701 9th St NW
Washington, DC 20001Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.zaytinya.com/
- Phone: 2026380800x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday and Monday: 11:30 am to 10:00 pm
Tuesday–Thursday: 11:30 am to 11:00 pm
Friday and Saturday: 11:30 am to Midnight
Brunch:Saturday & Sunday 11:30 am until 3:00 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Turkish, Greek
- Executive Chef: Executive Chef José Andrés; Zaytinya Head Chef, Michael Costa
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering on a whole new level José Andrés Catering elevates catering and event planning to new heights in the Washington, DC area and beyond. Now you can experience the inspired creations of celebrated chef José Andrés at your own party or venue. Visit us for more information at www.joseandrescatering.com, or call us at (301) 913-0003.
- Private Party Facilities: Zaytinya is the perfect place for your next event. We have a number of large spaces, intimate coves, and dramatic communal tables to accommodate any size and type of event or group dining big or small. ,
- Private Party Contact: Events@zaytinya.com 2026380202x
- Special Events: Please visit our website and sign up for our mailing list to receive the latest information and updates on special events at Zaytinya
A word from Zaytinya
Under the direction of renowned chef José Andrés, Zaytinya offers an innovative mezze menu inspired by Turkish, Greek and Lebanese cuisines served up in a sleek and modern setting. Shared small plates, creative cocktails and unique Mediterranean wines make this spot one of DC’s top dining destinations.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMediterranean
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Zaytinya - Best Restaurants in Penn Quarter ›
Zaytinya reviews from OpenTable diners
1310 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (924)special occasion (572)good for groups (530)great for outdoor dining (488)hot spot (473)great for lunch (380)neighborhood gem (296)vibrant bar scene (283)romantic (245)notable wine list (197)great for brunch (156)late-night find (109)kid-friendly (78)scenic view (53)Show More
- Gluten FriendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/31/2014Another fabulous meal. And this time, despite the showstopping warm pita bread, great accommodation for the gluten free diner in our group.Special Features:
- Totally enjoyable!AmyGDined on 8/31/2014Our family enjoyed sharing a variety of mezze plates, each one unique and delicious. Our waitress was very helpful in recommending dishes and drinks. The food was served in an on-going manner that allowed us to experience each dish. We would definitely go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but NoisyJimBDined on 8/31/2014We have not been to Zaytinya for many years and were startled to find it so noisy. We recalled a peaceful decor and apparently there has been some redecoration and possibly additional seating, all contributing to a less pleasant atmosphere. Nevertheless, the food was just as good as we remembered and we probably will return for a Sunday brunch, when hopefully it will be quieter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/31/2014Had wanted to dine here for quite some time and we were not disappointed. We visited on Sunday for lunch and were pleasantly surprised to see entire families eating together, along with the regular mix of Washington DC crowd. The food was fresh, delicious and beautifully prepared. We loved sharing all of the 'little' dishes! Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable FoodBlackhawkDined on 8/31/2014Zaytinya has earned its high ratings by many formal food critics. It specializes in small plates and every one was a delightful surprise. If a person wants to taste the top end of Lebanese/Mediterranean food, this is the place to start. The superb service and ambiance matched the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT SERVICE & FOODOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/30/2014Our waitress Nikina was phenomenal. Very unique dining experience with small plates. This is a very popular and busy restaurant so you must get a reservation to avoid a long wait. Very good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/30/2014I have been to Zaytinya many times and the service, food and ambiance are always excellent. Definitely make a reservation, as the restaurant is very popular, especially when there is an event at the Verizon Center.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food, great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/30/2014Small plates of wonderful food. The Brussels sprouts are very good and don't miss the octopus. We ate outside on the large patio. Our server was very knowledgable about the menu and eager to help us make our selections. Just a block from Gallery Place metro stopSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Zaytinya: Delish, Fun. Just GO!JuneOfBostonDined on 8/29/2014Zaytinia is always a highlight of our annual visits to Washington D.C. Combines the best of fresh & of Middle Eastern flavors & somehow reinvents just about everything, from the often-mundane-elsewhere basics [hummus, tzatziki] to completely original creations. The small-plates format makes sampling multiple flavors a no-brainer, too. You'll be delighted and leave happy. Difficult to describe: wonderful to find out for yourself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service!GalflanDined on 8/29/2014Excellent vibe! The only complaint was that airconditioning was so cold!Special Features:
- Wonderful Dinner ExperienceRobertDined on 8/29/2014We had been looking for a DC area small plates restaurant and were delighted sometime ago to discover Zaytinya. The food and service have been outstanding during our visits. My wife is a vegetarian and Zaytinya is important to us because it offers so many tasty choices for her. I prefer lamb when eating out and the lamb choices are outstanding as well. We will keep coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good tapas with noiseDenSDined on 8/29/2014Caught unaware that this was tapas, but the food is good, the service was excellent. Thought the portions small for the price--albeit tapas--, and hassle of multiple orders both enchanting and annoying.... Appointment for 5:30, and noise ok to begin, but the time we left at around 7 the noise made conversation among folks in their 60's to 90's arduous.. the place on this sAturday night was packed.... Would reasonably recommend to others, but would not necessarily hurry back.... Kebob's were good, but there are other places better.Special Features:
- food experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014Food was okay, portions were too small. The taste was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014I took my boyfriend there for his birthday as a surprise (this was a first for both of us) and the waiter was very knowledgeable about the menu and drinks. He made us feel comfortable. The atmosphere was nothing short of incredible and the food was AMAZING!!! We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always greatOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/27/2014This restaurant never disappoints. I enjoy the menu, the food is always fresh and well prepared and the wait staff is attentive and helpful.Special Features:
- SublimeBuddhaDined on 8/27/2014Excellent as always. It is what we have come to expect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique and delicious for lunchDrLydiaGrayVIPDined on 8/27/2014Zaytinya is great for lunch -- lots of interesting combinations of tapas, hot fresh bread on your table fast, quick service and a great atmosphere. And now they take lunch reservations so you can be sure to have a table for your group.Special Features:
- Consistently SuperbAG1of3VIPDined on 8/25/2014Zaytinya's remains one of the best dining experiences in DC. Don't miss it.Special Features:
- Delicious mealKsparicoVIPDined on 8/25/2014Great lunch sitting outside with perfect weather and great food. The Lamb Kleftiko was amazing. Service great by David.Special Features:
- Excellent!ArchergirlDined on 8/24/2014Zaytinya has impeccable food, service, and ambiance. I would recommend them to anyone who wants an amazing dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- IndiancharmDined on 8/24/2014The wait time was a little slow for bread a drinks and the food was a bit cold.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediterranean GemRocket007Dined on 8/24/2014Our hotel (George) highly recommended this restaurant and it did not disappoint. We had a great waiter that was very helpful and informative. The food was absolutely delicious, with lots of flavour! Keep in mind that it is small portions - mezze size so you pick as many dishes you wish to sample. Nice warm pita to accompany your choices. If you are looking for a quiet restaurant this is not for you. It is very busy and with that in mind comes lots of noise, and the bustling of the open kitchen. Would definitely recommend for those who want great food!Special Features:
- Zaytinya always PleasesSusanVIPDined on 8/24/2014The food at Zaytinya is always wonderful and the service outstanding. The service is so good that we had to hang onto our dishes which were not quite finished when the roaming kitchen staff attempted to remove them from the table. The constant procession of fresh hot dipping bread (perfect for the htipiti) is just one of the highlights of dining at Zaytinya. The two lamb dishes were succulent and tender, the crisp brussel sprouts outstanding and the Summer Grilled vegetables perfect in every way. Chilled Greek rose wine was perfect with this meal.Special Features:
- Best Mediterranean Food!JRL7VIPDined on 8/24/2014Everything that I ate at Zaytinya was excellent! I enjoyed the "small plate" menu because it allowed me to try many different optionsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AppreciativeDinerDined on 8/24/2014Very fine outdoor terrace for dining. Lots of excellent and unusual small dishes on the menu, very well executed. Very good service. Accommodated the special needs of one of our party. Lots of good vegetarian choices. Greek and Middle-Eastern wine selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really great placeDaniDined on 8/24/2014We went there for lunch. the food was great the service was great. Highly recommended!
- Always a Crowd-PleaserDCVegetarianFoodieDined on 8/23/2014Every visit to Zaytinya is a five-star experience! This neighborhood gem has turned into The Place that I take people to when they're visiting from out of town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My fiancee loves itNickandChristinaDined on 8/23/2014I love Zaytinya's. The portions are just right. Great environment and awesome tasting food. I absolutely love the scallops and the lamb chops. mmmmmhhhmmm Yummy! I will come back again and again and again! ***** 10 Stars*****Special Features:
- First visit of hopefully many more.LST29Dined on 8/23/2014I'm from out of town but any time I'm in DC I will try to visit. Loved the food, the various wines and cocktails, and the ambiance. I've eaten Mediterranean food through the years in many restaurants in many cities in the US and other countries, but this was very special.Special Features:
- kattomDined on 8/23/2014I always have a great time at Zaytinya. We were there during restaurant week. The food and the the service are excellent. All the vegetable and salad dishes are very good. I like the chicken kabob. The lamb kabob is a little salty.Special Features:
- waiter- PaulPaulBVIPDined on 8/23/2014I told Paul I had a nut allergy. He took careful attention to tell me what had nuts. He even checked with the chef on every item on the menu. He made our evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Zaytinyafood4thoughtDined on 8/22/2014Consistently excellent and thoughtful food. I have recommended this place to many friends. My favorite place in DC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/22/2014We were visiting D.C for the first time and we were blown away by this place. The food was delicious, the view outside was awesome and the serving sizes were perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Iffy ServiceenjoylifeDined on 8/22/2014We love Zatinya and will be back. That said, the service can be a bit rough. We waited a few minutes for our reserved table and were seated. We were starving and eagerly waited for the famous pita bread and to order drinks. Admittedly our fault, we were not ready with our drink choices when our waiter came over a couple minutes after we were seated and so he said he would return in a couple of minutes... time passed, no waiter appeared, bread was delivered to every other table, and we sat staring jealousy at the table next who received 3 servings of bread before our first. We were finally waited on by a lovely waitress we were handed off to but I was disappointed that no one told us. Still the Chocolate Rose dessert made up for it. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!AnonymousVIPDined on 8/22/2014Worth the trip up towards the capital! This place was amazing and two of our party required gluten-free food and were thrilled to receive special menus and attention from the waitstaff who were knowledgeable and very nice. The food was delicious, everything was absolutely fresh and authentic. Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Food was okayantvaVIPDined on 8/22/2014We usually have good experiences here, but the food was bland and very average this trip. Our waitress was great, but could have been better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, so-so serviceKittyDined on 8/22/2014Food was excellent as expected...brussel sprouts and lamb dishes fantastic. We had the four course lunch. Problem was service...two courses brought at the same time made for a very crowded table for two when bread, olive oil dip, beverage glasses, etc. were on the table. We were seated at a table for two though there were plenty of empty tables for four during the hour we were there. The busboy started clearing our dishes before we were finished...felt very rushed and uncomfortable. He continued hovering even though outside seating was not crowded...perhaps his shift was ending? Good food needs time to be savored...slow down waitstaff/servers.Special Features:
- Fabulous findTraceyDined on 8/22/2014This was my second time at Zaytinya, and once again, the food was amazing, the service was top notch and the ambiance was great. I would highly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:
- Great DC stapleOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/22/2014Zaytinya continues to be one of the restaurants you can count on for delicious food and good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!foodforthoughtDined on 8/21/2014Perfect dinner and wonderful service made for a great birthday celebration! Food was excellent and a well-informed server helped us make terrific selections. Loved the bronzino, lentil patties, falafal and haoulumi cheese. We will definitely be back!Special Features: