701 9th St NW
Washington, DC 20001Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.zaytinya.com/
- Phone: 2026380800x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday and Monday: 11:30 am to 10:00 pm
Tuesday–Thursday: 11:30 am to 11:00 pm
Friday and Saturday: 11:30 am to Midnight
Brunch:Saturday & Sunday 11:30 am until 3:00 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Turkish, Greek
- Executive Chef: Executive Chef José Andrés; Zaytinya Head Chef, Michael Costa
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering on a whole new level José Andrés Catering elevates catering and event planning to new heights in the Washington, DC area and beyond. Now you can experience the inspired creations of celebrated chef José Andrés at your own party or venue. Visit us for more information at www.joseandrescatering.com, or call us at (301) 913-0003.
- Private Party Facilities: Zaytinya is the perfect place for your next event. We have a number of large spaces, intimate coves, and dramatic communal tables to accommodate any size and type of event or group dining big or small. ,
- Private Party Contact: Events@zaytinya.com 2026380202x
- Special Events: Please visit our website and sign up for our mailing list to receive the latest information and updates on special events at Zaytinya
A word from Zaytinya
Under the direction of renowned chef José Andrés, Zaytinya offers an innovative mezze menu inspired by Turkish, Greek and Lebanese cuisines served up in a sleek and modern setting. Shared small plates, creative cocktails and unique Mediterranean wines make this spot one of DC’s top dining destinations.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMediterranean
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Zaytinya - Best Restaurants in Penn Quarter ›
Zaytinya reviews from OpenTable diners
1293 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (950)good for groups (554)special occasion (550)hot spot (515)great for outdoor dining (453)great for lunch (346)vibrant bar scene (289)neighborhood gem (289)romantic (233)notable wine list (202)great for brunch (128)late-night find (106)kid-friendly (65)scenic view (42)Show More
- Second timeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/17/2014This was my second time here. The first time I brought a group from out of town, the second I went with my daughter who goes to college in DC. Both times were excellent. The good is very fresh, and not over seasoned. Good drinks and regional wine list. Worth the trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud middle easterncajoVIPDined on 10/17/2014Very good small plates and good Greek wines but extremely loud, fit for a young crowd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite restaurantpepperDined on 10/17/2014The food and service are consistently outstanding. It's so much fun to go here with a group and share a variety of mezzae. Everything is prepared just right. I think they may have even lightened up a bit on the salt - a good thing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice ambiance!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014Overall I enjoyed my experience. I had the scallops, falafel and the beet salad. I don't think my scallops were done all the way. I didn't notify my waiter one because I was so hungry and two because half way through our meal they switched waiters on us. The falafel was over cooked and quite difficult to chew. I'm sure these issues could have been worked out if I mentioned them but again I was coming during a time when I was very hungry so I can judge fairly on my next visit. I ended with the lemon mint lavender tea and chocolate lava cake which was excellent!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Didn't impressOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/16/2014Menu description promised more than they delivered. Server was harried and abrupt, and checked in infrequently.Special Features:
- The first date with ZaytinyaOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/16/2014Went for a first date and had a decent experience. It was louder than I expected but still a nice environment. Having a conversation was a little difficult with the noise level. Service was slow from the start, took about 10 minutes for our server to greet us and run the bread and water routine and deliver the drink menu and then 10 minutes or so until he returned to take a drink order. Drinks arrived fairly quickly, but then he disappeared for a while, finally he returned after we waved him down to take our food order. The food arrived quickly and was delicious. The server recommended 4-6 dishes/person, which seemed like overkill. We ordered 4 total and were fine. Enjoyed Zaytinya but hopefully you have a better server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodVikasVIPDined on 10/16/2014My wife and I love Zeytinya and visit often. The ambiance is bright and cheerful and the service is usually very good. I'm vegetarian while my wife is not and we find it easy to have a delightful meal with many shared items from the menu. The voice levels can be high at times but seldom disturbingly so.Special Features:
- Foodtastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/16/2014Regardless of what you order you won't be disappointed. Try the mushrooms, lamb, sprouts to start… You will be happy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/15/2014Had dinner with a friend and loved it! The vegetable side of the menu rocked!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/15/2014TERRIFIC!!! Waiter was unusually attentive, very clearly announcing which dishes were gluten-free since one of the party needed gluten-free options. Waiter went to the kitchen to find answers for questions such as "What's the coating on the lamb chops?" Two of the party had the Chef's Choice and were blown away by the array of tastes. We're considering the restaurant for a family celebration in the near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/14/2014Lamb chops need some help to come up to level of everything else... Which is creative and perfect.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/14/2014The food was excellent, the wine list was interesting...wide variety of foreign wines yet and wines that I was familiar with I would have liked a few wine choices that weren't blends It is noisy so not a great place for a business dinner or an intimate dinner I felt the server was anxious for us to finish and we wanted to linger.Special Features:
- ReviewDined on 10/13/2014Always great food and service! We were there on a Monday night before a show at Warner Theater and they were busy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My New Favorite RestuarantktwolfDined on 10/13/2014I cannot speak highly enough of Zaytinya. It's hard to know where to start. We dined outside on the patio, warmed by fire-generated space heaters. The ambience was lovely. (The dining room and bar area was modern and attractive, with a lively atmosphere.) Our waiter, Joel, was fantastic... friendly, funny and knowledgeable. The whole service team did a great job. The mezze menu was amazing... so varied, it was hard t choose just a few small plates. The food was excellent... incredible flavors, presented beautifully. We will definitely return if/when our travels bring us back to Washington, DC, and HIGHLY recommend Zaytinya to others!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/13/2014Great Middle Eastern style Tapas!! Very fun location for a large group. Close to everything downtown!!Special Features:
- Wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/13/2014Everything was perfect. The food & drink was a delight, the service was helpful and attentive (with a nice light touch) the ambiance was a just-right note of sparkle and warmth. The perfect place for a memorable meal and good conversation.Special Features:
- Tapas - only better!DiningdivaVIPDined on 10/12/2014The menu is diverse & complicated. Each little dish is an absolute gem. There isn't anything ordinary but that is not why you would eat here! I recommend 2 or 3 dishes a piece. Dessert is rich but small so go for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RikidoDined on 10/12/2014Good food and ambiance. The portions are a bit small and you leave the restaurant neather too full nor too hungry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ZantinyaOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/12/2014Was very pricey for the amount of food you get but the ambiance was nice. Some small plates were excellent and some were not.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very poor experience. To forgetUnhappyDined on 10/12/2014We requested the chief experience menu with wine paring. Food was very poor, the cheapest plates even if we paid as if these plates were the best. The drinks we're scare and bad. In fact they gave us one less than offered at the beginning. They do not bring the red glass of wine and told us that the lamb was suppose to be drank with Sauvignon blanc. Service was very bad. Trying to get clean plates was not easy!
- excellentdonutsDined on 10/12/2014I have been in WAshington a long time and never came here before, I just loved it- it was late lunch on Sunday and it wasnt full so not too noisy! I was so pleased with everything!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014have been going to Zaytinya for a very long time; it always is consistently excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/12/2014We ordered the mezze lunch plus two other sides. Everything was spectacularly delicious! My favorite was the halloumi cheese dish, and also the salmon on black hummus. Would love to visit this restaurant again.Special Features:
- Wonderful!ReneeDined on 10/11/2014This was my first time dining at Zaytinya. I would love to go again! Every person working was polite and professional and made us feel very welcomed and appreciated. The food was absolutely delicious and I really enjoyed sharing all the small plates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and vibrant settingVAAllenDined on 10/11/2014Jose Andres' restaurants never fail to deliver. We've been to Zaytinya many times and always have loved to food in addition to the modern atmosphere. It's a modern approach to Greek and Turkish food beyond just the typical preparation of souvlaki and moussaka.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All we expected and more!NYCvisitorVIPDined on 10/11/2014This restaurant was recommended by several friends when I was seeking DC restaurants for my recent trip to the city. It truly lived up to everything that we were told. The food was absolutely fantastic, and the cocktail that my friend had (and I tried!) was one of the most creative and delicious cocktails I have ever had. Every one of the plates we tried was amazing - the seared halloumi, the sea bass, the slow cooked lamb and the couscous were some of the standouts. And the rose chocolate dessert was stunning! Please go here if you can, you will not regret it. Reasonably noisy, fun, nice interior, good buzz.Special Features:
- Great ExperiencePhilDined on 10/11/2014Great dining experience - food was excellent with nice flavor combinationsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently great food and servicedcareadinerDined on 10/11/2014We had to get an early reservation because it is so popular, but even before 6 pm the restaurant was packed. We were seated in the large open areas with high ceilings so we did not have any issues with excessive noise. The waiter was attentive without hovering and the food was brought in a timely manner (we always had something to eat). We ordered 5 dishes between two of us and everything was great. Cocktails were tasty too - esp. the 3:00 in Istanbul.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, delicious foodLoveroffoodDined on 10/11/2014The food was delicious! Definitely loved the hommus and the htipiti and would highly recommend those! Everything was hot and came out really fast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, but TOO Loud!CarkyVIPDined on 10/10/2014The food was delicious (as usual), as was the wine. The service was good, not great. The noise level was much too loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/10/2014Extremely disappointed in the food. We had the tasting menu and was told that everyone had to take that option. Thus it was forced meal for all dinners. . The portions given were extremely small. That is four croquettes for three persons?? Overall we felt ripped off.Special Features:
- MemorableFlutterlash2Dined on 10/10/2014Thoroughly enjoyed the experience! Attentive service without hovering; did not feel rushed. We arrived 15 minutes early for reservations for 3 and were reseated right away. Mushrooms, crispy eggplant and brussel sprouts were wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as noisy as I thought.GBomberDined on 10/10/2014I went with my husband and his friend both have a hearing problem when there are loud background noises. So, I was little concerned about the noise level of this restaurant after I saw some reviews. But, it was not as noisy as I thought. We requested a seat in a quiet corner and were taken to the seat in the room with a lower ceiling. The side of the room was much quieter than the room with a high ceiling. So, we all could enjoy the conversation without worrying about the loud noises. Foods were very good!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good Mediterranean foodWingsFanDined on 10/10/2014Zaytinya is a Mediterranean small plates restaurant. We tried 6 dishes, which turned out to be just about right for the two of us. We thoroughly enjoyed them all. They also had a nice selection of Greek wines. It is located near Verizon Center, so make sure to get a reservation if you want to go on a night that something, like a Caps game, is happening at Verizon Center.Special Features:
- a bit too fastedieVIPDined on 10/10/2014We love to come here, the food is interesting and good but sometimes it comes out a bit too quickly and you feel rushed to gobble down everything while it is still warm. guess we could ask the server to space things out a bit more.Special Features:
- Awesome, as AlwaysMaryHDined on 10/9/2014Whenever you go to Zaytinya, you know that you're in for exceptional service and outstanding food. From the moment you walk in, the host stand is appropriately managed and seats tables efficiently, the servers will make recommendations and the chef almost always comes out to check on your meal. They're happy to accommodate dietary restrictions and will immediately fix any dish that has even a slight mistake. This is exactly how a fine dining experience should be.Special Features:
- OutstandingFoodieDined on 10/9/2014We cameleer once before and enjoyed it so much that it was the first reservation we made when we were coming back to the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful foodwesthoustonfoodie1Dined on 10/9/2014This was my second time at Zaytinya, and the food was as fantastic as it was the first time. We were lucky to get a prime time reservation Noisy, happening spot, but well worth it.Special Features:
- Good Food but Very NoisyOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/9/2014The sea bass, shrimp in saffron sauce and the orange salad we ordered were very tasty. The service was wonderful. Our waiter took especial care with a gluten allergy we had in our party. The restaurant was too noisy however. We could barely hear each other sitting right next to each other. I did not enjoy having to shout for conversation for such an expensive place. For this reason I am unlikely to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SolidPelzonWineDined on 10/9/2014Zaytinya is really a solid place, especially for lunch. They have a $25 4-course lunch menu that is quite good and very good value. I did think that a couple of dishes were so-so though. The crispy eggplant (BANTIJAN BIL LABAN) is very bland tasting without the yoghurt, which I found slightly surprising, but in total it was still very good. The Arayes that followed was sensational. The next course was Keftedes Kapama was heavily salted. The meatballs themselves were too salty, and the sauce was too salty, as well. The spices got lost in the shuffle because of this. For dessert, the Turkish delight was indeed a delight. Overall, I still like it, but the execution seemed off on at least one dish.Special Features: