701 9th St NW
Washington, DC 20001Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.zaytinya.com/
- Phone: (202) 638-0800
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday and Monday: 11:30 am to 10:00 pm
Tuesday–Thursday: 11:30 am to 11:00 pm
Friday and Saturday: 11:30 am to Midnight
Brunch:Saturday & Sunday 11:30 am until 3:00 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Turkish, Greek
- Executive Chef: Executive Chef José Andrés; Zaytinya Head Chef, Michael Costa
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering on a whole new level José Andrés Catering elevates catering and event planning to new heights in the Washington, DC area and beyond. Now you can experience the inspired creations of celebrated chef José Andrés at your own party or venue. Visit us for more information at www.joseandrescatering.com, or call us at (301) 913-0003.
- Private Party Facilities: Zaytinya is the perfect place for your next event. We have a number of large spaces, intimate coves, and dramatic communal tables to accommodate any size and type of event or group dining big or small. ,
- Private Party Contact: Events@zaytinya.com 2026380202x
- Special Events: Please visit our website and sign up for our mailing list to receive the latest information and updates on special events at Zaytinya
A word from Zaytinya
Under the direction of renowned chef José Andrés, Zaytinya offers an innovative mezze menu inspired by Turkish, Greek and Lebanese cuisines served up in a sleek and modern setting. Shared small plates, creative cocktails and unique Mediterranean wines make this spot one of DC’s top dining destinations.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMediterranean
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Zaytinya - Best Restaurants in Penn Quarter ›
Zaytinya reviews from OpenTable diners
1270 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (952)good for groups (566)hot spot (526)special occasion (507)great for outdoor dining (384)great for lunch (336)neighborhood gem (277)vibrant bar scene (275)romantic (227)notable wine list (202)great for brunch (106)late-night find (96)kid-friendly (55)scenic view (33)Show More
- a favorite!MarisaVIPDined on 11/24/2014We love this place and will continue to enjoy special occasions and nights out here. Thanks for another great meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impressed overallSweetSoulaDined on 11/24/2014Zatinya was delicious. Services was a little slow to begin with but ended up being very attentive after we flagged them down. Food was delicious, cocktails were creative. Overall, an excellent dinner spot. I will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Zaytinia greatFoodismylifeDined on 11/23/2014Seating could be better. I requested seating away from the door because of wind and they seated us right under air condotioner vent; however, they corrected it quickly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- portion adjustmentOpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 11/23/2014..salads portion too small. bar.ely fit one person. (tabouleh/fetoosh). at least provide sizes option so we can order bigger size.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was offSteveDined on 11/23/2014The food as usual was excellent, but the service was inconsistent. The server bringing the food was prompt and seemed to know just when to bring a few more plates, but when it came to ordering, or perhaps considering to get a few more items during the meal, as well as dessert and coffee, it seemed to take for ever. I am gong to chalk it off to the fact that it was mid-afternoon and perhaps during a shift change.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blown awayslc16Dined on 11/22/2014Choose the Chef's Experience! Hands down it was the most unique and amazing meal my friends and I have had in recent memory. I couldn't pick a favorite; each dish was just as good or better than the next. Don't pass by the chance to dine at Zaytinya!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!EmaclaughlinDined on 11/22/2014We loved every single thing we tried, from the cocktails to the dessert. Our waitress had great recommendations and the service was extremely quick despite there being a hockey game that night and the restaurant being very busy. Recommend the chocolate/rose ice cream dessert and the chicken orzo mezze!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstanding service and foodDisappointingVIPDined on 11/22/2014Kayla did a fabulous job with all the food.We started out with a flat bread then had several veggies including our favorite brussell sprouts which you must try.scallops were also a big hit and be sure to leave room for the Apple dessert. Great place for friends to try new thingsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Place for MezzesRichardDined on 11/22/2014We had a wonderful dinner before heading to a Caps game. Service was top notch and the server was able to answer all of our questions and provide some great recommendations. Plan on sharing 5 to 6 mezzes (small plates). The Htipiti, Crispy Brussels Afelia and Sea Scallops were wonderful. The wine list is representative of the Mediterranean area, but a little pricey. We were able to find a wine from a winery that we had visited in Santorini during a trip last summer. All in all a great experience and we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/22/2014I had no idea that this was a Jose Andres restaurant, but was very impressed with the food quality and flavors. All the elaboration and preparation of the dishes was perfect. Couldn't ask for more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GorgeousdrgetulioDined on 11/22/2014The restaurant is beautiful, with a great location. I have tasted the Cheff´s menu and it was perfect. A great choice for romantic ocasions or when you want to just eat something different.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So Great!JRJRDined on 11/21/2014Went with 4 friends, and all of us exclaimed over multiple dishes. My particular favorites were the seasonal mushrooms and braised lamb shank. The staff were all wonderfully attentive the whole night and really turned the great meal into an overall excellent experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing experienceNickDined on 11/20/2014We went here for our celebration of my husband passing his board exam. Our waitress Shelby treated us brilliantly with our full chefs and beverage experience. Would recommend to anyone coming to DC for a special night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was fabulous.anneVIPDined on 11/20/2014I eat frequently at Jaleo's and not nearly as frequently at Zaytina's as I would like Having just come fro Spain where small plates are the style, it is the way to eat. Zaytina's is the epitome of good small plates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Continuing service excellencePAIACDined on 11/20/2014The service at this restaurant has always been top-notch. A recent mid-week visit for dinner was no exception. The tables are always full here, but the waitstaff stays on top of multiple mezze plates, never leaves wine or water glasses empty, and takes time to answer questions without seeming rushed to get to their next table. There are many great things about this restaurant, but I rank the excellent service as truly the best in this city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding ServiceRD27Dined on 11/19/2014I came here to celebrate an out-of-town friend's birthday and we had one of the best waiters I've ever had at a restaurant. He was very knowledgeable and really made you excited to dine at Zaytinya! The cocktails and dishes were works of art and delicious. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TravisDined on 11/18/2014Great food, decent service. We had a reservation for four that was not ready when we arrived at our allotted time, but was still a wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MeganFDined on 11/18/2014Fantastic food - As always, Jose does a great job with making slight changes to traditional dishes that yield great tasting food! The ￼Turkish Style Pastirma - cured beef wrapped around apricot - was amazing. The Turkish storm is my new favorite cocktail - can't wait to try and re-create it at home!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kebab platter great for a groupopentablefanVIPDined on 11/18/2014Always have a great experience at Zaytinya. The Brussel sprouts and squid in particular are really good. Loved the lamb and chicken kebab platter; so moist and tasty. What made this meal stand out, however, was the service. It was already pretty busy when I arrived at 5:30 for a 6:30 reservation that my party of 6 -- all arriving at different times -- were hoping to push up to 6:00. The host was so gracious, and even came to the bar to find us to seat us as soon as he could. It was great to be seated at a round table at the back - still bustling but perfect for a party of 6 so we could hear each other. And our waitress was terrific - she knew how to advise on wine and help guide me for ordering for our group. Finally, two of the women at the front desk were so swamped but so pleasant about retrieving our coats (it took a couple of tries to get the right ones -but it worked out!) I'll go to Zaytinya again and again for the great food, and now look forward to the great service, too. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our Favorite in DCOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/18/2014Wonderful as always. Favorite for us. And a place we love to bring our clients. Service is wonderful and food divine. Humus is great. Bread to die for. Family platter is a hit for all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/18/2014Outstanding. I am leaving the area and this is a place I am going to miss tremendously.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great experienceRedFishFanDined on 11/18/2014This is third time that I have been to Zaytinya, and it was a wonderful experience. The food was perfect, the dining area is pleasant and vibrant, and the service was great. I can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SaltyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/18/2014All three entrees we ordered were really over salted and this is coming from someone who nearly always asks for salt. The tiny pies though were delicious and not over salted.
- Waited for 3/4 of an hour even with reservationOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/17/2014We had a reservation for 8:45 pm, which I confirmed by phone in the morning. We arrived at 8:15 and let them know we were there. No room at the bar to wait, so we stood around and we're not even offered a menu to browse. Several other groups that arrived after us who also had 8:45 reservations were seated before us. We were finally seated by 9:30 at a cold, drafty table. The wait staff was very apologetic and did provided free appetizers while we ordered and waited for our food, which was nice. However I filled up on those because I was famished so the actual food was not enjoyable. I had the hummus with lamb and the mushroom, which were nothing special. The olives and baba ganoush were very good. Overall the wait was definitely not worth the experience. I was disappointed after all the rave reviews. Much prefer Boquaria for small plate fair!
- Great business dinnerSSDenverDined on 11/17/2014The sampler is totally worth the $55 per person. An incredible amount of food for the table as well as an assortment of dessert. Obviously, make sure everyone is OK sharing food. Also, we had a party of 6 and some items came out in 4's and 3's -- but the main items were indeed in 6's. Anyway, one of the best restaurants I've been to ever (echoed by coworkers from Paris, etc).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisier and NoisierMarylandScribblerVIPDined on 11/17/2014We've been to Zaytina many times. We love the food and service. The noise level, not so much. In fact, the racket Monday night (Monday, of all nights!!!) in the jammed restaurant was so oppressive that we will seriously consider not returning. We sat near the rotisserie and conversation was nearly impossible. The overall effect seriously dampened our enjoyment; we wanted to converse and could not hear each other without shouting, which is not what one wants to do at dinner. Oyamel gets the same way. When does "vibrancy" escalate to unbearable din? The answer is at Happy Hour and into the evenings at these restaurants. Please, please, please do something about this so we can continue to enjoy your restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful as always but noisyLatOcnsdDined on 11/17/2014Zaytinya is one of my favorite places in Downtown DC. The food is WONDERFUL, so many flavors and the small tapas style is perfect for large groups or people with varied tastes--everyone will find something great here..and the service just super. they keep the table clean and are very efficient and friendly. Also they go out of their way to serve you. We had a reservation (which is a must or the wait is huge) but it was running late because the previous party 'was hanging in there" but the Zaytinya kept track and then even provided a couple of dishes "on the house" to make up for our wait..a very nice touch. I recommend this place to anyone looking for something different but wonderful. One can eat a half a dozen things, yet not feel "overfed", but rather "just right". Great food and again, the desserts are also wonderful and I'd recommend trying at least three of them!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/17/2014There seemed to be a problem with getting most of our choices from the lunch menu. First item, hummus, came quickly, had to speak with waiter on the others. And one of the lamb dishes was too rare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was a business lunch.JahnnieVIPDined on 11/17/2014Everyone was pleased with the food, service and noise level. Zaytina's is a happening place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food. Lazy service.OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/17/2014I eat at Zaytinya fairly regularly. The food is consistently excellent. Unfortunately, the service has been going down hill. We had lunch there on Monday. We had to flag down our waiter for everything -- including menus and just ordering our meal. Prompt service is particularly important during lunch service since many folks need to get back to work. Our meal took nearly two hours, which seems excessive. Zaytinya needs to step it up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Conference Meet-upOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 11/16/2014Came here w/ a friend when we were both in town for a conference. Zaytinya is conveniently located in Chinatown right by the metro station. It was a crowded night, but we were seated quickly at a nice table by the window. The pita was amazing and worked well w/ all of our tapas. Sizing was great. Between the two of us, we ordered 4 and were stuffed at the end. Timing for delivering the dishes was also well done; we were never w/o food, but our table wasn't overcrowded w/ food either. Overall, Zaytinya remains one of my favorite DC places and I'd take a friend here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rasselasDined on 11/16/2014Excellent food--the best baba ganoush I've ever eaten. The service was superb. I've eaten here three times and will go back again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food great drinksBardenBellaVIPDined on 11/16/2014The food was amazing and super flavorful. The drinks and the Greek wine were memorable bc I've never had wine from that region and I will definitely put these sorts of wines for consideration moving forward. The deserts and coffee were the only downfall. Turkish coffee = thick gas flavored concoction. Rose flavored ice cream with chocolate = meh. Overall though the meats, the veggies, the sauces were a party for my palate!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Finest Greek Food in TownChrisVIPDined on 11/16/2014Just fabulous. My wife and I had the Chef's tasting menu. We shared 9 different dishes and each was an explosion of flavors, tectures, and aromas. Pace of meal was just right with a couple plates being delivered every 20 minutes or so. Service was top flight. Atmosphere is casual. Be forwarned, the restaurant was beyond energetic. It was very loud and sometime difficult to hear my wife who was sitting directly across from me.Special Features:
- FantsticCrazeeebabyVIPDined on 11/15/2014The food is fantastic and I love the small dishes. Wine and service is the best too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Chef ExperienceLindaDined on 11/15/2014My husband and I had the chef experience for dinner and drinks. We both enjoyed it very much. The good was delicious and the service very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014My husband and I dined here with our 4 year old daughter for my birthday. We were immediately greeted, and seated and our server Christoph was very friendly and helpful. The atmosphere was a nice warm buzzing - very suitable to have a comfortable dinner with our daughter. The staff was attentive and polite, and interacted with our daughter as well - which made if fun for us. We were recommended the brussel sprouts - and although we normally do not eat them - this selection was outstanding. Everything including the drinks and desserts were outstanding. We enjoyed a variety of selections that we shared, and it was an enjoyable experience for us. We would highly recommend to anyone to share this experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingKS2002Dined on 11/15/2014I just adore Zaytinya. Great food, great location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant except dealing with the frontdeskKM76Dined on 11/15/2014I have been here many times and always the food has been exceptionally good and so is the service at the table. But like earlier times my experience with the front desk staff is very disappointing. We were meeting another family for lunch and the reservation was under my name. We were first to reach so I checked in with the front desk and told them that we were waiting for our friends at the bar. It was lunch hour and there were very few guests in the restaurant and so I believe that it wouldn't have been that difficult for the front desk staff to take note of the fact that we were waiting for our friends at the bar. Within few minutes the other couple walked in and checked with the front desk staff whether we were there or not....the response they received was " yes they are here somewhere but we don't know where". My friend's cell phone was acting up and so she was not able to text me that they had arrived nor did she receive my messages. We were waiting at the bar thinking that they should be around soon...after about 15-20 mins of waiting we decided to check again with the front desk staff and I saw my friend waiting right there!!! Considering that we had specifically mentioned to the front desk staff that we are at the bar and also the fact that they did know we had arrived at the restaurant moreover, there were very few guests at the time I think this was a bit too much for them to have my friend simply wait there and not even make an effort to either locate us or to remember a talk that happened five minutes ago!!! Zaytinya is a superb restaurant and we have always enjoyed dinning there except for the fact that dealing with the front desk staff is not a pleasant experience!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great inexpensive food for expensive appealfoodloverDined on 11/14/2014such a great place for any event (except kids). It fits for all ages from college student to mid level career person. our service was amazing and food was even better. all time hit list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.