Zax Restaurant & Bar
312 Barton Springs Rd
Austin, TX 78704Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Zax Restaurant & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.zaxaustin.com/
- Phone: 5124810100
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 6:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 6:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Jeffrey Lynd
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Zax Restaurant & Bar
Casual American Bistro setting. Featuring 20 beers on tap, elegant wine list and a full bar.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Zax Restaurant & Bar - Best Restaurants in Central Austin ›
Zax Restaurant & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
60 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (32)great for brunch (27)neighborhood gem (24)fit for foodies (21)good for groups (19)special occasion (16)great for outdoor dining (9)kid-friendly (4)vibrant bar scene (4)romantic (4)hot spot (3)late-night find (3)scenic view (2)notable wine list (2)Show More
- Remarkable Food & Great SettingCC22Dined on 8/29/2014Zax has a great location on Barton Springs. We came in, got our reservation, and the wait staff was so friendly and kind! They helped with our orders, game recommendations, and we really enjoyed their hard work. The food is amazing (try the bruschetta), the beer/wine list was great, and the overall feel was very cozy/romantic/intimate. Thanks for a great night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but noise was terribleOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/28/2014Food was delicious, service was terrific, but it was so noisy we couldn't talk.Special Features:
- It's good, but expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014We were pretty surprised that ordering rounds of apps and a couple of drinks cost as much as it did ($300), for what it is. But everything is good. Not great, but good. The restaurant was empty when we arrived at 6 pm on a Saturday, and there was plenty of parking. It was filling up as we left, but the place is spacious, good for groups.Special Features:
- DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014Really good food. All the specials were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place for a good mealLoveToEatDined on 8/11/2014Had a great meal and the staff was excellent. The food was very good, quick service. Have been back a couple of times and it is always very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was great, service was lackingdeanneDined on 8/2/2014The food was really good. They didn't short food you except for the Scallop dish which only had 3 scallops on the plate. The service was lacking. It was slow and she got our order wrong and forgot to bring dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful BrunchPattyVIPDined on 7/20/2014I have eaten at this location before, but never for brunch! Great food, great service and wonderful location. The eggs benedict was great but you MUST HAVE the banana nut bread french toast! WOW!Special Features:
- OK but not greaturbanchowboy49Dined on 7/18/2014We were there on a Friday night around 8 pm. Were seated in an alcove far from kitchen, bar, restrooms, etc - in a large joint of 150+(?) inside seats, < 10 guests in the place, 4 out on the patio. We were isolated, a view of the parking lot. Then all dinner guests left, another trio arrived and was seated by us. They smartly asked to move before service to a "normal spot" and were reseated. It's a nice BAR with food. It now has no overflow parking on its side of this busy street due to construction next door and only parks a dozen(?) vehicles - you do the math seats/parks. Food was OK not special. Price ok, Waiter fine, Kitchen So Slow, Hostess not trained. Grade C to C- experience. This place needs Restaurant Impossible 2BA winner!
