505 Fore St.
Portland, ME 04101Neighborhood:
Mexican / SouthwesternPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.zapotecarestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2077728242
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00am, Sunday: 4:30pm - 9:00pm Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:00pm Bar closes one hour after dinnner
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican / Southwestern
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Special Events: On new years eve. we are offering a 5 course dinner $65 per person, and additional $25 per person for tequilla and wine pairing. Reservations only available for 6pm and 9pm.
A word from Zapoteca
Authentic Mexican flavors w/ Rustic, Bold FlairContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Zapoteca - Best Restaurants in Portland ›
Zapoteca reviews from OpenTable diners
164 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (109)neighborhood gem (54)special occasion (44)hot spot (41)vibrant bar scene (41)good for groups (36)romantic (21)notable wine list (19)great for lunch (18)great for brunch (14)late-night find (10)kid-friendly (6)Show More
- Open TableOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/20/2014never used Open Table before -- wish all restaurants had it availableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic! Texan in love!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014What a great menu. I had heard it was great food, but often I am skeptical and find that the food isn't as great as advertised. Often too, it is hard to find good spicy food, but this too was a great surprise. I was really looking forward to a "kick". It was fantastic, and very flavorful!!! A variety of authentic with some local options peppered in. We saw a few "foodgasms" going on around us... that says it all! Not only was the food great, and delivered exactly as requested, but our waitress was pleasant and attentive, while not hovering. The drinks came out with panache! It isn't often to see that happen in our small corner of the world. It added that extra fun to the evening. A lively atmosphere with great staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WOWOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014My lobster was so amazing that people came over from other tables to comment on if it was good or not. IT WAS! I will say the noise was quite loud. I didn't care, but if going with anyone even remotely hard of hearing you should skip it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great drinksOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/18/2014I had two of the El Traditional margaritas. They were the best margaritas I have ever had. I had the guacamole which was made to order and came with chips. Also very good. I ordered the pork carnitas which were dry and not worth the 22 price tag. They came with three tortillas and a side of dry black beans. My husband ordered the crab and shrimp enchiladas which were much better so maybe I just ordered the wrong dish. Overall I like the ambiance and the drinks but the food was just so so and very expensive for what you get.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MixedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/17/2014I had been here for lunch before but never for dinner, so was looking forward to trying their entrees. I ordered the chicken with mole sauce and was disappointed - the chicken was overcooked and tough, and the mole sauce nothing special. It was served with a bland rice and beans, a handful of pickled onions and grilled tortillas. My husband, on the other hand, had the duck, and he loved it. For starters, the ceviche was delicious and the chips and guac were good (but nothing special). Cocktails were good, and our server was very pleasant, had a great sense of humor and was attentive.Special Features:
- DisappointednikkyDined on 10/15/2014The noise level was very high. Our waiter was not very attentive. My steak was overcooked. The enchiladas were very good, though.Special Features:
- A delightLuvDiningOutVIPDined on 10/14/2014Excellent, creative Mexican restaurant with many familiar selections as well as unique and wonderfully prepared and flavored dishes. Handsome decor and caring service bSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious foodwillyDined on 10/12/2014slow food to table. attentive wait staff. creative cuisine. high qualitySpecial Features:
- Sunday night dateBJD60Dined on 10/12/2014Our Zapoteca dinner was great. A great location for a date regardless of what day it is!Special Features:
- Don't ask for another tableTommyVIPDined on 10/10/2014We've been before and we will go back. But. Service was very slow at the start and exposed problems in seating and communications. With reservations, a must any night at Zapoteca, we were going to get a table in the bar against an interior wall in the staff alley from the kitchen and service. I asked for the dining room, and without any problem from the front desk got it. Then we waited. For very nearly 20 mins while at least three servers sped back and forth from all the surrounding tables. Finally, a very nice waiter said she's ours, and tried very hard to keep up. Generally, it was a hard night for service.Special Features:
- Not so Good.mikemcDined on 10/10/2014This is one restaurant we will not return to or recommend. I ordered the halibut. it was way over cooked. I didn't complain, but for over 20 dollars maybe I should have. My wife order the tri-tip steak, rare and told the waitress that she didn't want any onions. (She hates onions) Her steak was so overcooked it was burned and sure enough there were onions. She did complain and they made her another dinner. No onions this time but the steak was very well done. I didn't try it but she said this is as tough as shoe leather. She likes hot sauce. She asked the waitress if they had any hot sauce and she brought her a small bowl of habanero paste. Total bill was just over 100 dollars. There are many better options in Portland.
