Zax Restaurant & Bar
312 Barton Springs Rd
Austin, TX 78704Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Zax Restaurant & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.zaxaustin.com/
- Phone: 5124810100
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 6:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 6:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Jeffrey Lynd
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Zax Restaurant & Bar
Casual American Bistro setting. Featuring 20 beers on tap, elegant wine list and a full bar.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Zax Restaurant & Bar - Best Restaurants in Central Austin ›
Zax Restaurant & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
60 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (26)great for lunch (25)fit for foodies (24)great for brunch (22)good for groups (18)special occasion (12)great for outdoor dining (7)notable wine list (6)romantic (6)late-night find (5)vibrant bar scene (4)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (2)hot spot (2)Show More
- Nice ExperiencerichpDined on 10/4/2014Went to Zax's before a play and during ACL and a UT home game. Was not crowded, thankfully. Good food and very good service as the restaurant was not bustling and the waitress appeared to enjoy making her customers experience a pleasant meal. Food is good, as in past visits...a little on the pricey side for the ambience. Overall, a pleasant and nice experience.Special Features:
- If you want good food this is whereDrAlDined on 9/27/2014Great place for a great meal and great drinks before a show at the Long CenterSpecial Features:
- Great brunchAprilDined on 9/21/2014I enjoyed concocting my own Bloody Mary for the first time.Special Features:
- Zax is solid, but not outstandingSunshinationDined on 9/20/2014Zax is a great place for a pint, and is trying to be upscale with food, but the food is just ok. The service is great - very responsive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as UsualLynJDined on 9/12/2014Zax is a great place to go before a concert or show at the Long Center. It is convenient with a wide variety of delicious food. The service is fast and courteous.Special Features:
- Solidly goodCathcamVIPDined on 9/6/2014I can't remember how many times I've been to Zax, it is always good food. Depending on when you visit it can be half empty, don't let that put you off, the food is always good and the service on par with the best. I can be totatly overbooked when there are big performances and shows on at the Long Center, if you arrive 30-mins after the start thats often a great time to be seated. Check show times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Remarkable Food & Great SettingCC22Dined on 8/29/2014Zax has a great location on Barton Springs. We came in, got our reservation, and the wait staff was so friendly and kind! They helped with our orders, game recommendations, and we really enjoyed their hard work. The food is amazing (try the bruschetta), the beer/wine list was great, and the overall feel was very cozy/romantic/intimate. Thanks for a great night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but noise was terribleOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/28/2014Food was delicious, service was terrific, but it was so noisy we couldn't talk.Special Features:
- It's good, but expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014We were pretty surprised that ordering rounds of apps and a couple of drinks cost as much as it did ($300), for what it is. But everything is good. Not great, but good. The restaurant was empty when we arrived at 6 pm on a Saturday, and there was plenty of parking. It was filling up as we left, but the place is spacious, good for groups.Special Features:
- DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014Really good food. All the specials were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place for a good mealLoveToEatDined on 8/11/2014Had a great meal and the staff was excellent. The food was very good, quick service. Have been back a couple of times and it is always very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was great, service was lackingdeanneDined on 8/2/2014The food was really good. They didn't short food you except for the Scallop dish which only had 3 scallops on the plate. The service was lacking. It was slow and she got our order wrong and forgot to bring dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful BrunchPattyVIPDined on 7/20/2014I have eaten at this location before, but never for brunch! Great food, great service and wonderful location. The eggs benedict was great but you MUST HAVE the banana nut bread french toast! WOW!Special Features:
- OK but not greaturbanchowboy49Dined on 7/18/2014We were there on a Friday night around 8 pm. Were seated in an alcove far from kitchen, bar, restrooms, etc - in a large joint of 150+(?) inside seats, < 10 guests in the place, 4 out on the patio. We were isolated, a view of the parking lot. Then all dinner guests left, another trio arrived and was seated by us. They smartly asked to move before service to a "normal spot" and were reseated. It's a nice BAR with food. It now has no overflow parking on its side of this busy street due to construction next door and only parks a dozen(?) vehicles - you do the math seats/parks. Food was OK not special. Price ok, Waiter fine, Kitchen So Slow, Hostess not trained. Grade C to C- experience. This place needs Restaurant Impossible 2BA winner!
- Enjoyable dinner!HungryInAustinDined on 7/17/2014Great food, great service! My wife had the lamb and loved it, and I had the seared sesame tuna with wasabi mashed potatoes and vegetables du jour. Biggest surprise was how fantastic the vegetables tasted - cooked just right! Wine bottle prices are reasonable too. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad it rained!StevenCVIPDined on 7/3/2014Family visit to Austin - stayed in South Congress area. It was a stormy night and we looked for a restuarant close by.... Zax was close and a GREAT find! Food was very good - I had Italian Sausage pasta - best ever. Others had pizza - all thought it excellent. Drinks menu interesting and varied. Try the beer flights or a table favorite, the French Kiss. Good evening - thank you!Special Features:
- The following 180 reviews are from the Zax Restaurant & Bar reviews archive.
- Very nice!OldSaltCityAceVIPDined on 6/24/2014A very enjoyable meal. I will be sure to return the next time I’m in the area.Special Features:
- Will return again!valannDined on 6/21/2014This is a great place in downtown. The service was great, décor was tasteful and upscale casual. The food and service was great. I had the Greek salad with Jerk Salmon. Fantastic. My partner had the Crab Louie which was great. Another couple had the pizza and they said it was delicious. We were not in a hurry and they graciously let us spend time visiting with friends from out of state. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food great but too noisy!operacremes2Dined on 6/20/2014We loved the food and the closeness to Long Center. However, the restaurant was so loud we could barely hear anyone else at our table. Still, we would return for the food and especially as a dining location when we're going to the Long Center. Fast service so we easily had dinner in an hour and on our way to our event. Parking lot is very small so arrive early and not at peak times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Ambience, Except NoisyFoodNerdDined on 6/20/2014Like every other place in town, Zax get's LOUD. It's a pretty, sunny restaurant with wood floors. I was impressed that they called the day before to confirm our resv. Parking can be a challenge. They have a nice fixed price Long Center menu for $35 (3 or 4 courses). We went at 5 PM before Hillary Clinton at 7. We were not allowed to order entrees in center column of menu until 6, which was a bit of a nasty surprise. Lasagna was OK - nice portion & nice sized accompanying salad. Lasagna could have been herbier & more seasoned - Brick Oven's is better.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedAustinRobDined on 6/18/2014I had such high expectations for this place. Surprisingly disappointed. Pizza was soggy and undercooked. Salad was medicore. Veggie burgers were dry. Like I said, I was expecting so much more. Great service and a cool vibe - maybe we just ordered all the wrong things.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/15/2014I have never been disappointed with a meal at Zax. The food and service is always great.Special Features:
- A Break in AustinOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/13/2014We loved the menu and the unusual drink specials. My wife had the fish special the waiter recommended and I tried the veggie burger. Both excellent choices.Special Features:
- Not so greatbunnyVIPDined on 6/11/2014Fried food was greasy and the fish was very fishy. The pizza was the best thing served but we were looking for a more gourmet experience.
- One of Favorites!LuvZaxDined on 6/4/2014Zax is one of favorite restaurants in Austin. I frequent Zax for lunch and enjoy introducing friends to the restaurant. Love the location, love the ambience and love the food menu.Special Features:
- Great Saturday Morning BrunchSnapDined on 5/17/2014Ate here for Saturday morning brunch. Great eggs Benedict, loved the cheese and olive platter and especially the Bloody Mary Bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Mother's Day BrunchSteveSDined on 5/11/2014Made reservations for four for Mother's Day and everyone had a great meal with no problems.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our Long Center ChoiceMaryinNWHillsDined on 5/11/2014This is hands down the best choice if you are going to the Long Center. The food is good and the service understands the theater crowd demands. This is our go-to restaurant before or after performances.Special Features:
- Upscale CasualOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014We always enjoy Zax because the service and food are always excellent and it has a the feel of a nice restaurant without any stuffiness. It's a great place for lunch or brunch and I appreciate the extensive beer list.Special Features:
- Always a special treat...AustinbeVIPDined on 5/9/2014Great food. Great service. Great ambience. A favorite for meSpecial Features:
- Zax is greatLynJDined on 5/3/2014Zax has a variety of great food. It is a perfect place for dinner before going to the opera or a show at the Long Center.Special Features:
- Before the Playsq46Dined on 4/24/2014Zax is my go-to place for a meal before a play, ballet or music event!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Placekim0304Dined on 4/20/2014The food was delicious! I had eggs Florentine, and the spinach and eggs were PERFECTLY cooked and fresh. I was very pleased.Special Features:
- Great find!JohnnyDVIPDined on 4/12/2014Zax is a new favorite in Austin for us. We celebrated our twin sons' 21st Birthday there this weekend and we could not have asked for a better experience. The service was perfect and the food was fantastic. We highly recommend this gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Waiter followed my requestOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/5/2014Waiter followed my request - no salt on butter on veggies. They were perfect!Special Features:
- ZAXGeorgeDined on 4/5/2014We were seated at a table for two. We had a reservation. We waited a long time before we received any service and when we did the server acted like she was doing us a favor. The food was good and the service improved while dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Before Long Center EventsPaulDined on 4/5/2014A great place to eat before going to a concert or other event at the Long Center. It is only a 5-minute walk. Tables are well-spaced, noise level is moderate, and there is a small patio. Blues Burger was very tasty and reasonably-priced. Pork Tenderloin dish was excellent too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice all around restaurantOzzieDined on 3/4/2014This is a great place for dinner or lunch before a Long Center performance. Staff are very efficient and polite. Food is very good. Décor is very "comfortable" for any occasion or dress.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good restaurant near Long'sOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/1/2014This is a good place to eat if you're going to Long's Performing Arts Center or Palmer Center. You can park and walk to Zax's. It's in a charming old Austin building and has outdoor seating. The menu has great variety and the beer selection is wonderful. The Sesame Crusted Tuna was really good and my husband loved his Veal Scallopini with Artichokes Hearts. The Ginger Creme Brulee is a superb dessert, enough for two if you're watching calories. I asked for my Tuna to be done medium rare instead of rare and it came out perfectly. The service is very good. We've eaten here twice and will definitely go back when we're in the neighborhood. Be sure and make a reservation if you are going to a popular event at the Centers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Zax is an excellent choiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/22/2014Zax is an excellent choice for dinner before a program at the Long Center. The food is consistently very good and so is the service. You park at the Long Center garage and it is only a short walk to Zax. Since you parked early, you have a parking spot that allows you to exit early from the garage.Special Features: