701 9th St NW
Washington, DC 20001Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.zaytinya.com/
- Phone: 2026380800x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday and Monday: 11:30 am to 10:00 pm
Tuesday–Thursday: 11:30 am to 11:00 pm
Friday and Saturday: 11:30 am to Midnight
Brunch:Saturday & Sunday 11:30 am until 3:00 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Turkish, Greek
- Executive Chef: Executive Chef José Andrés; Zaytinya Head Chef, Michael Costa
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering on a whole new level José Andrés Catering elevates catering and event planning to new heights in the Washington, DC area and beyond. Now you can experience the inspired creations of celebrated chef José Andrés at your own party or venue. Visit us for more information at www.joseandrescatering.com, or call us at (301) 913-0003.
- Private Party Facilities: Zaytinya is the perfect place for your next event. We have a number of large spaces, intimate coves, and dramatic communal tables to accommodate any size and type of event or group dining big or small. ,
- Private Party Contact: Events@zaytinya.com 2026380202x
- Special Events: Please visit our website and sign up for our mailing list to receive the latest information and updates on special events at Zaytinya
A word from Zaytinya
Under the direction of renowned chef José Andrés, Zaytinya offers an innovative mezze menu inspired by Turkish, Greek and Lebanese cuisines served up in a sleek and modern setting. Shared small plates, creative cocktails and unique Mediterranean wines make this spot one of DC’s top dining destinations.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMediterranean
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Zaytinya - Best Restaurants in Penn Quarter ›
Zaytinya reviews from OpenTable diners
1340 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (961)special occasion (584)good for groups (556)hot spot (502)great for outdoor dining (490)great for lunch (380)neighborhood gem (305)vibrant bar scene (299)romantic (249)notable wine list (214)great for brunch (152)late-night find (114)kid-friendly (79)scenic view (52)Show More
- Noise alert!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014In our area (upstairs in the corner) the noise level was too high until the restaurant emptied a little. This made it difficult for our party of 6 people to converse. However, we thoroughly enjoyed the food and the ambiance, the service was friendly and efficient.Special Features:
- First night in DCOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/14/2014Sunday night, a great buzz, very busy for such a large restaurant with great food and a friendly team.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for memorable mealsccbikeDined on 9/14/2014Great variety of textures and tastes of the food. Appropriately attentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still going strong!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/13/2014Years ago we would go here while we were still young and dating and into the single life. Now we are married with kids and it had been years since we've gone. We went for our 10 year anniversary and it's still as good as back in the day. The service was attentive, food was still amazing! You can see that they are still going strong because the line was long for walk-ins and every table was filled. We had a reservation and were seated right away. Still our go to and favorite restaurant of all time!Special Features:
- Amazing!MichelleDined on 9/13/2014Hands down the BEST experience my fiancé and I have ever had. Our server, Chouaib, was extremely helpful and personable! We each did the chef's tasting experience and the beverage experience. I couldn't have made better choices myself! The goat cheese, pine nut, and honey spread was delicious! Loved the brussel sprouts and mushrooms. The flat bread they sent out with cheese, egg, and (local!) truffles was go good! The steak special was cooked perfectly and so flavorful! My absolute favorite was a lamb stuffed egg roll type dish! And that's just to make a few of the dishes! HOLY MOLY! I cannot rave about this restaurant any louder! We will be back, if only to eat here! Thank you Zaytinya! You were the cherry on top of a great vacation!Special Features:
- Saturday night at ZatinyaOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/13/2014Zatinya is an Eastern Mediterranean (Greece, Turkey, Lebanon) mezze (small plate) member of the Jose Andres empire. Very busy and loud, at least on Saturday. Excellent choices. Recommend the truffle and egg flatbread (a nightly special), the pork sausage (loukaniko) and the shrimp dish (garides me anitho) which is not-to-be-missed. Lamb behar, keftedes and octopus were all good but not especially unique. It's difficult but worthwhile to save room for dessert (most mezze are generous portions). Wine list is all from E. Mediterranean, especially Greece. A bit pricey for the region, but some nice wines can be found. Not intimate but exciting and lots of fun, as is typical of Andres' locations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bountiful flavorsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/13/2014Unique food offerings with abundant choices. Never expected to try goat but it emerged as one of our groups favorites. They take the small plates venue to its pinnacle.Special Features:
- PickyEaterDined on 9/13/2014The food was above average but not great for the money. The waiter we had was excellent - he was very attentive and paid close attention to my special dietary needs. Great location if you are looking to have dinner near the Verizon center.Special Features:
