701 9th St NW
Washington, DC 20001Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.zaytinya.com/
- Phone: 2026380800x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday and Monday: 11:30 am to 10:00 pm
Tuesday–Thursday: 11:30 am to 11:00 pm
Friday and Saturday: 11:30 am to Midnight
Brunch:Saturday & Sunday 11:30 am until 3:00 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Turkish, Greek
- Executive Chef: Executive Chef José Andrés; Zaytinya Head Chef, Michael Costa
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering on a whole new level José Andrés Catering elevates catering and event planning to new heights in the Washington, DC area and beyond. Now you can experience the inspired creations of celebrated chef José Andrés at your own party or venue. Visit us for more information at www.joseandrescatering.com, or call us at (301) 913-0003.
- Private Party Facilities: Zaytinya is the perfect place for your next event. We have a number of large spaces, intimate coves, and dramatic communal tables to accommodate any size and type of event or group dining big or small. ,
- Private Party Contact: Events@zaytinya.com 2026380202x
- Special Events: Please visit our website and sign up for our mailing list to receive the latest information and updates on special events at Zaytinya
A word from Zaytinya
Under the direction of renowned chef José Andrés, Zaytinya offers an innovative mezze menu inspired by Turkish, Greek and Lebanese cuisines served up in a sleek and modern setting. Shared small plates, creative cocktails and unique Mediterranean wines make this spot one of DC’s top dining destinations.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMediterranean
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Zaytinya - Best Restaurants in Penn Quarter ›
Zaytinya reviews from OpenTable diners
1285 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (939)good for groups (555)special occasion (539)hot spot (521)great for outdoor dining (439)great for lunch (342)neighborhood gem (292)vibrant bar scene (283)romantic (228)notable wine list (202)great for brunch (113)late-night find (106)kid-friendly (65)scenic view (39)Show More
- Mediterranean cuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/29/2014Menu has a wide assortment of creative and healthful dishes inspired by Turkish-Greek cuisines. The service is very attentive. I had lunch here with a friend and would definitely return for dinner in the future. Tables are not too close together so conversations can be private. Did not have to raise voices to be heard. Not inexpensive but you pay for quality.Special Features:
- So good!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/28/2014I just love tapas-style dining - and this place is just that. Food is exceptional, service is great. Great cocktails too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wish service was as good as foodDCVegVIPDined on 10/28/2014I love the food at Zaytinya and wish the service was equally pleasing. The server was notably absent during my most recent visit. It took two requests and close to 10 minutes to get bread for our htipiti spread (feta, roasted red peppers and thyme - highly recommended). My dining companion requested a lemon or lime for his sparkling water twice but never got it. The server did seem to know the menu well and my dining companion was pleased with his recommendations, particularly the signature brussels sprouts dish. We both appreciated the variety of vegetarian options on the menu. It was difficult to pick just five or six to try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gluten free optionsOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/27/2014The restaurant and our server were really good about accomodating our dietary needs (gluten free and vegan). We had plenty of excellent, tasteful options to share. I would definitely recommend Zaytinya to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/27/2014I come from a Lebanese family and I must say the food was not disappointing. It tasted great. Plates were decent sized for trying, but with that comes to say they were expensive for the size (but totally worth it). Recommend the Lavneh, Dolmades, and Kibbeh.Special Features:
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/27/2014My husband and I enjoyed dinner at Zaytinya to celebrate our wedding anniversary. The food was flavorful and the service was excellent. Highly recommend for a special night out.Special Features:
- Great menuDCDinerDined on 10/27/2014Z's has a great menu with a variety of small-plate foods to offer. This is the perfect place to dine with friends that have a variety of dietary restrictions or are veg heads. Atmosphere is great but can get a little loud depending of where you get seated. Waiter was a little slow and hard to understand, due to his heavy accent. Other than that, Jose Andrès out does himself, once again!Special Features:
- Coolest Place Near Verizon CenterBusinesDinerDined on 10/27/2014Not cheap, but well worth it. Site is very hip with a great location. Food is unique, brilliantly prepared and beautifully presented. The octopus should never be passed up. The lamb dishes are all wonderful. Great place for a business dinner, romantic dinner, group dinner and for special occasions. Service was even better than the food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun place, great food.DisappointngDined on 10/26/2014Ate here with two friends on a Sunday evening recently. It was very crowded and very loud. Obviously a popular place. They did their best to accommodate us with a quiet table. We each ordered three things and all of the were very good, as was the Lebonese wine. They brought our dishes to the table two or three at a time, which was fun. I particularly liked the roasted brussels sprouts, roasted peppers, and fried cheese (can't remember what it is officially called). Service was excellent. I would definitely recommend this as a fun place with great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverratedOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/26/2014Food is good but not as amazing as it is rated. Go to Agora in DuPont instead.Special Features:
- Culinary adventureOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/25/2014My husband enjoyed our culinary adventure. Our waiter advised we each pick 3 and then share. A good idea. We had among other things octopus. Red lentil patties,ann in phyllo, roasted red peppers, we shared a bottle of wine and had dessert our bill in the end was under $190 in the end which we thought was a very good value for a restaurant in DCSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent, but a little underwhelmingAzilDined on 10/25/2014Food was good, but not the caliber I expected. Sat us at a wobbly table under lights in the center of a side room. No ambiance. Requested to be moved and seated to nice outdoor table. Server was extremely backed up, but eventually was decent.Special Features:
- Great for vegetariansils17Dined on 10/25/2014Zaytinia never disappoints! The Brussels sprouts are a must get, as is the cous cous. The apricot yogurt dessert is a perfect and light finish to the meal. There are so many options for people who don't eat meat (and of course many options for people who do).Special Features:
- Servers need to be friendlierOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/25/2014Wait staff was great, but the servers are so unfriendly it is kind of a put off
- Mediterranean excellencefiftyishfoodieDined on 10/25/2014Our party of 5 enjoyed the variety of foods from around the Mediterranean from Greece to Egypt. Our experts approved of the lebneh and pita and I found the taramasalata light and delicate. The cauliflower was excellent, the kebab sampler generous, and Turkish coffee finished the meal nicely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ANother Great Zatinya ExperienceeaglesfanDined on 10/25/2014There's a reason Zatinya makes all the "Best Of" lists in DC. The food, the service, the atmosphere - all 5 stars. I hosted a had a group of 7 out of town guests for brunch and it couldn't have been better. Zatinya should be your go to place for tapas, brunch, or whatever!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Roving1VIPDined on 10/24/2014An overrated place. Long wait for a table reserved long in advance. Very small portions of ok food for high prices. Defeating noise; very difficult to communicate with the rest of the party.
- Great Food and ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014Definitely Money and Time will spent. Perfectly cooked dishes, with sublime drinks combined with attentive yet not intrusive service.Special Features:
- Outstanding flavors!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/24/2014We usually don't like small plates but this Mediterranean was superb. The flavors were delicious and each dish was described in English. Since the names of the dishes were different here are the ones we loved: the squash hommus special- outstanding!) , imam baylidi (stuffed eggplant), kolokithokeftede (zucchini and cheese patties with a great sauce) , lamb kelftico (seasoned ground lamb in phillo, a special that night), and beef keftedes (beef & lamb meatballs). We didn't like the lamb bahar (lamb kebab). They refill the pita bread basket, which was a special light bread. Wish we had this restaurant near us! Don't miss this restaurant when you are in DC. It was fun and a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Choose with careCandidCommentsDined on 10/24/2014On balance this is recommended. We sat outside, and that was very pleasant. (Inside can be very noisy when it is busy). The food is very good, but the portions can be quite small. So make choices with care.Special Features:
- Too noisydebraDined on 10/23/2014Too insanely noisy, And this after we had requested a quiet table. Brutally noisy, our ears physically ached, and instead of dessert and more drinks, we fled. Too bad, because the food is very good.Special Features:
- Great placeBethD4356Dined on 10/23/2014The service was phenomenal, our waiter kept the drinks coming and described the menu in great detail. He offered suggestions and some we took and some we didn't. The meal itself was delicious - whole grilled bonino and nutty, crispy brussel sprouts with a yogurt sauce and barberries. The signature cocktails went down quickly. Will be doing this place again!Special Features:
- pretry good!AlwayshungryDined on 10/22/2014food was great！ we did the chefs menu, they came out with a lot of great dishes I only wish they served octopus. The scallops with Harissa and garlic purée was to die for as was the shrimp in a butter and dill sauce !!! The beef over the charred kale was subpar. I would definitely recommend lamb, cooked any way. As for the service, we had made reservations for 7:30 but because of traffic we called and moved it to 7:45 without any problem. We arrived around 7:35 but unfortunately were not seated until 8:10. However the first round of cocktails was on them! Apparently there was a horse show going on the week we went and they were busier than usual. My only other issue was it was so loud !!! Very chatty place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the best sushi...JdetemDined on 10/22/2014Great atmosphere but sushi mediocre. Disappointing...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place to EatFabulousDined on 10/22/2014The staff at Zaytinya is absolutely fabulous. Someone from the neighborhood approached our table asking for money, which one of our guests provided, but Zaytinya was so apologetic that we were approached or our meal was disrupted that they provided us with desserts compliments of the house. What a first class act! Wished more restaurants were like Zaytinya.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SabhiVIPDined on 10/21/2014They serve small tapas style dinner. What ever we ordered was good. Can't complain about the food in whatever manner. Service could be better. It is a busy place. So they serve food pretty fast. I would recommend it to my family and friends and also I would come back to this restaurant on my next visit.Special Features:
- Could have been a bad night, but...varejaohenriqueDined on 10/20/2014There was a problem with our reservation, and we waited for 45 minutes for a table, just when everybody else were getting one, because we were forgotten by the restaurant's staff. I told them I was disappointed, and the manager came to apologize e wish a great experience. What happened then? We had a great night, with great food and beverages in an incredible place, and, in the end, we got surprised by a 80% discount. This is what makes the difference in great places: problems sometimes happen, but attention and quality are what really matter. I would definitely come back if I lived in DC.Special Features:
- Was a little offclsdinerVIPDined on 10/20/2014Zaytinya was one of my favorite places. Not sure if it is declining or kitchen just had an off day. My lunch was just ok. Service was great, but the salmon sandwich was just blah. I've always previously loved food at Zaytinya so I was surprised. Maybe I just chose the wrong dish.
- great experienceDanikaVIPDined on 10/19/2014one of the best ever. service was great, food was outstanding. it was very busy, but food came out fast, they were very attentive to my 5 year oldSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, too noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/19/2014I have eaten at Zaytinya three times now and the food has been consistently delicious. The service is just okay -- at least it is not indifferent or neglectful, but the servers seem a little rushed and overwhelmed. This is probably because the place is always incredibly crowded and it is a big restaurant. I would not recommend this for a business dinner or date night because of the noise. However, the food is excellent.Special Features:
- So many dishes, so little time...EllenPDined on 10/19/2014Great food! Our waitress was terrific--she explained the "small plate" process and let us decide how we wanted the food to be delivered. The restaurant is a pretty noisy (we had some older folks in our party and they were a little put off by that)--that's really the only reason for losing the 5th star.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Varied menuBettyDined on 10/19/2014I had not tasted, or even heard of, most of the dishes in the menu. While that was an issue for the rest of my party, I enjoyed trying the plates that our waiter recommended. The presentation was appealing, and the taste was very good, even if unfamiliar. I would love to go back and try more of the items on the menu, preferably outside (too cold when we were there).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre concert brunchAngelaDined on 10/19/2014Washington Metropolitan Philharmonic frequently play at the Church of the Epiphany a few block away and so some of us concert goers come for brunch before the concerts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too badOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/18/2014We had a nice time, but svc was not great. I made a rez for 10 6 wks in advance for a friend's bachelorette party. I called an hr ahead to confirm, but our table wasn't ready when we arrived. They were running 20 min. behind b/c they hadn't anticipated the cold weather and had overbooked, assuming more outside seating. You couldn't call? Or tell me when I called? No free drinks. Communication from front staff continued to be poor while we waited. We were seated a 1/2 hr later, but had to wait forever to order. Then food started arriving -- often wrong dishes. And they were obvsly bringing out the dishes by seat. So one of my friends didn't get anything she had ordered for well over an hr! By then the rest of us were pretty much done eating.Special Features:
- Favorite Restaurant in all of DCShleyDined on 10/18/2014This restaurant NEVER ceases to impress. While I was a little disappointed that my friends and I had to wait twenty minutes AFTER our reservation time to be seated, the drinks, and more importantly the food, were well-worth the wait. The four of us each ordered 3 plates so that we could all share and try different items - from brussel sprouts to octopus, lamb to spanakopita - this restaurant is nothing short of incredible. I've been here every visit the last three trips to Washington and it is always the highlight when we think back to the food.Special Features:
- Ask for DavidCallmearelicDined on 10/18/2014The meal was superb as always, but this visit was over the top with exceptional service by David. His recommendations were spot on, right down to the best way to enjoy the Turkish StormSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what it used to beLuismiVIPDined on 10/18/2014We had been there before and we thought it was really good. This time we were seated upstairs, completely isolated, where it was warm and it seemed we got the tier 3 team. The food was awful, except for the spreads and the service was slow and erratic. It was like fast food really slow. Certainly not a good experience!
- Good food & service but too LOUD!scjordiVIPDined on 10/17/2014Try to NOT get seated upstairs. The acoustics are terrible and took away from the experience. It's too bad since the food, drinks and service were really good.Special Features:
- Second timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014This was my second time here. The first time I brought a group from out of town, the second I went with my daughter who goes to college in DC. Both times were excellent. The good is very fresh, and not over seasoned. Good drinks and regional wine list. Worth the trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A price point for everyoneSonolavicheDined on 10/17/2014Great menu that everyone can afford. The kitchen is smoking fast getting food in your mouth!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.