- Flavorful and fun!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/9/2014We had a wonderful experience at Zapoteca! The ambiance is fun, exotic, and romantic, the servers were friendly, knowledgeable, and attentive, and the food was incredible. The salsas were the best, most unique, and most flavorful I've ever had. The chicken enchiladas with mole sauce were excellent. The depth of flavor and interesting flavor combinations were fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Underwhealming and Overpricedfoodie4maineDined on 10/3/2014This is my third trip to Zapoteca and after having two questionable experiences prior, this visit was the third strike. While the server was attentive, the execution in the kitchen was subpar. Food came out barely warm and the chicken was dry and tasteless. For Mexican cuisine, no matter how 'chef-driven' you purport to be, this level of quality would be expected by a restaurant like Margarita's but not an establishment whose average entree is $24. In addition, there is no mention of ingredient quality (locally sourced or organic) on the menu, which would substantiate the price-point if indeed true. Overall, definitely not worth another trip back. Especially since there are so many stellar dining options in the Portland area.
- Fantastic - Typical MexicanWalterDined on 10/2/2014Shannon prepared a special tasting menu for the 3 of us and Tom picked the paired drinks. This is a must visit for anyone who loves great food. Make sure if you want the tasting menu that you give them plenty of notice as the more time you give Shannon the more unique the courses.Special Features:
- Exceptional FreshbrunchDined on 9/29/2014All ingredients are organic and fresh. The margs are very good. The three items were ordered were all yummy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Mexican foodChowhoundDined on 9/29/2014We have been to Zapoteca several times and each time found quality ingredients, prepared and served and presented in a careful manner. The apps are varied and are as satisfiying as the main courses. It's a great place to dine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cheffbDined on 9/29/2014Zapoteca was very good, the only off thing I can say is that evening that we went they were out of a key ingredient that I was looking forward to having and that was the mole. I don't understand how the chef could drop the ball on that one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food good drinksyashDined on 9/28/2014We went for lunch with family, ordered some drinks off the brunch menu. Tacos were very good, ceviche was all right. The drinks were great. Order lunch from the brunch menu as well which was excellentSpecial Features:
- ReviewRecuerdosDined on 9/27/2014Excellent food. Reminds me of Mexico. The service was attentive and knowledgeable. A lovely atmosphere, although the sound level was high, due mostly to a table for six(at the other end of the room) was the main cause. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great Portland RestaurantluvfoodDined on 9/26/2014Loved the menu and the food preparation. Great margaritas!!Special Features:
- InconsistentCliveDined on 9/26/2014Had to return a small bread/appetizer plate that was not clean, Before the mussel appetizer even hit the table it was obvious to all three of us it was bad. It never should have left the kitchen....someone there should have known. We opted not to have another figuring the whole lot was bad. The stuffed jalapeno pepper appetizer was good and entrees we good. Many misspellings in the on-line menus. Maybe attention to detail is lacking throughout.
- Great dining experience!DanD1Dined on 9/21/2014My spouse and I love to eat out in Portland, but had never had the opportunity to eat at Zapoteca. We were very pleased with our experience. Although it is Mexican food, this is no Taco Bell. The menu items were authentic dishes, well prepared and presented. Food was delicious!! The restaurant is a bit noisy, which can make it hard to hear your seatmates. No lapses in service that we could tell. Definitely would recommend this to friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing foodfoodieonekinobeVIPDined on 9/18/2014Was just visiting Portland and was blown away with this Mexican restaurant. It totes it's tequila menu which was creative with mixed drinks. That was ok but the authenticity of the food was amazing. It was obvious that someone learned all the intricate flavors of Oaxacan cuisine. Absolutely delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Apps and drinks, skip dinnerJJPPDined on 9/17/2014The appetizers and drinks were definitely the star of the meal. Dinner was alright. Of the three friends I went with, my meal was definitely the stand out, I had the carnitas and they were cooked to perfection, but one friend's steak was a little underwhelming and so was anothers' enchiladas. But this is a fantastic place to hit up for drinks. Their guac with bacon is amazing and civeche is out of this world!Special Features:
- Always GreatStevanVIPDined on 9/15/2014Have eaten here multiple times. Good food, interesting choices, solid service, great drinks. A must do on the Portland food scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- zapotecaOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/12/2014Food is very good, with original flavor ideas. The brick wood oven enhances the flavor of much of the food, and the wonderful tequila list is a great accompaniment to the appetizers. The wine and beer lists could be expanded, and the noise/sound level of the room should be addressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Worth The Prices3bagsDined on 9/3/2014The food was good but way too pricey. $28 for seafood stew with nothing else like salad or pasta or vegetables. And our waitress disappeared - turned out she was bar tending and we had to ask someone to find her.Special Features:
- Not worth itReviwer1963eDined on 9/1/2014We decided that we would try Zapoteca for a change of culinary pace. Host was somewhat detached and ambivalent. We were seated fairly quickly in a booth that was truly cramped. Waitress was cheery enough yet, did not come by our table often enough. Drinks werecent but nothing special. Food was extremely slow to arrive and we received basically no updates on its' progress. We all ordered something different. Food was plenty hot but average at best. They have a long way to go to be considered anything more than mediocre. We probably will not be back again.Special Features:
- Always wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/31/2014I've been to this restuarant many times and I have yet to have a poor experience. The guacamole is wonderful, I made certain the plates on both entrees were cleaned off, the desserts were excellent, and my wife loved her drink. The only "issues" we had were that the waitress didn't stop by from the time she took our order to the time she dropped off the check (someone else brought us the food), and they had run out of desserts early so we only have a couple choices. Every table was booked so both issues were understandable and not the sort of thing we've run into before. There was a major concert in town that day so they may not have anticipated the staffing needs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mexican cuisine at its finestReenyVIPDined on 8/31/2014This was our second visit and can't wait to return. The food is extraordinary and I'm not a huge Mexican food fan. The lobster guacamole is exceptional - would be even without the lobster! Service is great and Chef Nick is innovative with combinations of flavors and just the right amount of spice. He uses spice as it should be - for layers of flavors and enhancement to the food rather than making you sweat and burn your taste buds (although you can order extra heat if that's your thing). For my main course, I had halibut on creamy green chile sauce - mouth-watering layers of flavors. And don't forget the tequila -creative Margueritas and great choice of fine sipping top shelf tequila. Service is great as is the ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome restaurantKimoDined on 8/31/2014I love this restaurant! It's gourmet Mexican. One gets all the wonderful Mexican spices & flavors in wonderfully presented and executed creative menu items. The food is extremely fresh and clean. Our service was perfect. Loved the margaritas shaken and poured tableside. We had a party of 10 and there were no complaints when we asked for separate checks. Highly recommend Zapoteca.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Deliscious!!!Foodi2Dined on 8/31/2014Tasty salsa's. ordered the flight of salsa's but it was too much for 2 people who also wanted to get entrees. The Duck entrée was really good. The blood orange Margarita was bitter. The regular one was sweet. Will go back to try the enchilada.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JEMbotkkkDined on 8/31/2014Excellent food at a fair price. The entre that I had was nothing short of right on. The flavors and presentation were well matched. A must do kind of place.Special Features:
- felt a bit rushedsummerDined on 8/30/2014Barely sat down and the waitress asked what I would like to drink, I told her I would like to look at the drink menu and my friend was in the rest room and I would like to wait for her. She barely sat down and the same thing. At that time we ordered our drinks, the waitress asked if we were ready to order-didn't even look at the menu yet! Ordered our meal - mine was barely warm. We just finished our meal and she asked if we would like dessert, we said no thank you - and there was the check! no time to order an after dinner drink. We went somewhere else for our after dinner drink. Not sure if I would rush backSpecial Features:
- Hocky37Dined on 8/28/2014This was our second visit to Zapoteca in the last month, with two trips to Maine! Drinks are unique and delicious and the food is the most original and reasonable Southwest/Mexican we can remember having anywhere. The Jalapenos Rellenos De Queso appetizer was fantastic and the Relleno de Champinones entry were both my favorites to try. I highly recommend a visit, call a few days in advance and take some time to sit at the bar and enjoy!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and service!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014The food and service were both excellent. They put a very creative twist on Mexican/Southwestern food. The menu includes many seafood dishes which you don't typically find in this type of restaurant. Our server was also one of tge best we've had. He pace out tge timing of our meals perfectly and also reccomended a wine and cheese bar he thought we would enjoy as well. We live locally and we haven't heard of this place and it is something we will check out. Also, thank you Open Table, we wouldn't have found this restaurant with out you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Interesting dishes very clean and fresh. Tasty but not over whelming . Need a little more gluten free and vegetarian dishes on menu but were willing to make adjustments. Service was a little halting but over all goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- On my list of favoritesSistawomanDined on 8/23/2014This restaurant was a great surprise! I have eaten in many fine Mexican restaurants in the southwest and expected the usual mediocre east coast facsimile but this restaurant is as authentic. I have never had mole or guacamole any better anywhere! The menu is creative ,and the food is beautifully presented. This is surely one of Portland's gems and that is saying something! The service was excellent and the valet parking was an additional surprise. The drinks are ice cold and exquisite, This is at the top of my list now!!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/22/2014We have been coming to this restaurant since it opened and have been so happy about the " not your traditional mexican" food... But our last experience was not as great as usual. The guacamole was pretty boring ..no spice of any kind, pretty much just avacados. They have fancier guacamole and maybe that's why this was lacking. Also the carnitas have changed! We come here for the carnitas, which used to be delicious perfectly prepared chunks of pork. This time they were sort of shredded dry bits formed into a square shape! The mole was good as was the fish stew dish...but we REALLY missed those carnitas !
- LoudOtooleDined on 8/21/2014Zapoteca was fun. We had great Tequila selections, nice wine list and great starters, ceviche etc. Two of us ordered the pork dish (not ribs) whose flavor was great but sadly very dry. Used a lot if lime juice. It is very loud in the restaurant so if you are not up for speaking very loudly and saying "What" often it may not be the place for you. We will definitely go back though. Mostly the food was good, fresh and creative. Cool bar and very good service. I am sorry I can't remember our waiter's name. Although he was very busy but we never had to wait long for anything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.