- Enjoyable dinner!HungryInAustinDined on 7/17/2014Great food, great service! My wife had the lamb and loved it, and I had the seared sesame tuna with wasabi mashed potatoes and vegetables du jour. Biggest surprise was how fantastic the vegetables tasted - cooked just right! Wine bottle prices are reasonable too. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad it rained!StevenCVIPDined on 7/3/2014Family visit to Austin - stayed in South Congress area. It was a stormy night and we looked for a restuarant close by.... Zax was close and a GREAT find! Food was very good - I had Italian Sausage pasta - best ever. Others had pizza - all thought it excellent. Drinks menu interesting and varied. Try the beer flights or a table favorite, the French Kiss. Good evening - thank you!Special Features:
- Will return again!valannDined on 6/21/2014This is a great place in downtown. The service was great, décor was tasteful and upscale casual. The food and service was great. I had the Greek salad with Jerk Salmon. Fantastic. My partner had the Crab Louie which was great. Another couple had the pizza and they said it was delicious. We were not in a hurry and they graciously let us spend time visiting with friends from out of state. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food great but too noisy!operacremes2Dined on 6/20/2014We loved the food and the closeness to Long Center. However, the restaurant was so loud we could barely hear anyone else at our table. Still, we would return for the food and especially as a dining location when we're going to the Long Center. Fast service so we easily had dinner in an hour and on our way to our event. Parking lot is very small so arrive early and not at peak times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Ambience, Except NoisyFoodNerdDined on 6/20/2014Like every other place in town, Zax get's LOUD. It's a pretty, sunny restaurant with wood floors. I was impressed that they called the day before to confirm our resv. Parking can be a challenge. They have a nice fixed price Long Center menu for $35 (3 or 4 courses). We went at 5 PM before Hillary Clinton at 7. We were not allowed to order entrees in center column of menu until 6, which was a bit of a nasty surprise. Lasagna was OK - nice portion & nice sized accompanying salad. Lasagna could have been herbier & more seasoned - Brick Oven's is better.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedAustinRobDined on 6/18/2014I had such high expectations for this place. Surprisingly disappointed. Pizza was soggy and undercooked. Salad was medicore. Veggie burgers were dry. Like I said, I was expecting so much more. Great service and a cool vibe - maybe we just ordered all the wrong things.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/15/2014I have never been disappointed with a meal at Zax. The food and service is always great.Special Features:
- A Break in AustinOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/13/2014We loved the menu and the unusual drink specials. My wife had the fish special the waiter recommended and I tried the veggie burger. Both excellent choices.Special Features:
- Not so greatbunnyVIPDined on 6/11/2014Fried food was greasy and the fish was very fishy. The pizza was the best thing served but we were looking for a more gourmet experience.
- One of Favorites!LuvZaxDined on 6/4/2014Zax is one of favorite restaurants in Austin. I frequent Zax for lunch and enjoy introducing friends to the restaurant. Love the location, love the ambience and love the food menu.Special Features:
- Great Saturday Morning BrunchSnapDined on 5/17/2014Ate here for Saturday morning brunch. Great eggs Benedict, loved the cheese and olive platter and especially the Bloody Mary Bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Mother's Day BrunchSteveSDined on 5/11/2014Made reservations for four for Mother's Day and everyone had a great meal with no problems.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our Long Center ChoiceMaryinNWHillsDined on 5/11/2014This is hands down the best choice if you are going to the Long Center. The food is good and the service understands the theater crowd demands. This is our go-to restaurant before or after performances.Special Features:
- Upscale CasualOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014We always enjoy Zax because the service and food are always excellent and it has a the feel of a nice restaurant without any stuffiness. It's a great place for lunch or brunch and I appreciate the extensive beer list.Special Features:
- Always a special treat...AustinbeVIPDined on 5/9/2014Great food. Great service. Great ambience. A favorite for meSpecial Features:
- The following 166 reviews are from the Zax Restaurant & Bar reviews archive.
- Zax is greatLynJDined on 5/3/2014Zax has a variety of great food. It is a perfect place for dinner before going to the opera or a show at the Long Center.Special Features:
- Before the Playsq46Dined on 4/24/2014Zax is my go-to place for a meal before a play, ballet or music event!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Placekim0304Dined on 4/20/2014The food was delicious! I had eggs Florentine, and the spinach and eggs were PERFECTLY cooked and fresh. I was very pleased.Special Features:
- Great find!JohnnyDVIPDined on 4/12/2014Zax is a new favorite in Austin for us. We celebrated our twin sons' 21st Birthday there this weekend and we could not have asked for a better experience. The service was perfect and the food was fantastic. We highly recommend this gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Waiter followed my requestOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/5/2014Waiter followed my request - no salt on butter on veggies. They were perfect!Special Features:
- ZAXGeorgeDined on 4/5/2014We were seated at a table for two. We had a reservation. We waited a long time before we received any service and when we did the server acted like she was doing us a favor. The food was good and the service improved while dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Before Long Center EventsPaulDined on 4/5/2014A great place to eat before going to a concert or other event at the Long Center. It is only a 5-minute walk. Tables are well-spaced, noise level is moderate, and there is a small patio. Blues Burger was very tasty and reasonably-priced. Pork Tenderloin dish was excellent too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice all around restaurantOzzieDined on 3/4/2014This is a great place for dinner or lunch before a Long Center performance. Staff are very efficient and polite. Food is very good. Décor is very "comfortable" for any occasion or dress.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good restaurant near Long'sOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/1/2014This is a good place to eat if you're going to Long's Performing Arts Center or Palmer Center. You can park and walk to Zax's. It's in a charming old Austin building and has outdoor seating. The menu has great variety and the beer selection is wonderful. The Sesame Crusted Tuna was really good and my husband loved his Veal Scallopini with Artichokes Hearts. The Ginger Creme Brulee is a superb dessert, enough for two if you're watching calories. I asked for my Tuna to be done medium rare instead of rare and it came out perfectly. The service is very good. We've eaten here twice and will definitely go back when we're in the neighborhood. Be sure and make a reservation if you are going to a popular event at the Centers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Zax is an excellent choiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/22/2014Zax is an excellent choice for dinner before a program at the Long Center. The food is consistently very good and so is the service. You park at the Long Center garage and it is only a short walk to Zax. Since you parked early, you have a parking spot that allows you to exit early from the garage.Special Features:
- Not for a Show NightelodieDined on 2/22/2014The staff went WAY above to accommodate our group with a bunch of past-the-cutoff additions. (sigh) Our food was cheat-worthy outstanding. The bartender hand made the strawberry margarita my friend ordered before our very eyes. Service was weak in the beginning but then got great as our night went on. HAD WE KNOWN, it was a show night (Theater, Symphony, I don't know), we'd have adjusted to either a very early dinner or a later one. The restaurant was so loud at one point that I couldn't hear my friend straight across from me. As soon as all the show goers left, the atmosphere was quite nice. It would be REALLY nice if Open Table could show timeslots that are "special" (less points, maybe?) so that it's clear that there are better times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ZAXGeorgeDined on 2/22/2014ZAX was crowded with pre-symphony patrons and very noisy. The service was fine and the food was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Attention to detailmanchamomDined on 2/22/2014We had not eaten at Zax in a few months and I was once again reminded why I like this restaurant. Our server was very knowledgeable about the wines and had an obvious experience with the wines he recommended. They were easily able to accommodate a dietary restriction and the waiter was able to describe how the dish would be different from what the description included. Overall, a very nice dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014Dinner was very good, but nothing wowed us about the experience. The food was very good, especially the sesame crusted tuna. I would recommend this place to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a good choiceAustinbeVIPDined on 2/12/2014Good food. Great value. Best atmosphere and service. Close to downtown, Zach Scott and Long Center A consistent choice for me!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Zax is Terrific!LynJDined on 2/1/2014Zax is a great place to eat, especially before going to the opera or another event at the Long Center. The food is delicious and the service fast and gracious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We tried Zax as a pre-operaLoriDined on 2/1/2014We tried Zax as a pre-opera dinner. Having never gone here before, we relied on reviews & the recommendation of the Long Center. I ordered the pork tenderloin with the spicy thai peanut sauce. The pork was cooked perfectly & the sauce was a great accompaniment. It also came with rum sweet potatoes, which were also tasty. However, the broccoli and cauliflower that were also on my plate were obviously frozen and had little taste or seasoning to make it seem like they tried. My husband had one of the specials, which was a ribeye steak with a bluecheese peppercorn sauce. His steak was cooked correctly and he enjoyed the flavors. He did not care much for the potatoes or asparagus that were also on his plate. The service was outstanding.Special Features: