941 Cole Street
San Francisco, CA 94117Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.zaziesf.com/
- Phone: (415) 564-5332
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch Daily: 8:00am - 2:00pm; Nightly Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French, Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Jennifer Piallat
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our heated garden patio is a lovely setting for rehearsal dinners, baby showers, birthdays, and anniversaries. We can seat up to 37 people on the patio.
- Private Party Contact: Jennifer Piallat 4155645332x
- Special Events: Zazie is an excellent place for rehearsal dinners, graduations, birthdays, and baby showers! Please see our website for details on hosting a special event at Zazie.
A word from Zazie
Zazie is a neighborhood French bistro in Cole Valley specializing in the country cooking of Southern France. The well heated garden patio is a delightful place to enjoy a casual, relaxed meal with friends and family. Our menu is seasonal, featuring slow braised rabbit, cassoulet, grilled fresh fish, and a variety of vegetarian options. Zazie invites dog lovers to bring their pup to dinner on the patio on Monday nights (weather permitting) and take $10 off any bottle of wine on our list. Tuesday nights are no corkage nights; bring as many bottles as you can gracefully handle! We are famous for our American style brunch seven days/ week as well, although reservations are not accepted for brunch.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Zazie reviews from OpenTable diners
6 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (6)great for outdoor dining (5)romantic (5)fit for foodies (4)special occasion (3)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- Still on my listjraoulDined on 11/17/2014I've been going to Zazie for years for its fine take on French bistro food -- onion soup, bouillabaisse, coq au vin, steak frites, etc. Then we got a dog and discovered their Monday night doggie special -- the patio is a dog-friendly zone, and they sweeten the deal with dog treats and ten bucks off on wine. This past Monday a number of things seemed just a little off -- the waiter, always a little frazzled, was a little more frazzled than usual; the salad seemed to be missing fennel and dressing; the dessert was a little bland... The interesting thing is: we still had a lovely time. Afterwards we compared notes and found we were both a little disappointed with our lackluster entrees, but that didn't interfere with our enjoyment at all. It's just a real nice place, and can survive an off night. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 493 reviews are from the Zazie reviews archive.
- Dogs welcomeharpersdadDined on 5/26/2014A great spot on Monday nights when dogs are welcome for friendly patio dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chefbunny98Dined on 5/20/2014Very impressed with the food here Very friendly upon arrival and even though we were early we did not have to wait for a tableSpecial Features:
- One of my favoritesDiner22Dined on 5/15/2014Waiter was wonderful....helpful, didn't rush us, professional. Food was amazing as always. Excellent value as well. This is one of my favorite restaurants.Special Features:
- Favorite go to spotOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/13/2014I love this restaurant and I always come back because it's so close to me. The food is fantastic, and the ambiance is simply wonderful. This is my favorite place to take my out of town visitors.Special Features:
- Great for an early dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/11/2014Took my mom there for mother's day. Decided that brunch would be too much of a circus, so we settled on an early dinner instead. We got the window booth by the front door, which can be crazy if the place is crowded (people waiting for tables), but was great at 5:00pm. Shared a bottle of wine...I had the hanger steak, and my parents had the duck (dad) and lamb tagine (mom). We also split a side of mac & cheese. I tried each dish and I'll probably get the duck when I go back again. We skipped dessert and I took them to The Ice Cream Bar down the street.Special Features:
- EnjoyableGWIPDined on 5/10/2014We arrived 30 min early for our reservation at 7. Were greeted promptly at the door and were seated right away. We enjoyed our dinner and our server was attentive. When we left there were several people waiting outside for a table.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood restaurant!kacoxDined on 5/5/2014We had outstanding service and delicious meals. This is our favorite place in SF.Special Features:
- Always great foodLovefoodDined on 4/30/2014We always come here for special occasions as the food is always delicious. Service can be hit or miss, but wouldn't really stop me going to a restaurant if the possible is exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best patio dining!BuffasiannDined on 4/29/2014On a warm SF night, nothing beats the charming patio space for a great meal with friends. And, it's also my go-to for a first date...you will impress.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- missmDined on 4/28/2014I adore Zazie - you can never go wrong here. It can be crowded, we like to go at off times for a leisurely mealSpecial Features:
