701 9th St NW
Washington, DC 20001Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.zaytinya.com/
- Phone: 2026380800x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday and Monday: 11:30 am to 10:00 pm
Tuesday–Thursday: 11:30 am to 11:00 pm
Friday and Saturday: 11:30 am to Midnight
Brunch:Saturday & Sunday 11:30 am until 3:00 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Turkish, Greek
- Executive Chef: Executive Chef José Andrés; Zaytinya Head Chef, Michael Costa
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering on a whole new level José Andrés Catering elevates catering and event planning to new heights in the Washington, DC area and beyond. Now you can experience the inspired creations of celebrated chef José Andrés at your own party or venue. Visit us for more information at www.joseandrescatering.com, or call us at (301) 913-0003.
- Private Party Facilities: Zaytinya is the perfect place for your next event. We have a number of large spaces, intimate coves, and dramatic communal tables to accommodate any size and type of event or group dining big or small. ,
- Private Party Contact: Events@zaytinya.com 2026380202x
- Special Events: Please visit our website and sign up for our mailing list to receive the latest information and updates on special events at Zaytinya
A word from Zaytinya
Under the direction of renowned chef José Andrés, Zaytinya offers an innovative mezze menu inspired by Turkish, Greek and Lebanese cuisines served up in a sleek and modern setting. Shared small plates, creative cocktails and unique Mediterranean wines make this spot one of DC’s top dining destinations.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMediterranean
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Zaytinya - Best Restaurants in Penn Quarter ›
Zaytinya reviews from OpenTable diners
1356 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (977)special occasion (584)good for groups (570)hot spot (527)great for outdoor dining (491)great for lunch (377)neighborhood gem (305)vibrant bar scene (301)romantic (242)notable wine list (211)great for brunch (141)late-night find (113)kid-friendly (72)scenic view (48)Show More
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Good place to eat, as a couple or in big groups, food comes out really fast!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun night outOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Great outdoor dining space. Food service was at a perfect pace. Great place to try different foods for the menu is not the norm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/27/2014Thoroughly enjoyed the food. Service was attentive. Busy noisy funSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fabulous!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Each dish even better than the one before! Cannot even begin to rave over how wonderful this dining experience was! We tried a variety of dishes from spreads to main courses, the kabob sampler was the perfect choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad I wentOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/27/2014I had heard a lot of buzz about Zaytinya and I'm glad I finally found out for myself how good it is. Great food and service. Enjoyable location for an evening out.Special Features:
- Food fit for sharingJW113Dined on 9/27/2014The mezze style of Zaytinya works well since the menu is fairly large and plates made for sharing allows for diners to try out a few different dishes. The food was great and the ambiance was nice, although it was definitely loud in the restaurant.Special Features:
- Great place before a show at WarnerILoveFoodDined on 9/27/2014This is a great restaurant to eat with a group (or on a date) before a show at the Warner Theater. It is about a 3-4 block walk and such a nice stroll after an awesome meal! The small plates are big enough to share, but portioned just right if you want it all to yourself. The octopus is delicious. The brussel sprouts are a must try.Special Features:
- delightfulSparkyDined on 9/27/2014Zaytinya serves Greek/Turkish/Lebanese mezze dishes. We really enjoyed our overall experience for a late Saturday lunch and will definitely return. While some of the dishes are good but "routine" (bronzino, turkish chicken salad on endive) others are surprising delights. In our table of 6 those special dishes include the brussel sprouts, the cucumber soup, the octupus. Many more to try.Special Features:
- Excellently food and serviceDeborahDined on 9/26/2014Zaytinya is a beautiful restaurant with lovely outdoor seating and fabulous food. It's a little loud on Friday night for dinner. But that's to be expected as it's very crowded. They have a nut-free menu for those who need it, and the waiter was able to let me know which items on the regular menu that my date ordered were nut free. The cocktails are unusual and delicious, but the food is the real delight. There is no wrong or best thing to order, as everything was fantastic, and the fact that the items are small means that you should order a few per person--good for sampling a lot, but a bit pricey. Definitely recommended!Special Features:
- All the spreads in the worldOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/26/2014We ordered the sampling of the spreads which were delicious. My partner and I went with another couple and we loved the spreads. However, we had to beg for more bread. We got the standard serving of bread at the beginning but the staff should know that if the spreads are ordered more bread is required. It was embarrassing to feel like we were begging after a while. The rest of the meal was okay - maybe we went over board on the spreads at the beginning. We all reported to one another that we had indigestion the next day. Was it the spiced up lamb, the wine, or what - I don't know. None the less, the spreads and the octopus were delicious.Special Features:
- Second visitBirthdayDinnerDined on 9/26/2014Was in DC again and had liked Zaytinya on a previous trip, so decided to try it again. The food is excellent, there is a large selection, and a nice wine list Had a reservation and were seated promptly. The service was excellent and the waiter made some good recommendations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great serviceoperagourmetDined on 9/26/2014The food and service were wonderful. The small entrees (mezze) were creative and made to share, and were a voyage of culinary exploration in the positive sense (it was my first visit.) The selection of vegetable dishes was ample for a vegetarian meal as well. Our server was generous with information and guidance. Our only negative experience related to parking. The valet stand is at a busy intersection, and one of us found it unstaffed, and ultimately had to park elsewhere. The restaurant did accept responsibility. All in all, a nice dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014Service was exceptional Food was tapas/small plate format Vegetarian options were perfectSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/26/2014The wait staff was excellent. It was out first time at the restaurant and they were extremely helpful in familiarizing us with the menu and helping us have a great dining experience.Special Features:
