100 W. Michigan Ave.
Kalamazoo, MI 49007Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.zazios.com/
- Phone: 2693842650x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thusday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: John Korycki
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Autumn Fromm 269-384-2650x
- Special Events: Hosting an event? Our private dining room is perfect for business meetings, rehearsal dinners, family events, or an evening out with a large group of friends up to 30 people. We can also host your lunchtime event. Our atmosphere is more comfortable than a board room and the unique decor will impress your guests.
A word from Zazios
Welcome to ZAZIOS where the food is the entertainment!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Zazios - Best Restaurants in Kalamazoo ›
Zazios reviews from OpenTable diners
36 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (30)fit for foodies (25)notable wine list (17)romantic (17)good for groups (14)hot spot (7)great for outdoor dining (6)neighborhood gem (6)kid-friendly (5)vibrant bar scene (4)scenic view (2)late-night find (2)Show More
- GreatSordeoDined on 10/9/2014Took a trip up north and found this gem for date night and the food was amazing along with the atmosphere. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MattVIPDined on 9/28/2014I went to this restaurant since it was one of the higher rated on open table. Overall it was pretty good and I was satisfied.
- MangiabeneDined on 9/21/2014We always enjoy this venue. It's lively with good service. However, at times the food is I consistent , both in how it is plated and the portionsSpecial Features:
- Downhill run!MaryDined on 9/20/2014We can no longer recommend this restaurant. It has become intolerably noisy with service to many groups of ten people or more. Our recent dinner was not served well in that we did not receive the flat bread which we requested, the service overall was very slow, and some of the food was barely passable in terms of preparation, seasoning, and ingredients. The price remains relatively high and the quality is now relatively low. We do not look forward to returning until the restaurant improves.
- LOVE this place!wickedfae082Dined on 9/19/2014Last Friday my husband and I made reservations to Zazio's to celebrate our wedding day. We arrived 20 minutes early but did not wait for a table, even though it was Friday night. We were seated by the window where we had a view of the Kalamazoo Mall walkway. Our server was amazing and very helpful in answering questions and making suggestions. The food, fantastic! Everyone made it a point to stop and say congratulations, including the manager. Most people would have been thrown off by the casual atmosphere and the music; however, its right up our alley since we don't exactly dress in suits and wedding dresses with pockets every day. Overall a great way to end a very special day for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and atmospheredown2smashDined on 9/16/2014The food was amazing and the atmosphere was excellent. The only regrets I have are 1: not specifying that I wanted the "appetizer portion" of the two pasta meals that I had ordered (our waiter, Josh, did not even ask us what size we wanted. I had just assumed he knew we would want the smaller portion because we had already had soup, salad, bread and veggies) and 2: when I received my pasta in a to-go box, there was LITERALLY not even HALF of what I had left to be boxed up. No offense, but if I am going to be spending $20 for the FULL sized dish ordered, I am going to want ALL of my leftovers. The least they could have done would be to give me all of my leftover pasta in two to-go boxes. I was basically tricked paying $20 for a $14 meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lead Contender in Kzoo Dining SpotsToonVIPDined on 9/2/2014Dined here for the second time, and again found it to be top notch. We were very expertly served by Katie, who knew the menu entrees and their key ingredients, and the wines (in some detail). It was a Tuesday evening, on the early side, and so the dining room was less than half full. We were visited by the executive chef to ensure all was to our liking. Zazio's offers a dining bar, from which you will have an explanation of your meal as it is being prepared. Kalamazoo has only a few higher end dining opportunities, and Zazio's has a rightful place on that short roster. One of very few places with fresh, imaginative seafood offerings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BAJ0602VIPDined on 8/29/2014Zazios is always a great choice when we visit Kalamazoo. My meal was excellent, server was not over bearing as we caught up with our friends prior to ordering. Always a good solid choice for a nice meal, and the chefs table is a great option for foodies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- just amazinggermangirlDined on 8/9/2014The food was really delicious. They have amazing pasta. It was probably the closest you can get to real Italian food in Michigan. Really good. They waitress was super nice and friendly. The cocktails were good too. They have a big variety of different vines. Overall it was a great decision to go there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Dining experienceScotland219Dined on 8/6/2014We had a great dining experience here. We had personalized attention from the head chef and the server was the best we ever had. The food was fantastic and I love the atmosphere in Zazios. Needless to say that we will be back again to dine here next time we are in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- zaziosFoodcritic2Dined on 8/1/2014A truly great Italian restaurant. Great food, great atmosphere, great service. The Chief's Table is highly recommended. Don't miss the dinning experience offered here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and Great Service!foodienerdVIPDined on 7/27/2014This was my second visit to Zazio's. I traveled to Kalamazoo for the first time last year and went back a second time just this weekend. I chose to visit this restaurant again while in town. I chose seafood and went with their wine pairing. The white fish was cooked perfectly! I was not wild about the scallops but that was more personal preference. I was also not excited about the boiled fingerlings; when I cook fingerlings, I roast them to bring out their nice flavors, boiling does nothing for me. I am gluten free and these guys went out of their way to assist and ensure I had a great meal, hence the extra star. I would go back and try something new again, if ever in Kalamazoo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girls nightFoodLoverDined on 7/25/2014Zazios has been my favorite restaurant since my first dining experience there, and last night proved why to my best friend. Zazios is always energetic and exciting the minute you walk in and are greeted by the hosts. When we were sat our waitress, Katie, brought us bread as well as hummus and olive tapenade spreads. There were two kinds of bread in the basket, and I have to admit I didn't like the hard bread with sesame seeds on it- but the other bread was great! We split the wonderful truffle fries for an appetizer, which are full of flavor. I had the prosciutto and mushroom pasta and my friend had the spinach ravioli- both delicious. We had Semifredo for dessert and they wrote "cheers to girls night" on our plates in chocolate sauce!Special Features:
- Nice dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/8/2014We went to Zazios for our anniversary. They were out of the porterhouse steak that my husband ordered, but they got one from Websters for him. He said it was just OK. I had the seafood grill, which was absolutely delicious - especially the whitefish and scallops. It was a relatively small portion. We both had the beet and goat cheese salad, which was a little disappointing. It was supposed to have beets, goat cheese, and hazelnuts. I had 2 hazelnuts on mine, and the beets tasted like they came from a can, and the cheese was not goat cheese but feta cheese. If it had fresh roasted beets, goat cheese, and more hazelnuts, it would be fantastic. We had the panna cotta, which was just OK - the peaches on it were so hard couldn't cut them.Special Features:
- The following 311 reviews are from the Zazios reviews archive.
- Beyond ExpectationsMomannDined on 6/24/2014I was there once before, great food, service, atmosphere. Last time a celebration, this the time the same. The Chef came out to greet us both times, and was extremely happy for our events and to have us in their restaurant to celebrate. This last time, my Ph.D. graduation, chef surprised me with a choc. WOW dessert, with in choc sauce "Congrats!". Very, very special.....Special Features:
- hopelessDined on 6/14/2014The food never disappoints and the staff is so friendly.Special Features:
- Very good...but not greatDannyDined on 6/13/2014I have been to Zazios several times and usually enjoy everyrhing. Tonight was a bit different. First off, the waitress asked if we wanted soup or salad but failed to mention that it was an extra charge. Second, my ribeye was cooked beautifully but was a little underseasoned. Quite surprised by that one. The dessert was the saving grace as the expresso gelatto was fantastic. I would still go back but may stay away from regular service and save up for the chef's table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- just okpastalovers1244Dined on 6/6/2014Not a place to go when you are really hungry. Small portionsSpecial Features:
- 35th AnniversarymichimanDined on 6/2/2014I made reservations at Zazios for my 35th wedding anniversary. My wife and I, along with another couple, were treated to a very enjoyable evening. Our server was the best and the food was very delicious. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for a special and unique dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/16/2014Excellent service. Katie and Erin are wonderful wait staff!! Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid!MikeyBDined on 5/14/2014This place was very good. From start to finish, I was surprised by the quality of the food and depth of the wine list. I would definitely recommend this place to anyone in the mood for a good meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a grand slamWallyDined on 5/11/2014No one in our party of five had ever been to Zazios. Two daughters, two sons-in-law and "mom" had dinner on Mother's Day and found everything about it marvelous. Many compliments on the food were exchanged and our waitress was simply incredible. Added to these was the sense that while plenty of others were dining as well, we didn't feel crowded and could carry on our own conversation. Thank you for a great evening out!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pasta or wet noodles?2die4VIPDined on 5/11/2014The calamari was delicious, the cheese plate quite good, although nothing to put it on. It needed crackers. The crab and pasta was mediocre primarily because the pasta was way over cooked. That is unacceptable for an Italian restaurant. It has been much better in the past. The service was excellent.Special Features:
- Great Service but food not so greatOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/11/2014Food tasted dry and flat. I ordered something called gnochi with Duck Ragu. The actual plate was gnochi with no sauce that tasted just as simple as any pasta that you would boil in your kitchen. They had added pulled duck on top of the gnochi again with a very simple taste. I excpected a more flavorful pasta plate. Bread and margarita pizza was good.
- A little disappointedFrequentDinerDined on 5/11/2014Based on numerous recommendations, we decided to give Zazios a try on Mothers Day. When they asked our kids what they wanted to drink with their kids meal, they asked if they had root beer - answer yes - then brought it in bottles that were not included with their meal (waitress did remove this from the bill when asked). While it was not super busy, it took 30 minutes to get a beer ordered. The Food itself was flavorless and sadly, quite disappointing. 2 drinks, 2 kids meals, Scallop appetizer w/ side of Asparagus and an open face omelette - Cost $92 with tip (which was added at 18% even though service did NOT warrant such a tip). Not Impressed at all and not sure will ever try it again.
- One of the best in Kzoomanger123VIPDined on 5/7/2014Hotel restaurants are often formulaic. Zazios is anything but. It is one of the best restaurants in the area.Special Features:
- PriceyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/4/2014The portions are small and pricey. The broccoli soup was too bitter, the spaghetti nero with shrimp were ok (but the small size portion only had a handful of spaghettis), the chocolate & cherry mousse was the best part of my evening!Special Features:
- House SaladKateDined on 5/4/2014Knowing our foursome was eating Sunday "dinner" I wish our waitress would have been more cognizant of portion sizes. We ladies ordered four House Salads as entrees with various proteins added and the portions we received were nowhere NEAR entree worthy. And the salad mix itself was far from impressive. A few leafy greens, a single tomato wedge and nothing else. Really?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TitleGirlDined on 5/3/2014Waited over on hour for our food then didn't have enough time to eat it. Portions are ridiculously small for how much they costSpecial Features:
- Romantic Intimate Dinnerdebbyk71Dined on 4/26/2014The food was spectacular. We had the spinach ravioli and the whitefish. My only complaint was that we dined early (5:00) and there were only a couple tables full. We were seated right next to the Chef's Table area and a large group was gathering for a dinner reservation there. The group congregated right next to our table standing, talking, and mulling around. So much for our intimate dinner. If the restaurant had been packed it would have been fine but no one was there so I think we should have been seated away from them so we could enjoy our meal. Our first time there, we will definitely be back but will request a table away from the chef's table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful for a quiet celebrationDocBobDined on 4/24/2014Impeccable service, great food, wonderful presentation. Quiet with lots of room between tables; able to handle large and small parties. Gluten free no problem. Creative Italian menu. We have enjoyed the Chef's table with a cooking demonstration in the past, but this time selected a private table for a more intimate dinner. The scallop dinner and the duck dinner were both great. The wine list is limited to US and Italian wines, but there is a wide selection by glass or bottle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall, a great experienceFoodyDined on 4/12/2014Had a large party [10 plus baby], and our waitress was very attentive and accommodating. Half the table ordered the short ribs, which were delicious and very generously portioned. Someone ordered the mixed grill. The scallops and trout were very well-prepared, but the shrimp was very noticeably not fresh. It was mushy, and had a spoiled aftertaste. I'm surprised shrimp like that was ever served. Otherwise, everything else was delicious. Halibut special should be a permanent menu item. Will definitely be returning, but more than likely not ordering the mixed grill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place!foodiewhotravelsDined on 4/11/2014I was in town visiting my elderly mother and took her out for a special dinner. They were very accommodating -- she is on a gluten free diet, and provided wonderful service. The food was excellent. It's wonderful to have such a great restaurant in Kalamazoo. I highly recommend.Special Features:
- GreatNickVIPDined on 3/29/2014This is a restaurant worth going out of your way for. Will go back when in Kalamazoo. Didn't know about it until it was too late, but the chef's table looks like a great idea, although a little pricey.Special Features:
- Our AnniversaryPlayerandwifeDined on 3/29/2014This is definitely a gem in Kalamazoo. The food is excellent and the atmosphere cosy. No blaring music no noise of other customers conversations, even though the restaurant was full. The chef was giving a demonstration to a group in that corner and it was fun to watch what he was making although vicariously. A very nice place for that special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Italian FoodFoodie20Dined on 3/29/2014Zazio's is one of our favorite Italian restaurants in town. They change up their menu with the seasons so you can always try something different. The food is always outstanding and the service is top notch. Will definitely return as often as possible.Special Features:
- True GemnicnacDined on 3/28/2014Traveling to large cities like Chicago used to be the standard to get great cuisine. Now we have this local gem and I couldn't be happier! Great sharing orders of smaller sizes eliminates the need to pick just one!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- zaziosJJKZODined on 3/22/2014Food was very good and the service was exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gluten-free GemCyndiLeeDined on 3/17/2014Who knew in Kalamazoo they have gluten free dining too... Fit for a foodie with knowledge and service to satisfy the most paranoid celiac (gluten free) patron. You are presented with a full - laminated including pricing - gluten free menu so you feel like a real person and asked if you would like crudité as a replacement for bread this is for starters. The menu includes a full range of entrees and the pasta dishes are served with your choice or rice or corn pasta - I had the traditional bolognaise sauce with rice pasta and it was excellent. Fresh and local ingredients where possible are used. Beet salad was excellent as well and dressed to perfection. To the chef, managers and staff - thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and atmosphere!Soixante97Dined on 3/13/2014Fun place to go for an excellent meal, with great service - we even had the chef serve us our meals this time! Perfect venue for groups and always an enjoyable experience.Special Features: