701 9th St NW
Washington, DC 20001Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.zaytinya.com/
- Phone: 2026380800x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday and Monday: 11:30 am to 10:00 pm
Tuesday–Thursday: 11:30 am to 11:00 pm
Friday and Saturday: 11:30 am to Midnight
Brunch:Saturday & Sunday 11:30 am until 3:00 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Turkish, Greek
- Executive Chef: Executive Chef José Andrés; Zaytinya Head Chef, Michael Costa
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering on a whole new level José Andrés Catering elevates catering and event planning to new heights in the Washington, DC area and beyond. Now you can experience the inspired creations of celebrated chef José Andrés at your own party or venue. Visit us for more information at www.joseandrescatering.com, or call us at (301) 913-0003.
- Private Party Facilities: Zaytinya is the perfect place for your next event. We have a number of large spaces, intimate coves, and dramatic communal tables to accommodate any size and type of event or group dining big or small. ,
- Private Party Contact: Events@zaytinya.com 2026380202x
- Special Events: Please visit our website and sign up for our mailing list to receive the latest information and updates on special events at Zaytinya
A word from Zaytinya
Under the direction of renowned chef José Andrés, Zaytinya offers an innovative mezze menu inspired by Turkish, Greek and Lebanese cuisines served up in a sleek and modern setting. Shared small plates, creative cocktails and unique Mediterranean wines make this spot one of DC’s top dining destinations.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMediterranean
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Zaytinya - Best Restaurants in Penn Quarter ›
Zaytinya reviews from OpenTable diners
1291 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (945)good for groups (554)special occasion (554)hot spot (524)great for outdoor dining (439)great for lunch (339)neighborhood gem (289)vibrant bar scene (289)romantic (231)notable wine list (202)great for brunch (123)late-night find (105)kid-friendly (64)scenic view (39)Show More
- pretry good!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/22/2014food was great！ we did the chefs menu, they came out with a lot of great dishes I only wish they served octopus. The scallops with Harissa and garlic purée was to die for as was the shrimp in a butter and dill sauce !!! The beef over the charred kale was subpar. I would definitely recommend lamb, cooked any way. As for the service, we had made reservations for 7:30 but because of traffic we called and moved it to 7:45 without any problem. We arrived around 7:35 but unfortunately were not seated until 8:10. However the first round of cocktails was on them! Apparently there was a horse show going on the week we went and they were busier than usual. My only other issue was it was so loud !!! Very chatty place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the best sushi...OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/22/2014Great atmosphere but sushi mediocre. Disappointing...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place to EatOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/22/2014The staff at Zaytinya is absolutely fabulous. Someone from the neighborhood approached our table asking for money, which one of our guests provided, but Zaytinya was so apologetic that we were approached or our meal was disrupted that they provided us with desserts compliments of the house. What a first class act! Wished more restaurants were like Zaytinya.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SabhiVIPDined on 10/21/2014They serve small tapas style dinner. What ever we ordered was good. Can't complain about the food in whatever manner. Service could be better. It is a busy place. So they serve food pretty fast. I would recommend it to my family and friends and also I would come back to this restaurant on my next visit.Special Features:
- Could have been a bad night, but...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/20/2014There was a problem with our reservation, and we waited for 45 minutes for a table, just when everybody else were getting one, because we were forgotten by the restaurant's staff. I told them I was disappointed, and the manager came to apologize e wish a great experience. What happened then? We had a great night, with great food and beverages in an incredible place, and, in the end, we got surprised by a 80% discount. This is what makes the difference in great places: problems sometimes happen, but attention and quality are what really matter. I would definitely come back if I lived in DC.Special Features:
- Was a little offclsdinerVIPDined on 10/20/2014Zaytinya was one of my favorite places. Not sure if it is declining or kitchen just had an off day. My lunch was just ok. Service was great, but the salmon sandwich was just blah. I've always previously loved food at Zaytinya so I was surprised. Maybe I just chose the wrong dish.
- great experienceDanikaVIPDined on 10/19/2014one of the best ever. service was great, food was outstanding. it was very busy, but food came out fast, they were very attentive to my 5 year oldSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, too noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/19/2014I have eaten at Zaytinya three times now and the food has been consistently delicious. The service is just okay -- at least it is not indifferent or neglectful, but the servers seem a little rushed and overwhelmed. This is probably because the place is always incredibly crowded and it is a big restaurant. I would not recommend this for a business dinner or date night because of the noise. However, the food is excellent.Special Features:
- So many dishes, so little time...EllenPDined on 10/19/2014Great food! Our waitress was terrific--she explained the "small plate" process and let us decide how we wanted the food to be delivered. The restaurant is a pretty noisy (we had some older folks in our party and they were a little put off by that)--that's really the only reason for losing the 5th star.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre concert brunchAngelaDined on 10/19/2014Washington Metropolitan Philharmonic frequently play at the Church of the Epiphany a few block away and so some of us concert goers come for brunch before the concerts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too badOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/18/2014We had a nice time, but svc was not great. I made a rez for 10 6 wks in advance for a friend's bachelorette party. I called an hr ahead to confirm, but our table wasn't ready when we arrived. They were running 20 min. behind b/c they hadn't anticipated the cold weather and had overbooked, assuming more outside seating. You couldn't call? Or tell me when I called? No free drinks. Communication from front staff continued to be poor while we waited. We were seated a 1/2 hr later, but had to wait forever to order. Then food started arriving -- often wrong dishes. And they were obvsly bringing out the dishes by seat. So one of my friends didn't get anything she had ordered for well over an hr! By then the rest of us were pretty much done eating.Special Features:
- Favorite Restaurant in all of DCShleyDined on 10/18/2014This restaurant NEVER ceases to impress. While I was a little disappointed that my friends and I had to wait twenty minutes AFTER our reservation time to be seated, the drinks, and more importantly the food, were well-worth the wait. The four of us each ordered 3 plates so that we could all share and try different items - from brussel sprouts to octopus, lamb to spanakopita - this restaurant is nothing short of incredible. I've been here every visit the last three trips to Washington and it is always the highlight when we think back to the food.Special Features:
- Ask for DavidCallmearelicDined on 10/18/2014The meal was superb as always, but this visit was over the top with exceptional service by David. His recommendations were spot on, right down to the best way to enjoy the Turkish StormSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what it used to beLuismiVIPDined on 10/18/2014We had been there before and we thought it was really good. This time we were seated upstairs, completely isolated, where it was warm and it seemed we got the tier 3 team. The food was awful, except for the spreads and the service was slow and erratic. It was like fast food really slow. Certainly not a good experience!
- Good food & service but too LOUD!scjordiVIPDined on 10/17/2014Try to NOT get seated upstairs. The acoustics are terrible and took away from the experience. It's too bad since the food, drinks and service were really good.Special Features:
- Second timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014This was my second time here. The first time I brought a group from out of town, the second I went with my daughter who goes to college in DC. Both times were excellent. The good is very fresh, and not over seasoned. Good drinks and regional wine list. Worth the trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A price point for everyoneSonolavicheDined on 10/17/2014Great menu that everyone can afford. The kitchen is smoking fast getting food in your mouth!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud middle easterncajoVIPDined on 10/17/2014Very good small plates and good Greek wines but extremely loud, fit for a young crowd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite restaurantpepperDined on 10/17/2014The food and service are consistently outstanding. It's so much fun to go here with a group and share a variety of mezzae. Everything is prepared just right. I think they may have even lightened up a bit on the salt - a good thing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice ambiance!Kat215Dined on 10/17/2014Overall I enjoyed my experience. I had the scallops, falafel and the beet salad. I don't think my scallops were done all the way. I didn't notify my waiter one because I was so hungry and two because half way through our meal they switched waiters on us. The falafel was over cooked and quite difficult to chew. I'm sure these issues could have been worked out if I mentioned them but again I was coming during a time when I was very hungry so I can judge fairly on my next visit. I ended with the lemon mint lavender tea and chocolate lava cake which was excellent!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hit or missOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/17/2014I've been several times over the last few weeks. One time was perfect. Two other times poor. Dishes came out all at once. No micro greens with salmon. Inconsistent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Didn't impressSFFPVIPDined on 10/16/2014Menu description promised more than they delivered. Server was harried and abrupt, and checked in infrequently.Special Features:
- The first date with ZaytinyawhatsthatsmellDined on 10/16/2014Went for a first date and had a decent experience. It was louder than I expected but still a nice environment. Having a conversation was a little difficult with the noise level. Service was slow from the start, took about 10 minutes for our server to greet us and run the bread and water routine and deliver the drink menu and then 10 minutes or so until he returned to take a drink order. Drinks arrived fairly quickly, but then he disappeared for a while, finally he returned after we waved him down to take our food order. The food arrived quickly and was delicious. The server recommended 4-6 dishes/person, which seemed like overkill. We ordered 4 total and were fine. Enjoyed Zaytinya but hopefully you have a better server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodVikasVIPDined on 10/16/2014My wife and I love Zeytinya and visit often. The ambiance is bright and cheerful and the service is usually very good. I'm vegetarian while my wife is not and we find it easy to have a delightful meal with many shared items from the menu. The voice levels can be high at times but seldom disturbingly so.Special Features:
- Foodtastic!FrankezcontentDined on 10/16/2014Regardless of what you order you won't be disappointed. Try the mushrooms, lamb, sprouts to start… You will be happy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CurlygirlDined on 10/15/2014Had dinner with a friend and loved it! The vegetable side of the menu rocked!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SloweaterDined on 10/15/2014TERRIFIC!!! Waiter was unusually attentive, very clearly announcing which dishes were gluten-free since one of the party needed gluten-free options. Waiter went to the kitchen to find answers for questions such as "What's the coating on the lamb chops?" Two of the party had the Chef's Choice and were blown away by the array of tastes. We're considering the restaurant for a family celebration in the near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative, delicious, beautifySixtysomethingDined on 10/15/2014From the dramatic sculpture outside its doors to the sweeping, gorgeous blue and white interior, Zaytinya is a thing of beauty. Coupled with creative, delicious cuisine and implacable service, this restaurant is the perfect choice for a lunch date or a couples/friends night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/14/2014Lamb chops need some help to come up to level of everything else... Which is creative and perfect.Special Features:
- vacoachDined on 10/14/2014The food was excellent, the wine list was interesting...wide variety of foreign wines yet and wines that I was familiar with I would have liked a few wine choices that weren't blends It is noisy so not a great place for a business dinner or an intimate dinner I felt the server was anxious for us to finish and we wanted to linger.Special Features:
- ReviewDined on 10/13/2014Always great food and service! We were there on a Monday night before a show at Warner Theater and they were busy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My New Favorite RestuarantktwolfDined on 10/13/2014I cannot speak highly enough of Zaytinya. It's hard to know where to start. We dined outside on the patio, warmed by fire-generated space heaters. The ambience was lovely. (The dining room and bar area was modern and attractive, with a lively atmosphere.) Our waiter, Joel, was fantastic... friendly, funny and knowledgeable. The whole service team did a great job. The mezze menu was amazing... so varied, it was hard t choose just a few small plates. The food was excellent... incredible flavors, presented beautifully. We will definitely return if/when our travels bring us back to Washington, DC, and HIGHLY recommend Zaytinya to others!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/13/2014Great Middle Eastern style Tapas!! Very fun location for a large group. Close to everything downtown!!Special Features:
- Wonderful!GoldilocksDined on 10/13/2014Everything was perfect. The food & drink was a delight, the service was helpful and attentive (with a nice light touch) the ambiance was a just-right note of sparkle and warmth. The perfect place for a memorable meal and good conversation.Special Features:
- Tapas - only better!DiningdivaVIPDined on 10/12/2014The menu is diverse & complicated. Each little dish is an absolute gem. There isn't anything ordinary but that is not why you would eat here! I recommend 2 or 3 dishes a piece. Dessert is rich but small so go for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RikidoDined on 10/12/2014Good food and ambiance. The portions are a bit small and you leave the restaurant neather too full nor too hungry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ZantinyaOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/12/2014Was very pricey for the amount of food you get but the ambiance was nice. Some small plates were excellent and some were not.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very poor experience. To forgetUnhappyDined on 10/12/2014We requested the chief experience menu with wine paring. Food was very poor, the cheapest plates even if we paid as if these plates were the best. The drinks we're scare and bad. In fact they gave us one less than offered at the beginning. They do not bring the red glass of wine and told us that the lamb was suppose to be drank with Sauvignon blanc. Service was very bad. Trying to get clean plates was not easy!
- excellentdonutsDined on 10/12/2014I have been in WAshington a long time and never came here before, I just loved it- it was late lunch on Sunday and it wasnt full so not too noisy! I was so pleased with everything!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014have been going to Zaytinya for a very long time; it always is consistently excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.