Extremely loud - couldn't really hear each other at all. Server was very attentive, but kitchen was crazily backed up. Food was ok. Manager did come by and apologize - with n/c desserts - but we would much rather have had our food in a reasonsable time. With Seed and Common Quarter nearby at the same price point - not sure it's worth it - unless the other two are booked. Seriously - 90 minutes for salad entrees!! Manager did call the next day - but prob won't try it again :(
- Why isn't it busier?NormsnanDined on 8/6/2014This restaurant should be packed, but it's not. Food was good, but there is something missing. We had a Thai chicken flatbread as an appetizer, which was very tasty. Our ahi tuna salads were good...but not great. Tuna was cooked perfectly, but was not terribly flavorful. Salad was fresh, dressing was dull...maybe because I had it served on the side. This restaurant appears to have what it needs to do well. They need to Kick it up a notch somehow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful as always.JamesDined on 8/5/2014I was with a group of four this past Tuesday and had the best time. The new menu had lots of great choices on it, so we shared everything that we ordered. We had the special which was a pan seared salmon with a three cheese grit cake and a seafood cream sauce, a pistachio crusted lamb loin, the market fish with the seaweed salad and bok choy, fried green tomatoes with fig goat cheese and a cheese and charcuterie plate. We also had a bottle of Sancerre and a bottle of Cristom Oregon Pinot Noir. The white chocolate truffle cheesecake with the chocolate top was definitely worth trying. Even though it was busy, the service was still good. We will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local GemBeerSnobDined on 8/5/2014We went to Zeal for a Tuesday night dinner! Quite packed for Tuesday, must be back to school or something but they seemed to deserve it. This was our 3rd time there and our server Jim did a phenomenal job. It was national oyster day and we had a dozen for $12, what a deal for big James river oysters. It was also wine night for $20 a bottle. I had the braised short ribs, and my partner had the market fish, which was red fish for the week. It was nice she liked that it was well marinated and grilled to her preferred temperature and cooked right. We go to Ormsbys at Howell mill a lot, for the beer choices and I think Zeals new beer list is by far the best we have seen! It's awesome! We will back very soon! Keep it up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very averageHSVlocalDined on 8/2/2014We were celebrating my sister's birthday, and choices were limited as we didn't decide far enough in advance. Admittedly, we chose this because it wasn't a chain in Marietta, but the food wasn't even that good. The menu had a few interesting items on it (flat breads, fried green tomatoes), but they were very plain and a little doughy. My steak & pommes frites were very ordinary though I finished it; noone else finished their dish. Even the desserts were ordinary. The staff were nice & it wasn't crowded on a Friday night. It still seems new, so maybe changes can be made to at least make it a good neighborhood option.
- ZealessOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 8/1/2014This was our second time here and probably would not return. Nothing outstanding to say I got to come back here. Felt rushed- we had an appetizer and felt within about 5 min after we got it, and still food left on the plate, they were asking to remove it (asked no less than 3-4 times). They charge $5 for a bread basket it was just plain Italian loaf with maple butter. I was expecting something special if you charge. You can get the same thing at any other place complimentary. Food was mediocre at best. The hummus was good and the dessert was good but the overall experience, nah. Entree wasn't hot and just so-so in taste and flavor. Had pork tenderloin with jalapeño, it said, expecting something with some spice, but just bland.
- Outstanding food in East Cobb!PawDawg66Dined on 7/27/2014Went to Zeal on a Sunday night with my wife and daughter. Everyone loved the ambiance and the "scene." The service was very good and the food was outstanding! Got a chance to speak with one of the owners who was very engaging and told us about the menu and upcoming plans for the restaurant. I will difinitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Food but still problemsFoodieVIPDined on 7/27/2014The food was delicious. I ordered trout and the portion size was very small for the trout and the couscous was more like a decoration. My husband ordered the strip steak and said it was very tasty. They nickel and dime you at restaurant. We had to pay for bread that was not worth the $5 we were charged. Everything is alacarte. We ordered brocolli and while cooked property it could have used some seasonings or a sauce for the price we paid. The service was excellent. We sat at one of the tables and the chairs are very uncomfortable for what is suppose to be an upscale restaurant.Special Features:
- Sunday FundayCobbFoodDorkDined on 7/27/2014Zeal seems to be getting better and better! Lunch was great, dinner was phenomenal and now brunch was spot on. My family and I went to Zeal for their Sunday Brunch. It was simple and unique in it's self. We really enjoyed their lunch and dinner offering so we were glad that the full lunch menu was offered at the same time as brunch. Casey was our server and made recommendations for the stuffed Crepes with banana sauce and mascarpone, now that was heavenly. My brother had the pulled pork mango BBQ sandwich which he says is his favorite sandwich now! We also had some Bloody Mary's and Mimosa, the bartender was on his or her A game cause the drinks were perfect! Can't wait till they do bottomless mimosas in couple weeks. See you soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost PerfectTinzerDined on 7/26/2014The food was amazing. I had a Salmon Salad and it did not disappoint. The Malbec was delicious. We went there for a birthday dinner and they accommodated all 12 of us. The only complaint was the construction going on on the outside of the building but I figure that will be fixed soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Zeal 7.26.14kgatthetableDined on 7/26/2014Service was excellent. Noise level was a bit loud but not too bad. Liked the décor and more importantly really liked the food. Had hummus appetizer and Kale salad with shrimp. Would recommend it and look forward to going back.Special Features:
- Best visit yet!joopnightVIPDined on 7/25/2014My wife and I have been to Zeal a few times, but this was our best visit yet. We've never had a bad meal here, but the new menu is great! The chicken and lamb skewers are very good to start. We also had a Thai flat bread pizza that was good, as well as the chicken entrée. Lastly, we finished off with peanut butter brownie and a key lime dessert cup. Everything we had was wonderful, but honestly I would probably pass on the key lime dessert (tasted of cheese and salt, and not much key lime flavor). The brownie was to die for! All in all, however, the meal was excellent, and we will be back again and again. Great neighborhood gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceeastcobbdinerDined on 7/25/2014A friend and I recently had dinner at Zeal after a movie. The décor is hip and modern. The wait staff friendly and helpful. Best of all, the food was outstanding. I rarely order pork when eating out but I'm so glad I tried the stuffed pork tenderloin. It was delicious. Zeal is a welcome addition to East Cobb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food -- great valueOTPFoodieVIPDined on 7/19/2014We had been hesitant to try Zeal due to previous reviews, but we took the plunge on Saturday night, and boy, were we pleasantly surprised! The food was excellent -- an excellent value for the money. Short ribs were succulent and the trout with couscous and golden raisins was spot-on. Lightly crispy, but moist. And served HOT! Salad was fresh, creative and delicious. Love the green tomato croutons! Wish I had saved room for dessert! Thanks, Scott, for noting that we were "first-timers" and for making sure that we were happy. We were! We will be back!Special Features:
- East Cobb Fine DiningEastcobbdiningDined on 7/19/2014Food delicious, wine list appropriate, bar with friends -super comfortable and welcoming. Overall an excellent experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girls Night Out - WIN!ECBerlinFoodieDined on 7/10/2014I chose Zeal for a Girls Night Out on a Thursday. It was busy but not packed. We had a reservation for 7pm but we arrived early and were seated right away. Our waiter was friendly and patient and very attentive. They have a great selection of cocktails, beer and wine. My food was great. I ordered the duck, leek & cranberry flat bread. We all ordered different items and we were all very pleased. There were so many other menu items I would love to try so I will definitely be going back soon.Special Features:
- first visit, will go backMrsLinATLDined on 7/10/2014We had 7 in our group for a business lunch. Our group was seated in a booth, with 5 on the booth side and 2 chairs. I found this a little awkward - thankfully no one in the middle of the 5 needed to excuse themselves. There were plenty of large available tables so not sure why this seating was used. No one ordered appetizers or wine, just from the lunch menu which was of a good size and wide variety. I'd read on their website that this is a farm to table concept, too bad the waiter did not educate us about this (he seemed nervous, perhaps new). Several of us ordered salads, a couple had pasta. Extra dressing was needed for the salads, which we asked for and received. Only one person did not really enjoy their meal (one of the pasta dishes).Special Features:
- Great OTP find!MarieDined on 7/6/2014Booked a table with low expectations and was so pleasantly surprised! From drink recommendation, all the way thru dessert, what a fantastic experience. Could've been in Old 4th Ward, VH, or Westside! So refreshing for OTP Marietta! Decor is hip and the farm to table menu is varied. I had the ahi salad with wasabi vinagrette - amazing! My husband had the bourbon burger and zucchini fries which ranked right up with a Vortex or Highland tap burger. The fried green tomato app was really good as well. We will be back often.Special Features:
- 4th of July faux pasdineoftenVIPDined on 7/4/2014Made a reservation for 7:00 PM. Sat at the bar-fun bartenders. We got to the table by 7:15 PM. The server was in a big rush. He immediately asked us what we wanted to eat and drink. We asked for a few minutes. We ordered wine and were then told the kitchen is closing in 10 minutes We ordered some appetizers and then the meal. When the meal came it was cold. Most likely they cooked it and closed the kitchen and it sat until we were ready. My advice to this restaurant: Don't open on a holiday if you are not going to provide a full service experience. Certainly don't take a reservation if you are going to give the patron one hour to dine. Perhaps this is a good restaurant and we just went on the wrong day. I will never know.Special Features:
- Great as alwaysJamesDined on 7/3/2014We ordered off the new summer menu and it was ever better than before. I had the blue cheese tenderloin with wild mushroom risotto. My wife had the new shrimp and grits with the Tasso cream sauce and it was excellent. We love the new menu. Jim, our server was also great as always. He paired wines with our meals perfectly. We will be returning more often this summer. Great job Zeal !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded ExpectationsLuv2eatoutDined on 6/30/2014Early Sunday night dinner turned into an exceptional experience. Our friends in Marietta recommended us to check out Zeal, we were a bit hesitant because of the yelp reviews but then again it's yelp. Their 4.2 opentable review really stands behind who they are and the experience we had. Apparently, the menu we tried is their new summer menu created by a group of their new chef, very impressed. My wife and I tried a little bit of everything. The Duck Confit flatbread was to die for, the ga trout for $12 was amazing (great value), Fried Green Tomato was fabulous and zesty, and we finished with a New York Strip ($27 is a great prices considering the beef program they use. the server explained it to us very well). Cant wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My New Fave PlaceJLikesFoodDined on 6/28/2014Don't let the shopping strip facade fool you. This is an awesome restaurant and a great find. We had reservations for 8 Whilewe waited at the bar for our friends to arrive and the best bartender, Jean, took care of us. He made a great drink called the East Cobb Harvest. What a wonderful concoction of Basil, cucumber and vodka. After we all hung at the bar for a bit we made our way to the table and had awesome food. We ordered apps to share - Calamari, Onion Rings, Duck Poutine..all great. The main meals were great too, I loved my Shrimp and Grits, and the Kale Salad and burgers were a hit with my friends, Tenderloin got gobbled up, and my husband stole my side of Truffel Mac and Cheese....after eating his. I would definately go back!Special Features:
- Terrific East Cobb Gem!ecobbfoodieVIPDined on 6/28/2014I have been coming to Zeal for awhile and absolutely love the bar scene. Recently learned that there was a chef change and the resulting menu is excellent! The favorites are still there ( like the ravioli), but the new additions are unique, flavorful, and excellently prepared. The fish tacos and the Goat cheese cheesecake are unbelievably tasty treats! The staff (wait staff and bar) are engaging, fun, but, most importantly, truly care about the customer's experience. Gene, the bartender, can make anything and seems to enjoy coming up with new concoctions to please the customer's taste-- the handcrafted cocktails are his unique recipes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RU1982Dined on 6/21/2014We enjoyed Meeting our waiter Jim who was al over us . Jake the assistant manager also introduced himself and made sure everything was good with our meal twice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than expectedMagsDined on 6/21/2014Zeal has received less than stellar reviews so I was very hesitant to try it. My friends and I were pleasantly surprised. We all ordered something different, and although no one raved about theirs, we all were relieved our hard earned $$ was not wasted. The look of the restaurant is very impressive in a casual sort of way. The wait staff not the most experienced, but I would definitely recommend Zeal if you live in E Cobb and want an alternative to the more pricey places like Seed and Common Quarter. They have a great outdoor area for cocktails that no one was using and it was a nice evening. Granted, it is on a parking lot, but they have it fixed up nice enough you can overlook that. I say try it - you may be surprised like we were.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great New SpotepicurianDined on 6/21/2014Zeal is a great new addition to the area. I especially like the option for small plates. The food was terrific, the service was great and the atmosphere relaxing.Special Features:
- Great East Cobb Spot!BotkokingVIPDined on 6/20/2014Zeal is one of those places where visiting one time is not enough. The menu is so diverse and interesting. The atmosphere is comfortable and unique. The new summer menu is coming out very soon and I look forward to trying out the new lighter fare. This is a fantastic lunch spot with great daily specials. I have not tried the Sunday brunch but heard it was very nice. The staff at Zeal is what makes this place so special. They are attentive, friendly, open to suggestions, and concerned that you have a great experience. I look forward to my next visit to Zeal Modern Eatery.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and service were wonderfulShellyDined on 6/19/2014I would def recommend this restaurant. We enjoyed a delightful meal there. A neighborhood gem!Special Features:
- lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/13/2014My friend and I both had the Applewood Club salad. It was delicious! Just the right amount! Our server, Gary mentioned they had homemade sangria which each had a glass. Quite refreshing. I mentioned it was her birthday and he let her choose her special dessert! This never happens! Most places have a pat dessert whether you like it or not. Very nice and the cheesecake was yummy! He also gave her his version of a "Hallmark" birthday card. Very sweet! This was her first time and my second time. Much better, lots of tweeks had been made from when they first opened. Yay!! I will certainly return and suggest it to others!Special Features:
- Awesome Food & ServicdJonathanGDined on 6/8/2014In the middle of East Cobb. Barbara took good care of us. The kitchen overcooked the brussel sprouts and quickly remedied it without complaint. They even provided a complimentary dessert, the goat cheese and honey cheesecake. My wife commented that it was the best thing she ever ate. Truly impressive. Be sure to try the mac-n-cheese and the collard greens. Phenomenal! Will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- local gem!letsgooutDined on 6/6/2014Service was unbelievable and food was just as good. Liked the apple and cinnamon hush puppies! Signature cocktail was creative and good. So nice to have a restaurant in the neighborhood that is different and well priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.