- TashiVIPDined on 9/26/2014We realized it had been several months since our last meal at Zaytinya, so we picked a spectacular fall day to enjoy a leisurely lunch. Billie provided excellent service and our meal, as always, was fabulous. We are still crazy for the Brussels sprouts and the horta salata which we would happily eat daily. The mix of mushrooms with dates was lovely and a new menu item since we were last there. The squid, extra crispy, was divine! So glad we returned!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Mediterranean food!TonyMDined on 9/25/2014The small plates are superb. The receptionist found a good table and our server did a great job helping us select dishes to enjoy. Three of us enjoyed baba ganoush, labneh, mushroom couscous, seared halloumi cheese, spanikopita and more. The only drawback is that is it extremely noisy - there's nothing in the restaurant that absorbs sounds.Special Features:
- Loud but funccoreDined on 9/25/2014Great service, fun night with friends. The server, David, was excellent - unobtrusive, but attentive. We had many small plates - brussels sprouts, mushrooms and cauliflower were memorable. Scallops, sausage and lamb were good - especially scallops and lamb. Highly recommended, but can get expensive if you order a lot.Special Features:
- Never disappointed!!kjnnDined on 9/25/2014We've been a number of times of the past 5 years or so and have never been disappointed. It's where we take out of town guests and they have always loved it too!Special Features:
- No disappointment from Jose AndresOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/25/2014It's a small plates menu - - - which makes it wonderful for sharing and trying lots of offerings from the chef. The bread came out warm (and generously) and was delicious for scooping up the spinach puree that came with the spanakopita - - - or even better - the lemon/dill sauce with the shrimp. The falafel was moist and flavorful (I've had plenty that was dry as a bone) and the tabbouleh was lemony and delicious. We decided to finish off dinner with the cheese plate instead of dessert - and the cheeses were paired with sweet (but not too) chutney-like spreads that were just wonderful. I'll definitely be back to try the rest of the menu. Lots of fun and great service made for a lovely evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent in every wayDanielleDined on 9/25/2014Our server, David, was knowledgeable, charming and entertaining. Food was fantastic, small dishes perfect for tasting and sharing. Wine was delicious! Will absolutely return here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trendy, Upbeat Tapas RestaurantMissMelDined on 9/24/2014Zaytina has a great atmosphere, and the bar is large with lots of room to mingle. We had a nice booth table, and the place was packed for a Wed night. Valet parking is convenient considering how busy it is around there, so the $12 is worth it. The food was good - hummus and fresh pita puffs were amazing, some of the fried tapas were a little bland and heavy, so I'd recommend keeping it fresh and non-fried. Also had a hard time picking a wine considering they are from the Med - no CA wines, so maybe expand the wine list a bit if you want people to chance buying a bottle. The waiter was helpful when we described our type of wine. I'd recommend this place - very hip, lively scene!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- loved it less than usualkatnapDined on 9/24/2014First, I love this restaurant. It's beautiful, fun, sophisticated. Our server (very tall guy with glasses) was excellent. I ding it a star because my favorite dish, the horta salad, had way too much lemon juice on it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love ZKootenaiDined on 9/24/2014Every time I go to DC, I try to go to Z. ANd, this last time, I even got to meet Jose ANdres!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great sample for restaurant weekTrave4foodDined on 9/24/2014I was not aware it was Restaurant Week when I stopped in for lunch with a friend. When I saw the courses on offer for $18, I had to give it a try and it was well worth it. The waiter was very helpful and solicitous. The hummus waa delicious especially with the special bread they provided for the table. A wonderful treat that I look forward to repeating on my next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!!Fit4aKingDined on 9/23/2014I chose to surprise my girlfriend with dinner here after a long day's work. I showed up with an Uber black car to her workplace which wisked us away to Zaytinya. She visited your restaurant before, years ago, and could not stop raving about how much she loved it. Therefore, I decided what better place to surprise her, than this. The servers were extremely knowledgeable and staff did not forget about us, which was refreshing. We sat in the upper section in a quiet corner and service remained prompt. The wines were superb and matched perfectly with our lamb, shrimp, and chicken dishes. The chicken soup and roasted red pepper spread were outstanding. I cannot wait to return. I thank you for the wonderful experience. Everything was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 3.5 starsDktran31VIPDined on 9/23/20143.5 stars, Went here for Turkish restaurant week. 5 courses-$30 each. The place was very busy and a lot larger than I expected. They have a decent amount of seating outside, a large bar inside & 2 floors. Sound level is high. My date and I had a lot of dishes that I won't even try to spell. There was a chicken salad type of appetizer which was pretty good. I liked the fried mussels, lamb kebab and other lamb dish. The pizza thing and chickpea salad dish were not that good. Chickpeas were hard and not easy to eat. The chocolate coffee cake and Turkish delight deserts were pretty good. I guess I had high expectations for the place since it is one of Jose Andres' flagships. Maybe I will stop by for a regular meal to reconsider my rating.Special Features:
- Food > wineOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/23/2014Food is wonderful, but I wish the wine list had at least a few California, French, Italian, or other familiar wines. The wines I've tried here from Greece, etc. are just not very good.Special Features:
- A WonderTonyDined on 9/23/2014A MUST VISIT dinner venue in the heart of Washington DC for foodies. The restaurant is a stellar place, and the food is magnificent. Every item I selected from the menu was incredibly pleasing and delightful. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- A great experience!TsuzanaDined on 9/23/2014It was a great experience in the turkish week. The service is great, end the ambience is exepcional!!!! Recomend!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very UnsatisfactoryfoodloverDined on 9/23/2014The die for home made bread, was not warm, it was hard and not the what it used to be. The fried mussels very insipid, the adena Kabab the same. This place use to be on the top on my list to dine at . It's really gone down rapidly. The service was really slow, took 20 minutes to serve first course and 20 minutes thereafter for the subsequent ones. I had to tell them to hurry up with the 3rd and 4th course. Really disappointed- I went for the Turkish restaurant week. I had fallen in love with this place but unfortunately both the service and food was lacking its previous charm.
- Always goodCeasarDined on 9/22/2014Never disappointed. Food, service and great times! This time we enjoyed the DC Restaurant week and the menu got great choices.Special Features:
- Does not disappointJdurpleDined on 9/22/2014Great food. Nice patio. Ate here two nights in a row. 'Nuff said.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent every time!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/21/2014I have dined here multiple times and the food and service are top notch. There are many different dishes to try and perfect for sharing so the palate is very pleased. The staff is very attentive and check in often. I would strongly recommend this restaurant and look forward to many future visits!Special Features:
- Great Mediterranean FoodChrisVIPDined on 9/21/2014Being partial for Mediterranean cuisine, Zaytinya was a natural choice and must say it is one of the finest Mediterranean restaraunts I have been to. Small plates allow the opportunity to try many dishes and share. The lamb, grilled shrimp, butternut squash, and brussel sprouts were all delicious. Actually each plate we ordered was fabulous. The atmosphere was relaxed and service was attentive. Would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Zaytinya great for foodVASFfanDined on 9/21/2014My wife and I agreed the food at Zaytinya was wonderful. We especially liked the shrimp, watermelon salad, and red pepper dip. The restaurant also has a wide range of Greek, Turkish, and Lebanese wines, both by the glass and the bottle. I like to think I'm fairly knowledgeable about wine, but in the fast few months I've really just begun learning about Greek and middle-Eastern wines. The wide array of selections by the glass gave me a chance to sample a variety of native grapes from Greece. The service was fine, though at times it was difficult to get the waiter's attention. I wouldn't call the environment "romantic" or "exciting" but it was very comfortable. Overall, I would strongly recommend Zaytinya.Special Features:
- Wonderful experienceRVSTDined on 9/21/2014Went here for lunch recently and was blown away by the choices in the menu. As vegetarians, we usually have slim pickings and struggle to find a handful of dishes to share among us (family of 4) but the choices here were so wide, we had a hard time making up our minds and over-ordered! Service was a bit slow but it was a beautiful day and sitting outdoors we didn't really mind the pace at which the food was served. Will definitely go here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food But Too BusySamKDined on 9/20/2014We had great food at Zaytinya, however, on a Saturday night this restaurant was very crowded and the service suffered as a result. They were out of two of their recommended wines and one person in our party did not receive their meal until well after everyone else (we had to remind the waiter twice). If you go at a slightly quieter time, I'm sure this Zaytinya would have be an overall much better experience.
- ZaytinyasyaelDined on 9/20/2014Food remains fantastic and the service, once you're seated, is attentive and helpful. But making you wait 1/2-hour despite having reservations is the perfect path to discovering that you're no longer on the Best of DC restaurant list.Special Features:
- Better if you know the systemtravelsplenty21042Dined on 9/20/2014I took a group of 8 as something different for our out of town guests. The waiter was not very helpful in educating us as to how we should order to maximize the experience-despite my queries;. We begged for water and never got a soda refill. We were uninitiated so we wound up with some people feasting while others left hungry. All the entrees were tasty but tiny-tapas style. The shrimp dish and the meatballs were very good -the mussels good but small. Due to the group size it was not easy to add plates when we saw what was happening. As the host I was disappointed since I was trying to do something very nice for guests which turned out to be mediocre. I would go back but would order differently.Special Features:
- Wonderful placeRJsMomDined on 9/20/2014A friend and I visited Zatinya to celebrate our birthdays and we were not disappointed. The service and good were excellent. We were fortunate enough to visit when they had their Turkish pre-fixe menu and we left more than satisfied. It got VERY busy so it's best to make reservations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.