- Amazing Food, Service, and AmbiancecoreyannderDined on 4/26/2014I went to Zazie's for brunch on a Sunday (Easter) as well as for dinner on a Saturday night. On Easter I did not have reservations. My party of three got there around 9:15 and we were seated around 10:30. The tables outside the front of the restaurant are first come, first serve, however, so if you want to hover then you might get a table sooner! We were seated in the adorable backyard (away from the wind, with umbrellas to block the sun). The food was amazing- I had the Greek egg scramble which had the freshest feta cheese. I also shared french toast (best I've ever had!) and we partook in the mimosas (you can choose your juice and we chose grapefruit- would not choose again because after food it was very bitter). Overall, it was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Zazie's hamburgersDiner22Dined on 4/21/2014I have been to this wonderful restaurant several times and love the food but never ordered a hamburger before. I had one of the best hamburgers I have ever had in my lifetime! The meat was top quality and flavorful, the bun a delicious french roll. Served with a plentiful and delicious green salad with perfect dressing. Loved it and can't wait to go back for a repeat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TastyShrilurkDined on 4/12/2014Our meal was well executed! We particularly liked the beet arugula salad, chicken liver brandy pate, fettuccini portabella mushroom dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Zazie is a gemKatieNDined on 4/3/2014Great for good food, cozy ambiance, great service. Quiet enough to hold a conversation but bustling and fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Mussels and SalmondotesDined on 4/1/2014We split the amazing mussels. Great sauce to dip your bread in afterwords. I had the Pork Chop with Pears. Very good, Very sweet. My date had some amazing salmon. Very good value. Could pay way more for this meal. Fantastic meal overall. Great service.Special Features:
- fantastic meal at Zazie!HappyEaterDined on 4/1/2014Honestly the best overall meal I've had since moving to the bay area a year ago. Especially the staff, who exude the perfect mix of friendly, knowledgeable and honest. Nothing stuffy about this place, just fantastic food in an intimate, friendly atmosphere. I had the duck, my date had the polenta, and we started with the cheese plate. All very great--AND very filling with good size portions, which can be rare at French places. And Tuesday is BYO with no corking fee, which means that the actual meal was an exceptionally reasonable $60ish dollars for the two of us. As a guy who spent 8 years in Philly, a city where established neighborhood spots are the norm, this place was a throwback in all the right ways.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still Quite FineOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/29/2014We were a group of three who hadn't been to Zazie's in quite some time. We were pleased with our return. A very nice menu and a good fixed price menu available all evening. We started with a salad, onion soup and the chicken liver pate; only the salad was a bit of a disappointment. Trout, hamburger and the fish soup were our mains; we were happy. There is a good selection of desserts and good coffee. The wine list is ample and well priced. We went in at 5:30 p.m. and noticed that virtually every table was reserved. It can get noisy but our little table for three seemed out of the din. The price was modest especially given the value. Parking is a challenge and Muni riders close to the "N" Metro line can find that a better choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Zazie..loved it!FilomenaDined on 3/22/2014Have heard about Zazie for ages and never quite believed all the hype until I went there for dinner with a few friends. It was fabulous. We sat outside in the beautiful garden and enjoyed a lovely dinner. I had the polenta cakes, which were perfect. The service is excellent. My party arrived a bit late and they did not make me wait. They seated me right away in the beautiful garden and brought me a glass of wine as I waited for friends to park and rush over. So dignified and kind. The price-fixe is a great deal. Can't wait to return. Strongly recommend.Special Features:
- Neighbor Gem Worth a VisitSpoonsfVIPDined on 3/21/2014Dining at Zazie feels like dining in a bsitro in Paris. It has a cozy inviting feel to it. The food is excellent. Our starters of onion soup and beet salad were wonderful. The entrees- pork chop, mushroom ravioli with truffles, and the rabbit were all excellent. Both the chop and the rabbit were very moist and flavorful. For dessert we shared the bread pudding which was also excellent. The service was friendly and efficient. Will definitely go back for dinner. One side note my previous visit to Zazie for Sunday brunch was the complete opposite experience. The menu descriptions were much better than the actual food. Not worth the hour or more wait.Special Features:
- Our neighborhood favoriteBillOVIPDined on 3/17/2014When someone is visiting us, Zazie is our default choice. Great service, good food and friendly ambiance. We know the wait staff by heart and Monday dog night is a regular for us. You can't go wrong with Zazie and their prices won't break your budget.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love Zazie!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/1/2014The experience of Zazie is one of a neighborhood gem, with great food- rustic French, simple yet delicious, delightful service, and friendly ambiance. It is a bistro cafe, where it can be casual or a bit dressed up. I felt very welcomed, and enjoyed it very much. I have been there for brunch and dinner, and both are lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a treasure!TerriVIPDined on 2/22/2014Visited her as we saw this restaurant featured on check please Bay Area. Everything was great! We were a table of 6 so we tried many things on the menu. If we had to rank the dishes we would choose the pork chop with red cabbage and poached pear. Amazing! This followed by the mushroom truffle ravioli. There wasn't one fish that we wouldn't order again...even the hamburger was a winner! Service was exceptional! Only thing that was a downer is the parking in the area. Give yourself time to find a place. ChArming place. We will go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't Miss It!GinnyDined on 2/22/2014My husband and I are foodies and ate our way through San Francisco, with the help of prior experience, yelp, friends and a sales associate at the Union Square shave shop. We ran into a friend after 30 years and although our reservation on a Saturday was for 2, I explained and they immediately found us a perfect spot outside (which we preferred anyway). They allowed us to linger and enjoy apertifs and appetizer (cheese plate - delightful), wine, entrees and dessert. The chocolate dessert topped with roasted marshmallows was chocolate heaven - and perfect for 3-4 people at least. I had the salmon and the combo of flavors and textures made my mouth sing. All in all, I would return in a heartbeat (even having to fly there from OKC!).Special Features:
- absolute gemverneDined on 2/14/2014Great food and service at this boutique french restaurant in the charming Cole Valley neighborhood. Convenient to the N train and bus routes; the food was excellent, the preperation and presentation superb and the service without par. We were there for our anniversary on an extremely busy holiday yet the owner and wait-staff were quick, courteous and caring. Huge thumbs up!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceyellowmamDined on 2/14/2014Went here for Valentine's Day dinner. Food was amazing and the staff was extremely attractive. Really enjoyed the night. Outdoor patio is indeed well heated.Special Features:
- Great Neighborhood RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/11/2014I am fortunate to live around the corner from Zazie's so I take friends who are in town or even those who live here. I often go for lunch although it is very crowded. Everyone I take is impressed with both food and ambiance. I wish there were more restaurants like Zazie's in the city… The young yuppies can be a bit much with their "entitled" attitudes but unfortunately that is becoming prevalent in the city now.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVED IT!HermansDined on 2/10/2014We held a family reunion there last night and were so impressed with every aspect of Zazie. The menu was so diverse and interesting that it took us all forever just to decide what to have! All 8 of us agreed that the food was excellent ~ we will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I had the prix fixe whichOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 2/8/2014I had the prix fixe which was good for $27. The lentil soup was a bit peppery. The fish was good, but the portion was small. The creme brulee was just ok.
- Great food and serviceMooseVIPDined on 2/8/2014The service is warm and welcoming. Not a 'Foodie' so I couldn't comment on 'Fit for Foodies'. We've loved the food at Zazie each time and have brought friends their for a nice evening out. Great staff and didn't feel rushed, very relaxing. We had a charming waitress who chatted with us a little but didn't intrude. Not a large wine selection but we find something we like each time.Special Features:
- Yum!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/4/2014The food was awesome and the service even better. I went there hungry and left stuffed and with a big smile. The staff was super friendly and were very helpful. I'm definitely going back!!!Special Features:
- The restaurant did not havememeDined on 1/31/2014The restaurant did not have our Open Table reservation. They did not make us wait very long though. The rest of the experience after we got seated was very nice and we had a nice time. Food was very good.Special Features:
- A wonderful dinner!nobhilldinerDined on 1/28/2014I've been to Zazie numerous times for brunch (awesome), but this was my first dinner experience. We celebrated a friend's special occasion with a small group (6) on the garden patio. The dinner was exceptional (my trout was prepared perfectly and the portion was more than generous). The service was phenomenal. When we told our server about the special occasion, he brought us out a champagne toast which was so lovely. The garden patio is beyond charming and it's heated, making for the perfect evening. Thank you SO much Zazie!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tuesday DinnerBryndleDined on 1/28/2014Our waiter was the best ever, efficient, cordial, alert, even remembered my birthday with a candle on the amazing Creme Brulee. Compliments to the chef as well. Very sophisticated and authentically French cuisine. We dined in the rear open air garden with candles and heat lamps. Parking can be tough but we went around 6 pm and found a meter spot. across the street.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dog night at ZazieJaneSDined on 1/27/2014Monday night on the patio - great lighting, lovely flowers, warm January evening, and a collection of cute and well behaved dogs. First course, dog treats. The waitstaff all seem to be dog lovers, and bringing a dog gets you $10 off a bottle of wine. Food was great. This is a wonderful little neighborhood restaurant.Special Features:
- Quaint French BistrosprestonDined on 1/26/2014A great dining experience. The only disappointment was they were out of the French Onion soup which we had selected to try before we even arrived. Great to go on a Sunday evening as I think it was less crowded than normal. We have tried to go for Sunday brunch but the wait was over an hour.Special Features:
- GreatsantojulianDined on 1/25/2014Great food, great service, great ambiance, they are very nice even for a saturday, they are busy but they let you know you are welcome and they were taking care of clients waiting for a table. I like it and it's not my first time there !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YUMJohnDined on 1/25/2014This was my first time there with friends from work and everything was GREAT! Our waitress was superb and French and very attentive to our group even though the Chef got burned in the kitchen that night and things slowed down for a bit. Everything we ordered was yummy.....just like Paris. You MUST go to this place and often.Special Features:
- My Birthday DinnerKundancerDined on 1/19/2014I have been coming to Zazie for over a decade, for dinner, brunch, & lunch. You always deliver & I was impressed that they could accommodate my party of 8! Thanks for menu suggestions, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!MichelleDined on 1/15/2014Great French Bistro with delicious food and wonderful service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.