- An air of sophisticationwellservedDined on 9/13/2014Zaytinya is always a treat. Though it can be noisy during peak hours, it is a wonderful setting for exploring an interesting Mediterranean menu. A wide variety of small plates offers something for every palate, often exotic, always delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service well preparedJfknvaDined on 9/12/2014The staff is vet attentive and the food well presented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We can't wait to go back!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/12/2014We loved everything about the restaurant! Beautiful space, great food with interesting choices; attentive and helpful service, and fun vibe to the room! Love the small plates and variety - you get to sample many different things. We can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Zaytinia's has only gotten betterDC100Dined on 9/12/2014We have dined here since it first opened and are thrilled to say everything we had was out of this world spectacular. Chicken kabob, both raw & cooked beef "Kibbe", Baba Ganooj, charred cauliflower & grilled Bronzino ( Mediterranean Sea Bass ) & apricot yogurt dessert !Special Features:
- Good, but had a few kinks.JillVIPDined on 9/12/2014My husband and I love Mediterranean food, and were looking forward to our meal at Zaytina. We decided to try the Chef's Tasting Menu for a different experience. When asked about it, our server said we should order 2 @ $50 a piece rather than splitting one. However, we're not huge eaters, so there was way too much food with the rather large "tastings" brought over. The food was good, but we probably would have enjoyed it more if we chose our own plates. We also tried the Beverage Sampler which included a variety of wines and cocktails with the various courses. That turned out to be a great choice as we very much enjoyed the variety! A few kinks were being served luke warm coffee and not getting a new plate right away. Also it was very loud.Special Features:
- Always greatRon3405VIPDined on 9/12/2014I hadn't been to Zaytinya is a while but was so happy I did. Service was very friendly and prompt an the food was great. Had a terrific business lunch sitting outside. And the hot bread with the pomegranate infused oil? Oh my - just perfect. Can't go wrong.Special Features:
- Perfect lunch for out of town guestOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/12/2014Tasty choices on fixed price lunch menu. Friendly and fast service, but lingered over dessert anyway. Fantastic dishes, except for the spanakopita which was good but not over-the-top.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A cacophony of tasty flavoursTolroyDined on 9/11/201412 years old and packed with customers. We ended up ordering 12 dishes small plates for 4 of us. Could have managed with 10. Best flavours / dishes from our point of view were the sauce with the mussels, the Prawn Garides Ma Anitho, Brussels sprouts, Beets were interesting all the others good. Just select your favorite type product. We liked the Rosé, a Greek one called 14-18h. We love eating outside and they have a great outdoor section. I would rate the prices very fair. Nice touch, Michael the Head Chef, did the rounds asking how things were. Thanks all for a great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing flavorsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/11/2014I was blown away by the flavors and service at Zaytinya. Chef Costa was amazing and the wait staff superb. Can't wait to return and enjoy this amazing menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly and lively place.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014I liked Adana Kebab. The taste was close to the original one in Adana Turkey. The food was good in general. I would definitely add Gulluoglu Turkish Baklava and Kunefa and Keskul to the desert menu. The size of each food item could be increased a little more.Also it was a too noisy at times and we could hardly hear each other. Overall our first experience at Zeytinya was enjoyable and we are looking forward to the next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!SSSSVIPDined on 9/10/2014I think the lamb tongue worth a special mention - it's simply amazing! It was soft and melts in the mouth.. yummmSpecial Features:
- FantasticDiningDanVIPDined on 9/10/2014As always a great meal and a great experience! Fantastic!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoodFoodieKevinDined on 9/10/2014I really enjoyed the meal. Lots of items on the menu, skillfully prepared, that I don't usually see at other restaurants. Great place for foodies and for folks with an adventurous palate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food! Great service!PickyEaterDined on 9/9/2014Small plates let you have a variety of flavors. Each is very well prepared. The service is fabulous. Outdoor seating is a bit more quiet than inside- either way the place is lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!fifer777Dined on 9/8/2014Booked in advance and glad we did! Outstandingly busy and opted for the chefs experience and beverage experience - sooo glad we did! Amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/8/2014I ate at Zaytinya for lunch while I was in DC for a conference. I thought the food tasted okay, but it was a little pricey for what it was. I was expecting the food to be a bit more flavorful for having a Mediterranean profile; however, I thought the food tasted a bit bland overall. Having walked by the place at night, I feel like I may enjoy it better for a dinner service.
- always excellentLuvfood23Dined on 9/7/2014Brought one of my friends for a quick bite. He loved all the baskets of bread and had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Inviting patioLuv2exploreVIPDined on 9/7/2014Great menu with mezze of Greek, Turkish, Lebanese dishes including hummus, grilled octopus, souvlaki. The seared sea scallops and brussels sprouts were my favorites (unique flavor in the latter). The lamb leftiko was a bit salty. Enjoyed my rose from the decent wine list - nearly all from Greece. The patio is delightful on a nice sunny day!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambiance, poor food.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014I expected a lot more from a Jose Andres Restaurant. We came for our 2 year anniversary. We've always been fans of Jaleo and Oyamel, figured it was time to try Zaytinya. In the mood for lamb, I asked the server for the best tasting lamb dish-- he offered the Hunkar Begendi. In short- It was not good at all. It looked (and tasted) extremely unappetizing. I asked the waiter how the Fried Calamari was, he responded "okay", turns out it was the best thing we ate. We came to think that the waiter hasn't actually tried a lot of the dishes on the menu. We tried the Shish Taouk(Grilled Chicken Kabobs) good, but heavily seasoned. We also tried the Urfa Biftek (Steak), same response as the chicken, good, but so freaking salty.Special Features:
- YOU MUST GO!UsmaniiiDined on 9/6/2014Zaytinya was absolutely amazing! Starting off with just entering the resteraunt, it provided a welcoming entrance with a friendly staff that got us to our seats in less than 2 minutes! Our waiter was awesome and so attentive while allowing us our space to talk and enjoy our meals! We ordered three entrees and split them and the portions were perfect we left full but not heavy or overstuffed! You must go here atleast once! Such a beautiful experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luvfood2luvmyfood2Dined on 9/6/2014I was disappointed all around. Food while good was nothing special and pricey for the portion size. Place is warehouse, not intimate large and noisy.Special Features:
- Olive Oil Ice Cream WOWSomaDined on 9/6/2014This is a great Mediterranean place with aspects of Turkish, Lebanese, and Greek cuisine with a modern and superbly different twist. Amazingly good and a standout. The food is in small plates and is exceptionally delicious even for Arabic people as like my wife and I. And my wife is an amazing cook! Maybe the only thing I didn't like is that I felt a bit rushed given that the place was full and there were people waiting outside in the rain. But it was nothing that the waiter had said or done either, he was very helpful with choices (right on the button) and polite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Mediterranean FoodamdealbaVIPDined on 9/6/2014One more win for Jose Andres! loved every dish we ordered. Basically, you could probably pick with your eyes closed and you will enjoy every bite. The service was exceptional!Special Features:
- kjksilvsprDined on 9/6/2014My family (parents and older kids) loved our weekend lunch here! We generally like small plates dining. One of us is vegetarian, and Zaytinya's mediterranean menu has so many vegetarian options, much moreso than tapas places. Meat and seafood options are plentiful too, so it's easy to please everyone. Everything was delicious! The service was pleasant, and skilled, in that they had good timing about bringing and clearing different dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good except serviceKM76Dined on 9/5/2014I have been here many times and I will vouch for the food! It is delicious and consistently good. However, I wish I could say the same for the service. The part that really puts me off is the staff at the front desk. It is not one time but few times here that I have encountered very rude front desk staff. They lack basic courtesy of greeting a guest and speaking to them in a polite and pleasant way. Basic things such as eye to eye contact, smile and a polite demeanour is completely lacking in pretty much all the front desk ladies that I have come across here at zaytinya.Special Features:
- deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014Wonderful service and food. Couldn't have picked a better place to go!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Who knew?60mwmDined on 9/5/2014a modern take on Turkish cuisine could be so memorable? We went with the four course chefs selection - highly recommended - the best of the best. Many shared dishes. Everyone was impressed and delighted, including the vegetarian in the group who was accommodated gracefully. Tip - ask for a quiet table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent choiceRunnergirl131Dined on 9/5/2014We had the chef's tasting menu, and it was superb! One of my top ten dining experiences. Will definitely return next time I am in DC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the food, not our waiterOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/5/2014As usual, we loved our food on Friday night at Zaytinia However, we didn't love the ambiance on Friday night. We were brought upstairs and seated with a waiter who was brusk. He was not unprofessional, just not friendly. He knew the menu backwards and forwards so was able to recommend vegan dishes for me, but we had a problem receiving the correct dish. Since it wasn't our usual experience with Zaytinia, we will return. In the past, we've had EXEMPLARY waitstaff that go above and beyond our expectation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!MJAYDined on 9/5/2014Second time here, and just as good as I remeber from the first time. Food was amazing, drinks were great and David our server was fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing everything.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/5/2014highlight were the brussel sprouts. to die for and a must. Lamb was delicious.Special Features:
- A wonderful meal with good friendsj3diningexpDined on 9/5/2014This was my 2nd visit-the first was for dinner, this for Sat lunch. We shared a feast: A light, puffy pita accompanied with dipping olive oil was at our table immediately, a very nice touch. We then started with some very good mainstays (hummus, baba ganoush), followed by our waitress' recommendation for a delicious group of 'signature' vegetable dishes (roasted cauliflower, mixed mushrooms, and roasted brussel sprouts) especially the sprouts which I'm not usually into. Another excellent dish was a mixed beet salad. Zaytinya is a crisp, airy, modern space - highly recommended, especially for vegetarians (our lunch party included a vegan); they also serve a variety of fish and meat dishes, which at dinner previously dinner were quite good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.